Delays in Miami this morning!! June 25

hallux

For those on the Escape today - it seems there was an incident in Government Cut this morning.  Several cruise ships, including the Escape, are waiting offshore to enter the port.  BLC Streams live cam for the port is showing the ships off-shore and has said the incident was recorded on their NVR (Network Video Recorder).  They did not indicate there was a timetable for the ships to dock.

Check your email and texts for messages from NCL about your embarkation!!!

UPDATED: a vessel collided with a Fisher Island ferry, one fatality on the sunken vessel.  Incident happened around 3:30 AM.

Edited by hallux
  • Thanks 1

MIAMI -- A tragic boat accident just east of Pilot House Station at Dodge Island left one person dead and another hospitalized early Sunday morning, according to Miami Fire Rescue.

Around 3 a.m., officials were called to the scene.

Upon arriving at the scene, Miami Fire rescue received information that a roughly 30-foot-long vessel had struck a Fisher Island Ferry in the channel.

The ferry crew successfully retrieved the victim, who was then transported to Ryder Trauma in critical condition.

While being transported to the hospital, the victim informed paramedics that his friend was still missing.

In response, the Miami Dive Team was immediately dispatched to initiate a search and rescue operation.

Multiple agencies joined the efforts to scour the scene.

Shortly afterward, the missing friend was located deceased at the scene.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife agency is currently conducting an investigation.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Tragic. I am always impressed to see how the ferry crews are able to operate around the big cruise ships and smaller yachts.

Agree, tragic.  I never understood the fascination with speeding about around the commercial vessels while in the cut, something was bound to happen the way the smaller personal vessels moved around.

EDIT: is anyone on the Escape right now?  Have they made you vacate your rooms to public areas or are you allowed to stay for now?

Edited by hallux

Thank you for the information!  We are in Miami trying to get to port, just got a notice from Norwegian saying don’t come until noon. Called the transportation company we were supposed to use and they had heard nothing about it. Went to the Miami port site and didn’t see information that fit either. Can I ask what links you are using to see what’s happening?  It’s awful that happened to somebody. We actually have to check out of a hotel by 11 so trying to figure out the best course of action.

sorry, I should’ve been more specific about links. That live cam maybe? That map of where the boats are?  Trying to do this on my phone.  

Edited by aroundtheriverbend
Clarity

A friend of mine has friends onboard now.  Seems they can stay in cabins and food is available but the bars and pools are closed.  Carnival Celebration started showing movies on the Lido deck and it seems that there are divers in the water in Government Cut (via the VHF feed on the PTZ Miami webcam.)

Miami Dade police just told the Fischer Island Ferry boats to shut down.  

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Pray that no one’s hurt.  

Frankly, surprised this doesn’t happen more often given the amount of traffic in and out of that port.

Reports are one person is died and another is in critical condition in the hospital.  A pleasure craft stuck a Fisher Island Ferry at 0300 and sank.  Why a pleasure craft was in The Cut at 3 A.M., I do not know.

This is going to be a mess for several hour yet getting all the investigations done.

2 minutes ago, njkate said:

It will be a major headache for disembarking passengers, missed flights etc

It was commented on the BLC stream I linked - any time someone asks about early flights, remember this day...

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Reports are one person is died and another is in critical condition in the hospital.  A pleasure craft stuck a Fisher Island Ferry at 0300 and sank.  Why a pleasure craft was in The Cut at 3 A.M., I do not know.

This is going to be a mess for several hour yet getting all the investigations done.

Yeah….there are a lot of questions surrounding this tragedy.  Aside from the loss of life and injuries, this is going to take a while.  Disembarkation, with all the ships trying to dock, is going to be an issue for all the ships.  And, those waiting to embark, it’s going to take a long while, I’m afraid.

1 hour ago, megr1125 said:

A friend of mine has friends onboard now.  Seems they can stay in cabins and food is available but the bars and pools are closed.  Carnival Celebration started showing movies on the Lido deck and it seems that there are divers in the water in Government Cut (via the VHF feed on the PTZ Miami webcam.)

Miami Dade police just told the Fischer Island Ferry boats to shut down.  

Guests on Carnival are reporting that the bars are open and that the entertainment crew is working in overdrive.

Someone on MSC reported that crew said they may need to debark in FLL. Just rumors right now and we all know how rumors can fly around a ship (often inaccurate). 

John Heald will give another update at noon.  You can also sign up for text messages (texting CCL3 to CRUISE (278473) if you are trying to board today (or trying to get off the ship). I know it's CCL info, but it should give a good idea of when the port will reopen.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, hallux said:

It was commented on the BLC stream I linked - any time someone asks about early flights, remember this day...

Well,,, I do t plan my cruises air travel based on a one-off. As I posted earlier, I have been stuck just off shore in heavy fog before. And just rebooked myself on a later flight while waiting to enter the port. I am not going to book a 6 pm flight out of Miami “just in case” stuff happens. 11 am is my target departure time. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

According to the Coast Guard the are waiting to open the North Channel of Government Cut until they clear the sunken vessel.

As of 1:00 p.m. there are no signs salvage efforts of the sunken vessel have begun.

The Miami Port cam shows a barge with crane and police boats in the area..image.thumb.png.d5d449faaf896f79289115f0dc4b2a8c.png

• Like 1

Looks like the salvage vessel to remove the sunken vessel is on scene.

Carnival is doing a great job updating information. They have given everyone waiting to embark $20 to have lunch in Miami and are also providing a shuttle from the port to the mall for people who are already at the port. CCL is asking passengers not to come to the port until 4:00 p.m. at the earliest. 

I'm not able to find any information published directly from NCL. Those effected today may want to sign up for the CCL text messages for updates. I know this isn't NCL but I think it should give an idea when Government Cut reopens.  CCL3 to CRUISE (278473)

image.png.2a62ec7716031c71f1d13b0e8cff763a.png

• Like 1