Current Power Strip Policy

Warrenf186

45 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

The reason that nobody knows if their extender will be confiscated is that the people who are confiscating them have no idea why they are taking or why they are confiscating them.  All they know is that they have a little piece of paper that they were given that says "me see power strip; me confiscate power striip.  Do you think that they have any idea at all of the difference between a surge protected strip and a none protected one.

DON

No they don't! You are exactly right.

The funny thing is I was told that the electrician was going to look at it to see if they would allow it. This was never done.

On 6/15/2023 at 7:52 AM, capriccio said:

We have the same power strip that is shown in post #4.  I just taped the Amazon description onto the back of it in case any of the crew had a question about it.  If anyone did, we never heard about it and have had no problem with it sitting on the desk.

Same here.  But no one asked as it passed through the X-ray machine in my carryon.  My backup is a multiple USB port that plugs into an outlet. All we need to power are phone, watch and iPad chargers.

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The reason that nobody knows if their extender will be confiscated is that the people who are confiscating them have no idea why they are taking or why they are confiscating them.  All they know is that they have a little piece of paper that they were given that says "me see power strip; me confiscate power striip.  Do you think that they have any idea at all of the difference between a surge protected strip and a none protected one.

DON

This is exactly my fear.

21 minutes ago, david63 said:

One of the issues is that being from the UK I need a power strip convertor from US plug to UK socket

I heard that the plugs by the bed are European and we'd need a European to North American converter for those lol

49 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

I heard that the plugs by the bed are European and we'd need a European to North American converter for those lol

There is no such thing as a "European" plug - there are at least six different plugs in Europe. Also there are no plugs by the bed, there are however sockets.

There is generally a socket for 240v near the desk. There is also one under the bed that has the bedside lamps plugged into it.  I have a converter (just plug converter not a voltage changer) that has several different "slide out" plugs. It worked well for me in Southampton and Barcelona. Most electronics these days don't care if they get 120v or 240v. Some curling irons for hair will only work with one or the other so be careful there.

The one I have is located HERE on Amazon. There a lot of different adapters and several have been posted here on CC in the past. I bought mine back in 2019 and, since then, have seen others posted here that I might well buy instead if I had seen them back then but mine works fine for my purposes. I will be packing it this fall when we sail Australia/New Zealand. It should work fine for us in our Melbourne hotel.

Edited by Thrak

• 6 months later...

We are going on Emerald Princess Panama Canal cruise from. Ft.Lauderdale soon. I haven't seen any CC postings about Power Strips, etc  for that ship. Does anyone know if we should have any concerns for that ship. Between the two of us would need to recharge 2 phones, iPad, 2 watches, hearing aids, etc.  My wife says no one knows of any issues on Facebook and they don't  know why she should  ask. To try and avoid any issues with a corded multi outlet, I ordered this non-surge protector adapter from Amazon & hope it works and doesn't get confiscated......

https://a.co/d/8TvyVs7 

Posted (edited)

I rarely need an actual power strip when we cruise, but we occasionally need one in pre-cruise hotels & such.  Most everything we need on the ship can be handled via a multi-tap Anker USB brick.  Have never had any issues with that, but then again...it looks nothing like a power strip.  What I carry for the possibility of needing multiple outlets is this:

Power Tap.jpg

It doesn't give you a lot of plugs (only 3) but it has always served the purpose.  As small as it is...it *always* gets through x-ray because it does not look like a power strip!

It is perfect to plug in 2 CPAPs.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

10 hours ago, Willwils said:

We are going on Emerald Princess Panama Canal cruise from. Ft.Lauderdale soon. I haven't seen any CC postings about Power Strips, etc  for that ship. Does anyone know if we should have any concerns for that ship. Between the two of us would need to recharge 2 phones, iPad, 2 watches, hearing aids, etc.  My wife says no one knows of any issues on Facebook and they don't  know why she should  ask. To try and avoid any issues with a corded multi outlet, I ordered this non-surge protector adapter from Amazon & hope it works and doesn't get confiscated......

https://a.co/d/8TvyVs7 

Power strips with a surge protector are not permitted. They interrupt the ship's power system. A ship's power system has some differences to land based systems.

Power strips or extensions without a surge protector are permitted. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Power strips with a surge protector are not permitted. They interrupt the ship's power system. A ship's power system has some differences to land based systems.

We all know that's, but that's not the issue here

On 6/14/2023 at 8:10 PM, SuzieQ521 said:

Power strip without surge protector should be ok; we sailed a few weeks ago on Royal Princess and brought this, no problem: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BN4Z47CK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We were on Royal Princess in Dec. 2023 and had no problem bringing this one:

image.png.686616a39b8f7c4a82d84b7d156f5aa5.png

2 hours ago, skynight said:

And mine was confiscated after 20 years of using and a ton of cruises on multiple lines.

34 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Assuming you get a screener who actually understands the difference!

I taped the Amazon description on the back of the one we have.  Just in case we ever run into a problem that would be my first line of defense.

30 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I taped the Amazon description on the back of the one we have.  Just in case we ever run into a problem that would be my first line of defense.

Excellent idea! I think I will do the same

Posted (edited)

Here is another handy item that I carry just in case the item I showed in post #35 cannot be used due to the orientation of the plug.  I really like this one because it is VERY compact (4.5 inches long), supplies you with 3 outlets and the input power plug is plugged into the "strip" itself, making for an extremely compact device.  (One more plug not shown on the bottom.)

https://www.amazon.com/Element-Hz-Power-2-Compact-Strip/dp/B06XXPKL8C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T96CCGHFLGV7&keywords=element+power+series&qid=1704828563&sprefix=element+power+series%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-3

Mini-Extension.jpg

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

15 hours ago, capriccio said:

We've had no issues using this one on our last 4 Princess cruises (no problems on MSC either):  https://a.co/d/3mGQBdQ

I have that one, too.  I don't leave it out when away from the cabin, and I do not carry it in my carry on bags that go through the xray scanner.  It is always in my luggage given to the porter.    

2 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I have that one, too.  I don't leave it out when away from the cabin, and I do not carry it in my carry on bags that go through the xray scanner.  It is always in my luggage given to the porter.    

And we always have it in our carry-on!  May we both continue to never have any issues with it!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Here is another handy item that I carry just in case the item I showed in post #35 cannot be used due to the orientation of the plug. 

The orientation of the plugs, especially at the desk, need to be updated.  I was recently on Grand Princess, it is was not well designed.  With the two light switches right next to the two plugs, it renders one plug useless especially when trying to charge my iPad or iPhone due to the way their charging brick is designed. 

2 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

The orientation of the plugs, especially at the desk, need to be updated.  I was recently on Grand Princess, it is was not well designed.  With the two light switches right next to the two plugs, it renders one plug useless especially when trying to charge my iPad or iPhone due to the way their charging brick is designed. 

You are correct...but there's always a solution...even for that!

Power splitter.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You are correct...but there's always a solution...even for that!

You WIN the "there's a gadget for that" prize!  All those things were designed for when the engineer/architect didn't think through the actual customer needing to charge ALL THE THINGS.  LOL!   (I resemble that description b/c I carry too many things that need to be charged. 😉 )