What happens if you catch Covid onboard?

vietmom

7 minutes ago, vietmom said:

What is the process these days if someone catches covid during the cruise?

I tested positive on Sunday 28 after embarking on Thursday 25. I don’t know whether I unknowingly boarded with it, or picked it up in the very crowded terminal. I was told to quarantine in our cabin (luckily a Q4) until the following Saturday. My husband was allowed to remain with me, and allowed to do whatever he wanted, on or off the ship, except eat and drink in the bars and restaurants. I’m not sure about the logic of this. He did Covid tests for six days. When they were all negative, he was liberated to use the restaurants, so that was just before me. We were very kindly treated, our butler in particular was brilliant, but nonetheless, it was not terribly enjoyable.

Thank you for your reply. We boarded on May 25 as well. My husband started having a sore throat this morning, and we are waiting in the cabin to call the medical center when they open.

I just want to be prepared for what we are facing if he has covid. Unfortunately,  we are just in a sheltered balcony. It could be a long week.

6 minutes ago, vietmom said:

Thank you for your reply. We boarded on May 25 as well. My husband started having a sore throat this morning, and we are waiting in the cabin to call the medical center when they open.

I just want to be prepared for what we are facing if he has covid. Unfortunately,  we are just in a sheltered balcony. It could be a long week.

It may not be Covid of course. I thought I had a cold initially, though I did feel quite grim the next two days. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, techteach said:

Thanks for this reminder - I’m going to put our covid tests in the suitcase right now.

An in date couple of Covid tests are now part of my 'keep in suitcase' kit, along with hair conditioner now which I forgot two weeks ago and as a consequence can definitely confirm the weediness of the supplied Penhaligon conditioner! 😐

5 hours ago, vietmom said:

What is the process these days if someone catches covid during the cruise?

In effect you don't have to do anything or inform anyone. I am sure there are many who don't tell anyone or quarantine. We caught COVID in March on another cruise line. We caught it we think in last couple of days as we had no symptoms until the day after we got home and tested and was positive. I am convinced that we caught it on the ship from somebody that perhaps knowing they had COVID but didn't do anything.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

. I am convinced that we caught it on the ship from somebody that perhaps knowing they had COVID but didn't do anything.

Or.... they could have been wandering around the ship pre-symptomatic and infected others.... sort of like what you may have been doing while making your way home.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Or.... they could have been wandering around the ship pre-symptomatic and infected others.... sort of like what you may have been doing while making your way home.

Difference on leaving the ship we didn't wander around anywhere we went straight home by car and didn't go anywhere until we tested positive. We then stayed at home until we got negative tests.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

we had it on QE last year. We were in an inside cabin and were moved to a balcony until we tested negative for 2 consecutive days (after 5 days). I had no symptoms at any point and OH was just starting to feel a bit off colour when there was a shipwide test after leaving San Fransisco. Hope it all goes ok for you. 

We were on Queen Victoria in Jan/Feb when we both developed Covid. In advance of the trip, we had been extremely cautious, but we think we picked it up the night before we boarded (in a crowded NY restaurant). Fortunately, we had come aboard fully prepared. We had 5 tests each, a course of Paxlovid each, and a medicine cabinet full of medicine:  cough drops, VapoRub, Cold and Flu capsules, etc., all just in case.

We both tested positive on the 6th day after boarding (we tested ourselves, because we both had very sore throats), and called the medical center to let them know. We were advised to isolate, and that we'd be tested again in 6 days. On the evening of the 5th day, we tested ourselves. Still positive! We were afraid that the test the next morning wouldn't be a good one. The nurse came to our cabin, tested us both, and said she'd call us in a few hours. Good news! We were negative and could resume normal shipboard life. We immediately ran to the restaurant for lunch!

We encountered several fellow passengers who had also come down with Covid. One of them had tested positive for 11 days. On the 11th day he was released from captivity, because he was told that he wouldn't be contagious at that point, even though he still tested positive. But, 11 days in a cabin!

If we had to recuperate from Covid, there could be worse places than on a cruise ship. After all, sea voyages used to be prescribed for convalescing. 

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 3

Just now, lissie said:

Nothing to claim on  minimal to no medical costs I should think 

No medical costs, but compensation for isolation specifically mentioned, as Cunard suggests. Not the whole day’s fare, but something. I could have paid more and got higher compensation.

Just now, exlondoner said:

No medical costs, but compensation for isolation specifically mentioned, as Cunard suggests. Not the whole day’s fare, but something. I could have paid more and got higher compensation.

Lucky you - US$62 / day doesn't really cover for the extra I'd drink being confined. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, lissie said:

Lucky you - US$62 / day doesn't really cover for the extra I'd drink being confined. 

Better still, being in QG, though the kindness of our butler, we got our free bar resupplied with wine whenever necessary. He would have brought gin too, but we didn’t need it.

So, we called the medical center yesterday, and my husband tested positive for covid😢. I tested negative. He is confined to the cabin. For up to 15 days (which takes us to the end of our cruise). I can go out wearing a mask, but can't go to anywhere that serves food. He has to retest in 6 days (really 7) and i have to test every other day. I haven't really gone out except to walk around the promenade deck late last night. It is so disappointing to spend two weeks of the cruise we waited 3 years for stuck in a little cabin. It certainly isnt what we planned. At least my husband isn't particularly sick and just feels like he has a cold.