Carnival Celebration Delay

Tatertottie

1 hour ago, MayorDrafty said:

MarineTraffic still has the Celebration listed with Amber Cove as the destination.

It is hard to believe that they can keep their itinerary with the 10 hour delay in departure. 

3 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The missing diver was a different situation, not related to the boat/ferry crash. It happened on Deerfield Beach on the same day. I think the confusion was caused by the radio transmissions heard on the live videos. There was a mention of the missing diver at about 3:30 a.m.  I wondered why a diver would be reported missing in the middle of the night, but it was just regarding the continued search. 

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sail2day said:

It is hard to believe that they can keep their itinerary with the 10 hour delay in departure. 

It showed them at 22 knots (Wikipedia says the top speed is 23) and arrival 3.5 hours later than originally scheduled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MayorDrafty said:

It showed them at 22 knots (Wikipedia says the top speed is 23) and arrival 3.5 hours later than originally scheduled.

If the10:00 AM Wednesday arrival time for San Juan is accurate, Carnival could even delay the departure from Amber Cove by 3 to 3.5 hours and still make it to San Juan on time by maintaining a similar speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreyB said:

Just another prime example of why one should book directly with the cruise line instead of with a TA. Fantastic customer service throughout this by CCL. 

Our total additional costs are a Lyft to the hotel, a day’s food and an extra day of pet boarding. Probably $150 at most, not even enough to bother submitting on our travel insurance. We just arrived home and I’m happy to be sleeping in my own bed tonight.

• Like 5

On 6/26/2023 at 9:19 PM, MayorDrafty said:

t showed them at 22 knots (Wikipedia says the top speed is 23) and arrival 3.5 hours later than originally scheduled.

I got off this morning and we had amber cove and San Juan delayed but given a little extra time at ports. But as you stated when not in port we were Hauling. With speeds that fast and some rough weather Monday-Wednesday I expected some complaints on board but the ship is so large you really did not notice honestly. The last 2 days at sea we travelled at a very leisurely pace. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ellasmomanddad said:

I got off this morning and we had amber cove and San Juan delayed but given a little extra time at ports. But as you stated when not in port we were Hauling. With speeds that fast and some rough weather Monday-Wednesday I expected some complaints on board but the ship is so large you really did not notice honestly. The last 2 days at sea we travelled at a very leisurely pace. 

Sounds like you had a great cruise. Happy to hear that. 🥂

On 6/25/2023 at 12:39 PM, Tatertotttie said:

I am currently in line for one of the shuttles to Bayside. Bags have been left with porters. My son and I took a train from South Carolina to Miami so we don't have a rental car. We had to check out of our hotel at 12pm so we were stuck hostage by our luggage. At least now the burden of luggage is gone and we will shop and eat until we're told that the Port is open. We really appreciate Carnival providing the shuttles and I can't wait to let their staff know how much we appreciate them.

Did you happen to spend a lot of time in the Alchemy Bar?  I was there quite regularly myself, and I overheard a woman talking about her sone and talking about several upcoming cruises.  

On 6/28/2023 at 12:32 AM, TreyB said:

Just another CCL basher who in other threads is advocating stiffing Carnival on the drink package and stiffing servers on their tips. 

What a peach. 

Me this you are totally correct

On 6/26/2023 at 1:24 AM, Destiny0315 said:

Kudos really to all three of these cruise lines CCL, NCL and MSC, and their personnel along with the Port of Miami for pulling this off! Beyond a logistical nightmare going on here to turn around roughly 30K+ people with roughly 5K+ crew members and who knows how many port people involved at totally abnormal hours for all. Also the Carnival Conquest and Sunrise ships along with the RCCL Freedom of the Seas are scheduled to be arriving at the port in just a few hours.

Kudos to Carnival maybe; the others....not to MSC and how they handled it. Carnival handled it so much better I'm willing to price them out again after several year hiatus. 

5 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Kudos to Carnival maybe; the others....not to MSC and how they handled it. Carnival handled it so much better I'm willing to price them out again after several year hiatus. 

I liked the ship and I liked how Carnival handled the situation. I didn’t like how crowded it was. Unfortunately when you’re on a ship with 6000+ people there are always going to be long lines for everything. Our fault for picking their newest ship in June, but in the future I’m going to try to limit our Carnival sailings to off-peak times and (especially) smaller ships.

I think I’m just generically programmed to be uncomfortable jammed together with  that many people.

On 6/26/2023 at 9:54 PM, TreyB said:

Just another prime example of why one should book directly with the cruise line instead of with a TA. Fantastic customer service throughout this by CCL. 

Not seeing how that demonstrates anything, but maybe that is me….

19 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

It is interesting what drives us to do this or that, in any event….welcome back (maybe a tad early…)

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is interesting what drives us to do this or that, in any event….welcome back (maybe a tad early…)

This is true. Very true. I practically grew up with Carnival, having been sailing on them with my parents since the early '90s when I was still a whippersnapper. My 1st cruise was when I was 12 and we sailed on the Holiday when it was practically new. I have sailed various other cruise lines over the years but always find myself "coming home to mama" at the end of the day. I have seen many changes over the years, some good, some bad that left me scratching my head, but at the end of the day it has been my preferred brand for more reasons that I can put in this short post.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have no specific issue with Carnival that drove me away. I had a great cruise on Magic in autumn 2019 just before Covid. 

I had FCC's from Covid-era with Royal and Celebrity I needed to exhaust first; and glad I did as prices continue to escalate. I got to sail a few Disney, Holland America, Virgin Voyages, and MSC since cruise restart as well. Carnival has pricing power now, which is good for the industry, but their older ships (anything more than 1 generation beyond current or 10+ years, IMO) aren't worth, to me, paying what I can get on a newer ship from a more premium line (very mixed results with this, btw.). 

I think I am just not a mega, mega ship person. Anything over 4000 people is just too much for my liking it seems. I am very intrigued by Celebration/Mardi Gras but continue coming off mega ships not really wowed and definitely not relaxed (other lines), so am reluctant to pay the premium.  I'm glad some areas of the industry are trending to new mid-sized ships. I understand why carnival is not. For the right itinerary and right price I never say never. Carnival still offers excellent space in standard category cabins, the food is always good, they offer great kids club. 

I have no distinct loyalty to any cruise line really;  although I do appreciate the perks I get on other lines that I don't get on Carnival. I understand why Carnival doesn't offer reciprocity, but it does weigh in on the overall value proposition. 

The best solution for me doesn't exist: Carnival family attractions and great standard category cabins, with Royal's Wow factor and easy to get around ships, Celebrities indescribable numerous small premium touches, Holland America's service and food, Virgin Voyages upscale vibe, all food included, and zero nickle and dime approach, MSC's live entertainment and relaxed dress codes. Disney operates on brand equity...okay, I'll give them this, their "system" for keeping flow works pretty well. 

Mix all those up. You still won't get pool side Horse Races. What's a guy to do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I have no specific issue with Carnival that drove me away. I had a great cruise on Magic in autumn 2019 just before Covid. 

I had FCC's from Covid-era with Royal and Celebrity I needed to exhaust first; and glad I did as prices continue to escalate. I got to sail a few Disney, Holland America, Virgin Voyages, and MSC since cruise restart as well. Carnival has pricing power now, which is good for the industry, but their older ships (anything more than 1 generation beyond current or 10+ years, IMO) aren't worth, to me, paying what I can get on a newer ship from a more premium line (very mixed results with this, btw.). 

I think I am just not a mega, mega ship person. Anything over 4000 people is just too much for my liking it seems. I am very intrigued by Celebration/Mardi Gras but continue coming off mega ships not really wowed and definitely not relaxed (other lines), so am reluctant to pay the premium.  I'm glad some areas of the industry are trending to new mid-sized ships. I understand why carnival is not. For the right itinerary and right price I never say never. Carnival still offers excellent space in standard category cabins, the food is always good, they offer great kids club. 

I have no distinct loyalty to any cruise line really;  although I do appreciate the perks I get on other lines that I don't get on Carnival. I understand why Carnival doesn't offer reciprocity, but it does weigh in on the overall value proposition. 

The best solution for me doesn't exist: Carnival family attractions and great standard category cabins, with Royal's Wow factor and easy to get around ships, Celebrities indescribable numerous small premium touches, Holland America's service and food, Virgin Voyages upscale vibe, all food included, and zero nickle and dime approach, MSC's live entertainment and relaxed dress codes. Disney operates on brand equity...okay, I'll give them this, their "system" for keeping flow works pretty well. 

Mix all those up. You still won't get pool side Horse Races. What's a guy to do. 

I remember you fairly well and your cruising history from posts.  We had a bunch of posts over time.... All good.  My point was really that sometimes something totally for another purpose (in this case informing their clientele of an issue outside their control) has affects in other areas.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I remember you fairly well and your cruising history from posts.  We had a bunch of posts over time.... All good.  My point was really that sometimes something totally for another purpose (in this case informing their clientele of an issue outside their control) has affects in other areas.  

Yes, I got more frequent and clear communications from Carnival than I did from MSC.  Exact same circumstance and conditions; two completely different styles of leadership on display.  

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 2