Food NOT offered on Carnival

Drew B 58

4 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

It can also be mushy and lacking flavor when left sitting in a pot of hot water - boiled corn on the cob is not good, either.

I am now craving sweet, hot, crispy corn on cob 🌽 

This too.  I had some corn on the cob earlier this week, so no craving here.  But I hope you find satisfaction somewhere, somehow. 🙏

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

It can also be mushy and lacking flavor when left sitting in a pot of hot water - boiled corn on the cob is not good, either.

They manage to keep the Eggs Benedict at temperature without the yolks getting hard, I'm sure they could figure out a way to keep the corn at temp as well. And now I have to buy some corn to cook at camp this weekend. (And the problem with the corn on the cob on ship is similar to that with lobster- it's being cooked from a frozen state and if it's not done properly the result is unappetizing.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sherden24 said:

Tortilla chips! 

This is what I was going to say lol.  Some friends went on a cruise with us,  they were first-timers.  Whenever we go out to dinner, she almost always orders nachos.  She loves nachos.  She spent the whole cruise trying to find some tortilla chips, to no avail.  😆

29 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

This is what I was going to say lol.  Some friends went on a cruise with us,  they were first-timers.  Whenever we go out to dinner, she almost always orders nachos.  She loves nachos.  She spent the whole cruise trying to find some tortilla chips, to no avail.  😆

Don't they still have the taco bar? It had chips.

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

One thing that I've had at Royal's Windjammer that I don't recall seeing in either Carnival's buffet or MDR (though I could have easily missed it) is corn on the cob.  It can be VERY tricky to maintain in the buffet as it can dry out very quickly.  

They served corn on the cob on the Spirit in March.  It was cut into thirds (or really short ears cut in half) and then split it half lengthwise.  It was dry had no flavor, so at least it wasn't large pieces being thrown out. 

20230321_161239.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

What is one dish you haven’t seen served on Carnival that you think they should add. Bonus points if it is something you think would have broad appeal and which would not be prohibitively difficult or expensive to execute.

I’ll go first:  pecan pie!

before I give an answer...  I'd like to know what the "bonus points" can be redeemed for?

🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

They served corn on the cob on the Spirit in March.  It was cut into thirds (or really short ears cut in half) and then split it half lengthwise.  It was dry had no flavor, so at least it wasn't large pieces being thrown out. 

20230321_161239.jpg

Ugh

51 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

Other LIGHT snacks after 10 p.m. besides pizza. 

My wish would be pretzels, chips, popcorn, crackers. 

I’m not a pizza fan, nor do I want to wait in a line with 100 other people.

With the hubapp other foods are available, such as quesadillas, chicken tenders, etc. (a bit more than munchies for sure). Also with the hubapp you can order a pizza to be delivered anywhere on the ship, including your cabin. We grabbed a drink at Alchemy one night and had a seat nearby and had our pizza in about 30 minutes (as opposed to standing in line for 30 minutes at that time of night).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

quesadillas, chicken tenders, etc. (a bit more than munchies for sure)

Yeah, thanks.  I’ve seen that.

I just want a handful of chips or nuts.  Not another heavy meal.  
I will continue to bring my own.  *sigh*. 😞

1 minute ago, audcc77 said:

Yeah, thanks.  I’ve seen that.

I just want a handful of chips or nuts.  Not another heavy meal.  
I will continue to bring my own.  *sigh*. 😞

My guess is that the reason they don't have chips or nuts is that people would empty the entire serving container and take it back to their chair or cabin 

That being said, they could probably make a little money if they put that stuff (along with some dip or salsa) on the delivery menu for a reasonable price. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, stobe1 said:

They usually have them at seaday brunch.

Thanks!  I was looking at Lido videos.  I don't eat the bagels, usually.  I just like the salmon and the cream cheese with a few capers.

15 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

I don’t think they have lox and bagels in the Lido, but they do in the MDR.  They also have a smoked salmon Benedict at the buffet.  I think it might be every other day, as they alternate with a traditional eggs Benedict…

This sounds yummy!  Had this on the room menu on HAL, but there was an extra charge, so I never tried it.  They always had salmon in the Lido, and the private dining room, Orange Club.

I will look for the eggs benedict on my Sunshine cruise.

14 hours ago, sherden24 said:

Tortilla chips! 

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

How do you cook your corn?  Mine is always crispy when I boil it.  The trick is not to boil too long.

1 hour ago, StephPS79 said:

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Don't they still have the taco bar? It had chips.

This was my thought.  Never have a I been on a cruise that did not have tortilla chips in the taco bar.  That's my favorite for lunch.  I make a taco salad with the salad bar letuce, ground beef, fixings, and then top with crushed tortilla chips.

1 hour ago, angelsfort said:

before I give an answer...  I'd like to know what the "bonus points" can be redeemed for?

🤣

A SECOND entree in the MDR!  🎉

(If you want a third, though, I’ll have to charge you $5…)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

20230321_161239.jpg

Seems like a lot of work to give everyone 1/6 of an ear of corn! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

With the hubapp other foods are available, such as quesadillas, chicken tenders, etc. (a bit more than munchies for sure). Also with the hubapp you can order a pizza to be delivered anywhere on the ship, including your cabin. We grabbed a drink at Alchemy one night and had a seat nearby and had our pizza in about 30 minutes (as opposed to standing in line for 30 minutes at that time of night).

I may have to try the hubapp for pizza ordering.  My one son lives off of pizza on cruises and it will be much better than waiting in line.

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

How do you cook your corn?  Mine is always crispy when I boil it.  The trick is not to boil too long.

This was my thought.  Never have a I been on a cruise that did not have tortilla chips in the taco bar.  That's my favorite for lunch.  I make a taco salad with the salad bar letuce, ground beef, fixings, and then top with crushed tortilla chips.

Corn is steamed as are hot dogs, broccoli, green beans, potatoes, lobster...always steam, never boil. If we're grilling, will then toss it on the grill after steaming to get the little char.

Love a taco salad made from the taco bar! When they're out of chips (that bowl seems to empty quickly) I crumble taco shells on it instead.

Thanks - now I'm hungry!!

• Like 1

Like a food truck park. I think the cruise companies are trying to transition to something like that. A taco truck, a slider truck etc. Or maybe they could have Counrty Fair type food where the slides, games and roller coaster, racetrack etc is. Fresh popcorn, snow cones, candy apples, corn dogs, nachos etc

1 hour ago, NYMama said:

I may have to try the hubapp for pizza ordering.  My one son lives off of pizza on cruises and it will be much better than waiting in line.

They do charge for it, but it's not a lot and it definitely beats having to wait in line.

• Thanks 2

If you asked me this a while ago, I honestly would have said Beef Wellington. I think that's an exciting MDR entrée. I'm glad it's coming back!

Honestly, I agree with a lot of other people with just a simple suggestion: tortilla chips, or any kind of chips in general. How great would it be to have chips and salsa or nachos on the ship? I assume the waste or mess they would make are the reasons we don't have them.