Create another Guarantee booking to see what you get?

speedgraphic

I am a vicious deal hunter and scored a LA->Cabo->San Diego->LA on Celebrity Eclipse for Oct 22-28, Balcony Concierge Guarantee, for $1355 for two people, with tax/fees but before gratuities (got room 1007, Deck 10), no perks, on Expedia.

I noticed that there is now a Balcony (non Concierge) Guarantee on the same sailing for $1,095 for two people (again with taxes and fees but before gratuities). Does it make sense to book that too to see if I get an OK stateroom, then cancel the first booking? Will I even be allowed to do that? I would love to save ~$250 and spend it on some snorkeling.

My concern is that my wife does not want an obstructed view (particularly those from lifeboats).

With the veranda guarantee you could end up with a obstructed view (lifeboats) vs knowling what cabin you have now.  Is $250 worth making your wife unhappy if you end up in a obstructed view cabin???

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Non refundable deposits are now lost if you cancel.  

Expedia indicates both the deposit I already have down and the one I will make are fully refundable with the package I chose/will choose.

I agree that it's not worth it to risk it, but, I already found out my Concierge Class Guarantee room within a few days of booking - I assume I will find the same if I book another Guarantee, and then I can keep the better one.

Edited by speedgraphic

32 minutes ago, speedgraphic said:

I assume I will find the same if I book another Guarantee, and then I can keep the better one.

It could be in a week or it could be after final payment is due, you can't rely on it being as quick as the last one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, speedgraphic said:

I am a vicious deal hunter and scored a LA->Cabo->San Diego->LA on Celebrity Eclipse for Oct 22-28, Balcony Concierge Guarantee, for $1355 for two people, with tax/fees but before gratuities (got room 1007, Deck 10), no perks, on Expedia.

I noticed that there is now a Balcony (non Concierge) Guarantee on the same sailing for $1,095 for two people (again with taxes and fees but before gratuities). Does it make sense to book that too to see if I get an OK stateroom, then cancel the first booking? Will I even be allowed to do that? I would love to save ~$250 and spend it on some snorkeling.

My concern is that my wife does not want an obstructed view (particularly those from lifeboats).

Just priced that same cruise and saw AI fares for CC cheaper than that.

• Like 1

Just now, speedgraphic said:

Sorry, what are AI fares? I assume CC is Cruise Critic?

I actually misread your initial post and thought the fare you mentioned was per person, not per cabin. I had searched on my TA site and saw the all included fare for Concierge was cheaper than $1335 per person. Now that I know it's a two person fare, the best I can find is the same as you paid with about $100 in On Board Credit tossed in by the TA. You got a good deal so enjoy yourselves.

11 minutes ago, speedgraphic said:

If both are fully refundable then you have nothing to lose. Just cancel the less desirable room. 

I just booked a suite gty for Ascent. I didn’t really care about the location and fully expected a magic carpet suite but was instantly (quite literally) assigned an S1 sky suite midship, deck 10. Was pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

So just curious - Celebrity assigns your guarantee cabin right away?  I know other cruiselines you can wait right up til sailing to find out.

Apparently they don't always do this - but I was able to log in to my Celebrity account and see a stateroom number within about 3 days after booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dar & Bob said:

So just curious - Celebrity assigns your guarantee cabin right away?  I know other cruiselines you can wait right up til sailing to find out.

I’ve heard that they don’t assign right away from fellow CC members so I was expecting to wait. When I booked via my TA site the room was assigned before I even completed the transaction. 

It depends.   Generally when they offer GTY rooms way before final payment they are just trying to move a bunch of rooms in that category without reducing the pricing (so everyone else asks for the price drop).   In these cases they generally assign rooms pretty quickly.

Close to sailing they may wait until very late like after they process the MoveUps.   It's one of those things you can't predict.

33 minutes ago, whataboutport said:

Thanks to everyone who commented on when/how they assign gty rooms. I booked on Sun and since you all mentioned it, went to check and my room was assigned. A little lower than I hoped but not bad at all! I'm happy

I am going on the same cruise,Oct 22 on Eclipse.My TA put a hold on a Veranda guarantee on June 20.I hadn’t even given payment and they assigned me a cabin.I also had friends booking and their cabin wasn’t assigned.I was not happy with cabin as it was all the way in front on deck 6,above theatre.I knew Princess let you change cabins as long as it is in the same category you are assigned.Not been on Celebrity in a long time so didn’t know their policy.I was able to change to cabin of my choice and she got cabins for friends two doors awayThere were a lot of cabins available last week.Looked today and there was only one cabin left.Prices were great so I guess they are filling the ship.There are no insides available.

15 minutes ago, dianef said:

I am going on the same cruise,Oct 22 on Eclipse.My TA put a hold on a Veranda guarantee on June 20.I hadn’t even given payment and they assigned me a cabin.I also had friends booking and their cabin wasn’t assigned.I was not happy with cabin as it was all the way in front on deck 6,above theatre.I knew Princess let you change cabins as long as it is in the same category you are assigned.Not been on Celebrity in a long time so didn’t know their policy.I was able to change to cabin of my choice and she got cabins for friends two doors awayThere were a lot of cabins available last week.Looked today and there was only one cabin left.Prices were great so I guess they are filling the ship.There are no insides available.

Out of curiousity I checked the current price for my cruise and it went down a bit. I looked up their price match policy (they call it best price I guess) and I filled out the form. While technically I am out of the 48 hr period but just barely. I said I would be happy with OBC. I hope they honor that. I should not have looked at the prices. The fares kept going up and up with insides selling out, but I couldn't book sooner as my cabinmate needed to get her days ok'd by her boss. We booked as soon as she got the ok and now Concierge is cheaper than our balc gty.

1 hour ago, whataboutport said:

Out of curiousity I checked the current price for my cruise and it went down a bit. I looked up their price match policy (they call it best price I guess) and I filled out the form. While technically I am out of the 48 hr period but just barely. I said I would be happy with OBC. I hope they honor that. I should not have looked at the prices. The fares kept going up and up with insides selling out, but I couldn't book sooner as my cabinmate needed to get her days ok'd by her boss. We booked as soon as she got the ok and now Concierge is cheaper than our balc gty.