10 Drink Card at Embarkation

I haven't seen since the restart, but could ask at any bar, bartender would sell you one if they've got them.  Seems like they were there to increase sales and no need now for the help as Royal is doing fine without them. 

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I doubt price… It sounds like 10+ years ago card and it was never offered on embarkation. IIRC it was after several days at least.

You're probably right, but let's math it up:  

- Let's assume an average $14 cocktail.  Plus 18% mandatory gratuity.  One cocktail costs about $16.52.  Ten cocktails would cost $165.20 . 

- The drink of the day is about $10.50 + 18% mandatory gratuity -- so the drink of the day is about $12.39.  

- We can't expect that a 10-punch card -- if it existed -- would give us a drink for less than the drink of the day.  So I'd expect a 10-punch card to cost about 123.90 .  Such a card would save a cruiser about $40.  

- Ten drinks seems like a more realistic option (as compared to all the drinks you could possibly imbibe in a week for hundreds and hundreds of dollars) for most cruisers.  Personally, I didn't drink ten drinks on my last cruise -- but if this card had been available, I probably would've bought it.  And I probably wouldn't have used all ten punches.  

and that's the best price for which we could hope with a 10-punch card.  

• Like 1

That picture is very old even a few years prior to Covid.

Only one report on one ship one week only since restart, can't remember that price, offered afternoon on day 6 of a 7 day cruise, so 2 nights to use.

Even before covid it was rarely avaliable then only on the last 2 days.  Thinking that the appeal seems to be those that imbibe in few drinks, it breaks down to doing 5 drinks a day for those 2 days. So for a couple it might work but generally requires you to drink more than you normally would.

Which is the point as it is offered when ship didn't meet the revenue goal that sailing.

Edited by cruisegus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisefun77 said:

Here's the picture that was on Twitter, eluding to an April 30 cruise.  But, since it's on printed cruise compass, I do questions how long ago this was.

Screenshot_20230614-172813.png

1. There is still a printed Cruise Compass.

2. I have now read the rest of the stuff on the CC that you posted.  This is absolutely VERY VERY OLD.  

3. It's not from "April 30".  There is an item about buying a mug of cider on CHRISTMAS MORNING.

Royal offered a 10 drink option YEARS ago, towards the end of the cruise. It wasn’t offered on all ships, all the time. It was 10 punches with a flat fee and shareable. Back then it came out price wise to be the cost of 8 or 9 mixed drinks. I was told it was offered on those cruises when the beverage dept, had not met their  goal. 

Definitely  saw it offered but not since 2016 or so. 

m

10 hours ago, cruisefun77 said:

But, since it's on printed cruise compass, I do questions how long ago this was.

That is from Grandeur, likely many years ago while she was in Baltimore. She did have the card offered, even the beer card (for $60) way back, when few other ships were offering it. Enchantment offered the beer card as recently as about 18 months ago from Baltimore.

This appears to be from Christmas of 2017 (or earlier).

Over at Royal Caribbean Blog dot com they have Grandeur Cruise Compasses from over the years.  

Somewhere around June 2018 they switched formats.

Prior to June 2018 they used the format:

------------- HEADING TITLE----------------

Text about the special of the day

For example:

image.jpeg.bacc867862faf49eaeae55242cc656a3.jpeg

After June 2018 they started using:

Heading Title

Text about the special of the day

For example:

image.jpeg.feda7c5b4edaa1af7b97e5a3aec0da8f.jpeg

Since the photo uses the old format of  

------------- SEA DAY BEVERAGE PACKAGE SPECIAL!----------------

This appears to be from Christmas of 2017 (or earlier)

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1