Oddity on the Odyssey

During a May sailing on the Odyssey the main smoking area was located right next to the pool area. This is the pool that is open to young people and smoke could be smelled all over that area. That is just plain crazy. I guess the problem is that there is no real fantail area on this ship and that is really the only inoffensive place to banish the smokers.

I get it, smoking is controversial (especially on a European itinerary), but Royal needs to tear the band-aid off and just make the ships all non-smoking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, FlaviaOfTheMonth said:

During a May sailing on the Odyssey the main smoking area was located right next to the pool area. This is the pool that is open to young people and smoke could be smelled all over that area. That is just plain crazy. I guess the problem is that there is no real fantail area on this ship and that is really the only inoffensive place to banish the smokers.

I get it, smoking is controversial (especially on a European itinerary), but Royal needs to tear the band-aid off and just make the ships all non-smoking.

Like already posted....most Royal ships have a smoking area around the pool deck. You may want to look into Royal's sister line, Celebrity...they have more restrictive smoking policies

Edited by bajathree

1 minute ago, FlaviaOfTheMonth said:

I'm surprised to hear that so many ships have this. There were not that many people smoking on our cruise. Seems crazy to expose everyone else to smoke for such a small group.

Consider yourself lucky then....that area is usually very busy.

• Like 2

Both Celebrity and Royal have smoking sections on the pool deck, at least every ship I've sailed.  I just find out which side (port or starboard), and avoid that area.  

On windy days, depending on where the smoking section is located, smoke drafts either into the Solarium area or the Windjammer/Ocean View Cafe.  That's when I find it very annoying.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 11:37 AM, jwlane said:

Not a chance.

Agreed, I'm not a smoker and can't stand it but I do travel with people who smoke. So if Royal went to all smoke-free cruises we would probably have to go with a different crusie line. Luckily the smoking areas are far and few in between compared to 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, teddybear231 said:

Agreed, I'm not a smoker and can't stand it but I do travel with people who smoke. So if Royal went to all smoke-free cruises we would probably have to go with a different crusie line. Luckily the smoking areas are far and few in between compared to 10 years ago.

I may be wrong but when sailed around Australia in 2020 on Radiance, the ship was no smoking.  Fine with me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I may be wrong but when sailed around Australia in 2020 on Radiance, the ship was no smoking.  Fine with me.

Did that have anything to do with smoking laws in Australia? I'm curious because Singapore doesn't allow public smoking (which is close to Australia). I'm going on a cruise from Singapore and hoping it's smoke-free because 

40 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Did that have anything to do with smoking laws in Australia? I'm curious because Singapore doesn't allow public smoking (which is close to Australia). I'm going on a cruise from Singapore and hoping it's smoke-free because 

It is due to the Australian law.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, deliver42 said:

On Oasis Class it's port side, on the rest it's starboard. There is another area on the Quantum Class called the bus stop outside the Via, but I don't remember what side.

The bus stop is aft starboard deck 5 

12 hours ago, deliver42 said:

On Oasis Class it's port side, on the rest it's starboard. 

Sorry, this is not factual. I've sailed almost all of the V/F class ships and many of those sailings had port side smoking.

37 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What type of venue is the Bus Stop? I don't recall such a place in Odyssey.

It is out on the outside deck on deck 5 and is a glass box with chairs and ashtrays that people think looks like a bus stop.  It is just a designated covered smoking area, not really a venue you would visit unless you smoke.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Is this for all ships that sail from an Australia port? Irrespective of itinerary?

I think so but not sure.  I heard that when they brought a ship from China to Australia they had to do a mamor cleaning to remove smoke smell and residue.