Beach day at Corfu or Katakolon

Anhe2823

2 hours ago, Anhe2823 said:

I’m organised for most days on our cruise but looking for help in planning some time at a beach preferably with water sports at either Corfu or Katakolon. Any advice appreciated.

If you go to the roll call for your cruise you should find people who possibly are arranging trips like this you may be able to join. Alternatively they may be able to advise you. Alternatively look at cruise critic ports of call. If you have difficulty finding your roll call reply here and I will direct you…

Edited by chemmo

3 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Corfu has beautiful beaches. I think the other port is mostly for the historical side of the Olympics. 

Corfu does have more beaches, but Katakolon, as I remember, has one right where the ship docks. I do not know about water sports and availability.

5 hours ago, Anhe2823 said:

Thank you. I’ve been on our roll call and it’s a very quiet one.

What are the dates of your cruise and ship? If it is more than 6 months away it is not unusual to be quiet. You could always look up some possible tours yourself and post your ideas on the roll call and see if others are interested.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 8:26 AM, Anhe2823 said:

I’m organised for most days on our cruise but looking for help in planning some time at a beach preferably with water sports at either Corfu or Katakolon. Any advice appreciated.

Unless Olympia is of major interest to you, I would opt for a beach day at Katakolon as it is really only a one street town and sightseeing here might take an hour or less.  It does though have a number of beaches fairly close and you could google something like "Katakolon beaches" for info.

On the other hand, scenic Corfu  has much to offer aside from beaches and you might find sightseeing in either Corfu Town or elsewhere on the island with a taxi tour or shorex more appealing..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

On one of our visits to Katakolon, we rented a car (easy to do in town within walking distance of the pier) and decided to explore the coast towards the north (where you find most of the beaches).  The closest beach was about 4 miles distant and there were some nicer beaches even further north (i.e. Paralia Skafida, Paralia Agios Llias) where they did have a few beach umbrellas/loungers for rent (we just had lunch at a nearby restaurant).  

We did not notice any public transportation (i.e. buses) in the region so folks would either need to rent a car or hire a taxi.

Hank

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm thinking we will ride the funky looking train to the winery and the beach.  I'm hoping it's running October 25 when we are there.  Any thoughts?  Hank, I'm looking at you😄

Beach facilities will probably be closed by the end of October.  That is past the beach season in Greece. 

The train may be running to the winery.

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 8:31 AM, Hlitner said:

On one of our visits to Katakolon, we rented a car (easy to do in town within walking distance of the pier) and decided to explore the coast towards the north (where you find most of the beaches).  The closest beach was about 4 miles distant and there were some nicer beaches even further north (i.e. Paralia Skafida, Paralia Agios Llias) where they did have a few beach umbrellas/loungers for rent (we just had lunch at a nearby restaurant).  

We did not notice any public transportation (i.e. buses) in the region so folks would either need to rent a car or hire a taxi.

Hank

Hello Hank,

I'm interested in doing something similar for our upcoming cruise in September while in Katakolon.  We prefer to head to the beach and don't want to go to the beach close to port.  What was your favorite beach of the ones you mentioned?

Also, how much should we expect to pay for a car rental in Katakolon?  Your post made it sound as though that was pretty easy to do.

3 hours ago, mansfield 1 said:

Hello Hank,

I'm interested in doing something similar for our upcoming cruise in September while in Katakolon.  We prefer to head to the beach and don't want to go to the beach close to port.  What was your favorite beach of the ones you mentioned?

Also, how much should we expect to pay for a car rental in Katakolon?  Your post made it sound as though that was pretty easy to do.

We have not rented a car since COVID, so have no clue as to the current pricing.  There are some major agencies in town, but we have usually rented from a local place that was not far from the cruise ship pier.  As you got to the main street of town (runs parallel to the water) there was a place that had a large sign about renting cars.  You can also look online at some of the locals such as Dias Travel Agency (https://www.rentacarkatakolo.gr/en/).  We have used them in the past, but since it was pre-covid we will only mention the name without a specific recommendation.  So much, around the world, has changed post covid that we all need to be a bit cautious (many businesses have changed hands),

As to the beach, certainly ask for suggestions wherever you rent a car.  We mentioned Parilia Agios Llias, which looked like an OK beach (we did not rent on the beach because the weather was not good).  But our information is about 5-6 years old, and again we like to caution that COVID has impacted many tourist places.  With some luck you might get some posts with more recent (i.e. this year) information.

Hank

We have visited Katakalon numerous times, and usually head to the beach.  Our preference is St. Andreas about ten minutes by taxi or by the fun train.   The further north ones were fine but not exceptional in our opinion to warrant the time and cost to get there.   The driving is easy. 

In Corfu, there are several good beaches but our best excursion was on the Nautilus boat where we visited several great swimming spots.   The water at Paleokastritsa was so cold in the summer to be unbearable and I’m Canadian.  

Edited by bennybear