Need questions answered before I book Alaska cruise/land tour

dizgal64

I think this is the right place to ask these questions since it’s specific to Princess. 

I need help. I’m so confused. SIL texted me last week and said hey, how about Alaska?! lol All I know is that we want to go next year, maybe May or June (so I need to get this going), out of the ships that go I think we want Royal Princess(a little bigger and newer, my SIL and BIL have only been on one cruise years ago on the infamous “Big Red Boat”. I want them to be impressed and love cruising!). I also know we want to cruise first, then land portion. So 7 night cruise, 3 or 4 land part, ending in Fairbanks. That’s about it. 
When I go on Princess website I get some that go to McKinley for two nights. Some that are one night there, one night Denali. Some say train ride to your hotel. Some are…idk, are they an excursion? Can’t I pick that part? I mean pick which hotel? Are meals included on the land part? Is it better to be closer to McKinley? Or to Denali? I have planned so many vacations, even helped others with their planning, people have told me to become an agent. Ha! Alaska has proved them all wrong! 😄

could you guys please help me out? This is probably the only time we will get there. My hubby has been there before and I know I’ll love it. It’s just there are 30 other places on my list to go before I’d go back and I’m not young! 😄

Tell me what you did? Would you change anything? Regret not doing something? 
thank you so much!

• Like 1

Also would do land tour first then cruise.  More relaxing that way. Would also do two days in Denali in order to take the Tundra Wilderness tour which goes further into Denali Park.  Agreed with getting a TA to help with the details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Also would do land tour first then cruise.  More relaxing that way. Would also do two days in Denali in order to take the Tundra Wilderness tour which goes further into Denali Park.  Agreed with getting a TA to help with the details.

Not sure why but it seems the cruise first ones are cheaper.

11 minutes ago, Amtrack Springfield said:

You need a TA that is an expert on Alaska. They can help you plan out your trip.

I find it hard to believe on a cruise planning board that there aren’t tons of people who have planned their own trips. No? 🤷‍♀️

another question, why do some of the itineraries say “explore on your own”? What does that mean? 

For the cruise portion, the southbound cruises on the Royal Princess stops in Icy Straight Point, skipping Skagway.  Northbound on the Royal Princess stop in Skagway.  Would do the Northbound cruise from Vancouver and land afterwards because of this. 

Icy Straight Point is a tourist trap with overpriced stores and restaurants.  With the exception of the overpriced zipline, all of the excursions can be experiences elsewhere in Alaska.  Would go to Skagway over Icy Straight Point any day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, dizgal64 said:

another question, why do some of the itineraries say “explore on your own”? What does that mean? 

A few answers to your questions, then one, "If I could do it all over again, I would..."

First, download the Princess brochure here:

https://www.princess.com/brochures/

The cruise first itineraries are cheaper because they are less desirable. You get tired from the bus and train travel and we feel it's better to cruise last, but up to you.

In Anchorage, Princess contracts with Captain Cook Hotel, that's where the bus will either pick you up or drop you off. It's included in the packages.

The wilderness lodges, McKinley and Denali, are owned by Princess. There's no going down the street to another hotel, at least at the time we were there.

You will see in the brochure there are several levels of Cruisetours offered. On Your Own is nice if you know what you're doing or the active adventurous type; no meals, no excursions. More inclusive is the Explorer package, which includes a couple tours at the lodges, but no meals. We did that to our regret.

If this will be your only trip to Alaska, and my do-over wish, is to go for the Connoisseur package. This includes most meals on the land portion and tours. I want to emphasize that otherwise, food is very expensive in Alaska and you plan to be on land for days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I would do more than 3-4 days on land. Distances are great in Alaska.

I would also pick a smaller ship than Royal Princess. The smaller ships have more outdoor viewing spaces and have better routes in Alaska (more inside passage).

There is a board on CC dedicated to Alaskan cruising.

Meals can be included for a higher amount (meal package or specific tours such as Connoisseur tours.)

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

For the cruise portion, the southbound cruises on the Royal Princess stops in Icy Straight Point, skipping Skagway.  Northbound on the Royal Princess stop in Skagway.  Would do the Northbound cruise from Vancouver and land afterwards because of this. 

Icy Straight Point is a tourist trap with overpriced stores and restaurants.  With the exception of the overpriced zipline, all of the excursions can be experiences elsewhere in Alaska.  Would go to Skagway over Icy Straight Point any day.

Now THAT is some really important info. Thank you! Yes we definitely want to do northbound 

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

A few answers to your questions, then one, "If I could do it all over again, I would..."

First, download the Princess brochure here:

https://www.princess.com/brochures/

The cruise first itineraries are cheaper because they are less desirable. You get tired from the bus and train travel and we feel it's better to cruise last, but up to you.

In Anchorage, Princess contracts with Captain Cook Hotel, that's where the bus will either pick you up or drop you off. It's included in the packages.

The wilderness lodges, McKinley and Denali, are owned by Princess. There's no going down the street to another hotel, at least at the time we were there.

You will see in the brochure there are several levels of Cruisetours offered. On Your Own is nice if you know what you're doing or the active adventurous type; no meals, no excursions. More inclusive is the Explorer package, which includes a couple tours at the lodges, but no meals. We did that to our regret.

If this will be your only trip to Alaska, and my do-over wish, is to go for the Connoisseur package. This includes most meals on the land portion and tours. I want to emphasize that otherwise, food is very expensive in Alaska and you plan to be on land for days.

Thank you for the brochure! I appreciate that. 
mom not sure we’d be able to do that Connoisseur package because the couple we are traveling with would probably not be able to pay the extra. And we are a skip breakfast, small lunch, regular dinner kind of people so we might look at the different packages for the land part. But I can definitely see why one would like that package. Thank you. 🙂

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I would do more than 3-4 days on land. Distances are great in Alaska.

I would also pick a smaller ship than Royal Princess. The smaller ships have more outdoor viewing spaces and have better routes in Alaska (more inside passage).

There is a board on CC dedicated to Alaskan cruising.

Meals can be included for a higher amount (meal package or specific tours such as Connoisseur tours.)

Oh I was on another thread about Alaska ships and someone said they wouldn’t pick a royal ship because no inside passage. But Royal does do inside passage. But maybe they mean what you said….MORE inside passage. For instance looking at the itinerary map it has a dotted line out of Vancouver…is that what that means? It’s not there from the beginning?

We did Explorer tour.  We debated Connoisseur but figured we could eat for less money and we were right.  I know people love the Connoisseur but don't worry about the Explorer tours.  As someone said above, the On Your Own tours do not include any excursions where the Explorer one's have some.  When you are checking out how long to go and where keep in mind if only one night at a lodge that means you do not have a full day there but partial days.  Read up or ask questions about the different locations so you can decide which one's have the excursions you would want.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dizgal64 said:

Not sure why but it seems the cruise first ones are cheaper.

Did the cruise first and was exhausted on the flight home from the land tour as there is so much to do.  Land first is more expensive as it is the preferred way by many.

As always it is your choice.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1

First, I disagree with those who say let a TA guide your trip. That will only work if you can find a TA who thinks like you do. I'm sure some are very talented, but I have yet to find one. Not that I've looked THAT hard. I'm a DIYer and LOVE the research. Know thyself! And know that's where my advice is coming from.:) Instead I suggest you get on over to the Alaska forum. I learned a TON there before our first cruise. Scroll down to Ports, if you have yet to find it.

Next, some general info. You need to carefully read the details of the cruises you're considering on the Princess website. All the info is there. You are looking at cruise tours. When they talk about the train or the coach (bus), that is just transportation to your next stop. It's not an excursion or tour. You will see some scenery on the way, of course. For some, the train (Alaska Railroad) is a must-do. There are some sections that are more scenic than others. For example, Anchorage to Whittier and Talkeetna (McKinley Lodge) to Denali. Between Anchorage and Talkeetna, not so scenic.

Another general tip, pay attention to how many nights you are at any particular lodge. You want at least 2 nights if you plan to enjoy that area. The day you arrive there will be only a few hours left because it takes so long to get there on the bus or train. Alaska is huge! Distances are far! So especially Denali, if you're going, get at least 2 nights!

Another tip: Look at a map. Google Maps is my friend whenever I'm trip planning! It shows the train track. It shows the roads. You can look at satellite views.

I love planning Alaska trips. It was our first cruise (with land tour) and we are about to go back for our third time. Can't wait!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did the 17-day Connoisseur tour & we're doing it again next year.  That said, 2 nights at 5 Lodges was almost a rush since we had an excursion on the full-day at all the lodges.  Like someone said earlier Alaska is big and some of the lodges are quite far apart.  The motorcoaches do stop about every 90ish minute for a washroom break and a few scheduled stops for sightseeing along the way.  Not much time for excursions on travel days, they are an event by themselves.  This is why I wish Princess would do 3-days at the lodges and why we did, and will do, the land first.  The cruise is more relaxing.  I'm not one to need/want a vacation after my vacation. IMHO

23 minutes ago, dizgal64 said:

Oh I was on another thread about Alaska ships and someone said they wouldn’t pick a royal ship because no inside passage. But Royal does do inside passage. But maybe they mean what you said….MORE inside passage. For instance looking at the itinerary map it has a dotted line out of Vancouver…is that what that means? It’s not there from the beginning?

Royal class ship is too large to sail close (east) of Vancouver Island. It has to go out and sail outside of Vancouver Island (less scenic).

Also - the Royal Class ship doesn't have a promenade deck for viewing. Just less outdoor viewing areas. It would be my last choice for Alaska.

Yes the dotted line:

map.jpg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, dizgal64 said:

Looking at the Inside Passage (which is over 600 miles long) – there is a difference in the route these big cruise ships take.  For me, the “Inside Passage” going south from the southern tip of Alaska uses the Grenville Channel.  The Grenville Channel is possibly the most dramatic part of the Inside Passage.  Large cruise ships (Royal Class) do not take this route. The channel narrows to about quarter-mile at mile 518.  Just beautiful!!  The Northern Canyons is especially dramatic 100 mile stretch of the Inside Passage which begins at Boat Bluff Lighthouse.  The almost 90-degree turn is too sharp for large cruise ships like the Majestic so they use a modify route.  Once you approach the Queen Charlotte Sound large ships (Majestic, Discovery, Royal) traverse west of Vancouver Island and smaller ships (Emerald, Grand, Sapphire) enter the Queen Charlotte Strait then the Johnstone Strait with very beautiful scenery as you head toward Seattle or Vancouver.  Farther south at Seymour Narrows – all ship traffic along the Inside Passage must pass through this narrow gorge.  There are swift tidal currents in this area.  Again, very beautiful!  From here you enter Georgia Strait which has more open water to navigate.  Vancouver Island will be on the starboard side. 

If I remember correctly, the problem with these very large Princess ships (Royal Class) is their rudder/propeller configuration.  So what might set the Royal Princess class ships apart from other megaships?  They use standard propulsion: propellers and rudders.  Azipod propulsion (used by Norwegian, Royal Caribbean) performs better at low speeds when big ships need to maneuver in tight spots.  The Azipods can rotate 360 degrees to give you thrust in any direction.

Plus, the fact that Princess Royal class ships (Majestic, Discovery, Regal, Royal) have somewhere around 3.1 acres of sail area (the amount of surface exposed to a wind blowing on the side of the vessel), and the Southeast Alaska Pilots Association were concerned about getting cruise ships through narrow parts of the Inside Passage. Also, the Provincial Government of British Columbia -- made the decision that they would not be allowed (Princess Royal class ships) to transit Seymour Narrows, which meant that ships had to sail west of Vancouver Island.  Princess Cruise Line has had on and off discussions with the BC Government to lift any restrictions.      

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

We've cruised Alaska 3 times and done a seven week camping trip to Fairbanks and back home as well. Our first ever cruise was a 10 day round trip from San Francisco on Sea Princess - which is no longer part of the fleet. It got me hooked on cruising. When we decided to go back we wanted to do a land tour so I researched the options.

The thing that really helped me decide was an old thread by @caribill. That thread is located HERE. Take a look and see for yourself. You only need to read the first part of it as I think it got a bit long. This helped me decide we wanted to do a Connoisseur Cruise Tour. We booked a 13 day (which includes the 7 day southbound cruise after the land portion) and absolutely loved it. When we decided to go again we booked a 15 day Connoisseur Cruise Tour and it was excellent. We were both very happy with the land portions of both tours.

The first one we had a room at the Princess Fairbanks Lodge to start out. They served us a really excellent dinner and a great breakfast the next morning before we headed out for two excursions there. Then we had another great breakfast the next morning before heading out for a couple of nights at the Princess Denali Wilderness Lodge with more excursions. (The Tundra Wilderness Tour was great.) Then we had two nights at Princess McKinley Wilderness Lodge.

The second Connoisseur Cruise Tour started in the same place and we had time at the Denali Lodge but skipped the McKinley lodge. Instead we went to the Princess Copper River Wilderness Lodge and to the Princess Kenai Wilderness Lodge. We had some truly excellent excursions and, at Copper River Lodge, met up with a couple of Princess employees (young men - at least young to us) who had sailed with a group of other Princess employees on a 28 day Hawaii & South Pacific cruise we had taken previously.

Both of those Connoisseur Cruise Tour trips were amazing and almost all of the meals were provided as well as transportation for our entire tour group. If you can afford the extra for the Connoisseur version I highly recommend checking it out - especially if this will be your one and done Alaska cruise tour. Like others above, I recommend doing the land portion first so you have time to relax and wind down on the ship heading home. Don't book anything that doesn't hit Glacier Bay during the cruise portion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree completely with the posters who suggest avoiding the larger Royal class ships. I’d pick any other ship especially on a northbound itinerary where you will be traveling through the area near Vancouver Island in daylight.

The negative to doing the land portion first is that you end the trip tired from travel and the daily changing of hotels and face the longer flight home from Fairbanks. My preference would always be land first and I would stay more than just a few days if time and money permit.

For me, Glacier Bay and Denali National Park would be the priorities. 

I wouldn’t want a meal package, I prefer flexibility. The included options wouldn’t always be my choice. 

I would try to travel by train rather than by bus as much as possible if that choice is available.

Even though you are booking a Cruisetour package you might find some useful information on the sites for Princess Lodges and Independent Rail Tours

https://www.princesslodges.com/

• Thanks 1

When we were at the McKinley lodge we found out that the mountain rarely comes out to play. There were people in our tour group who were there for the FIFTH time and had never seen the mountain. Most of the staff in the lodge had never really seen the mountain. If you asked at the front desk they would call your room if the mountain came out from behind the clouds but we didn't realize you had to renew that request every day. D'Oh! The day we were leaving we hadn't renewed the request so, when the mountain actually showed itself, nobody called. By the time we had packed our bags - including our camera - and gone outside we had no idea the mountain WAS OUT! I only had my phone camera and it wasn't a snazzy phone but here is are a couple of pictures of Denali (formerly stupidly named Mount McKinley but later reverted to the traditional name of Denali) that I took on the day of our departure.

Denali - Chris - Small.jpg

Denali - Full Glory - Smaller.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, patrickmoran said:

Two must haves:

1. the cruise MUST go to Glacier Bay; and

2. land portion must have 2 days in Denali.

The rest is just noise.

That’s what I’m thinking too. 

ok you all have been awesome giving me so much information. Proves this is the place to ask questions. I’m understanding more now and that is all thanks to you all! So thank you.