Rained Out?

NJRonbo

We have an upcoming sailing that COULD potentially be rained out due to an emerging Atlantic storm.

Of course, nothing can be done about it.  One needs to go with the flow.

So, what is it like during sea days when it's raining?  I would imagine the outdoor pool area is empty.  Does this mean the Solarium gets completely packed?

Do indoor on-ship activities get particularly crowded due to the fact people are not hanging outside?

Just wondering what the "vibe" is like during rainy/stormy weather at sea

Cruise ships can often drive around the storms so I wouldn’t assume you will be completely rained out. But if it does happen, yes, everyone comes inside so it has more of the vibe of a cold weather cruise. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

We have an upcoming sailing that COULD potentially be rained out due to an emerging Atlantic storm.

So, what is it like during sea days when it's raining?  I would imagine the outdoor pool area is empty.  Does this mean the Solarium gets completely packed?

Do indoor on-ship activities get particularly crowded due to the fact people are not hanging outside?

Many guests see it as an option to chill out, breakfast late, have a siesta in the afternoon….I think this is especially true on a longer port intensive cruise. Many guests will spend a lot of time in their cabins. Looking out of your window and watching big waves is almost mesmerising. As long as it isn’t too cold and the wind is not driving on the windows we will enjoy sitting out on the balcony in all weather. 

We have enjoyed a few happy sessions in bar’s during stormy days with people vying to give the most dramatic version of “I remember when we were on the xxxx the waves were….”.

Most usual activities continue. The Solarium will be busier. We did visit one afternoon on a wet day, there were no empty beds but an empty pool. We simply plonked our wraps and sandals on a side ledge, enjoyed a good swim then dripped back to our room to shower and dry off.

Sushi on five or The Porch (on ships that have one) can be good options for lunch on any sea days but especially inclement ones. We have lunched in the Porch on a wet but not stormy day and it was nice to hear and see the rain. We were perfectly warm and dry inside. The buffet can seem busier on a wet day as not only are people not rushing to get back to their sun beds those who normally would be playing cards outside are now needing an inside space.

Just as a ‘by the way’ if bad weather is expected I automatically take sea sickness tablets, no point waiting until you feel ill…

Sincere best wishes that your itinerary doesn’t get altered too much.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Many guests see it as an option to chill out, breakfast late, have a siesta in the afternoon….I think this is especially true on a longer port intensive cruise. Many guests will spend a lot of time in their cabins. Looking out of your window and watching big waves is almost mesmerising. As long as it isn’t too cold and the wind is not driving on the windows we will enjoy sitting out on the balcony in all weather. 

We have enjoyed a few happy sessions in bar’s during stormy days with people vying to give the most dramatic version of “I remember when we were on the xxxx the waves were….”.

Most usual activities continue. The Solarium will be busier. We did visit one afternoon on a wet day, there were no empty beds but an empty pool. We simply plonked our wraps and sandals on a side ledge, enjoyed a good swim then dripped back to our room to shower and dry off.

Sushi on five or The Porch (on ships that have one) can be good options for lunch on any sea days but especially inclement ones. We have lunched in the Porch on a wet but not stormy day and it was nice to hear and see the rain. We were perfectly warm and dry inside. The buffet can seem busier on a wet day as not only are people not rushing to get back to their sun beds those who normally would be playing cards outside are now needing an inside space.

Just as a ‘by the way’ if bad weather is expected I automatically take sea sickness tablets, no point waiting until you feel ill…

Sincere best wishes that your itinerary doesn’t get altered too much.

Fantastic answer.  Exactly what I was looking for.

You gave a description of the "vibe" of the ship and what kind of crowding to expect in areas that normally would not have that many people had it been a sunny day.

Look forward to reading other experiences.

• Like 1

It really irritates me when I see people taking up tables in OVC or Al Bacio to play cards. There is a card room on deck 9 by the mid ship elevators on S class ships. And the tables around the World Class bar are not used during the day. Plenty of room there for card playing. And there 's the Sky lounge as well during the day. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

It will be uncomfortable with everyone inside.  Here's hoping you have a covered balcony

Agree with the above posters.  First that it may not be a "rain" out - your ports could possibly change if it is severe weather, they won't put you in harm's way.  On the Equinox there are a lot of indoor spaces such as the Sky lounge and the Solarium etc.  It's always a good day on a cruise ship

• Like 1

Maybe we are different, but we just roll with it and have fun. We have had a few cruises that were 'kind of nasty' like skirting a hurricane, but it all worked out. We look at it as part of traveling and good stories for later.

• Like 2

Love sitting on the balcony, if it's not raining sideways, or at least listening to the rain and sea with the balcony door open. Having a drink with my hubby and maybe reading. We do the same at home, but we get could thunderstorms here.

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

If the OP is on the Summit soon, they are out of Bayonne, NJ and headed to Bermuda.

This upcoming weekend.  There are 12 days of rain predicted for NJ.  Bermuda seems to be clearing up.  The future weather forecast there literally changes by the hour.  

22 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

Celebrity could completely change the itinerary to maybe down to Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya.

15 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

This upcoming weekend.  There are 12 days of rain predicted for NJ.  Bermuda seems to be clearing up.  The future weather forecast there literally changes by the hour.  

I'm in NYC - there is some rain predicted...but generally not more than 60%...definitely not a washout of constant rain for that long. And Bermuda is a long way from NJ.

2 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Celebrity could completely change the itinerary to maybe down to Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya.

I think that would be kind of tough from NJ in a 7-day period? Plus TS Brett is not forecast to go north to Bermuda.

3 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

That's interesting.

So, what you are saying is that we are on a cruise to Bermuda.  However, if the weather is bad, they'll side track the island and take us to another set of islands instead of staying out at sea?

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'm in NYC - there is some rain predicted...but generally not more than 60%...definitely not a washout of constant rain for that long. And Bermuda is a long way from NJ.

Certainly, Bermuda is not NJ.  I pointed that out because we would be sailing out of that area and the adjoining seaboard.  There's a weather system at play during that week.  Weather prediction in Bermuda for our stay has changed almost hourly. It was predicting rain all week yesterday.  Today it looks clearer.

weather.png
(NJ Area weather.  Source: Forecast Bar)

Edited by NJRonbo

3 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

That's interesting.

So, what you are saying is that we are on a cruise to Bermuda.  However, if the weather is bad, they'll side track the island and take us to another set of islands instead of staying out at sea?

It would have to be at minimum a Tropical Storm - not just "rain predicted". And there would have to be a way and time for them to get there. I don't know that they could convert to Mexican ports and/or Belize and back to NJ in 7 days. Best case would be the Bahamas.

But again, the TS, possibly becoming hurricane, track is in the Caribbean. NOT up to Bermuda.

• Like 1

Just now, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It would have to be at minimum a Tropical Storm - not just "rain predicted". And there would have to be a way and time for them to get there. I don't know that they could convert to Mexican ports and/or Belize and back to NJ in 7 days. Best case would be the Bahamas.

But again, the TS, possibly becoming hurricane, track is in the Caribbean. NOT up to Bermuda.

That's what I am seeing today.  TS does not look like a threat to Bermuda.  I do not expect our itinerary to change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJRonbo said:

That's what I am seeing today.  TS does not look like a threat to Bermuda.  I do not expect our itinerary to change.

Yes. Even the forecast you posted shows absolutely no indication of anything that would require rerouting. It's a pretty typical summer pattern - none of the days even show 100% rain.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

Certainly, Bermuda is not NJ.  I pointed that out because we would be sailing out of that area and the adjoining seaboard.  There's a weather system at play during that week.  Weather prediction in Bermuda for our stay has changed almost hourly. It was predicting rain all week yesterday.  Today it looks clearer.

weather.png
(NJ Area weather.  Source: Forecast Bar)

This is just chances of scattered and isolated storms in Bermuda which is different than the middle of the ocean during your sea days. Your Captain will likely try his best to navigate around any that are showing on radar. I doubt you will have a rain out. 

• Like 2