"Live" Emerald Princess, 16-Day Hawaii, July 6th to July 22nd

LACruiser88

On 7/21/2023 at 12:53 PM, XBGuy said:

Thanks for the update.  This idea of opening up Crown Grill or Sabatini's for lunch is interesting.

• What was the menu like--same as the dining room or unique?

• Was there a cover charge, or was it complimentary?  I agree that if the menu was the same as the dining rooms, then adding a cover charge would be discouraging.  If they offered unique menu items that were prepared a la minute, a modest cover charge might be reasonable.

I understand it was the same menu as they served at dinner in the Crown Grill or Sabatini’s and the cost was the same, as well.  I really would rather go at lunch time as that is usually our larger meal of the day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a problem with my folio/onboard account.  I have been on hold with Princess for the last hour and can't get a live chat representative.  I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how else to get some help.  

On 7/23/2023 at 8:15 AM, Sam.Seattle said:

Yes, it was taken on the Emerald the last night.  Our room steward explained the combination of a longer cruise and families traveling together created a lot more luggage than usual.  The good news was they seem to get the luggage off the ship very quickly.  I did not experience any delay at the port getting our luggage.

Wow, that picture is crazy.  We did have a little delay in debarkation (about 30 minutes from our expected time).  Our family of 5 traveled with only 3 suitcases, so it wasn't our fault!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, theloo said:

I have a problem with my folio/onboard account.  I have been on hold with Princess for the last hour and can't get a live chat representative.  I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how else to get some help.  

I always call when Princess opens up first thing in the morning.  I have not had to wait.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theloo said:

Is this a post cruise problem?

if so, they have a dedicated line to handle this, supposedly.

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2023/02/princess-cruises-launches-welcome-home-program.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, theloo said:

Thanks.  Will try them next.

That post on their website is dated February 2023. I just called the 1-800-PRINCESS number and waited for option 5. Option 5 leads to the possibly "scammy" "Princess Promotions" people. Nothing about post-cruise assistance. 

8 minutes ago, milogurd said:

That post on their website is dated February 2023. I just called the 1-800-PRINCESS number and waited for option 5. Option 5 leads to the possibly "scammy" "Princess Promotions" people. Nothing about post-cruise assistance. 

Are you serious?  That’s terrible.  It specifically states it’s for post cruise questions, like folio charges.  Unreal.

I would send a message through the website for post cruise questions.

Move down to Support Request:

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/customerCare.page

Or

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Edited by PacnGoNow

On 7/23/2023 at 12:05 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I understand it was the same menu as they served at dinner in the Crown Grill or Sabatini’s and the cost was the same, as well.  I really would rather go at lunch time as that is usually our larger meal of the day.  

I agree with you as I’d much rather eat lunch at the CG or Sabatini’s instead of dinner. My DH and I eat a large lunch and very little for dinner. We usually don’t sleep well if we eat at one of the specialty restaurants for dinner.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:06 PM, LACruiser88 said:

The food is down home cooking, not fancy but delicious.  And it is priced right.  Enjoy your cruise!

We spent 5 looooooooooooong years living in Madera, CA. Used to eat at a little pit of a place near the stockyards. Had to go outside and walk around to get to the baño. Best damn Mexican food around. I had people stare at me when I said we ate there but OMG it was good. Best Chile Chile Rellenos I've ever tasted and the Salsa Fresca was fantastic. Genuine down home Mexican food can be great. (I would hate to live in a world without Mexican food. It would be a truly sad place.)

• Like 4

On 7/10/2023 at 2:03 PM, LACruiser88 said:

We have the Princess Plus Package.  With wines within the Plus limits you can usually get a full bottle and they will "charge" your Package a total of 5 drinks (split between the 2 of us, 3 towards my limit and 2 towards my DW's).  You have to have a good Vines bartender that will do this for you.  🍷

Does the MDR this???or just vines

On 7/21/2023 at 11:56 AM, wallyj said:

I board Emerald tomorrow

If you are on the Emerald now, I understand that Naathan Phan will be performing. If so, I would recommend seeing his show and would be interested in hearing your review.

Thanks 

Edited by OccasionalSanta

37 minutes ago, OccasionalSanta said:

If you are on the Emerald now, I understand that Naathan Phan will be performing. If so, I would recommend seeing his show and would be interested in hearing your review.

Thanks 

I have seen Naathan Phan on another Princess sailing previously. I believe he did not make it to the ship,  so this cruise, his show was cancelled. 

I will be back on the Ship for the Aug 5 2023, Hawaii sailing and if he is scheduled to perform, I will report back.

7 hours ago, wallyj said:

I will be back on the Ship for the Aug 5 2023, Hawaii sailing and if he is scheduled to perform, I will report back.

I will also be on the Aug 5 sailing. Naathan is not scheduled for that cruise.

We saw him about a year ago on one of the ships (possibly Discovery)  I later found out he knew both of my sons from Fullerton College so we went to see him again at the Magic Castle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You LACruiser88

Your review was just what my wife and I were looking for. 

We are sailing he Emerald for 15 days in December on a Panama Canal Full Transit and were looking

for feedback on the ship and experience on a longer cruise. 

We had a couple of questions you might be able to help with that will help us with our planning.

1)How long were the typical MDR dinners.   How likely would we be to make a 7:30 Show with a 6PM dinner?  Guessing we would need 5:30? We do have premier to help with seating on the bigger shows

2)My wife and I enjoy wine with dinner and that is the one reason we did the Premier upgrade. We enjoyed our California Cabs on our last sailing despite availability being limited.  I saw that you did the plus package and got a lot of your wine at Vines before dinner. Any chance you can comment on the by the glass wine selection availability? Possibly a copy of the Vines menu for Emerald? Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you again for a great report that was very helpful

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mattnday said:

)How long were the typical MDR dinners.   How likely would we be to make a 7:30 Show with a 6PM dinner?  Guessing we would need 5:30? We do have premier to help with seating on the bigger shows

2)My wife and I enjoy wine with dinner and that is the one reason we did the Premier upgrade. We enjoyed our California Cabs on our last sailing despite availability being limited.  I saw that you did the plus package and got a lot of your wine at Vines before dinner. Any chance you can comment on the by the glass wine selection availability? Possibly a copy of the Vines menu for Emerald? Any tips or suggestions?

For us, dinner is a highlight of our evening and we prefer a slow pace of service.  Our dinners were 2 to 2.5 hrs in length and we always dine at 7 pm.  We no longer attend shows.  You might want to dine at 5:30 to ensure you make it to the 7:30 show???

We thought that this cruise had the best selection of wines by the glass in Vines, since the restart.  Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the menu.  With the Premier pkg you should not have any issue enjoying very good wines.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Hi @LACruiser88, I said Hi to Buzz(Aldrin) from you, when I was on the July 22-29 Emerald sailing at Vines, I am back on the ship for the August 5-21 Hawaii sailing and Buzz has been relocated to the Wheelhouse bar and looking forward to going home when we arrive Honolulu on August 12.

@mattnday, just visit the Vines bar as it seems they tend to have the best wine selection and usually have selections not on the menu they will gladly recommend.

They might have a different selection by the time of your sailing. There are some wines I have found where the dining room says that selection is only available by the bottle, but you can get by the glass at Vines that are covered by the Premier pkg.

My tip is to follow what Debbie and Rafael did and carry a glass into the dining room, saves wait time in ordering a glass once seated.

• Like 2

@wallyj, This morning my wife told me about serious brush fires on Maui and the Big Island.  It sound like there is some serious damage to Lahaina Town.  Since you are on the current sailing, can you report anything to us?

• Like 1

Just now, XBGuy said:

@wallyj, This morning my wife told me about serious brush fires on Maui and the Big Island.  It sound like there is some serious damage to Lahaina Town.  Since you are on the current sailing, can you report anything to us?

We are on Hawaii Island and newscast are reporting that the town of Lahaina has been destroyed by fire and many boats in the harbor burned.  Many many burn victims.  Fires are still burning on Maui and in Kohala area of Hawaii.  

State is asking visitors not to come to Maui.  Situation is still fluid.  Doubt cruise ships will be allowed there for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Hi @XBGuy, I see at least 2 other threads started regarding this topic with one moved to Hawaii. So far today, Wednesday at 11:20am ships time, as we have moved clocks back 2 times already, the Captain has not made any announcements regarding our scheduled stop for Maui on Monday August 14th.

Assume things are still up in the air as it is 5 days away and our first priority is getting to Hilo early for a medical emergency for a patient with an eye issue. Last announcement was we are looking at arriving Hilo 15 hours early

• Thanks 2