Dining reservations

janecambridge: 

Please clarify your Post #122.  

Upon reading, and rereading--you are painting way-too broad a brush re:  " . . because of everyone being advised on here to not book first night . . ."  Not true.  I have done so, on occasion; and am on CC quite a bit.  

When you stayed up until 1am to make restaurant bookings, was that from your residence; or at your pre-stay hotel room before joining the ship?  If from home--you should have received an email from Regent confirming that 7:30pm reservation.  That reservation would then have shown up as a separate entry on your Regent Final Cruise Document.  

AND, just as important--you should have received another confirmation of this that first afternoon aboard when opening one of those "Welcome Aboard" Notes on the dresser table of your Suite.  

Not sure what is meant by " . . . just ask at embarkation."  

Having "said" this--certainly the maitre  de's remarks were inappropriate.  Share cwn's perspective because, buddy, I am past 80.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
context

Mine is a success story---despite myself.

A couple of weeks ago, I chanced on this thread and found Mr. Moore's announcement that the time that dinner reservations would open at 0700 EDT, vice 2000 EDT.  For our cruise, the date that booking opened was 27 August (yesterday).  I preferred the earlier time and set my alarm for 0630.

Yesterday morning, I was in front of my desktop computer, ready to go, when, at the stroke of 0700, the link to dinner reservations did not appear.  I checked back on this thread and found Mr. Moore's subsequent post that the booking time had been restored to 2000.  No big deal.

At 2000, again, at the computer, ready to go, and, aye, the link materialised.  But I guess a few hundred others were also ready to go, and that slowed everything 'way down.  My computer was suddenly sluggish, and when that happens, I always wind up clicking over and over and over.  That led to me overbooking for the same night, getting the wrong nights, and some other minor foul-ups that I didn't discover until the confirmation e-mails started streaming in.  All due to my impatience.

Yet, somehow, incredibly, when the dust settled, I wound up with dinner reservations for two-tops on the days we wanted, at the times we wanted.  And because I'm a belt-and-suspenders type of fellow, I've checked the site four times since, just to make sure.  Aye, they're still right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

Mine is a success story---despite myself.

A couple of weeks ago, I chanced on this thread and found Mr. Moore's announcement that the time that dinner reservations would open at 0700 EDT, vice 2000 EDT.  For our cruise, the date that booking opened was 27 August (yesterday).  I preferred the earlier time and set my alarm for 0630.

Yesterday morning, I was in front of my desktop computer, ready to go, when, at the stroke of 0700, the link to dinner reservations did not appear.  I checked back on this thread and found Mr. Moore's subsequent post that the booking time had been restored to 2000.  No big deal.

At 2000, again, at the computer, ready to go, and, aye, the link materialised.  But I guess a few hundred others were also ready to go, and that slowed everything 'way down.  My computer was suddenly sluggish, and when that happens, I always wind up clicking over and over and over.  That led to me overbooking for the same night, getting the wrong nights, and some other minor foul-ups that I didn't discover until the confirmation e-mails started streaming in.  All due to my impatience.

Yet, somehow, incredibly, when the dust settled, I wound up with dinner reservations for two-tops on the days we wanted, at the times we wanted.  And because I'm a belt-and-suspenders type of fellow, I've checked the site four times since, just to make sure.  Aye, they're still right.

As my dad would say, if you had a brain you'd be dangerous! 🤓

I get it. I've done the Disney 60-day Dash many times in the past. I feel your pain.

Glad you got what you wanted.

Oh my goodness! 
I have read regularly not to use up my dining reservations on the first night as there are plenty of tables available and you can book as soon as you walk on the ship. I did not mean that you cannot book.! We did. We had all the confirmation necessary as proof! I made reservations from my home at 1am, months and months before our trip. 
We arrived at 7.25pm. Not late. 
“just ask at embarkation” means exactly that. Again I have read many times that when you embark the ship, choose which restaurant you would like to eat in on the first night, make the booking. 
Hope that’s clear! 

7 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

Oh my goodness! 
I have read regularly not to use up my dining reservations on the first night as there are plenty of tables available and you can book as soon as you walk on the ship. I did not mean that you cannot book.! We did. We had all the confirmation necessary as proof! I made reservations from my home at 1am, months and months before our trip. 
We arrived at 7.25pm. Not late. 
“just ask at embarkation” means exactly that. Again I have read many times that when you embark the ship, choose which restaurant you would like to eat in on the first night, make the booking. 
Hope that’s clear! 

Then they owe you an apology.  I’d take your confirmation email to the dining reservation desk and explain what happened and ask for a redo. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:07 AM, Mike Moore said:

It's my pleasure to assist wherever I can. 🙂

Hello Mike this is off the current topic and should be in the Regent Air topic, but I hope you can help anyway. My TA just told me that Regent no longer contracts with Delta and their partners and to get flights on Delta from BCA to ATL I will have to pay the difference between Regent’s contract price and Delta’s published fair. Do you know if that is correct?

Thanks

I just did the same @CDR Benson but last night (well very early this morning) but what was worse, I was booking for another couple too so the pressure was on 😱.

We like to eat at 8 and wanted to book in the first week so we knew which restaurants we enjoyed in order to book again in week 2. Not many 8pm slots for 4 people so have managed one at 8 and two at 8:30. Then it was showing availability at 8 so cancelled 8:30 but the 8 booking was only for 2 people so back to 8:30 😂😂. I have the email confirmation and they are showing on both our accounts so 🤞🏻

11 hours ago, ernieb said:

Hello Mike this is off the current topic and should be in the Regent Air topic, but I hope you can help anyway. My TA just told me that Regent no longer contracts with Delta and their partners and to get flights on Delta from BCA to ATL I will have to pay the difference between Regent’s contract price and Delta’s published fair. Do you know if that is correct?

Thanks

That is not accurate as a whole, but might be for the particular cruise and corresponding flights you were looking for.

On 8/17/2023 at 6:37 AM, douginct said:

I am US East Coast - all that time it was midnight Eastern time, we never stayed up to book at midnight. Always got up in the morning (at 6 or 7 AM) and booked then. Had no issues - both excursions and dining.  Maybe a couple of our first choice dining times were taken, but there were plenty to choose from.

Same here - never an issue waiting until the morning.

• 5 weeks later...

My dining window opens tomorrow at 7PM CST, during which time we'll be at dinner with friends so I'll have to duck out for a few minutes to the rest room!  🤪

Any pro tips I need to know about RSSC dining booking? We prefer tables of 2, and know that they might already be taken because we're sailing steerage (F1 Superior Suite) on Grandeur and don't have a booking advantage. Does Compass Rose require reservations? I know Sette Mare doesn't take them. Any recommendations on when to do specialty (on sea days, after excursion-light port days, etc,) or do them just when we can fit them in? 

So many questions!

1 minute ago, GMIAC said:

My dining window opens tomorrow at 7PM CST, during which time we'll be at dinner with friends so I'll have to duck out for a few minutes to the rest room!  🤪

Any pro tips I need to know about RSSC dining booking? We prefer tables of 2, and know that they might already be taken because we're sailing steerage (F1 Superior Suite) on Grandeur and don't have a booking advantage. Does Compass Rose require reservations? I know Sette Mare doesn't take them. Any recommendations on when to do specialty (on sea days, after excursion-light port days, etc,) or do them just when we can fit them in? 

So many questions!

CR doesn't take reservations. When i book dining reservations i pick either sea days (the most popular) or days when we have shore excursions that end early in the day and have time to rest and recuperate before dinner.  We eat early but are happy to share so i look for any available times between 6:30 and 7.  If you are willing to share you will find it easier to book.   

Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2023 at 8:34 AM, CDR Benson said:

when the dust settled, I wound up with dinner reservations for two-tops on the days we wanted, at the times we wanted.

First time on Regent.  I made my dinner reservations 2-hours after it became available for a 25-night Amazon cruise in December.  I was disappointed that almost every sea day was fully booked by the time I got a chance to reserve.  With a cruise of this length and with so many sea days I thought availability would be better.

That aside....  you mentioned you got reservations for two-tops.  I didn't see anywhere during the reservation process where I could specify whether I wanted a shared or two-top table.  Did I miss something?  Do they even have shared tables in the specialty restaurants, and if so how do I request a two-top when reserving online? Thanks. 

21 minutes ago, mnocket said:

[Y]ou mentioned you got reservations for two-tops.  I didn't see anywhere during the reservation process where I could specify whether I wanted a shared or two-top table.  Did I miss something?  Do they even have shared tables in the specialty restaurants, and if so how do I request a two-top when reserving online? Thanks. 

After calling up the customisation function through which you make your specialty-restaurant reservations on line, near the top you'll see "Reservations are for:" with the names of the passengers beneath.  (In your case, it would be your name and those of whomever you're travelling with.)

Below the names is a single-line feature enabling you to add other guests to your reservation.  And below that is the line entry "Share Our Table?", with places to check "Yes" or "No".

For my wife and myself, I checked "No" for both reservations.  Since we're not sharing our table, I presume that means we're getting a two-top---or, at least, we've requested one.  

Hope this helps.

Edited by CDR Benson

I have no idea what/where I want to eat 48 hrs. from now, let alone months in advance. We recently completed the WC, & we made our reservations either same day or day before through our butler. We were never disappointed. We are big fans of Compass Rose, & always will find something there if all else were to fail. We are on the Grandeur Holiday cruise, & will apply our "system" there as well. It works for us, & has done for our 250+ nights on Regent so far. As they say, "don't sweat the small stuff"...

Edited by gb58
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

First time on Regent.  I made my dinner reservations 2-hours after it became available for a 25-night Amazon cruise in December.  I was disappointed that almost every sea day was fully booked by the time I got a chance to reserve.  With a cruise of this length and with so many sea days I thought availability would be better.

That aside....  you mentioned you got reservations for two-tops.  I didn't see anywhere during the reservation process where I could specify whether I wanted a shared or two-top table.  Did I miss something?  Do they even have shared tables in the specialty restaurants, and if so how do I request a two-top when reserving online? Thanks. 

Are you saying that all the time slots were taken, or that the time you preferred was not available?

I don't know if there is any specific reason why you wish to eat in a speciality restaurant on a sea day but on a 25 night cruise you will have no difficulty in getting, not just one reservation but you should have no problem in getting more than one, if wanted [while on board] that is, if you are not set on it being on a sea day or at a specific time. You just may need to be a little bit flexible, with your dates and timings.

Edited by seasickphil

Hello GMIC, I am a fellow member in your roll call.  Our reserve date was Sept 15, and I was sitting in front of my computer right at the hour....so was everybody else with the same cut off date.  I did not get all I wanted, but feel pretty satisfied with what I got.  Hey, luck of the draw.  Please be sure to be ready with a written out planned booking agenda, so you won't waste time thinking.  Plan A, B & C can work for you.  Now, remember that on some days (I think rotating) the specialty restaurants open for lunch. Since we enjoyed Chartreuse, we had several lunches there (our prior cruise was longer than this one).  You may find you can walk in at lunch time at the open specialty restaurant.  Hope you get what you prefer!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CDR Benson said:

After calling up the customisation function through which you make your specialty-restaurant reservations on line, near the top you'll see "Reservations are for:" with the names of the passengers beneath.  (In your case, it would be your name and those of whomever you're travelling with.)

Below the names is a single-line feature enabling you to add other guests to your reservation.  And below that is the line entry "Share Our Table?", with places to check "Yes" or "No".

For my wife and myself, I checked "No" for both reservations.  Since we're not sharing our table, I presume that means we're getting a two-top---or, at least, we've requested one.  

Hope this helps.

YES  that helps tremendously!  Thanks.

30 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Are you saying that all the time slots were taken, or that the time you preferred was not available?

I don't know if there is any specific reason why you wish to eat in a speciality restaurant on a sea day but on a 25 night cruise you will have no difficulty in getting, not just one reservation but you should have no problem in getting more than one, if wanted [while on board] that is, if you are not set on it being on a sea day or at a specific time. You just may need to be a little bit flexible, with your dates and timings.

My thinking was to book the specialty restaurants for sea days to make them special.  It seems sea days were a popular choice - at least on this cruise. Now we're just in a regular balcony, so we get last call for making dinner reservations and yet when I went to reserve online for Prime 7, every sea day for the first 2-weeks was not available at any time (except for boarding day).  For the remaining sea days, the only times available were 8:30 and 9:00pm.  Maybe earlier times are reserved for passengers in higher level cabins? At any rate as you suggested, on a 25-day cruise I suspect we will have no problem securing additional reservations once on board.  Reservations for almost all port days were freely available. 

5 hours ago, GMIAC said:

So many questions!

We're on the same cruise & also will be out for dinner & theater downtown tomorrow(so we also have a problem.) If you are interested in Prime 7 (or Chartreuse)the first night & can't get a 2 top, we would be pleased to join you . Hopefully between 6:15-8pm . If obtained, please email me at mpinsky@comcastdotnet so I don't duplicate reservations when we get a chance later that night. We will be silver on this cruise if that helps.

BTW Compass Rose don't take reservations.

Judy & Michael 

Edited by dabear

16 minutes ago, dabear said:

We're on the same cruise & also will be out for dinner & theater downtown tomorrow(so we also have a problem.) If you are interested in Prime 7 (or Chartreuse)the first night & can't get a 2 top, we would be pleased to join you . Hopefully between 6:15-8pm . If obtained, please email me at mpinsky@comcastdotnet so I don't duplicate reservations when we get a chance later that night.  Judy & Michael 

I'll see what I can get for the first night, and let you know! 

Enjoy your evening tomorrow. 

- George & Greg

1 hour ago, GMIAC said:

I'll see what I can get for the first night, and let you know! 

Enjoy your evening tomorrow. 

- George & Greg

You will need names and (I think) suite number Or reservation number to add people to your reservation. Don’t remember which, but I needed those when I booked restaurants for 2 parties.

1 hour ago, RELS said:

You will need names and (I think) suite number Or reservation number to add people to your reservation. Don’t remember which, but I needed those when I booked restaurants for 2 parties.

GMIAC: please email me & I will provide you with this information.