Can I Remove the Free Open Bar from My Reservation?

patrickmoran

I've booked our 1st NCL cruise: 16 days in November 2024 through the Suez Canal. The gratuities for the "Free Open Bar" are pretty high, probably more than I would pay if I paid for drinks as I go. I like the other perks that are included in the booking and the stripped down fare is "Sold Out" for our cruise. So would NCL remove the free drinks and delete the gratuities from the invoice if requested?

Also, we have the BOGO air special. Would I be able to remove it prior to final payment, and have a lower final payment, or would I have to cancel and rebook at whatever the cruise fare is at that time? 

Thanks

You can also remove Open Bar option when looking at possible booking online. Just click on small box next to Open Bar under Onboard offers. 
same for speciality dining option to remove gratuities charged if you want to decline offer.

• Like 2

Yes, I've done this twice; we don't drink alcohol, so it's not worth it for us even to pay just gratuities.  I wish they would include a different package for us though like just soda (Carnival has a great one that is soda and mocktails, so I always buy that even though it really is a splurge for me)

3 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

Yes, I've done this twice; we don't drink alcohol, so it's not worth it for us even to pay just gratuities.  I wish they would include a different package for us though like just soda (Carnival has a great one that is soda and mocktails, so I always buy that even though it really is a splurge for me)

I would think that you should be able to get the soda package "for free" with your booking upon request.... at least it wouldn't hurt to inquire next time you are looking at booking.

I have two cabins booked for 2025 where we have an adult and a minor in each and the adults were given the drink package while my sons were given the soda package... this was booked over the phone with an NCL PVP.

1 hour ago, JillK said:

I would think that you should be able to get the soda package "for free" with your booking upon request.... at least it wouldn't hurt to inquire next time you are looking at booking.

I have two cabins booked for 2025 where we have an adult and a minor in each and the adults were given the drink package while my sons were given the soda package... this was booked over the phone with an NCL PVP.

Remember the Drink Package is NOT FREE! Believe me your paying for it!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IsanTom said:

Remember the Drink Package is NOT FREE! Believe me your paying for it!

Yes I know, which is why for free is in quotes above. I think we all recognize that it is not truly free in the sense that we get it without paying anything for it.

I am speaking here about the OP swapping out the alcoholic package for the soda package in the promotion which although you pay for the gratuities, it is still cheaper than buying soda a la carte or buying a package.

We are paying $19.07 CDN (so approximately $15 USD) for the gratuities on the included soda package for a 9 night cruise. Sodas with tax are close to $3 USD each in my experience, so one a day over 9 days would be $27 USD. To buy the package at $9.95 USD a day plus 20% gratuity would run us $107.82 USD for our cruise. 

So while it isn’t at no cost (truly free), it is still a better option than purchasing the package or buying a la carte provided you intend on getting one soda a day. 

Free at Sea Drink Package also includes sodas.  So, add up the number of sodas you drink, and it still may be worthwhile to just pay the tips on the Free at Sea Drink package.

Personally, I don’t drink sodas….hardly at all.  I do love me some bourbon, though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JillK said:

NCL only substitutes the soda package for minors who are guest #2 when it comes to the promo.

If the child was guest #3, the child wouldn't get anything. An adult wouldn't get the soda package from the promo unless there was an extenuating circumstance.

One of the reasons that it is "both or nothing" is that people will try to share when only one has the package.

The ironic thing is that even when de-selecting the PBP promo, part of the fare is still paying for it. At that point, you might as well pay the $21.80 per day instead of paying for drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) a la carte.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JillK said:

If only...I've put that in my post-cruise survey comments many times.  Not everyone drinks.  Some by choice, some for medical reasons.  It would be nice to have it as an option.  I think I've seen some people able to get it substituted with a dr. note.  I just get my soda fix by using my OBC to pay on an individual basis (probably good to cut back anyway) - or get my preferred Pepsi while in port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, patrickmoran said:

The gratuities for the "Free Open Bar" are pretty high, probably more than I would pay if I paid for drinks as I go.

Before you remove the drink package from your reservation, Google NCL's current drink menus for prices.  On my 2021 cruise, a lot of drinks are in the $12-$15 range.  The drink package is only $21/person/day.  2 to 3 glasses of wine at dinner and you are at the break even point already.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JillK said:

You'd think they would do that since it would save them money instead.  I've asked.  I think you guys get that because of the "minor" part.  I'll ask again.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

You'd think they would do that since it would save them money instead.  I've asked.  I think you guys get that because of the "minor" part.  I'll ask again.  Thanks.

Yes I believe you're right... as others have said likely due to the fact that they are second pax and are minors. No harm in inquiring again but sounds like you will get the same answer. 

I am surprised that they wouldn't give it to adults pax 1 & 2 (who both take it) in lieu of the beverage package. General thinking is that the soda costs them pennies so would be cheaper for them to keep you happy and give you the soda package (which you still pay the grats on of course) rather than the beverage package. That makes no sense to me. Presumably they want you to spend more either through buying them individually or spending the money on the package. 

Regardless - I hope that you enjoy your cruise! 

22 hours ago, JillK said:

Yes I know, which is why for free is in quotes above. I think we all recognize that it is not truly free in the sense that we get it without paying anything for it.

I am speaking here about the OP swapping out the alcoholic package for the soda package in the promotion which although you pay for the gratuities, it is still cheaper than buying soda a la carte or buying a package.

We are paying $19.07 CDN (so approximately $15 USD) for the gratuities on the included soda package for a 9 night cruise. Sodas with tax are close to $3 USD each in my experience, so one a day over 9 days would be $27 USD. To buy the package at $9.95 USD a day plus 20% gratuity would run us $107.82 USD for our cruise. 

So while it isn’t at no cost (truly free), it is still a better option than purchasing the package or buying a la carte provided you intend on getting one soda a day. 

I agree! Have a great cruise!

22 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Free at Sea Drink Package also includes sodas.  So, add up the number of sodas you drink, and it still may be worthwhile to just pay the tips on the Free at Sea Drink package.

Personally, I don’t drink sodas….hardly at all.  I do love me some bourbon, though.

I agree totally! Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 8:50 PM, patrickmoran said:

I've booked our 1st NCL cruise: 16 days in November 2024 through the Suez Canal. The gratuities for the "Free Open Bar" are pretty high, probably more than I would pay if I paid for drinks as I go. I like the other perks that are included in the booking and the stripped down fare is "Sold Out" for our cruise. So would NCL remove the free drinks and delete the gratuities from the invoice if requested?

Also, we have the BOGO air special. Would I be able to remove it prior to final payment, and have a lower final payment, or would I have to cancel and rebook at whatever the cruise fare is at that time? 

Thanks

Call NCL and get those questions answered and resolved.  This type of situation is best not handled online.  Why cancel the airfare?  We did that cruise in Feb ( Dubai-Athens), and the BOGO saved us over $2,000 ( flew Non-Stop, LAX-Dubai).  Athens back to London ( layover), London-LAX ( Non-Stop).

4 hours ago, JillK said:

Yes I believe you're right... as others have said likely due to the fact that they are second pax and are minors. No harm in inquiring again but sounds like you will get the same answer. 

I am surprised that they wouldn't give it to adults pax 1 & 2 (who both take it) in lieu of the beverage package. General thinking is that the soda costs them pennies so would be cheaper for them to keep you happy and give you the soda package (which you still pay the grats on of course) rather than the beverage package. That makes no sense to me. Presumably they want you to spend more either through buying them individually or spending the money on the package. 

Regardless - I hope that you enjoy your cruise! 

Anyone who doesn’t take the $20 a day alcohol package is likely not a drinker, so NCL would rather get the $ with the soda package than just the gratuity.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Anyone who doesn’t take the $20 a day alcohol package is likely not a drinker, so NCL would rather get the $ with the soda package than just the gratuity.

Of course, although by that logic they would rather get more than just the gratuity from heavy drinkers also, yet they don't put limits like some other cruiselines seem to do.

But I don't buy the soda package because it's not cost effective - I don't drink that much soda to begin with and I can usually get my daily fill in port, plus I prefer Pepsi.  So instead of getting the gratuity on the soda package - which I would pay if part of FAS - they currently get little, if anything from me. And what they do get is OBC.

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean has a really nice rink package for non-drinkers, or low level drinkers. It includes soda, specialty coffees, mocktails, and shakes. I really liked it, and (for us) it was $17.50/day on sale. Probably still didn't drink that much, but I really liked the variety (both coffee and soda!) and the couple times I wanted an adult beverage I just bought it.

Not really a way to do that with NCL, but do remember the alcohol package does include mock tails and soda. (But not lattes, alas.) So it may still be a good "free" deal for non-drinkers, but I can also see cancelling it and just buying as needed. 

Have fun!

We actually removed it onboard the Bliss on our second day. Decided I wouldn’t be drinking and hubs only drinks soda so we just turned around and purchased a soda package and had obc we used for excursions. 

Edited by Coffeeluvr05