Odd question- medical services on RCCL

Our family has two Medical calls in our history. Both were non-accidents, and we were billed to our stateroom account, which was linked to our credit card. We received fat envelopes with the bill and the details on both occasions, so that we might forward to our travel insurance.

Actually, I recall on the first time, we had to medically disembark, and the Medical office was in constant contact and had me wait a moment at the gangway, so that they could make sure I had all paperwork I needed, both for insurance, and for the island's hospital. 

I think, both incidents, were handled quite well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sadiwest said:

That I don't know. I assume we, as passengers, take responsibility for any injuries we sustain participating in activities? 

I broke my arm on the Anthem going to the gym and did not get charged for treatment.  (xrays, medication, rechecking and recasting until end of cruise.  Was told when injured on the ship there were no charges. That's my experience from 6 years ago and never was charged a penny. Seems the charges would be billed before debarkation, but policies change frequently I'm sure and from ship to ship.

BTW, I needed surgery at home for and my insurance company just asked how it happened and the cruise line and said they would take care of everything and nothing more needed to be doe on my part.

Never heard another word about it or had any charges out of pocket.  Presuming the insurance  company perhaps attempted to be reimbursed by RCL but don't know what happened from then on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Have you ever needed medical attention in board? If so, how were you billed? My daughter went to the medical office for an x-ray after falling during ice skating.  No break.

Since she was with her grandparents I've gotten not much information about the visit (picked her up at 8am from a nearby parking lot. I think they've been sleeping ever since lol). Wondering if they were even asked about insurance information.  I have medical insurance but also took the travel insurance. 

Is it likely we'll get a bill in the mail from RCCL?  Even if I do i imagine between the medical portion of the RCCL offered insurance and our own medical insurance it'll be covered....just wondering if people typically pay on the ship or get billed after. 

Sea pass gets charged.  They don't take insurance.  You have to file your own claim.  Sounds like your daughter was injured on the ship so I don't think you'll get a bill.

Edited by moposh

A number of years ago came down flu on Christmas day.  Good news was medical gave me Tamiflu, some nebulizer sessions and other treatments which had me fully recovered in three days.  Bad news was $1100 charge to my sea pass account.  That was the last time we sailed without travel insurance.

A few years later dw took one into Solarium on Explorer and went down hard on wet floor  breaking her foot.  Everyone was very concerned and medical took good care of her.  A number of security folks stopped by asking to see the bottom of her sneakers which had good tread.  Didn't receive a bill.  When we returned home we wrote to Royal about covering her follow-up Orthopedist bills.  Received a check in the mail for our out of pocket costs plus a credit for a free cruise.

• Like 2

I was dreading the thousand dollar bill, like I've also seen in years past!!!

BUT-

Here's a sample invoice from a cruise just this month:

Office Visit, new patient, level 2: $144.24
Urinalysis: $32.29
10x Antibiotic pills: $8.70
6x small painkiller pills: $4.56

Total: $189.79

They informed me, twice, on the phone when I called to make appt, that we'd be charged the $144. I was also told about the charge when we got to the facility and before they even started the intake. I appreciated the upfront notices about the fee. I'd expect my PCP is charging that amount right now, but we pay copays on land so our bills all much smaller.

We'll wait 6,000 years to see if my travel insurance reimburses any of this 🙂

• Like 1

Also, if I'm remembering things correctly;

When we went to medical in Jan 2018, we had to pay more because we went after hours. The clinic was open for 2 hours in the morning, and 4 hours in the late afternoon, and anything else was considered after hours and considerably more money.

On this month's visit, we called the clinic, and they said we needed an appt. The appts were available every half hour throughout the evening and they didn't seem to differentiate between regular hours and after hours pricing.

Has anyone else seen that they no longer have after hours pricing? Maybe this was changed post-pandemic??

8 hours ago, cello56 said:

Last year I spent about 75 minutes in the ship "ICU" and the bill was $2200. We had to pay the bill immediately before they turned the ship around and went back to port to off load me to an ambulance to take me to the local shore side hospital. Trust me, they wanted payment right then. I will also say that the medical care I was given on the ship was EXCELLENT! Two board certified ER doctors and two nurses. Much better than the care  I received in the San Juan hospital. My 3rd. party medical coverage payed for almost all of the ship board medical care costs. My regular healthcare coverage paid for the hospital in San Juan and the ambulance - they were even 'in network'! 

Omg hope you're ok. Whatever happened I'm glad you got good care!

3 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

A number of years ago came down flu on Christmas day.  Good news was medical gave me Tamiflu, some nebulizer sessions and other treatments which had me fully recovered in three days.  Bad news was $1100 charge to my sea pass account.  That was the last time we sailed without travel insurance.

Did you try getting reimbursed by your healthcare insurance at home?

Doesn't everyone need a credit card on file while they cruise?  Therefore if one incurred any medical bills the card on file would cover them and you'd get off the ship just fine.  Not understanding the posts that say if you owed anything they wouldn't let you off the ship...seems to me your card would be charged and you'd be free to leave without even doing anything.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Doesn't everyone need a credit card on file while they cruise?  Therefore if one incurred any medical bills the card on file would cover them and you'd get off the ship just fine.  Not understanding the posts that say if you owed anything they wouldn't let you off the ship...seems to me your card would be charged and you'd be free to leave without even doing anything.

They gave us a choice as to what card the rather large sum was charged to. They also sent four front desk staff to our cabin to help my husband pack up all of our belongs at lightning speed! They did not charge for turning the ship around - luckily we were only about 45 minutes departed from San Juan but it still took awhile. They did not give any refund on the 5 days we missed in our suite. 

I am fine now - just learning to live with A-Fib. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Well, there are cash accounts AND one presumably could use a CC with a low limit.  Either way, if the bill is higher (whether for medical, excursions, drink/dining plans, etc), you won't be allowed off if you still owe money.

On 6/25/2023 at 3:41 PM, sadiwest said:

Have you ever needed medical attention in board? If so, how were you billed? My daughter went to the medical office for an x-ray after falling during ice skating.  No break.

Since she was with her grandparents I've gotten not much information about the visit (picked her up at 8am from a nearby parking lot. I think they've been sleeping ever since lol). Wondering if they were even asked about insurance information.  I have medical insurance but also took the travel insurance. 

Is it likely we'll get a bill in the mail from RCCL?  Even if I do i imagine between the medical portion of the RCCL offered insurance and our own medical insurance it'll be covered....just wondering if people typically pay on the ship or get billed after. 

44 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

If you read the original post, the OP asks how medical is billed and will a bill come in the mail.  We are all explaining how we have been charged in the past.  The OP was not on the ship to ask any billing questions, the child cruised with her grandparents.

On our April cruise, my son woke up with a very high fever and we took him to see the doctor during posted hours (Tylenol brought the fever down so we did not do urgent care).  He was diagnosed with an ear infection and given liquid amoxicillin.  We were charged $180 to our folio for the exam and the antibiotics.  We received an itemized bill with diagnosis codes the next day in our cabin.  I submitted that to our travel insurance I had purchased on my own and was very quickly reimbursed without further question or investigation.

Edited by silentbob007

Royal realizes that it is much less expensive to provide free care to virtually all onboard injuries to reduce their risk of being sued. There is no shortage of law firms ready to sue them at no cost to the injured party. The cost of providing free care for injuries that the cruise line is not at fault for is nothing compared to paying lawyers on shore to defend against or settle lawsuits. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 3:41 PM, sadiwest said:

We have used medical services several times and have always received a bill the day of the treatment which we then sent to our Travel Insurance carrier.

On 6/25/2023 at 7:19 PM, Jam0610 said:

Only used Medical one time. Was billed on my account. Trip Insurance covered the entire

bill. Will say Medical Service was professional and top notch.

Same here.  My husband spent 2 days in Medical before being taken by ambulance to hospital for emergency surgery.  Doctors, nurses, staff, very professional as well as genuinely concerned.  We were billed on our account, with a copy of bill sent to our cabin prior to disembarking.  Our trip insurance covered all of our expenses..ship medical, hospital, airfare home, etc.  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 4:07 PM, Another_Critic said:

I thought cruise lines covered med visits for onboard injuries.

FYI...DH fell going up the stairs to the WC and cut his knee open (no stitches needed). The staff on board and Medical were over accommodating to us. He went there daily to have it cleaned and rebandaged. There was no charge and we did not have RCCL insurance.