Passport required?

ranchette

18 minutes ago, ranchette said:

My friend is going on the Carnival venezia and has an expired passport can she get on with an enhanced drivers license and birth certificate?

What state is she from?  Are you sure it is an enhanced license, not  RealID license?  Does she know the difference?  EM

• Like 1

Domestic Cruises

For cruises that begin and end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the WHTI-compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required.

• U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • State Enhanced Driver's License
  • Certificate of U.S. Naturalization
  • Native American Indians

For cruises that visit Greenland, all guests are required to carry a passport with validity of at least 6 months after the last day of the cruise.

Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate  issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo identification. If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required. Guests who have committed or been convicted of a crime may not be allowed into Canada - for more information, click here.

6 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

What state is she from?  Are you sure it is an enhanced license, not  RealID license?  Does she know the difference?  EM

It doesn't have to be enhanced or Real does it? Can't it still be a regular state issued license and birth certificate at this time?

22 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

She is from NY and yes it s san enhanced drivers license

38 minutes ago, canes20 said:

It doesn't have to be enhanced or Real does it? Can't it still be a regular state issued license and birth certificate at this time?

Not for much longer.

Anybody know when the cruises and flights start ONLY taking the new IDs?

16 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Not for much longer.

For flights it has now been pushed back yet again to May 7th, 2025. I do not believe the cruises ever need real ID to board unless the cruiselines decide to do it on their own.

Edited by n6uqqq

19 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Not for much longer.

Real ID has been postponed until May 2025. Given past history I would not bet on it. As for cruises a  Real ID has never been stipulated as a future requirement. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canes20 said:

Just bring the drivers license.  They have to exit the ship in a different line at the end

7 hours ago, FastShip24 said:

Just bring the drivers license.  They have to exit the ship in a different line at the end

They might have to go through a different line at Customs (it depends on the port) but everyone exits the ship in the same line 😉.

10 hours ago, FastShip24 said:

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They might have to go through a different line at Customs (it depends on the port) but everyone exits the ship in the same line 😉.

I'm pretty sure they meant a different line to clear customs in the terminal, not disembarking the ship... I remember seeing a line a mile long for people traveling without a passport... 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I'm pretty sure they meant a different line to clear customs in the terminal, not disembarking the ship... I remember seeing a line a mile long for people traveling without a passport... 

I know, hence the 😉. And whether or not there is a different line depends on the port, some ports have only one line, some ports have multiple lines. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bguppies said:

Not for much longer.

All that is needed for closed loop cruises is a valid government issued photo ID, local, state or federal. REAL ID is not needed.

56 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I know, hence the 😉. And whether or not there is a different line depends on the port, some ports have only one line, some ports have multiple lines. 

Canaveral has this setup.  One line for passports and one for everyone else.   Once we were off the ship it took longer to walk through ropes that were setup than to actually get scanned and out of the terminal.  The line for those without passports was at least 30 minutes long, possibly more.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, iria64 said:

Canaveral has this setup.  One line for passports and one for everyone else.   Once we were off the ship it took longer to walk through ropes that were setup than to actually get scanned and out of the terminal.  The line for those without passports was at least 30 minutes long, possibly more.

I've cleared from cruises with and without passports, the time for both (i.e. in front of the agent) was relatively the same. There might be many people in the line but it moves quickly in my experience. In New Orleans a couple months ago DW and I went through the passport line and our travel companions went through the non-passport line. We all arrived at the other side at the same time. (And I found it interesting that holders of passport cards went through the passport line and those with Enhanced Licenses went through the other. Weird because the EDL functions exactly the same as a passport card, down to having a machine readable chip, but it is what it is.) 

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've cleared from cruises with and without passports, the time for both (i.e. in front of the agent) was relatively the same. There might be many people in the line but it moves quickly in my experience. In New Orleans a couple months ago DW and I went through the passport line and our travel companions went through the non-passport line. We all arrived at the other side at the same time. (And I found it interesting that holders of passport cards went through the passport line and those with Enhanced Licenses went through the other. Weird because the EDL functions exactly the same as a passport card, down to having a machine readable chip, but it is what it is.) 

It may matter on what time you get off the ship.  For us, debarkation started shortly after 8.  We got off the ship shortly after 8:30.  The passport line was basically walk up while the other had well over 100 people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iria64 said:

Last week in port canaveral just as we got up to the scanners the system went down. They just proceeded to look at your passport and then you and we were free to go. Still no holdup

21 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Does the type of driver's license matter if the person has a birth certificate? 

3 hours ago, iria64 said:

It may matter on what time you get off the ship.  For us, debarkation started shortly after 8.  We got off the ship shortly after 8:30.  The passport line was basically walk up while the other had well over 100 people.

That is true.

20 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They might have to go through a different line at Customs (it depends on the port) but everyone exits the ship in the same line 😉

I just got off the Panorama. Those with passports exited one side. Non passport the other. Your response is unnecessary 

6 hours ago, FastShip24 said:

I just got off the Panorama. Those with passports exited one side. Non passport the other. Your response is unnecessary 

My response was based on my experience. This is the first time that I've heard of any ship having separate lines for disembarkation for passport holders and those without. Thank you for the information.

• Like 1

In late May, on our debarkation off the Dream (out of Galveston), after our zone was called, those of us with passports exited very quickly, taking longer to walk down the ramp to the visual ID screens then it took to go through the process.  But the line for those w/o passports was long, very long.   One lady was waiting in the luggage claim area for some family members w/o passports - I recall her family was split - some with passports and some w/o.  She said they had already been waiting an hour for her family in the "w/o line" and they were still in the middle of the line.  She was not happy and commented that their next family cruise was in Sept and those w/o passports were not going unless they had them.  With the current delay times in processing of passports, I suspect they will have to use their DL and BC again.   So, glad I renewed my passport just before the pandemic.  

Happy cruising everyone!

• Like 1