Looking at rainy, chilly weather for our Alaskan ports, what clothes to take?

Sigyn

Our Celebrity cruise leaves Vancouver on July 7, so I'm just starting to see the weather forecast for that day, but everything leading up to it is rainy and chilly. A definite weather pattern is taking shape. I'm fine with that, it's Alaska after all and I understand anything is possible. But what clothes should I take to make sure I'm prepared? A waterproof rain jacket, a long sleeve shirt underneath? Is that enough? Or do I need another layer? I saw some people mentioning gloves and scarfs for the glaciers. Is that needed for July?

We live where it's usually in the 80's in the summer, down to the 30's and even 20's in winter, but rain and high 50's, low 60's is definitely chilly to us for this time of year. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here's what I'm seeing on weather.com for upcoming weather for Juneau and Skagway, for instance: 

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 9.26.36 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 9.27.11 AM.png

2 minutes ago, quack2 said:

ignore the forecast.  Bring layers for warmth and something water repellent. 

My husband and I have great lightweight waterproof rain jackets we bought on the fly for a music festival a few years ago. At the time we hated spending $100 each on them at the sporting goods store. But they've come in handy ever since!

8 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

My husband and I have great lightweight waterproof rain jackets we bought on the fly for a music festival a few years ago. At the time we hated spending $100 each on them at the sporting goods store. But they've come in handy ever since!

What brand please?

It could be rainy, or it might not be.  If you are going to be doing  outdoor things - hiking, whale watching excursions, kayaking - you want to have quick drying pants like the travel pants sold at Costco.  They are very useful whether or not it rains.  I also think having waterproof shoes are a good idea.  You can always get waterproofing spray and treat an old pair of hiking/walking shoes if you don't already have waterproof ones.  If most of your activities are indoors, or just walking around town, these aren't as necessary.

Yes, to layers. Just returned from a cruise and our weather was to be 50’s with rain up until 4-5 days before the cruise. In actuality, weather was mid-60’s to near 80. Did not see a drop of rain from the time we boarded the ship. Be prepared for anything and don’t rely on that long range forecast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gia2cats said:

Yes, to layers. Just returned from a cruise and our weather was to be 50’s with rain up until 4-5 days before the cruise. In actuality, weather was mid-60’s to near 80. Did not see a drop of rain from the time we boarded the ship. Be prepared for anything and don’t rely on that long range forecast.

We had the same great, but warmer than expected weather, despite the forecast.  With that said, we did a whale-watching tour on an open boat, and were FREEZING!   (It was a speed boat.)  So, I definitely second the advice to be prepared for anything!

• Like 1

We also just returned, and the forecast for weeks ahead was cold and rainy.  Found out the forecast changes very quickly in Alaska.  We had some BEAUTIFUL sunny days in the low 70's, and I was hot walking around Juneau and Skagway.  The next day in Glacier Bay was 56 and total cloud cover for at least 6 hours as we were near the glaciers.  Quite chilly.  I appreciated having a hat and gloves if I wanted to spend much time out on deck or on the balcony.  Had minimal rain.  We didn't do any boat rides or visits on a glacier, so didn't need waterproof clothes, boots, or anything super warm.  The husband wore t-shirt, flannel shirt, and light sweatshirt on the coolest days.  

It was challenging to pack because had to bring clothes for warm and cold weather.  If the sun isn't out, 70 degrees feels cool.  And when the boat was traveling faster on sea days, I needed a jacket to be outside.  Layers worked for us.  

Been up here all week and now on way to Victoria, and we had high 50's in Sitka, and 80-ish in Juneau yesterday.

Layers are key.  Sea days will be much colder than your land days.  Long sleeves were fine, and the hoodies came off by afternoon.  A rain shell is necessary.

Edited by Lane Hog

Just remember, when you aee layered up to the eyeballs because it is chucking it down ... if the rain stops and you need to ' de-layer ' then you need to be able to deal with all your wet clothing 😄

I've been to Alaska twice. When people mentioned layers I was like Texas layers or North Dakota layers. :classic_biggrin:

This is what works for me - Athletic wear. 

Pants - cuddle duds for base layer and athletic leggings, joggers, etc. for top layer. Most days I didn't use my cuddle duds. But when we were at the glacier I was so glad I packed them as well as when we were whale watching and sitting in the cold drizzle watching the lumberjack show. 

Top - tank, long sleeve t-shirt, thin pullover jacket/fleece, sweatshirt, pullover rain hoodie/poncho (look in camping section of Academy, the one we have is a thick plastic material that folds up in a pouch).

I go outside on the balcony first thing on a cruise morning to see what to wear and bring in my backpack. 

I would recommend dry wicking material for pants and tops.

We always pack something fleece, a sweatshirt and rain poncho. We throw these 3 items in our backpack.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 7:48 AM, kayehall said:

What brand please?

At that price point, Marmot PreCip jackets are a great buy.  Had mine for 10 years of hard use before I retired it this year for a Patagonia Torrentshell.  

On 6/23/2023 at 12:53 PM, AKStafford said:

Any weather forecast for Alaska that is more than 36 hours out is just a guess. 

Truth!  We just returned from Alaska--when we packed, the forecast was 50s & low 60s and rainy every day...by the time we traveled there, it was 86 in Juneau and 70s the rest of the trip, aside from in Glacier Bay, where we did use heavier coats, hats, and gloves.  Did not have a single drop of rain until we were driving home from the airport in Illinois.  

Lightweight layers and some sort of windbreaker will be used  no matter the temperature.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 6:48 AM, kayehall said:

What brand please?

North Face. I bought it 3-1/2 years ago, but this looks like it. It's completely waterproof and I love it: https://www.thenorthface.com/en-us/womens/womens-jackets-and-vests/womens-rainwear-c299273/womens-antora-jacket-pNF0A7QEU?color=6R4

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 8.05.19 PM.png

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 9:34 AM, Sigyn said:

Our Celebrity cruise leaves Vancouver on July 7, so I'm just starting to see the weather forecast for that day, but everything leading up to it is rainy and chilly. A definite weather pattern is taking shape. I'm fine with that, it's Alaska after all and I understand anything is possible. But what clothes should I take to make sure I'm prepared? A waterproof rain jacket, a long sleeve shirt underneath? Is that enough? Or do I need another layer? I saw some people mentioning gloves and scarfs for the glaciers. Is that needed for July?

We live where it's usually in the 80's in the summer, down to the 30's and even 20's in winter, but rain and high 50's, low 60's is definitely chilly to us for this time of year. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here's what I'm seeing on weather.com for upcoming weather for Juneau and Skagway, for instance: 

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 9.26.36 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 9.27.11 AM.png

Re: gloves and scarves - remember, glacier are usually in “bowls” surrounded by mountains. Think of it as an old- fashioned ice box, where the glacier cools all the air in the bowl. And add any wind and it gets a bit chilly!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We're back from our cruise. Just to confirm what others said, the weather totally changed by the time we went on our cruise a few days later. No rain at all on our cruise, except for a bit of misty rain the morning we went to see Hubbard Glacier but that ended at 8 am. Weather was in the low 60's almost every day, getting up to the mid-60's some days. Perfect weather, really, for an Alaskan cruise.

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 3

I had snow and rain scheduled every day.

11 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

We're back from our cruise. Just to confirm what others said, the weather totally changed by the time we went on our cruise a few days later. No rain at all on our cruise, except for a bit of misty rain the morning we went to see Hubbard Glacier but that ended at 8 am. Weather was in the low 60's almost every day, getting up to the mid-60's some days. Perfect weather, really, for an Alaskan cruise.

So glad to hear that! I had snow and rain scheduled every day. It was 70's and sunny (almost too warm).

Glad you had a perfect weather cruise!

3 hours ago, latebuyer said:

The weather for our cruise was forecast as bad and it was bad so sorry never assume you will have good weather. Bring clothes for everything 

Yea - I had one that said sunny all week and it was cold, foggy, rainy, ice pellets, etc.... Couldn't see anything all week. So the opposite can occur also.