Zeebrugge to Bruges diy

1 hour ago, Harters said:

I'm not sure if there's anything left to see at the port (except a memorial) but, at least for those arriving by cruise ship, you'll know you are standing where history was made. 

The old mole is well inside the modern harbour and there is only a short section left, including the lighthouse at the end. It has been surrounded by landfill for the port, where the container terminal is. This thread in the Great War Forum  illustrates where the action took place. 

Thanks for posting that, CE. I did have it in mind there was something left. Interesting link to the Great War Forum. Feels like old times. I know the OP on that thread - egbert. He's a retired German air force officer. Many years back, we hoped to meet in the area of the Battle of the Somme where we both had ancestors who fought but, we missed each other in the country lanes. And the guy who posted with the username of "Siege Gunner" is the guy I mentioned upthread as the expert on the , erm, siege guns unit.  

• Like 1

We just got back from doing this as well. Thanks to all the suggestions here I had a number of options in mind though in the end there was a shuttle from the ship to Blankenberge. They had announced that there would be a shuttle into "town" the night before but were not clear as to which town and from where. We initially did mistake getting right off the ship and getting on the shuttle to the port terminal thinking that might be where we would catch the shuttle into town, but while on that first bus I noticed a row of buses lined up with a sign that said "shuttle to Blankenberge" which passengers did not seem to head towards. When I got to the port terminal, I asked one of the staff who said we could take the coastal tram, but when I specifically asked about the buses that were there he asked the driver who said there were other shuttles to Blankenberge. We took the shuttle back to the ship and got on one of the other shuttles.

We were lucky because we just made it onto the train to Bruges- really cut it close. I bought train tickets while enroute on the bus. The shuttle stopped across the street from the train station and as all trains from Blankeberge stop in Bruges, we just needed to run for the only train there. In the end we were able to spend over 4 hours in Bruges which was a lovely way to end our cruise because it was our last port prior to disembarking the next day. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 4:24 AM, John Bull said:

Be aware that for most of its route between Zeebrugge and Ostend the tram route is behind high sand dunes so no view of the coast. There's a good stretch along the coast after Ostend  - on the dunes at Raversijde you'll see some of the fortifications built for WW1 and also used in WW2 as part of the Atlantic Wall.

Then mainly town streets between Nieuwpoort and the end of the line at the seaside resort of De Panne

1588 was a little further, off the French coast between Dunkirk & Calais

https://www.raversyde.be/nl/atlantikwall-raversyde/atlantikwall

To visit, get off the tram here https://goo.gl/maps/ZGY3MrgjLQaocjQt5 (it's the second Raversjide stop called Raversjide Provinciedomein, check with the driver) and take the wooden steps over the dunes to a lane at the back which leads to the entrance

JB 🙂 

Thanks for the helpful info!  And, yes the 1588 Armada action was by Calais, but Spain’s leader Parma had assembled an army of over 40,000 near Ostend.  So grateful for the WW1/WW2 history in the area, too!  Thank you!  

On 9/2/2023 at 1:02 PM, Twilightstar18 said:

We just got back from doing this as well. Thanks to all the suggestions here I had a number of options in mind though in the end there was a shuttle from the ship to Blankenberge.

2 hours ago, bunny76 said:

Are the shuttles from the cruise port to Blankenberge run by the individual cruise ships or Zeebrugge  authorities?

We're looking to go from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge(and back) this Nov,(Sat 18th). It seems no direct trains or trams in November and takes almost 2 hours to go via Bruges. It's quicker to walk (90mins) but not sure if it's a feasible walking route ?

It seems you can't prebook a taxi? and I could only see 3 taxi companies so it would be tough trying to get one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bunny76 said:

Are the shuttles from the cruise port to Blankenberge run by the individual cruise ships or Zeebrugge  authorities?

We're looking to go from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge(and back) this Nov,(Sat 18th). It seems no direct trains or trams in November and takes almost 2 hours to go via Bruges. It's quicker to walk (90mins) but not sure if it's a feasible walking route ?

It seems you can't prebook a taxi? and I could only see 3 taxi companies so it would be tough trying to get one.

Following! 

I believe shuttle buses to Blankenberge are organised by the cruise lines. There are no direct trains between Zeebrugge and Blankenberge, they are on completely separate lines. The coastal tram should be running though, unless there’s engineering work or something.

I contacted Blankenberge Tourist Office  regarding transport from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge ( without going via Bruges)and had the reply shown, from them (in italics).

The trams are indeed running from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge in November 🙂 .

When I had previously checked the  De Lijn operator of The Kusttram trams and put my November date in , it showed there were no trams available -  It seems this was because they only publish their timetable a month in advance.

The trams run all year round for this route.

Looking forward to our cruise and the day in Blankenberge :).

I just contacted “De Lijn”, the operator of the “Kusttram”.  They guaranteed that, also in November, the tram will operate as usual which means that there is a tram between Zeebrugge and Blankenberge at least every 20 minutes.  It takes about 15 minutes to get from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge.  In case the tram cannot operate due to unforeseen cirmcumstances, a bus service is always provided.

I hereby send you the link to the “route planner”: https://www.delijn.be/en/routeplanner/  As from about 1 month in advance, you can check the time tables.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bunny76 said:

I contacted Blankenberge Tourist Office  regarding transport from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge ( without going via Bruges)and had the reply shown, from them (in italics).

The trams are indeed running from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge in November 🙂 .

When I had previously checked the  De Lijn operator of The Kusttram trams and put my November date in , it showed there were no trams available -  It seems this was because they only publish their timetable a month in advance.

The trams run all year round for this route.

Looking forward to our cruise and the day in Blankenberge :).

I just contacted “De Lijn”, the operator of the “Kusttram”.  They guaranteed that, also in November, the tram will operate as usual which means that there is a tram between Zeebrugge and Blankenberge at least every 20 minutes.  It takes about 15 minutes to get from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge.  In case the tram cannot operate due to unforeseen cirmcumstances, a bus service is always provided.

I hereby send you the link to the “route planner”: https://www.delijn.be/en/routeplanner/  As from about 1 month in advance, you can check the time tables.

You can plan for this, but the cruise line might announce a shuttle directly to Blankenberge while you are on the cruise. For us, we were notified of this the night before the port and it was vague as to which town it would drop us off in. I'm guessing that if there is a shuttle to "town" it will be Blankenberge. Pay attention to any information provided before docking at this port and also when you get off the ship, there might be buses  with signs to Blankenberge. This would be right off the ship and not at the terminal entrance if it were to be organized by the ship. 

42 minutes ago, Twilightstar18 said:

You can plan for this, but the cruise line might announce a shuttle directly to Blankenberge while you are on the cruise. For us, we were notified of this the night before the port and it was vague as to which town it would drop us off in. I'm guessing that if there is a shuttle to "town" it will be Blankenberge. Pay attention to any information provided before docking at this port and also when you get off the ship, there might be buses  with signs to Blankenberge. This would be right off the ship and not at the terminal entrance if it were to be organized by the ship. 

Cruise lines rarely publish information about port shuttle buses in advance. They’d rather you remain blissfully unaware that there are cheap, simple alternatives to their horrendously overpriced shore excursions and seem to go out of their way to conceal their existence until the very last minute.

But in ports where the nearest town isn’t easily walkable there will always be alternative, cheaper options. Unfortunately the details will often be buried away in small print in the ship’s daily information sheet, and only provided the night before you arrive making planning a challenge.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what we did on our Zeebrugge to Bruges port day (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

Took cruise shuttle (free/provided by cruise) to Blankenberge, which stopped across the street from the train station.  Bought tickets from machine to Bruges, there will be someone on the train checking your tickets.

Once in Bruges, a 20 minute walk to Markt Square.

Bought tickets to climb Belfort Tower (recommend).  Try to get there at opening as it is very narrow to climb the tower.

Did a free walking tour with Legends (about 2 hours).  The group was too big and we had problems understanding the guide.  Would probably do a canal tour instead next time..

Walked to Burg Square and entered the Basilica of the Holy Blood and was able to see the relic. (recommend, check times of when it is displayed).

Belgian waffle at Chez Albert (recommend).

Souvenir shopping at Dumon Chocolatier and The Chocolate Line.

Belgian beer stop @ Cambrinus.  Looked like they had a good food menu as well.

Train back to Blankenberge, then shuttle back to ship.

This was very easy to do on your own, no excursion needed, and we used google maps to get walking directions from place to place.   One of our favorite cities on our trip and would love to go back again.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Sailing on MSC Euribia this month and looking to get the train at Zeebrugge-Dorp, directly to Bruges. We will be there on a Wednesday, so from what I understand, the service will be running once per hour.

Does anyone have any personal experience taking this exact train and if so how did the outbound and return journey go, plus what was the cost?

Thanks 🙂

https://www.belgiantrain.be/en This is the official English language version of the Belgian train companies. It’s aimed at tourists with all the info you need.

Currently it’s €7 for a return ticket, buy online (show on your phone) or at a ticket machine. It’s an extra €9 if you buy on the train so definitely get beforehand! It’s a local train and only 15mins so don’t bother with first class

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2023 at 1:45 AM, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

There seems to be some confusion here about the various shuttle busses at the port of Zeebrugge. The port of Zeebrugge where the cruise ships dock is a working port where large container ships etc also dock. It’s not a dedicated cruise port. For safety reasons it’s not allowed for cruise ship passengers to make their own way from the ship’s berth to the cruise terminal building. With containers stacked high, trucks etc etc, it’s too dangerous to walk around the port.
Therefore the port of Zeebrugge offers free shuttle busses from the location where the ship is docked to the cruise terminal building. This is the same principle as when your flight arrives at a remote stand without an airbridge. In many airports, you aren’t allowed to walk from this remote stand to the terminal building, but you’re bussed there.

So in Zeebrugge you’re bussed to the cruise terminal building. Once there, there are several options to get to Brugge; take a paid shuttle bus or make your way to the train station of Blankenberge and train to Brugge. 

This is very helpful but I'm wondering if the shuttle to the cruise terminal becomes a bottle neck.  How long will we be waiting for a shuttle to get to our taxi to take us into town?

And there's no way to avoid this shuttle to the terminal? We can't have our taxi pick us up directly at the ship?

Edited by BuckeyeMark

5 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

This is very helpful but I'm wondering if the shuttle to the cruise terminal becomes a bottle neck.  How long will we be waiting for a shuttle to get to our taxi to take us into town?

And there's no way to avoid this shuttle to the terminal? We can't have our taxi pick us up directly at the ship?

Same process used today as when I was there 5 years ago, there is no bottleneck. Buses are used, not shuttle vans. The only cruisers I witnessed picked up by the ship were those who had excursions arranged through the cruise line. Those without, are transported to the terminal just as they are back to the ship later in the day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 11:45 PM, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

There seems to be some confusion here about the various shuttle busses at the port of Zeebrugge..................

So in Zeebrugge you’re bussed to the cruise terminal building. Once there, there are several options to get to Brugge; take a paid shuttle bus or make your way to the train station of Blankenberge and train to Brugge. 

How much time does it take to be bussed from ship to cruise terminal? And then via shuttle bus from terminal to Brugge? Thank you.

9 hours ago, travelbuds said:

How much time does it take to be bussed from ship to cruise terminal? And then via shuttle bus from terminal to Brugge? Thank you.

Ship to terminal is a short hop, just a minute or so.

The independently-operated shuttlebus to Bruges (Brugge/Bruges different names in Flemish & French for the same place) takes about 25 minutes to the drop-off point at Bargeplein, an easy & level 15-20 minute walk to the cobbled centre of Bruges.

Same travel time & same drop-off point for ship's equivalent, usually called "Bruges on your own" or similar and listed as a "tour".

Difference is that the independent one is a shuttle service, ship's is an out and back on specifically-timed buses.

Ships also offer a (usually payable) shuttle for the 3 miles from the ship  to the train station at Blankenberge. Train to Bruges costs only a few euros but it's only an hourly service.

Alternatively  it's a ten-minute walk from Blankenberge station to beach & town, pleasant enough but perhaps a waste of a day.

JB 🙂

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ship to terminal is a short hop, just a minute or so.

The independently-operated shuttlebus to Bruges (Brugge/Bruges different names in Flemish & French for the same place) takes about 25 minutes to the drop-off point at Bargeplein, an easy & level 15-20 minute walk to the cobbled centre of Bruges.

Same travel time & same drop-off point for ship's equivalent, usually called "Bruges on your own" or similar and listed as a "tour".

Difference is that the independent one is a shuttle service, ship's is an out and back on specifically-timed buses.

Ships also offer a (usually payable) shuttle for the 3 miles from the ship  to the train station at Blankenberge. Train to Bruges costs only a few euros but it's only an hourly service.

Alternatively  it's a ten-minute walk from Blankenberge station to beach & town, pleasant enough but perhaps a waste of a day.

JB 🙂

Thank you for all of your comments. You are a big help! The independently operated shuttlebus that I found starts at 8:30AM. Our ship docks by 7AM. Seems like 1.5 hours of wasted time, especially since we have limited time in port (departs @ 3PM). I will check with Celebrity to see if it will offer shuttle bus as cruise date approaches. Currently it offers 2 excursions, but both are over $120 per person. Will look into the train from Blankenberge also. Thanks again.

10 hours ago, travelbuds said:

Thank you for all of your comments. You are a big help! The independently operated shuttlebus that I found starts at 8:30AM. Our ship docks by 7AM. Seems like 1.5 hours of wasted time, especially since we have limited time in port (departs @ 3PM). I will check with Celebrity to see if it will offer shuttle bus as cruise date approaches. Currently it offers 2 excursions, but both are over $120 per person. Will look into the train from Blankenberge also. Thanks again.

3pm is pretty mean 🙁

Yes, look for the ship offering "Bruges on your own",

Bound to be more expensive than the independent shuttle, but wouldn't be (shouldn't be 🤔) as much as  $120, and more of a guarantee for timing of both out & back journeys. 

Problem with the train is that it's hourly - and preceded by a shuttlebus to the station, so pot-luck whether you have up to an hour's wait at B'berge station.

JB 🙂

10 hours ago, John Bull said:

3pm is pretty mean 🙁

Yes, look for the ship offering "Bruges on your own",

Bound to be more expensive than the independent shuttle, but wouldn't be (shouldn't be 🤔) as much as  $120, and more of a guarantee for timing of both out & back journeys. 

Problem with the train is that it's hourly - and preceded by a shuttlebus to the station, so pot-luck whether you have up to an hour's wait at B'berge station.

JB 🙂

I am waiting for a Celebrity reply. No independent or "on your own" excursion offered on its website. Only 7 excursions listed for this port, and none less than $113. May end up doing the 8:30AM independent coach into Bruges and hope for time at least to go up the tower, do a canal tour, and sample some waffles and chocolates before heading back to the ship. Hope there won't be a long wait at the tower on a Sunday morning.