Looking for greener grass….

PhD-iva

On 6/25/2023 at 2:39 PM, PaulMCO said:

Yes they are readily available as are Ubers.  Ubers are generally better so called black taxis

Beyond Uber is the local ride-share + super service for UAE called Careem.  Although the ride share portion is owned by Uber, I found that Careem tended to work better and faster than Uber.  Prices also seemed better on Careem - I suspect that they market segment with Uber tending to get the visiting traffic (who are used to using Uber in their home countries) and Careem getting residents.

21 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Is this semantics, or a real change?

On the current Viking Saturn sailing from Iceland to Bergen (which it appears you are boarding after it arrives in Bergen), the included (as in no extra charge) excursions are: Panoramic Lofoten, Highlights of Longyearbyen and Drive to North Cape. Each is offered multiple times during the port stop, but they are the same tour.

There are, of course, a variety of other tours in each port, all chargeable. 🍺🥌

“My Viking Journey” for our cruise beginning next week shows two included excursions for Lofoten (Panoramic Lofoten and Panoramic Lofoten by Land and Sea); two included exursions for Longyearben (Highlights of Longyearben and Wildlife Safari by Boat); and two included excursions for Tromso, which I mistakenly wrote as North Cape (Panoramic Tromso and Tromso by Foot).

Semantics? Hardly.

1 minute ago, SJD117 said:

“My Viking Journey” for our cruise beginning next week shows two included excursions for Lofoten (Panoramic Lofoten and Panoramic Lofoten by Land and Sea); two included exursions for Longyearben (Highlights of Longyearben and Wildlife Safari by Boat); and two included excursions for Tromso, which I mistakenly wrote as North Cape (Panoramic Tromso and Tromso by Foot).

Semantics? Hardly.

So, a change from the voyage just preceding yours.

That was one of my question options (semantics or change) - semantics would have been the same excursion offered at multiple times. No reason for you to take offense - none was intended. 🍺🥌

50 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

So, a change from the voyage just preceding yours.

That was one of my question options (semantics or change) - semantics would have been the same excursion offered at multiple times. No reason for you to take offense - none was intended. 🍺🥌

So we’re comparing apples to apples: Are you looking at the “My Viking Journey” for the Reykjavik - Bergen sailing that left on June 21? MVJ would have the most current tours for that itinerary, as does the MVJ for our cruise next week.

7 hours ago, SJD117 said:

So we’re comparing apples to apples: Are you looking at the “My Viking Journey” for the Reykjavik - Bergen sailing that left on June 21? MVJ would have the most current tours for that itinerary, as does the MVJ for our cruise next week.

I wish I were. 

We were booked on the June 7 - July 5  NYC - Bergen version but had to cancel a few days before departure. As a result, I have no current access to MVJ for that trip. As of June 4, MVJ had only the single included excursion in the 3 ports, as did the formal send of the full set of excursions.

It's possible that it changed for the June 21 leg, but it's the rarity of having multiple included excursions that prompted my question. Enjoy your trip. 🍺🥌

3 minutes ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Been cruising 35 years & I'm absolutely besotted with Viking Ocean! The total experience of ship design, service, dining, & onboard atmosphere tick all of my admittedly persnickety preferences for cruise travel! Cannot recommend Viking enough. 

Have you cruised with other lines or only Viking?

1 hour ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Viking, Holland America, Cunard, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, MSC 

52 sailings amongst these lines.

So no Premium lines to compare  Viking to 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

We liked Viking better than in a regular stateroom on Celebrity but not after we sailed O. No more Viking Ocean for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We liked Viking better than in a regular stateroom on Celebrity but not after we sailed O. No more Viking Ocean for us.

I'm planning to sail aboard Vista in 2024, which will be my first O cruise.  I  have to admit your experience could be mine. 

2 hours ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

I can understand why you like Viking comparing it to mainstream / mass market lines.

It would be interesting to see how it compares to O (or another premium line).

17 minutes ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

I'm planning to sail aboard Vista in 2024, which will be my first O cruise.  I  have to admit your experience could be mine. 

We loved Viking, but are moving to O because there are just more things on O. We'll see how it goes. You can't beat Vikings customer service, I think. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Tell us you've never been in a Queens Grill suite or even Princess Grill on Cunard without actually saying so.   

But this is not apples to apples comparison. You are still on a large ship, with all the crowds, and the price for Princess Grill is typically more than PH on O.. And the perks you get there are included for all guests on O.

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But this is not apples to apples comparison. You are still on a large ship, with all the crowds, and the price for Princess Grill is typically more than PH on O. And the perks you get there are included for all guests on O.

No, the passenger to space ration on the Queen Mary II, is much higher than on the "uncrowded" Oceania ships.  There are no more crowds on QMII (actually less) than the O class ships. I sailed to Europe on the Marina and returned a couple of weeks later on the QMII.  The food in both princess and Queens grill is as good or better than Oceania, the suites I've been in on O are not any nicer.   Equal value per dollar spent.

I take it you don't agree, so please relate your experience.

Edited by shepherd really

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But this is not apples to apples comparison. You are still on a large ship, with all the crowds, and the price for Princess Grill is typically more than PH on O.. And the perks you get there are included for all guests on O.

Never been on Cunard but it would also seem to mean kids too!! I see they have specific children activity centers and programs.  I’m sorry….that is a deal breaker for me. I saw someone else note that hey kids are great but absolutely no desire to vacation with someone else’s kids.  Same applies to all inclusive resorts…..

4 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

No, the passenger to space ration on the Queen Mary II, is much higher than on the "uncrowded" Oceania ships.  There are no more crowds on QMII (actually less) than the O class ships. I sailed to Europe on the Marina and returned a couple of weeks later on the QMII.  The food in both princess and Queens grill is as good or better than Oceania, the suites I've been in on O are not any nicer.   Equal value per dollar spent.

I take it you don't agree, so please relate your experience.

The passenger to space ratio on QM2 is 56 compared to 52 on the O ships, so only slightly higher. The ratio on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth is 44, so significantly lower than O class ships.

I was on QM2 twice in regular cabins. It felt much more crowded than Riviera. I assume the food Queens grill is comparable to O. But then again, if you look at prices, you can see that they are higher than PH on O, and comparable to SB and SS. 

I'm sure the experience in Queens grill is very nice, I just don't see value for money. There are always exceptions of course.

Just now, Vineyard View said:

Cunard ships are all over 2k pax. I have heard they are a great line, but that many people is unattractive to me. It’s great that there are so many options to suit so many different tastes. 

They are a great line if you sail in a suite. Completely different experience, food and service.

Sailing in regular cabins, the service and food is very mediocre, and it feels much more crowded than small ships.

Just now, ak1004 said:

They are a great line if you sail in a suite. Completely different experience, food and service.

Sailing in regular cabins, the service and food is very mediocre, and it feels much more crowded than small ships.

Good to know. Thank you.  I have never been interested in them though. For a number of reasons aside from size of the ships. 

Just now, Vineyard View said:

Good to know. Thank you.  I have never been interested in them though. For a number of reasons aside from size of the ships. 

Me either 😉