Norway Cashless?

I have not used cash in Norway in many years. However I recommend a credit card with chip and pin - most shops, restaurants and taxis will accept approval with signature but if you plan to use credit card with small business, kiosks or vending machines you might not have that option. 

Also ApplePay is widely accepted.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I have not used cash in Norway in many years. However I recommend a credit card with chip and pin - most shops, restaurants and taxis will accept approval with signature but if you plan to use credit card with small business, kiosks or vending machines you might not have that option. 

Also ApplePay is widely accepted.

Ty

Just remember that US credit cards don’t offer the same chip and pin technology.  If you have a pin for your credit card it is mostly likely to obtain a cash advance from an ATM. 

The places you may have issues are unmanned kiosks, and places like the ones  @hallasm mentions.  Examples include: train stations and the public pay toilets.  

Haven’t  tried Apple Pay but will next month. 

I think when folks say chip and PIN they are really meaning chip and tap cards  or Contactless cards

Most everyone has one these days

Debit cards are largely Chip and PIN most credit cards at contactless , chip and tap cards

both work widely in Europe.  Debit cards in ATMs and credit cards everywhere else.  This is the symbol

image.png.7a859a313f7f05dd6bd3c5e032ab080c.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I think when folks say chip and PIN they are really meaning chip and tap cards  or Contactless cards

Most everyone has one these days

Debit cards are largely Chip and PIN most credit cards at contactless , chip and tap cards

both work widely in Europe.  Debit cards in ATMs and credit cards everywhere else.  This is the symbol

image.png.7a859a313f7f05dd6bd3c5e032ab080c.png

No, PIN and chip was "a thing" 10 or so years ago in Europe. It never caught on in the US. It has been replaced by the contactless systems.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

Yes, ‘Chip and PIN’ cards are contactless - and most terminals are contactless.

I do not know if US credit cards are different but if I use my contactless card for an amount above $55 I’m asked to enter my PIN code - the same if I make three contactless transaction within a certain time.

I assume for transaction where a pin is required the terminal will be able to print a receipt for signature approval. 

Using Apple Pay doesn’t require pin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

Yes, ‘Chip and PIN’ cards are contactless - and most terminals are contactless.

I do not know if US credit cards are different but if I use my contactless card for an amount above $55 I’m asked to enter my PIN code - the same if I make three contactless transaction within a certain time.

I assume for transaction where a pin is required the terminal will be able to print a receipt for signature approval. 

Using Apple Pay doesn’t require pin.

The limit for contactless cards in Canada was CDN$100 pre-pandemic, now it is CDN$250. I almost forget my PIN because I never have to use it. (I'm not sure if I have ever made 3 transactions within a limited period of time; there might be some anti-fraud measure in that case.) I have my cards on my phone also, but I prefer not to use Apple Pay.

I usually use tap to pay, but sometimes I’m required to insert the card into the terminal. I have no idea what would happen if the tap reader requested “Insert Card” and you didn’t have a PIN to insert.

Also, there are still some chip readers that do not support contactless payments. They’re becoming less and less common, but they do still exist.

• 2 weeks later...

I used both Visa and Master Card  in Sweden  and Denmark . Just tap  the card as above poster says . Easy , even street vendors use it . A couple of times I just had to sign a slip. This was at an artist studio in Copenhagen. 

• Thanks 1

Just returned from Baltic and Norway/Iceland cruises.  In 13 countries 20 ports….everyone took credit card as most were cashless.  Even paid for potty entry with  credit card.    Had some Euros we used in restaurants as we decided….amazingly no need for dollars or money conversions.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

On our 14 day Norway cruise in July 2023, we were able to use credit cards at every store, restaurant, and activity we did at every port. Most places were tap and pay, though some required card to be inserted. We used Visa cards with no foreign transaction fees. We were never asked for a pin.  We did, however, exchange for some NOK via our bank (Bank of America in US) prior to our trip so we could have some cash to tip tour guides.  We did have a bit left over, and this we left for our cabin steward as extra tip. 

just back from cruise to Norway and Iceland

I got some cash for both places but used very little except for tips to excursion guides ... paid a couple of small purchases with cash (hard candy .... a soft drink)

it was tap and go with my VISA everyplace

I have a PIN for my card but tap 'n go seems to nullify the need . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1