Norway and Sweden and Denmark - did you need cash or did you get by on your cards

I have only used cash in Norway once in the past five years, and that was only because I had forgotten my bank card, and my partner didn’t want to get up from the table to buy me a coffee! 😂 (I was honestly surprised he had any, and only one queue at the coffee counter could accept it.)

When I travel to Sweden or Denmark, I don’t even consider using cash there either.

Exactly the same for me - traveled a lot in Norway and Sweden but didn't use cash - not  in Denmark either.
However, you should be aware that many vending machines and toilets as well as smaller businesses do not have terminals that can read magnetic stripes - a Chip/PIN / contactless card is therefore necessary if you want to do without cash completely.

A good option is ApplePay/ Google Pay - accepted on all contactless terminals.

as others have said, largely cashless. 

I enjoy having a few leftover coins from different countries as a souvenir more than anything.  I am, however a fan of graphics and design.

If you like to travel in out of the way places and small villages, it is good to have a small amount of cash for when things go sideways, but overall I would not worry.

1 minute ago, SimplyMarvie said:

…or bus fare

In Denmark you can still only pay with cash if purchasing tickets from the driver - several options to purchase tickets in kiosks - also App possible. Same tickets for busses. Metro, harbor bus (ferry) and trains.

Just returned from Baltic cruise and spent  time in  Stockholm and Copenhagen. I got  $50..00 worth of Swedish and Danish Kronors for tips. I tipped the room maid  last day of our three night stay at hotel in Stockholm. I also tipped the tax driver who retrieved my prescription glasses I left in my room of the NOFO hotel.on embarkation day on Viking Jupiter. Guest relation called the hotel and they  gave my glasses to taxi driver I met him outside on pier and paid the taxi fare by credit card and gave the man a big ti in cash.. He smiled and pointed to his glass he was wearing too. This saved my  cruise before it even started

.I also paid in cash to two  vendors one in Mariehamn , Arland and one in Copenhagen. 

I tipped all our guides on our ship excursions in Kronor.

Also tipped the hotel bellman  for taking our four pieces of luggage to our rooms in Copenhagen and also down to waiting  van when we left for airport. Also paid in Kronor for strawberries at the food market  in Copenhagen. Otherwise we paid by credit card for everything..

Edited by Azulann

FYI - Tipping is not necessary in Norway. Some card terminals may offer the option, but you can just enter the total amount again. Even if you receive extraordinary service, don’t tip more than 10%. Tipping drivers, hotel staff, etc is definitely not expected.

Some tour operators or tourist-heavy businesses may capitalize on other cultures’ tipping habits and suggest it as a norm, but this is absolutely not the norm and considered by many locals to be exploitative and problematic. (The one exception is free tours that are financed on a pay-what-you-want operating model.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just got back from 2 weeks in the Baltics (10-night cruise plus pre-stay in Stockholm), and the only time foreign currency touched our hands was when a canal cruise operator in Riga accidentally overcharged by 10 euros and gave us that amount back in cash. I never even got out my wallet to use a physical credit card - I used Apple Pay exclusively. My husband doesn't have an iphone and had issues in a couple places with Google Pay, but Apple Pay always worked. If I wasn't right there, he used his physical credit card without issue.

• Thanks 1