Bahamas looks at a 80% port fee increase next month

firefly333

From a blogger, take it for what it's worth. He said it's been hard to pin down but christine duffy from carnival said she is hoping the bahamas considers delaying this hike and consider all the value cruiselines pump into the bahamas. 

To me a reason to lock in prices now rather than later. Nothing we can do whatever they negotiate. 

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

From a blogger, take it for what it's worth. He said it's been hard to pin down but christine duffy from carnival said she is hoping the bahamas considers delaying this hike and consider all the value cruiselines pump into the bahamas. 

To me a reason to lock in prices now rather than later. Nothing we can do whatever they negotiate. 

Hope for their sake they reconsider raising port fees.  If they do raise them, it'll provide cruise lines (and thus passengers) yet another reason to avoid the place (obviously other than Coco Cay).

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true, given the Bahamas can see how much Royal Caribbean at least, is focusing their business model on Coco Cay and Nassau. 

And they're adding a new getaway.  Paradise Island or something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The typical per person per port fee is like $20 - so that would go up to maybe $36.

So, it's about the increase of the cost of a drink.  The dilemma is, one needs that extra drink when visiting the place.  The overall cost of visiting the place (vs. having a sea day) thus costs me 2 extra drinks/pp. 😅 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

I don't have a problem with Bahama's raising their port tax per cruiser,  I just worry about how RCCL or any other line is going to cover the increase for this that have already booked out into 2025

So you're saying you don't have a problem, as long as someone else is paying for it, correct?

My interpretation (and expectation) would be that increases such as port fees would be passed along to the cruiser, regardless of whether the cruise is already paid in full or not.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/price-change-information

Edited by bucfan2

23 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

So you're saying you don't have a problem, as long as someone else is paying for it, correct?

My interpretation (and expectation) would be that increases such as port fees would be passed along to the cruiser, regardless of whether the cruise is already paid in full or not.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/price-change-information

Existing bookings will stay the same, new bookings may have a higher port fees and taxes.

However it's not uncommon for the port fees and taxes, which are estimated to begin with, to change as the cruise sells out.  Existing bookings can't take advantage of lower port fees and taxes when they drop as they approach capacity.  So there is some padding and buffer in early bookings.   

56 minutes ago, twangster said:

Existing bookings will stay the same, new bookings may have a higher port fees and taxes.

However it's not uncommon for the port fees and taxes, which are estimated to begin with, to change as the cruise sells out.  Existing bookings can't take advantage of lower port fees and taxes when they drop as they approach capacity.  So there is some padding and buffer in early bookings.   

If you are correct, thanks for the info.  My search discovered the info that I posted.  Guess there’s a chance one of us is correct. 

The Bahamas will postpone cruise head tax hikes until January, instead of this July, according to local reports.

Deputy Prime Minister/Tourism Minister Chester Cooper on Thursday told Bahamas media including Eyewitness News of the delayed implementation.

Follows cruise industry talks

The six-month reprieve follows Cooper's meeting with the cruise industry in Miami and conversations between the government and the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association.

The $18 head tax is going up to $23 for each cruiser leaving The Bahamas via Nassau and Freeport and to $25 for those who leave by sea from a private island without visiting another port in the country.

Government fees are passed along to cruisers

Government taxes and fees are typically passed along to passengers separately from the cruise fare. So lines would have to absorb the added costs for cruises already sold. 

And lines need time to adjust the amounts of government taxes and fees in their customer communications.

'This kind of increase is significant and The Bahamas should have done a better job communicating its plans,' a source told Seatrade Cruise News. 

Plus: New environmental and tourism development levies

In addition, The Bahamas plans a new $2 per person tourism enhancement levy applying to passengers arriving in or leaving The Bahamas, by ship or air, starting in January.

Also new is a $5 tourism environmental levy for arriving or departing cruisers.

Caution on competitiveness/marketability

'The Bahamas needs to be careful in how it increases costs,' the industry source said. 'They have to look at this from a competitive standpoint. Adding all these fees on top of the ticket price compared to other vacation options starts to add up and impacts the marketability.'

Neither Cooper's office, the FCCA nor major cruise operators responded to earlier questions about a delay in the hikes. 

Bahamas cruise head tax hikes delayed until January (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Like 1