Carnival Celebration Delay

Tatertottie

Just received notice that the Port of Miami is temporarily closed to do a boating "incident". I was scheduled to board the Carnival Celebration today but they are delayed because they cannot dock. Only found 1 news article that doesn't explain much. Does anyone know what happened? I certainly hope that everyone is safe. 

https://snbc13.com/port-of-miami-accident-authorities-investigating-florida-boating-crash-closed/

2 minutes ago, Tatertotttie said:

Just received notice that the Port of Miami is temporarily closed to do a boating "incident". I was scheduled to board the Carnival Celebration today but they are delayed because they cannot dock. Only found 1 news article that doesn't explain much. Does anyone know what happened? I certainly hope that everyone is safe. 

https://snbc13.com/port-of-miami-accident-authorities-investigating-florida-boating-crash-closed/

I read on another board that a boat crashed into a ferry.One dead.

MIAMI -- A tragic boat accident just east of Pilot House Station at Dodge Island left one person dead and another hospitalized early Sunday morning, according to Miami Fire Rescue.

Around 3 a.m., officials were called to the scene.

Upon arriving at the scene, Miami Fire rescue received information that a roughly 30-foot-long vessel had struck a Fisher Island Ferry in the channel.

The ferry crew successfully retrieved the victim, who was then transported to Ryder Trauma in critical condition.

While being transported to the hospital, the victim informed paramedics that his friend was still missing.

In response, the Miami Dive Team was immediately dispatched to initiate a search and rescue operation.

Multiple agencies joined the efforts to scour the scene.

Shortly afterward, the missing friend was located deceased at the scene.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife agency is currently conducting an investigation.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

MIAMI -- A tragic boat accident just east of Pilot House Station at Dodge Island left one person dead and another hospitalized early Sunday morning, according to Miami Fire Rescue.

Around 3 a.m., officials were called to the scene.

Upon arriving at the scene, Miami Fire rescue received information that a roughly 30-foot-long vessel had struck a Fisher Island Ferry in the channel.

The ferry crew successfully retrieved the victim, who was then transported to Ryder Trauma in critical condition.

While being transported to the hospital, the victim informed paramedics that his friend was still missing.

In response, the Miami Dive Team was immediately dispatched to initiate a search and rescue operation.

Multiple agencies joined the efforts to scour the scene.

Shortly afterward, the missing friend was located deceased at the scene.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife agency is currently conducting an investigation.

Very sad. Thanks for this information Cole.

• Like 1

Looking at the Port of Miami webcam now. All inbound ships into POM are still at the anchorage area. Its going to be a long day there for sure. Everyone will need to pack a little extra patience today.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Looking at the Port of Miami webcam now. All inbound ships into POM are still at the anchorage area. Its going to be a long day there for sure. Everyone will need to pack a little extra patience today.

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/boat-accident/?fbclid=IwAR0PcVal_ixRmsthUoHxsY0f3pk62s4Ae_xZb1xzjJOWERJfNZW5dGWxiIo

https://www.portmiamiwebcam.com/?fbclid=IwAR2Te9hx-c8bQNHByVhfrW1c1qhT_wmXooyBefEAK4_znWKI806DbRohqXs

Edited by TexasRon
  • Thanks 1

I'm onboard Celebration right now. It's a lot going on. Someone onboard needs medical attention and the coast guard is doing a special embarkation for them. They said we may not be off the ship until 12. The staff here has been great handling the changes and trying to make special accomodations 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, mac21902 said:

I'm onboard Celebration right now. It's a lot going on. Someone onboard needs medical attention and the coast guard is doing a special embarkation for them. They said we may not be off the ship until 12. The staff here has been great handling the changes and trying to make special accomodations 

Please keep us updated as you're able. I give Carnival a lot of credit because this isn't their fault and it seems they were the first to notify their passengers of the delay. I've been mingling with passengers at our hotel and everyone is appreciative of the hourly texts we've been receiving. 

• Like 2

They will probably reopen the port at noon so that the ships can dock. From what I can tell the investigation into the accident is still ongoing.  I see the ships are all still at their anchorage spot just off the coast. Embarkation for new passengers probably will not begin until at least 3 pm today. 

11 minutes ago, Tatertotttie said:

Please keep us updated as you're able. I give Carnival a lot of credit because this isn't their fault and it seems they were the first to notify their passengers of the delay. I've been mingling with passengers at our hotel and everyone is appreciative of the hourly texts we've been receiving. 

Our cruise director has been giving us updates every 15 mins and guest services has been in overdrive helping people. There are quite a few people that have missed flights. One of the staff mentioned they have never seen anything like this before and we may have to switch ports. Has anyone ever seen/heard that before? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mac21902 said:

Our cruise director has been giving us updates every 15 mins and guest services has been in overdrive helping people. There are quite a few people that have missed flights. One of the staff mentioned they have never seen anything like this before and we may have to switch ports. Has anyone ever seen/heard that before? 

I cannot imagine that they would switch the port. Seems impossible when everyone is already here and waiting to disembark/embark. It would turn a nightmare into a disaster scenario. 

30 minutes ago, maintain242001 said:

Here is why I cringe when people ask can I make the 1130am flight out of miami the day we get off....sure you can 95% of the timez unfortunately and tragically this is the 5%.

this is similar to what happens when ships can not dock due to fog. Tampa and Galveston had issues with fog delaying the ship arrival to port

12 minutes ago, mac21902 said:

It is possible for the ships to relocation temporary to nearby Port Everglades but that causes a massive logistics nightmare of shuttle people back to maimi to get their cars, issues with airport shuttles and so on

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tatertotttie said:

I cannot imagine that they would switch the port. Seems impossible when everyone is already here and waiting to disembark/embark. It would turn a nightmare into a disaster scenario. 

I thought the same thing. We fly out tomorrow morning so we're not as anxious as some of the other guests that have flights today. We have 27 in our group. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mac21902 said:

Conquest once had to dock in Mobile instead of New Orleans due to the Mississippi River being closed. Carnival had a little more notice with that than what they had this morning, though.

On the Marine Traffic app it looks like the 1st ship is entering the channel. It is a freighter the "Seaboard Blue". Let's hope that the remaining cruise ships at anchor will slowly begin moving into the channel. 

1 hour ago, maintain242001 said:

Here is why I cringe when people ask can I make the 1130am flight out of miami the day we get off....sure you can 95% of the timez unfortunately and tragically this is the 5%.

Exactly. This is why my response to that question is always, “Sorry, no one can answer that because we are not physic. It’s always best not to book something before late afternoon.”

• Like 1