Traffic in Boston?

togacath

Our cruise line just sent an advisory warning about traffic delays getting to the Boston pier for our July departure.  We are staying the night before at a hotel near the airport.  Is it really going to be an issue?

26 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Which Line and Date are you speaking about.

Traffic problems are common from personal experience around the 4th of July period.

The problem is not just normal traffic - they are closing the Sumner Tunnel from July 5 through August 31. It's been closed on weekends for about a year now. I would it takes twice as long to get out of the airport to the Seaport with it closed. For example, it should take maybe 15 to 20 minutes to get to the Seaport and it can take more like half an hour. It was really bad the first few weekends but not so bad after that.

You will still be able to get there, but leave plenty of time. And check in advance the Google maps estimates and the availability of Lyft and Uber (if that's what your doing). 

• Like 2

My specific trip is Holland America departing on July 22nd which is a Saturday.  Thank you, Rubyfisch, for the input on Sumner Tunnel.  Will definitely plan on extra time and patience!

19 hours ago, togacath said:

My specific trip is Holland America departing on July 22nd which is a Saturday.  Thank you, Rubyfisch, for the input on Sumner Tunnel.  Will definitely plan on extra time and patience!

On a Saturday with time and patience, you'll be fine. I think the cruise lines are (rightfully) concerned that people will think they can get to the cruise port from the airport in ten minutes. Back before the pandemic, I lived near the cruise port on D Street. I traveled a lot for work, and I could get to the airport in seven minutes in an Uber, and home in a cab in under ten. With the Sumner closed, that not going to happen. But you will get there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Last year, the very first weekend the Sumner Tunnel was closed, I had flown back into Logan and was heading home. I kid you not, it took me over an hour to get out of the garage and to the Williams tunnel.

I am so not looking forward to getting home from Logan in July 5 ....

We are on a Holland America cruise to Iceland and returning to Boston on August 23rd which is a Wednesday      We have booked the transfer from port to airport thru Holland.   Our flight is at 12:45 on Southwest.    I’m hoping that people that cruise before us will post on here how bad the delays getting to airport are and if I should be concerned with the flight I have booked.  I appreciate any updated info that anyone can share.  Please do not suggest we take a taxi or Uber as we are in our senior years and don’t feel comfortable doing either of those options.  Thanks

Maryell

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Arriving at 12:45 on day of sailing? Not a wise choice...look at the weather and flight issues already this summer.

Sorry I wasn’t clear.   We are flying in a day early as we always do.   They question I posted was for after cruise going from port to airport.    Thanks.  

8 minutes ago, maryandmarge said:

Sorry I wasn’t clear.   We are flying in a day early as we always do.   They question I posted was for after cruise going from port to airport.    Thanks.  

Oops, sorry. You shouldn't have any problems catching a 12:45 flight.

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Oops, sorry. You shouldn't have any problems catching a 12:45 flight.

I’m hoping that’s true - but because they are closing the one big tunnel this week for the rest of the summer - people have expressed concerns in traffic holdups.    Even Holland sent out an email last week warning of possible delays.  I really don’t want to reschedule flight home to later flight.    Thanks for your response.    

So today was the first day of the full shutdown. I left the terminal building around 5:15 pm, and was at South Station by 5:45 on the Silver Line. With no traffic, that would probably take a little under 15 minutes.

The availability of Ubers and Lyfts wasn't great, and the Silver Line is getting to use an access road that no one else is, which makes things a little faster.

All in all, it could have been better, but it also could have been worse. I'm not sure how much of a real test today was, though, as I think a lot of people took it off.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

So today was the first day of the full shutdown. I left the terminal building around 5:15 pm, and was at South Station by 5:45 on the Silver Line. With no traffic, that would probably take a little under 15 minutes.

The availability of Ubers and Lyfts wasn't great, and the Silver Line is getting to use an access road that no one else is, which makes things a little faster.

All in all, it could have been better, but it also could have been worse. I'm not sure how much of a real test today was, though, as I think a lot of people took it off.

Thanks for your response.   Hoping as the month goes on others coming off the cruise ship and heading to the airport will also give us some input also.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 5:11 PM, maryandmarge said:

We are on a Holland America cruise to Iceland and returning to Boston on August 23rd which is a Wednesday      We have booked the transfer from port to airport thru Holland.   Our flight is at 12:45 on Southwest.    I’m hoping that people that cruise before us will post on here how bad the delays getting to airport are and if I should be concerned with the flight I have booked.  I appreciate any updated info that anyone can share.  Please do not suggest we take a taxi or Uber as we are in our senior years and don’t feel comfortable doing either of those options.  Thanks

Maryell

You'll be fine, don't stress.  Getting to the airport from the Seaport is easy.  That time on a typical Saturday AM would be 15 minutes tops.  

3 hours ago, Julma said:

You'll be fine, don't stress.  Getting to the airport from the Seaport is easy.  That time on a typical Saturday AM would be 15 minutes tops.  

Thanks so much - makes me feel a lot more confident in our choice of flights to return home.