Posted on Another Site...Ruby Princess Hits Dock in SF

Jaymuxman

Nothing but speculation on my part but assuming it does sail today (18 to 24 hours late), my guess is they will skip Sunday's scheduled port call in Sitka (can't get there until Monday at this point) and then do the rest of the cruise as scheduled starting with Glacier Bay on Monday. That assumes that the temporary repair does not restrict the speed although once in Alaska, most of the distances to be covered do not require top speed until they start the return to San Francisco.

1 hour ago, NavArch64 said:

Normally, only the Captain would be operating the propeller/stern thruster/bow thruster controls on the console .... in this case on the port bridge wing while approaching the berth on the port side. Perhaps the Staff Captain (or other Senior Navigation Officer) could operate the controls at the Captain's discretion, but not likely in this Pier 27 SF docking scenario. As I understand normal bridge procedures, the Pilot would never touch the controls, only give advice to the Captain. The Pilot may be communicating instructions to the tug Captains however.

Have you actually read the law regarding pilotage in San Francisco Bay?  Have you read the "Pilot-Master Exchange Card" for San Francisco Bay ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sfpd3000 said:

I’m being called in. USCG is inspecting the repair work.  If hot welding is needed, departure will be delayed another 24 hours.

is that in itself good or bad news for the passengers onboard now?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Footage at the time of the incident.

Bar pilot is under investigation.

"Bar pilot is under investigation " is kind of misleading. It's standard policy to review everyone's conduct on the bridge prior and during the incident, and test the pilot for drugs/alcohol.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If conditions were perceived to be "normal", the Bridge Team would be expected to consist of the Captain (Master), Staff Captain, Senior Watch Officer, Junior Watch Officer, Quartermaster, Lookout and SF Bar Pilot. All members of the Bridge Team would be expected to participate actively in the dialogue necessary to achieve safe maneuvering to the berth. The Captain (Master), Staff Captain and SF Bar Pilot would be at the center of such dialogue. Again, the USCG can be expected to issue a report on the incident at some future time.

• Like 2

10 am update from Captain:  USCG is on board currently and inspecting the repair work.  Still hope to leave today for Alaska.  No passengers allowed off the ship.  And, as stated previously, there will be compensation following a review of the new itinerary.  Sorry to not have any more information and will update us further at noon.

Activity staff had added more events and activities for today—trivia, movies, craft projects, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

10 am update from Captain:  USCG is on board currently and inspecting the repair work.  Still hope to leave today for Alaska.  No passengers allowed off the ship.  And, as stated previously, there will be compensation following a review of the new itinerary.  Sorry to not have any more information and will update us further at noon.

Activity staff had added more events and activities for today—trivia, movies, craft projects, etc.

And plenty of wine, I hope!  🍷

Thank you for your updates.

2 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

I only caught part of what the captain said.  Difficult to hear from the port

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

"Bar pilot is under investigation " is kind of misleading. It's standard policy to review everyone's conduct on the bridge prior and during the incident, and test the pilot for drugs/alcohol.   

Reiterating the news report.  News outlets don't have access to the Captain and Princess is keeping tight lipped.  Totally understand your POV.  

27 minutes ago, sfpd3000 said:

Well two of your fellow passengers just got off.  Headed to the airport.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Seems like every cruise I'm on, some end up disembarking at the very first cruise port. I hope that they have insurance.