My first Crossing. A first timer’s perspective.

steve4031

The QM2 is moving quite a bit more than earlier in the crossing.  Of course after staggering from our cabin to the elevator someone was on the elevator saying, “Oh this is smooth for me.”   We are not experiencing sea sickness.  

It’s kind of like walking on a fast moving train in the United States.  A side to side sway that’s kind of predictable.  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

I found my lunch spot.  The pub. The fish and chips are perfect.  The captain there would be some movement.  I think he said pitch. We are on deck six near the back.  It’s a relaxing, gentle sway.  Whatever it’s called.  The sea condition is slight seas.  So apparently no big deal. 

Try Chicken Tikki Masala at the Pub too. Excellent. 

• Thanks 1

The chairs in the dining room are a bit tight for my rear end which should have a wide load sign on it.  I discovered at breakfast that dome chairs don’t have arms.  I asked at dinner and my chair with arms was swapped out for a chair with no arms.  I no longer need a shoe horn and grease to sit down and get up.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, steve4031 said:

I found my lunch spot.  The pub. The fish and chips are perfect.  The captain there would be some movement.  I think he said pitch. We are on deck six near the back.  It’s a relaxing, gentle sway.  Whatever it’s called.  The sea condition is slight seas.  So apparently no big deal. 

I completely agree with you about the fish and chips but EVERYTHING in the Golden Lion Pub is excellent. Try them all. 
Also agree with you about the ice cream in the MDR. If they have it, the Rum Raisin is over the top good. 
Jack

• Like 1

Steve, I hear you- and I agree- those chairs a bit tight for my ample rear end as well. LOL. One get´s used to it- and can avoid the embarassing sight of me leaving Britannia with the chair still attached to my behind. LOL.

Well,  those chairs have their best years behind them anyway- and I supoose they will either be upholsered or changed in the not distant future.

Same goes for the chairs in the QR.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Haha 1

The my Voyage website has been inactive for two days.  Really doesn’t make sense.  

I’ve found that the omelette is the best breakfast food.  I tried the English bacon.  It was good.  

The temperature is 58.  Seas calm. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

The my Voyage website has been inactive for two days.  Really doesn’t make sense.  

I’ve found that the omelette is the best breakfast food.  I tried the English bacon.  It was good.  

I agree that the omelettes are good. Also consider the avocado toast, it is one of my favorites.

Also have you had a chance to visit the lookout on 11? Worth your while if you haven’t yet.

40 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Devilled kidneys. Yum.

13 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I completely agree with you about the fish and chips but EVERYTHING in the Golden Lion Pub is excellent. Try them all. 
Also agree with you about the ice cream in the MDR. If they have it, the Rum Raisin is over the top good. 
Jack

Agree with the ice cream also.

I usually go for one of the various other desserts but those 3 scops after ever dinner won out most nights.

• Like 1

Tuesday was pretty much a day for resting.  A long nap in the morning and then lunch in the pub.  We chatted with a couple in the pub and the rested in the cabin again.  

This Dinner was the first miss imho.  I ordered something that had the word steak in it.  It was ham with eggs and mashed potatoes. The eggs were okay.  I not a ham person.  I wasn’t that hungry so no big deal.  The ice cream was the highlight.  

Duo Panache in the ballroom was the second miss.  I don’t know who created the playlist.  They must have googled 80 songs that sucked.  

I would have preferred a bit more funk.  Rick James or Grace Jones.  

Dinner sounds like gammon, your wait staff will help if you're not sure what something is.

Mr HH wasn't that impressed with his a few weeks ago either and he normally likes it.

I hope today's is better.

Yes. It was gammon.  I knew I would not like the other choices so I tried that one.  I asked about the alternative selection and learned that was only available in the club dining room. 

The breakfast service was very slow.  Almost two hours which caused us to miss a 9:15 event.  I did complain. The issue appears to be a complete lack of urgency in the part of the waiter. He said sorry and shuffled around and still no food.  Eventually i was able to speak with a manager.  His main objective seemed to interrupt whenever I spoke or GF spoke.  Each time I told him he was interrupting.  He told us we should have told the waiter we were in a hurry.  I explained it was not our job to tell the waiter to do his.  He got frustrated and left.  We had allowed an hour to eat.  

The British people at are table stated they appreciated us speaking up.  I know it is the British way to not fuss.  And I really preferred not to.  But we sat for an hour after our orders were put in.  So I let them know.  

Our cabin steward has done a great job.  It looks like he is overworked.  I’ve given him an extra 20 to show appreciation.  Then today he provided two laundry bags and forms without asking.  We both submitted laundry and he took care of that, earning another 20.  

We out both planning on a Power Nap in the cabin this afternoon.  

2 hours ago, steve4031 said:

Yes. It was gammon.  I knew I would not like the other choices so I tried that one.  I asked about the alternative selection and learned that was only available in the club dining room. 

Did you ask about 'always available'  options in the Britannia? Our waiter on the first night confirmed my other half could select from

sirloin, salmon or chicken breast. He went for the chicken with mashed potato:

IMG_20230708_102801_472.thumb.jpg.5db6a1abcd4429255359997ca8ea289d.jpg

We have noticed, on the few times we tried Britannia for breakfast, that service was 'not rushed' - even when we wanted it to be.

On recent trips, we tended to split breakfasts about 50/50 between room service and Kings Court. KC has a nice omelet station, and waiters filling coffee cups 🙂

• Like 2

I did ask about always available and was told only in the Britannia club section.  

My gf and I complained about the service in the dining room at breakfast to another manager outside dining room.   At dinner shortly after we were seated our waiter apologized for the morning experience.  Then another instructed us to look for him in the morning.  A third came by and told us the cook and the waiter got a talking to.  I was surprised because my understanding is that Cunard is rather unresponsive to complaints.  

We submitted two laundry bags this morning with no difficulty.  

Dinner was delicious.  

I really am enjoying my first Cunard experience.  

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

I did ask about always available and was told only in the Britannia club section.

How strange. My other half had grilled  chicken breast again tonight for Gala night in Britannia.

I am at breakfast this morning and sitting next to a veteran Cunarder.  She explained that Cunard introduced an ordering system where the waiter now use tablets to take our orders.  This has been online for two weeks and is largely responsible for the slower times at breakfast because there are so many options for taking orders.  There appears to be a delay on the kitchen end because it takes awhile for the food to come out.  

• Like 1

Just a couple observations. We are currently onboard and most nights my husband orders a sirloin steak and baked potato in Britannia. It isn't just for Club.

Also I mentioned the other morning that breakfast seemed to be taking unusually long. This morning, after watching our waiter hunt down each item on his hand held tablet, he confirmed that today is the 2nd day they have had to use the tablets at breakfast. If I understood him correctly, the tablets have been in use at dinner for 6 days. I would assume that is slowing things a bit as they get more familiar with them.

• Like 2

This is my first cruise with 6 sea days in a row and no ports.  I did a lot of reading and napping during the day.  We enjoyed our evenings in the queens ballroom.  Lunch at the pub is always a highlight.  In summary, the idea of 6 days at sea should not dissuade one from trying Cunard.  You will find something to do if you want, or you can do your thing.  The ship did not seem overcrowded.  I could always find a seat.  

The dress code is a major concern for most.  In this cruise many men wore tuxedos or suits.  I purchased a tuxedo because I planned to use it for other occasions.  The smart dress evenings with collard shirts were easy for me because that’s my work attire.  I’m a teacher.  The terminology of formal and smart can be off putting if you don’t understand them.  But a little research and it was no problem for me.  

IMHO the economics of a crossing makes sense.  The cost of one business class ticket to Europe is 8,000.  For 4,000 two can go in a balcony cabin.  With 7 days of meals and entertainment included. Jet lag going eastward becomes a non issue with the gradual process of adding an hour each day as you go east.  

The major argument against a crossing is the amount of time needed.  To do it both ways adds two weeks to a trip.  You have to send a minimum of 2 weeks in Europe while you wait for the ship to return so you can take it back.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steve4031 said:

This is my first cruise with 6 sea days in a row and no ports.  I did a lot of reading and napping during the day.  We enjoyed our evenings in the queens ballroom.  Lunch at the pub is always a highlight.  In summary, the idea of 6 days at sea should not dissuade one from trying Cunard.  You will find something to do if you want, or you can do your thing.  The ship did not seem overcrowded.  I could always find a seat.  

The dress code is a major concern for most.  In this cruise many men wore tuxedos or suits.  I purchased a tuxedo because I planned to use it for other occasions.  The smart dress evenings with collard shirts were easy for me because that’s my work attire.  I’m a teacher.  The terminology of formal and smart can be off putting if you don’t understand them.  But a little research and it was no problem for me.  

IMHO the economics of a crossing makes sense.  The cost of one business class ticket to Europe is 8,000.  For 4,000 two can go in a balcony cabin.  With 7 days of meals and entertainment included. Jet lag going eastward becomes a non issue with the gradual process of adding an hour each day as you go east.  

The major argument against a crossing is the amount of time needed.  To do it both ways adds two weeks to a trip.  You have to send a minimum of 2 weeks in Europe while you wait for the ship to return so you can take it back.  

Steve4031,

In 4 short paragraphs and without even completing your first crossing I think you have provided a ton of valuable and thoughtful information for anyone considering their first Crossing on the QM2. 

Thanks

Jack

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2