Allure Dry Dock Refurbish

3 minutes ago, redwave said:

Hey, Based on history with other oasis class ships or larger around when might the allure go for dry dock next? Thnx.

(Especially since the 2020 refit didn't happen...)

She disappears from the schedule on February 10, 2025, and doesn't reappear. Since the booking schedule for the cruise line extends through the end of April 2025, it looks like 2/25-4/25  is when she will get all of her long postponed upgrades.

Not to speak ill of Allure but she desperately needs it. I took family in her in April for their first cruise and they had a great time but noticed done of the rough edges (besides Central Park of course).

Of course, I say that and saw Carnival Glory (a ship I’ve sailed twice, once on her maiden voyage) in Cozumel and her appearance gave a new meaning to the word rough. 

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

She disappears from the schedule on February 10, 2025, and doesn't reappear. Since the booking schedule for the cruise line extends through the end of April 2025, it looks like 2/25-4/25  is when she will get all of her long postponed upgrades.

And then do a summer season in Europe i presume ?

When is Icon 2 due to be in service? I know construction has begun. Would be amazing if Icon 2 did an initial summer season in Europe.

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

January 2024, and she will do her inaugural season in Florida.

Thats Icon of the Seas - I was referring to the 2nd ship in the Icon class which I think may be due for delivery in 2025 , although I am not sure about that !

12 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Thats Icon of the Seas - I was referring to the 2nd ship in the Icon class which I think may be due for delivery in 2025 , although I am not sure about that !

I doubt that anyone knows the answer to that question.

8 hours ago, redwave said:

Hey, Based on history with other oasis class ships or larger around when might the allure go for dry dock next? Thnx.

(Especially since the 2020 refit didn't happen...)

Allure did a mid-period underwater inspection in lieu of dry docking in Sept 2022.  Her next mandated dry docking is Sept 2025.  If they were to do upgrades in Feb 2025, as speculated above, they would still need to dry dock in Sept, as you don't get credit for early dockings, it has to be within the specified period either side of the anniversary date the ship was delivered.  So, I don't think it's likely that they would do this.  They could take the ship out of service for hotel maintenance, but that loses revenue, and then they would lose revenue again when they went for the dry dock.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Allure did a mid-period underwater inspection in lieu of dry docking in Sept 2022.  Her next mandated dry docking is Sept 2025.  If they were to do upgrades in Feb 2025, as speculated above, they would still need to dry dock in Sept, as you don't get credit for early dockings, it has to be within the specified period either side of the anniversary date the ship was delivered.  So, I don't think it's likely that they would do this.  They could take the ship out of service for hotel maintenance, but that loses revenue, and then they would lose revenue again when they went for the dry dock.

Is it safe to say that's its more complex then one check box based on a ship's last visit to a shipyard?

The list of required maintenance is pretty extensive and detailed.  It isn't as simple as one visit resets everything.  Accurate statement?  

7 hours ago, Polition67 said:

How likely would it be for an icon class and oasis to be sailing in Europe at the same time? 

Really don't know.

As someone mentioned if large ships are not able to go to some of the key Norwegian ports it kind of changes the normal mix of cruises offered from Southampton in particular,  so things could look different for 2025. Could they fill an Oasis and an Icon class in Europe at the same time?

I think they would have no issues filling Icon as there would be masses of Europeans eager to try out a new class of ship like that. 

Icon would have to do the 7 night itineraries from Barcelona/Rome that Oasis class normally do , so the key question would be what happens with an Oasis class?

Is there room in Florida during the summer period to add in another mega ship? Or are they going to send an Oasis class to another region? 

Another post said there has been talk on Anthem that Maybe Allure is going to Southampton for the 2025 summer season - that would certainly be an unusual move.

So many moving pieces - have to wait until November to find out for sure !

6 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Really don't know.

As someone mentioned if large ships are not able to go to some of the key Norwegian ports it kind of changes the normal mix of cruises offered from Southampton in particular,  so things could look different for 2025. Could they fill an Oasis and an Icon class in Europe at the same time?

I think they would have no issues filling Icon as there would be masses of Europeans eager to try out a new class of ship like that. 

Icon would have to do the 7 night itineraries from Barcelona/Rome that Oasis class normally do , so the key question would be what happens with an Oasis class?

Is there room in Florida during the summer period to add in another mega ship? Or are they going to send an Oasis class to another region? 

Another post said there has been talk on Anthem that Maybe Allure is going to Southampton for the 2025 summer season - that would certainly be an unusual move.

So many moving pieces - have to wait until November to find out for sure !

Thanks for the info I’m relatively new to cruising but I’m hooked already. Is November time when the 2025 deployments are released? If by some miracle icon 2 is sailing in the Europe are would that be announced at the same time sorry for all the questions newbie here 😊

1 hour ago, Polition67 said:

Thanks for the info I’m relatively new to cruising but I’m hooked already. Is November time when the 2025 deployments are released? If by some miracle icon 2 is sailing in the Europe are would that be announced at the same time sorry for all the questions newbie here 😊

European deployment is historically released around November time , sometimes in 2 parts.

The itineraries for Icon 2 will likely be announced along with the reveal of the ship itself,  so not necessarily with the rest of the deployment.

However of the rest of the European deployment for 25/26 is released first it will be glaringly obvious if they were intending to launch Icon 2 in Europe. My feeling is that it will go to Florida as well and another ship will be sent elsewhere,  as Florida/Cococay is where they seem to get the biggest returns and the demand is there with so many people able to drive to the port rather than have to fly.

And yes , its rather easy to get hooked isn't it?

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Is it safe to say that's its more complex then one check box based on a ship's last visit to a shipyard?

The list of required maintenance is pretty extensive and detailed.  It isn't as simple as one visit resets everything.  Accurate statement?  

Every piece of machinery on the ship needs to be surveyed by the class society at least once every 5 years.  Most equipment is on a "continuous" survey schedule, where the surveyor is called out while the ship is in service to inspect machinery and to review maintenance history of work done by the crew over the last year.  All of this machinery is to be surveyed annually. 

A dry dock inspection is required to complete what is known as the "bottom survey", and to survey that equipment that cannot be accessed while the ship is in the water.  So, this will include things like weld inspections (to see if they have deteriorated), hull plating thickness readings at hundreds of points on the hull, especially where the bottom paint has been found missing, or areas of corrosion are apparent, inspections of hull fittings like sea chests (where water is drawn into the ship), bilge keels, fathometers, etc, inspections of all valves that are open to the sea (in many cases, removal of the valve to allow full inspection and then reinstalling), application of bottom paint, checking for watertightness of rudders and voids, and of course conditions of propellers, azipods, thrusters, and stabilizers.

Those items mentioned above for the "bottom survey" would be "reset" after the dry docking, and good for another 5 years (2.5 years if the ship is over 15 years old).  Lots of other things are "reset" during a dry docking, simply because they cannot be done in service, like maintenance to the main electrical switchboard, which requires blacking out sequential areas of the ship during maintenance, but these are not "required" to be done in dry dock.

So, to answer your question, no, one visit to dry dock does not "reset" everything.  Maintenance of class status is a year round, every year, process, with the surveyor coming to the ship at least once a year and clearing what inspections and surveys can be done at the time.  There are probably 30-40 certificates that need to be renewed via surveys, either annually, biennially, or every 5 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

European deployment is historically released around November time , sometimes in 2 parts.

The itineraries for Icon 2 will likely be announced along with the reveal of the ship itself,  so not necessarily with the rest of the deployment.

However of the rest of the European deployment for 25/26 is released first it will be glaringly obvious if they were intending to launch Icon 2 in Europe. My feeling is that it will go to Florida as well and another ship will be sent elsewhere,  as Florida/Cococay is where they seem to get the biggest returns and the demand is there with so many people able to drive to the port rather than have to fly.

And yes , its rather easy to get hooked isn't it?

Thanks again 😊 anticipation is getting to me my patience is at zero 😂

13 hours ago, Polition67 said:

How likely would it be for an icon class and oasis to be sailing in Europe at the same time? 

Unless and until RCI can dry dock a ship closer to the US, there's bound to be an overlap in Icon and Oasis class ships needing a dry dock the same year at Cadiz. When that happens, they will likely both sail a Med season there. With Icon 2 coming out in the middle of 2025 and Allure having her dry dock then, they may both be there that summer.

Edited by Biker19

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The two new floating docks for Grand Bahamas are supposed to be delivered next year, one of which is capable of lifting the Oasis class ships.

That will be huge and changes the deployment scenario significantly.

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

How long until they will break down again? Cranes anyone?🤣

That dock was about 40 years old, and they were knowingly exceeding the lifting capacity of the dock.  In fact, they were lifting only about half the weight of Oasis and using cofferdams to access the azipods, since the dock was not dry, but still about 10-15 feet underwater.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That dock was about 40 years old, and they were knowingly exceeding the lifting capacity of the dock.  In fact, they were lifting only about half the weight of Oasis and using cofferdams to access the azipods, since the dock was not dry, but still about 10-15 feet underwater.

Sounds like a very reliable, quality operation!👍

I'm sure current RCCL management is anxious to trust them again🤑