I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

3 hours ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

This.  Also, I don't go on a cruise to get the same experience one might get in a hotel.  

But are you willing to pay hundreds more for your cruise? You can cruise for a little over a hundred dollars a night including all your food, entertainment etc.  A decent hotel is well over a hundred a night including nothing but a room and maybe once a day servicing. A lot don't even service the rooms anymore.

Just now, nferr said:

But are you willing to pay hundreds more for your cruise? You can cruise for a little over a hundred dollars a night including all your food, entertainment etc.  A decent hotel is well over a hundred a night including nothing but a room and maybe once a day servicing. A lot don't even service the rooms anymore.

I know what I am about to say won't be popular, but it is my opinion and you know about those 🙂  I wish they would give me back the things they have cut and raise the rates.  Everything in my world has been affected by inflation.  My electric has gone up 55% in the last 13 months, I'm in PA and we're back to near $4 for a gallon of gas, etc. etc. etc.  

I am paying the higher rate - I like twice a day service.  I want fresh towels.  I keep my cabin extremely tidy and yes, I make my bed.  I honestly don't understand how people have such a problem with trash - mine could be emptied once for the whole cruise and it would be fine.  Regardless, I still want twice a day service. For me, it is one of those things that makes cruising "special".  I never have a reason to stay in a hotel for a whole week.  If I take a land trip, it is usually in Europe and I opt for B&B's.  My next cruise is in a few weeks.  I booked a suite, bought the UDP and the DBP.  I like to have whatever I want, whenever I want it.  If I have to pay more for that - fine.  I get it.  I will say I am sick of hearing about yet another cut.  Just raise the rates and be done with it.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, nferr said:

$100 per night??  I haven't seen that rate in quite some time

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

$100 per night??  I haven't seen that rate in quite some time

I booked Oasis for October for $975 total for two people with $150 OBC out of NY to Bahamas, seven day. Yes, inside room and booked about 10 months ago. And I'm Diamond so I also get four free drinks a day. So comes to $58 a day per person. The free drinks alone are worth that.

Just booked this month a nine night Bahamas cruise on MSC out of NY for January for $1020 with open bar and wifi included for $1020. And that's a solo price, so it's about $115 a day including the open bar and wifi. They still include twice a day cleaning but I'm not going to cry if they cut it considering the prices.

1 hour ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

I know what I am about to say won't be popular, but it is my opinion and you know about those 🙂  I wish they would give me back the things they have cut and raise the rates.  Everything in my world has been affected by inflation.  My electric has gone up 55% in the last 13 months, I'm in PA and we're back to near $4 for a gallon of gas, etc. etc. etc.  

I am paying the higher rate - I like twice a day service.  I want fresh towels.  I keep my cabin extremely tidy and yes, I make my bed.  I honestly don't understand how people have such a problem with trash - mine could be emptied once for the whole cruise and it would be fine.  Regardless, I still want twice a day service. For me, it is one of those things that makes cruising "special".  I never have a reason to stay in a hotel for a whole week.  If I take a land trip, it is usually in Europe and I opt for B&B's.  My next cruise is in a few weeks.  I booked a suite, bought the UDP and the DBP.  I like to have whatever I want, whenever I want it.  If I have to pay more for that - fine.  I get it.  I will say I am sick of hearing about yet another cut.  Just raise the rates and be done with it.  

Just cruise with a more exclusive line in that case. Most people want cheaper base cruise fares. Then they cry when services are cut. RCL is a mainstream line.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I don't understand why that is.   Not challenging the fact, since I don't know otherwise. but I don't understand.  That made sense in places that were paying people to stay home.   But, now?   What is the logic?  

I also wonder if the problem is that Royal, and some other places, just isn't paying enough?  

A lot of industries are having labor problems. I think the two biggest factors are that, first, a lot of people retired during covid. People who were close to retirement age(and a lot of people who weren't) either chose to retire, or were pushed out in cost cutting moves. This is especially true in trades and trucking, but I'm sure it's affected other industries as well. So this reduced the total labor pool. And because of this, and other factors, it led to a lot of companies increasing pay rates to poach labor from other companies. So companies on tighter margins, companies with less desirable jobs, and ones who were behind the curve on pay increases have had a harder time getting labor.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nferr said:

I booked Oasis for October for $975 total for two people with $150 OBC out of NY to Bahamas, seven day. Yes, inside room and booked about 10 months ago. And I'm Diamond so I also get four free drinks a day. So comes to $58 a day per person. The free drinks alone are worth that.

Just booked this month a nine night Bahamas cruise on MSC out of NY for January for $1020 with open bar and wifi included for $1020. And that's a solo price, so it's about $115 a day including the open bar and wifi. They still include twice a day cleaning but I'm not going to cry if they cut it considering the prices.

Try getting anything like that out of Australia - USA cruisers should get over here with your strong dollar compared to our peso of the Pacific . For example , we have  cruises  booked on RCCI and on Celebrity . As Elite and Diamond we do get the 4 drinks and the Elite 2 hours of well drinks and we have earned those benefits well and truly. Luckily , as the Premium Beverage Package sale price is $AU196 - now normally over $AU200 a day and Murano over $100 for example . Costs for specialty dining and beverage packages are similar for us on both lines so my days of paying for such are over . No wonder Aussies at home are now embracing local cruising with Princess and P&O who are more reasonably priced . I still see the value in the cruise fare but the add ons for us Aussies are a killer. 

On 8/11/2023 at 4:55 AM, Scottdalfonso said:

It's amazing to me how many people NEED towels replaced multiple times a day. Do people change towels after every shower at home? I know, I know- "I'm no at home...I'm on vacation"...didn't realize being on vacation meant you get to be extra wasteful and needy.  I don't WANT people in my room multiple times a day- come in, make my bed, empty my trash and see ya tomorrow! 

Where do you go to empty the trash cans?   (Serious question).  If I recall, trash bins near the elevators have a small opening on the side making it cumbersome to empty a trash can.  Places like WJ don't have large trash bins in public areas as tables are cleaned by staff. 

Thanks M

7 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Where do you go to empty the trash cans?   (Serious question).  If I recall, trash bins near the elevators have a small opening on the side making it cumbersome to empty a trash can.  Places like WJ don't have large trash bins in public areas as tables are cleaned by staff. 

Thanks M

We don't produce too much trash in the room, we don't have a small child so no diapers or anything like that, so them coming in and emptying it once a day works for us, otherwise I'm not sure where you would empty it yourself. 

9 hours ago, fsjosh said:

A lot of industries are having labor problems. I think the two biggest factors are that, first, a lot of people retired during covid. People who were close to retirement age(and a lot of people who weren't) either chose to retire, or were pushed out in cost cutting moves. This is especially true in trades and trucking, but I'm sure it's affected other industries as well. So this reduced the total labor pool. And because of this, and other factors, it led to a lot of companies increasing pay rates to poach labor from other companies. So companies on tighter margins, companies with less desirable jobs, and ones who were behind the curve on pay increases have had a harder time getting labor.  

I retired during Covid but it was entirely coincidental.  I put in my request in July 2019 for March 2020 and it was approved in early Aug 2019.  My last day of work was 27 Mar 2020.  No one else I worked with retired during it or right after that hadn't already planned to.  Several people had already planned to retire in 2020 and 2021 and did but Covid had nothing to do with it.  What I've seen is whining about having to actually go into work.  My DH and our two DS and one DDIL kept right on working for a couple of different reasons.  DDIL is an RN.  DH and both DS work in the Intel community which requires connectivity you cannot do at home.  What my DS who is an IT manager and interviews and hires his own staff found is that first, younger people want to bring their phones with them everywhere they go which they can't in those jobs and second, they want to sit at home and work.  These are very, very good paying positions with futures but they cannot be done in your pajamas from your house.  They're willing to either not work or make much less if they can't bring their phones in.  It's ridiculous.  They have phones  and computers  on their desks and can check email but can't upload anything and some just can't handle it.  Very poor work ethic in some.

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BND said:

I retired during Covid but it was entirely coincidental.  I put in my request in July 2019 for March 2020 and it was approved in early Aug 2019.  My last day of work was 27 Mar 2020.  No one else I worked with retired during it or right after that hadn't already planned to.  Several people had already planned to retire in 2020 and 2021 and did but Covid had nothing to do with it.  What I've seen is whining about having to actually go into work.  My DH and our two DS and one DDIL kept right on working for a couple of different reasons.  DDIL is an RN.  DH and both DS work in the Intel community which requires connectivity you cannot do at home.  What my DS who is an IT manager and interviews and hires his own staff found is that first, younger people want to bring their phones with them everywhere they go which they can't in those jobs and second, they want to sit at home and work.  These are very, very good paying positions with futures but they cannot be done in your pajamas from your house.  They're willing to either not work or make much less if they can't bring their phones in.  It's ridiculous.  They have phones  and computers  on their desks and can check email but can't upload anything and some just can't handle it.  Very poor work ethic in some.

AMEN !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

both my husband and I both work from home and would never accept a job that didn't have work from home. However, some people really don't like working from home and that is fine too. To say that people who are sitting at home working have very poor work ethic is just wild. Also, I work almost every day in whatever I want, and I work just as hard if not harder than those wearing suits in offices every day. Also, what employee doesn't want their phone with them at work? When I was in HS, I ALWAYS had my phone with me at work and that was 20 years ago. Some of it is just a safety thing. Just remember that your experience + your family's experiences with people working is a tiny percent of what is actually going on. 🙄 But you've already made up your mind with the "younger people" and "no one wants to work anymore" narrative. 

1 hour ago, BND said:

Very poor work ethic in some.

Not willing to work under the pay and conditions offered is not poor work ethic. It usually means the pay and work conditions suck. I suspect a lot of those who feel "no one wants to work anymore" is really someone who "no one wants to work for".

• Like 1

To quote @BND "Very poor work ethic in some." I believe that to mean "some" people, not all, so I'm giving him a break there. I, too, have seen that happen in "some" circumstances; please don't take offense, as I don't think it was meant to offend you hard working folks.😉

• Like 1

There is a difference in having your phone on you so family can reach you in case of emergency vs. walking around focused on  social media, like they are doing their employer a big favor just by their presence, which is what's going on more and more, sadly. Along with non-stop jibber-jabber, actually doing work maybe 25% of the time. 

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

We don't produce too much trash in the room, we don't have a small child so no diapers or anything like that, so them coming in and emptying it once a day works for us, otherwise I'm not sure where you would empty it yourself. 

It was suggested by a previous poster. 
m

19 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

There is a difference in having your phone on you so family can reach you in case of emergency vs. walking around focused on  social media, like they are doing their employer a big favor just by their presence, which is what's going on more and more, sadly. Along with non-stop jibber-jabber, actually doing work maybe 25% of the time. 

Don't you think an employer would would fire those who are working 25% of the time?

32 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

To quote @BND "Very poor work ethic in some." I believe that to mean "some" people, not all, so I'm giving him a break there. I, too, have seen that happen in "some" circumstances; please don't take offense, as I don't think it was meant to offend you hard working folks.😉

She, but yes I did say "SOME".  Reading comprehension for some is difficult as you can see.  As I also stated, my DS is hiring for IT positions where pay for someone with experience who can also obtain a security clearance is very good.  Normally in the $40 and up per hour rate.  We're not talking minimum wage jobs here. Full benefits and 401K matched contributions.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Everyone has a phone on their desk.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Not willing to work under the pay and conditions offered is not poor work ethic. It usually means the pay and work conditions suck. I suspect a lot of those who feel "no one wants to work anymore" is really someone who "no one wants to work for".

You have no idea what you are talking about.  So, $40/hour and up for experienced IT people (I'm talking a couple of years of experience) and help desk which requires basically no experience (pays at least $25/hour) is "poor conditions" LOL.  My son is very popular with both his employers and the people he supervises as he is not only their supervisor but also their co-worker.  

It's amazing what people pull out of posts.  They only see what they want to see.  There is a whole  generation of people where some think they are owed work from home, work less than full time, get multiple weeks of vacation and pats on the head for just existing.  There are also plenty who are the exact opposite, Thank God.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I tried to get you out of the hole but I think you just dug your hole a bit deeper.🙄 Cheers!🥂

Getting attacked because I made a comment about what my son has encountered in trying to hire people this last year is interesting.  Actually, the most conscientioius workers he has hired have all been older than him.  He's 37 and at least 3 of the 10 or so people he's hired recently are over 45 and one is over 60.  

RedIguana was making assumptions based on his own life I would assume.  Too bad.  

• Like 1