What do you think of this idea for additional Captain's Club points?

Stockjock

It is a loyalty for cruises.   The current point system is fine.   I can understand  now awarding more points for certain categories as many have reached the upper levels by sailing in inside cabins before the conversion.    This was possible when a point  was given for a cruise.  When the conversion to the current system took place 30 points were given for each point you had.  If someone had 25 cruises they were at least elite plus.  I think at the time you got a point per cruise 2 if in a concierge or above and 3 if the cruise was over a certain length.  You could have sailed in lower category and got 2 points if on a longer cruise.  It was nothing for people living near the port to take many 3 or 4 day cruises.  100 of those cruises and they would have been Zenith.  

I don’t think that those that do book the higher end categories are concerned about their Club status.   They will continue to book those categories and the benefits don’t mean much 

With so many passengers moving into the higher levels I am thinking that there are going to be some cuts in the benefits.    The Zenith are no longer given access to the retreat areas unless sailing in a suite.  

on one cruise I was on there were over 1800 passengers that were Elite or above.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

In MHO they have already devalued the CC program so much by offering Double Points, Bonus Points etc etc...That unless they create new levels their whole program is already over valued. 

Kinda like United Airlines Loyalty program.   In Silicon Value they usually don't allow early boarding for most level or else everyone would board at the same time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I know HAL does.

Many companies, including a number of airlines, are awarding points based on spend.

It seems to me that the more money one spends, the better it likely is for the cruise line, in this example.  So obviously, they want to encourage that.

In 2019, Delta Airlines made $9,100,000,000.00 in revenue via loyalty/credit cards and such.  American Airlines made $5,600,000,000.00 and United made $5,300,000,000.00.  These are eye-popping numbers.  I read somewhere that some make more from these programs than flying planes.

If RCCL/Celebrity was smart, they'd hop on this gravy train.  I'm not taking about a branded credit card w/a $250 OBC perk, but rather, trying to take it to the next level.  But, they'd have to incentivize the customer to accomplish that.  They'd certainly have to modify their loyalty program in a way that generates increased revenue for them, but doesn't turn off existing customers (too much).

https://thepointsguy.com/news/how-much-money-do-loyalty-programs-make-airlines/#

Edited by Stockjock
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I'm thinking they should offer Captain's Club points for spending on or off the ship, other than the booking itself.  Perhaps 10 to 20 Club Points per $1,000 spent.

Your thoughts?

I think you might see that only as part of a change where Captain’s Club points are awarded based on the amount spent on the cruise fare instead of nights and cabin category.

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I'm thinking they should offer Captain's Club points for spending on or off the ship, other than the booking itself.  Perhaps 10 to 20 Club Points per $1,000 spent.

Your thoughts?

Would that include $$ spent on Flights By Celebrity? 😀

16 hours ago, miched said:

It is a loyalty for cruises.   The current point system is fine.   I can understand  now awarding more points for certain categories as many have reached the upper levels by sailing in inside cabins before the conversion.    This was possible when a point  was given for a cruise.  When the conversion to the current system took place 30 points were given for each point you had.  If someone had 25 cruises they were at least elite plus.  I think at the time you got a point per cruise 2 if in a concierge or above and 3 if the cruise was over a certain length.  You could have sailed in lower category and got 2 points if on a longer cruise.  It was nothing for people living near the port to take many 3 or 4 day cruises.  100 of those cruises and they would have been Zenith.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We definitely benefitted from the conversion of points.  We cruise either inside on a port intensive cruise, or balcony if we have sea days.  After the conversion of points we were Elite and a couple of cruises took us to Elite+. I doubt if we would have reached this level entirely under the present system.

We will never reach Zenith, even if on board spending was included, so it would not be an issue for us, but I believe cruise lines make most of their profit from spending on the ship, so maybe they will move in that direction.