Oceania PH Butlers. What do they do?

Rainbow3fe

Hi,

On our 10th Oceania cruise we booked a PH on Vista. We would like to know what the Butler does to help. I don't want anyone unpacking my suitcases because then I won't know where to find everything.

Thanks 🌻🌊😎

34 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

What????

Attempt at being funny, in anticipation of the new marketing campaign beginning 7/1.

I seem to recall there was considerable discussion about butlers on this recent thread: 

• Thanks 1

Spend more than 29 hours on O and you will find the Butlers to be GREAT. We have never had the same Butler twice in our 16 years of sailing on O and found only one dud.  We greet them with a smile and do our best to befriend them and welcome them to our Oceania family and we are treated like their family as well. We even traded wedding planning stories of his upcoming marriage in India comparing it to our grandson’s wedding the following month. Absolutely the most wonderful guys. 
Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sujormik said:

In my limited experience (29 hours on O) the butlers don’t do much.

Did you ask them for something & they did not  do it ??

They are not mind readers

if you want something  ask them

Maybe  tell them what you want  during the day/week  & see how they do

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Spend more than 29 hours on O and you will find the Butlers to be GREAT. We have never had the same Butler twice in our 16 years of sailing on O and found only one dud.  We greet them with a smile and do our best to befriend them and welcome them to our Oceania family and we are treated like their family as well. We even traded wedding planning stories of his upcoming marriage in India comparing it to our grandson’s wedding the following month. Absolutely the most wonderful guys. 
Just Enjoy,

Mauibabes

I appreciate your kind words. Saw many complaints but have to assume the Butlers work hard and try to please just like the cabin attendants. 🌊🌻😎💐

You can ask them  when you want dinner served  in your cabin

they will deliver canapes late afternoon if you want them

they can bring breakfast  for you

shine your shoes

make extra specialty reservations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Did you ask them for something & they did not  do it ??

They are not mind readers

if you want something  ask them

Maybe  tell them what you want  during the day/week  & see how they do

Yup.  Asked about getting a blanket and was told to contact housekeeping. 

I feel weird about asking to have clothes pressed but will try that today.

Also didn’t receive in room mid trip survey card, maybe that wasn’t the butler. But if in fact they’re assuring everything is done, this shouldn’t be a mind reader  type task.

We haven't been in a PH suite - but we have been in the Owners, Oceania and Vista suites and love the butlers.  On Oceania we have never had a bad or even poor one (Did once on Regent though!).  One of our butlers - Churchill - was a total gem.  He literally forced us off the ship once at Grand Cayman.  We weren't planning to go ashore and he sent us anyway - I am glad he did and enjoyed the window shopping very much...but not being particularly smart I left my wallet in the safe onboard and discovered my Oceania key card wasn't much help ashore!  Churchill thought that was hysterical (so did I!) and still teased me about it 2 years later.   

We don't ask butlers to unpack or pack.  BUT we do ask for special canapés with our evening drinks, ask them to make additional dining reservations for us (and to "dispose" of reservations we have that we don't want to use...) They get our laundry back same day (at no extra charge).  Serve us dinner in the suite, course by course.  And remove things like coca cola and beer from the fridge and add mineral water and schweppes.  All with a smile.  Lovely men and it is fun learning about their families too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sujormik said:

Yup.  Asked about getting a blanket and was told to contact housekeeping. 

I feel weird about asking to have clothes pressed but will try that today.

Also didn’t receive in room mid trip survey card, maybe that wasn’t the butler. But if in fact they’re assuring everything is done, this shouldn’t be a mind reader  type task.

We didn’t get the survey card either.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

No survey?  Go to Reception and ask for one.  You have things you need to include on yours.  Also, ask at Reception to speak with the Head Butler about your Butler issue.  If you can't get the Head Butler, speak to the GM.

Remember, you are being charged a gratuity for the Butler on a daily basis, you need not offer an additional one at the end of the cruise if you feel you have not received service above the minimum.

Even though it may feel more effort than you want to expend at the end of the cruise, be sure to complete the on-line survey.  Be honest, and specific, in the Butler portion of the survey.  This one goes directly to Home Office.

• Like 5

We did not ask our butler to unpack our bags.

He checked with us about twice a day to see if there was anything we wanted.

He made sure we had what we requested in our fridge. He made us extra specialty restaurant reservations, brought us canapes, offered to bring us meals from the restaurants, brought us an Ipad and set up the internet connection, etc. He also took the wine we brought on board to the restaurant we would be visiting that evening. 

They will do what you request within reason. 

Edited by schmerl
  • Like 1

Anything we asked of our butler, he didn/couldn't do.  Left something in the Asian restaurant night before....he said not found...I went to lost & found...there it  was.  Asked if he could get any extra specialty reservations....18 day cruise....nope nothing available....I went to desk and got.

Guess we are just not butler people.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, schmerl said:

We did not ask our butler to unpack our bags.

He checked with us about twice a day to see if there was anything we wanted.

He made sure we had what we requested in our fridge. He made us extra specialty restaurant reservations, brought us canapes, offered to bring us meals from the restaurants, brought us an Ipad and set up the internet connection, etc. He also took the wine we brought on board to the restaurant we would be visiting that evening. 

They will do what you request within reason. 

@schmerl Thank you for your post.  My comment is not directed at you in anyway.

This specific issue is not only a topic on "O".  Every single brand has this same topic.  For me, I get in trouble with my family all the time for doing something as simple as sending back a $65 steak that is not cooked right.  I pay for a perfect steak at a expensive steakhouse.  Now if I was at Golden Corral (I like golden corral) I just eat my $8.00 steak the way it comes.  

Yet, how in our world does someone have butlers like you did, and I have had; yet an others have the butler from down under.  It is frustrating and so easy to point fingers at why this discrepancy can and does happen.  I don't know "O" nor the butlers on "O".  But I do know and love cruising.  If you have something that disappoints, deal with it.  Send that steak back.  The person will learn, they are paid to serve and when they don't, you will express your dissatisfaction.  It will make them better.  Also, I personally have found, creating a relationship with a butlers upfront of humor, kindness and appreciation always gets me the extra mile.  It is a two way street as it is in any relationship. They serve however they are not our servant. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Anything we asked of our butler, he didn/couldn't do.  Left something in the Asian restaurant night before....he said not found...I went to lost & found...there it  was.  Asked if he could get any extra specialty reservations....18 day cruise....nope nothing available....I went to desk and got.

Thanks for the info. I am really sorry to hear that. I guess some butlers click and others do not.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

WOW! That is so different, in fact opposite of our experience. We went to the desk to try for extra specialty restaurant reservations and could not get them, but our butler got them for us with no problem. I hope you let Oceania know about your experience. 

As I said before, our butler checked in with us about twice a day, but if we wanted anything in between visits, we just called him and he responded with our requests. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

My view is you had a substandard butler. Your experience has not been our experience. We've had good to excellent (Churchill) butlers. 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

Nope!

It's NOT "you".

That Butler is not a "butler person"!

IF people would complain, hopefully, that "butler" would be in a job better suiting their strengths...

GC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Maybe your Butler was not Butler  material

This should have been reported to the GM  early in the cruise  so it may have been fixed for you

• Like 1

So what does a butler do -- everything your housekeeper does not.  Have a PH and higher and you will get spoiled.

Simple things...

Ice

Drinks in your refrigerator

Pressing and shoe shines

Normal things

Arrange for additional specialty bookings.  A good one will ask you if you want one today at 7pm since there are vacancies.

Room service -- especially for specialty dining.  They can also do course by course servings

Canapes at 4pm (other lines Caviar at 4pm 🙂 )  You fill out the menu in the AM.

If you are in a top suite, will take care of your bar.  They will recommend some better wines on the suite wine list.  Don't like the free bubbly, they will exchange it for a bottle of wine.

Special event -- arranged for a birthday cake served in Jacques.

Special things

Our last cruise my wife forgot her walking cane.  Butler found one which we used until we purchased an adjustable one at one of the ports

Liaise with other departments to get things done, like Engineering for cooling issues or broken cabinets

Great person to listen about ships gossip. Why did we skip this port, the butler will know.

Want another veranda lounge chair, the butler can do it.

When not on duty there is always a reserve butler (2pm until 4pm and after 11pm)

On Oceania, Crystal, Silversea, we have had some great ones and some real dogs.

Last Oceania was a great one and of course Mr. Churchill is a legend.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Our butlers always get us extra rez in the specialties, and they move the times if we discover a show we want to catch and our dinner rez is too late. This is all with a regular PH, not one of the named suites.  I cracked part of my hose on a CPAP machine and he got it patched up by one of the ship electricians.  We got a small fan.  We had a course by course room service meal from a couple specialities (I think we mixed Polo and Toscano), complete with full bottles of wine on our BTG plan so we could pour our own.  We got beers in our fridge; again we were both on the full drink plan. 

• Like 1