From the Seabourn President.

fudge

DELIGHT IN THE DETAILS

Let us take care of the details... and of you...

As a leader in ultra-luxury travel experiences, Seabourn is committed to delivering moments that both delight and enchant our guests. In my first 90 days, I embarked on a listen-and-learn tour and thanks to your valued feedback we are excited to unveil some changes, big and small, to continue to enhance your experience as a member of the Seabourn family.

Our aim is to create unforgettable experiences that capture the "Delight in the Details" at every turn and elevate your Seabourn Moments to the next level. Here are a few changes that we are in the process of implementing, inspired by your voice.

A WORLD OF CULINARY DELIGHT:

• Enhanced in-suite dining menu and culinary offerings — Our new 24-hour in-suite dining menu includes a wider variety of choices including a delightful variety of vegan and vegetarian options. This new experience debuted on Seabourn Venture in June and will extend to the line’s fleet of intimate ships by October 2023.

• New dinner recipes for The Restaurant — Our chefs are continuously creating two new recipes each week, further elevating the gourmet dining experiences we offer in our repertoire such as fresh oysters, Dover sole, and more. This will amount to over 100 new recipes per year.

• Sushi in the Club on Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Sojourn, and Seabourn Quest — Following the popularity of our dedicated restaurant, Sushi, on board Seabourn Encore, Seabourn Ovation, and Sushi in The Club on Seabourn Venture and Seabourn Pursuit, we will be rolling out this sumptuous concept on board Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Sojourn and Seabourn Quest by November 2023. Enjoy a menu that perfectly blends authenticity with a twist of Seabourn’s culinary expertise.

• Fresh orange juice in The Colonnade — Our fresh orange juice has been elevated to the next level with new machines that squeeze à la minute juice served glass by glass for you. Enjoy this delicious treat, beginning this fall, in The Colonnade at the buffet, served table side, or ordered to your suite.

CONNECT OR DISCONNECT AS YOU WISH:

• SpaceX's Starlink — The next generation of Wi-Fi connectivity – SpaceX’s Starlink, the leader in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite technology – will provide Seabourn guests with faster service, greater connectivity and more reliable Wi-Fi wherever Starlink’s services are available. This upgraded technology debuted on Seabourn Venture in June in the Arctic region, one of the most challenging regions to stay connected in the world, and our guests are sharing very positive experiences. Seabourn Sojourn will be equipped with the new technology just in time for her World Cruise departure and Starlink's Wi-Fi connectivity will roll out across the entire Seabourn fleet by the end of 2023.

SEABOURN'S WAY OF SERVING YOU:

• Seabourn Academy® employee training — To ensure we maintain the highest service standards, we have invested in Seabourn Academy – a programme enabling team members to hone their hospitality skills and focus on delivering unforgettable Seabourn Moments. This programme will also be extended to shoreside team members, creating a seamless experience for you, our guests.

• Seabourn dedicated destination department with more bespoke shore excursion options — We’ve resourced a group of luxury tour operators for all regions to provide more unique and exclusive offerings in addition to enhancing current tour options for pre, during, and post voyage. The new programme will launch with 2023 Mediterranean sailings and expand to the Caribbean and Northern Europe (British Isles) before deploying across all itineraries.

THE SMALL DETAILS MATTER:

• Special farewell gift on board — Saying ‘goodbye’ just got a little bit sweeter. Let this special gift serve as a reminder of those special moments after you’ve returned home… or serve as inspiration for your next adventure.

• Daily printed Herald plus printed copies of onboard dining menus — Back by popular demand! The Herald, is now printed and delivered to your suite every day. You will enjoy every detail of the day’s activities right at your fingertips. For those who are already enjoying the complimentary app, Seabourn Source, guests can still access daily details of their voyage directly on their smart phone, tablet or laptop. In addition, printed daily onboard dining menus will be available on request.

• Complimentary all-weather jackets in Alaska, the Arctic and Antarctica — One less thing to pack, one more thing to look forward to. We’re pleased to offer all guests a complimentary all-weather jacket for all sailings to Alaska, the Arctic, and Antarctica.

• Complimentary designer soaps are returning — This Seabourn favourite makes its return on sailings later this year! Enjoy a selection of complimentary designer soaps, in addition to an extended selection of Molton Brown, London scented bath and shower gels that complement our current selection of bespoke fragrances that were exclusively designed for Seabourn guests.

• Guest and Officer Lists — Another favourite back by popular demand! On request, we will provide Guest and Officer lists showing names and domiciles. Participation will be voluntary.

We always want to hear from you and show that your thoughts drive our actions. We hope that these small details will surprise and delight you when we welcome you back on board.

Your moment is truly our mission.
Warm regards,

• Like 8

Good news.  We also applaud Seabourn's decision to open The Restaurant for lunch everyday--whether it is a sea or port day.  We enjoyed this on our recent June cruise on Ovation and it made all the difference for me. 

We also enjoyed a printed Herald and printed menus for each dining venue each day.  I DID use the Seabourn Source App as well to complement the printed material.  

I applaud new dinner recipes being rolled out for The Restaurant.  I think who the executive chef is on any particular voyage DOES make a difference as well.  

I am especially excited about the idea of upgraded excursions.  I am sure they will come with upgraded pricing as well.  I think it is time for more innovative and "special" experiences for those who prefer the ease of Seabourn planned excursions.  

I also have enjoyed the officer and guest lists in the past.  Of course this is voluntary for guests and anyone can choose not to be included.  

The fancy soaps are not that important to me--but I know they are to others--just as opening The Restaurant is important to me.  

• Like 3

Just a comment about the all-weather jackets in Alaska. The new black version, while very nice, is not what I would call all-weather. I would call it a Spring/Fall rain jacket. I don't think it is adequate for temperatures below 10C/50F.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fine letter by President Natalya Leahy. Its delivery, content and refreshing candor sweeps aside the peppy but empty hype we often hear about new corporate executives taking charge. 

Sadly it may just show how Seabourn’s standards have dropped and evidence how many complaints and/or defections to Silversea and Regent have accumulated. When did all this happen? How did Seabourn Management ever allow the lapse of so many items and processes to become institutionalized over the past few years? And will these various improvements (taking us to late 2023 and 2024 to realize) be sufficient to stem the tide? These are seminal questions.

I would argue that Natalya Leahy is doing a fine job in admitting so much that is wrong. Shame on her predecessors and those staffers who witnessed the rot. You could say that this thoughtful exercise evidences both indifference to passengers and Seabourn’s competition. They have harmed the brand to such an extent that the new president is under such pressure during her first 100 days. 

In time I hope these efforts deliver results for the patient Seabourn loyalists out there. But it will be vital, in my opinion, for Seabourn to spend the big bucks and exercise a lot of imagination to deliver new ships with feature already in the market. Encore, now 7 years old, was a larger but more crowded Odyssey the same size pool, MDR and Grand Salon, and a smaller Club. Whereas in the meantime Silversea and Regent launched several classic cruise ships that easily outstrip the old Seabourn models with far more generous, clever and sophisticated venues, especially dining and recreational facilities.

So there we are. Best of luck to the direction taken by the new Seabourn Management.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, markham said:

Fine letter by President Natalya Leahy. Its delivery, content and refreshing candor sweeps aside the peppy but empty hype we often hear about new corporate executives taking charge. 

Sadly it may just show how Seabourn’s standards have dropped and evidence how many complaints and/or defections to Silversea and Regent have accumulated. When did all this happen? How did Seabourn Management ever allow the lapse of so many items and processes to become institutionalized over the past few years? And will these various improvements (taking us to late 2023 and 2024 to realize) be sufficient to stem the tide? These are seminal questions.

I would argue that Natalya Leahy is doing a fine job in admitting so much that is wrong. Shame on her predecessors and those staffers who witnessed the rot. You could say that this thoughtful exercise evidences both indifference to passengers and Seabourn’s competition. They have harmed the brand to such an extent that the new president is under such pressure during her first 100 days. 

In time I hope these efforts deliver results for the patient Seabourn loyalists out there. But it will be vital, in my opinion, for Seabourn to spend the big bucks and exercise a lot of imagination to deliver new ships with feature already in the market. Encore, now 7 years old, was a larger but more crowded Odyssey the same size pool, MDR and Grand Salon, and a smaller Club. Whereas in the meantime Silversea and Regent launched several classic cruise ships that easily outstrip the old Seabourn models with far more generous, clever and sophisticated venues, especially dining and recreational facilities.

So there we are. Best of luck to the direction taken by the new Seabourn Management.

Markham, Have you sailed on Regent?  You have not. mentioned doing so in my recollection.  Just curious.  We HAVE sailed SS, but it has been years and years.  I am a bit put off by the fact that it is a bit more complicated in terms of restaurant reservations than SB.  Can you allay my concern?  

I am having difficulty persuading Mr. SLSD that we should consider trying SS again.  I have gathered from your posts that only the newer ships should be considered.  

Very refreshing letter.   I think she comes equipped with the will and the power to affect change.  It's a battleship to turn, not some toy of a boat.  Impressed that she lists a time schedule for changes to happen.   

Briefly looking at Alaska cruises this summer, SS books at a much higher cost than SB.  

Still, a real uphill battle with good people having moved on replaced with the unqualified.  Older ships versus the competition.

Edited by saminina
  • Like 3

Putting things back the way they were before Covid is a very worthwhile approach and a good start.  Our 14 day Alaska cruise on Odyssey last year was great and compared favorably to Quest/Antarctica in 2019, so this should be easily achievable. 

Shore excursions cramming 50 people on a bus might work for Holland America, but not for Seabourn.  So improved small group shore excursions would be very welcome. 

As far as Silversea or Regent?  Of course I look at those too. 

Sliversea with their included air or non-refundable deposit?  Show-stoppers for me.  At least they have decent itineraries. 

Regent's itineraries?  Vancouver to Seward, Seward to Vancouver, Vancouver to Seward, blah, blah, and lot's more expensive.  No kayaks, no zodiaks...

For me, Seabourn almost always wins based on itinerary.  That is the one thing I do not want them to change. 

SLSD,

I have not sailed with Regent but I have heard terrific things about their 2 new ships. Over the years I have heard mixed things about Regent but for me new ships with advanced design win. At the risk of being too specific I know what I want and that baseline includes a large and wide top deck for unencumbered walking exercise and a swimming pool that is for swimming and not for standing around with drinks. Seabourn offers no track as such and swimming pools that are so short that my 3 strokes of crawl is the limit. Silversea’s Muse, Moon and Dawn are the business: 2 lane tracks, top deck, long and circular, lots of space, and deep pools that are long enough for 5-6 strokes. So that’s what works for me, and so are their 8 differentiated restaurants. These 8 restaurants collectively have far more seats than Seabourn ships do. Yes, you book dinners for La Dame, the Japanese Kaiseki, the poolside Grill, the Jazz club, and Italian La Terrazza, the latter for flow control. Otherwise there is no booking, and the large restaurants Atlantide and SALT with >180 each can take virtually whatever the remaining flow delivers. Oh, and booking is done online or via your butler. Whereas Seabourn’s TK Grill and ad hoc TK Colonnade dinners have their own capacity limits and reservation quirks (including gaming), as everyone knows.

Before anyone starts throwing down the gauntlet about what line does what may I suggest that everyone do their research, recognizing that what suited us years ago won’t necessarily work now. You can graduate from one sort of ship to another, in my case Silver Whisper and Cloud, “never-agains” to the 3 ships mentioned above “anytime”. And I would not be distracted by any such no cancel policy when you might find it’s not true and/or you can shift your booking to another sailing. On Silversea we have experienced unique extra benefits when booking on board and further after 100 days. The Silversea website for all aspects of your cruise leaves that of Seabourn in the shade- for functionality, content and integrity. And now Silver Nova launches next month as does Ray in a few months; their design are game-changers according to TAs. Silversea is on a roll, and to boot they have their 2026 WC on sale while Seabourn is only considering its 2025 WC.

So it would appear that Silversea is my “go-to”, and with the 3 current ships (post the Muse/Moon/Dawn launches) may well occupy a top-tier place that Seabourn had when it rolled out those game changers Ody, Soj and Quest, so many years ago. You may just have to see for yourselves.

And I reiterate, best of luck to Natalya Leahy with turning around Seabourn’s classic ship offerings. And may she quickly bring out more itineraries and even some new ships.

Edited by markham
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, markham said:

So it would appear that Silversea is my “go-to”, and with the 3 current ships (post the Muse/Moon/Dawn launches) may well occupy a top-tier place that Seabourn had when it rolled out those game changers Ody, Soj and Quest, so many years ago. You may just have to see for yourselves.

I've been looking at the Silversea itineraries and will certainly consider them for our next cruise--which I am actively searching for now.  

I assume from what you are saying that you have moved beyond seeing Silversea as having the ambience of a fine hotel instead of the more convivial atmosphere of a Seabourn cruise.  Or perhaps you prefer its clientele?  

I follow a Silversea facebook group and have to admit that I am very put off by many of their comments (dress code of course as well as other issues).  Of course I realize that the people who post are a tiny % of those who sail.  

I know we just have to jump in and try a cruise on Moon, Muse, or Dawn.  

How are you seeing the door to door  vs. the port to port pricing  (and other) issues? I've been reading a bit about that and haven't sorted it all out yet.  We very much want to be in control of our own flights (especially after our most recent experience) and prefer also to choose our own hotels.  Those of you who live in the UK and in other European countries can approach cruising from a slightly different perspective.  We prefer to arrive at an embarkation port as many as three days early (these days) and choose a hotel for its charm and location.  We are ok with booking our own transfers.  Are we going to be penalized on Silversea for this approach?

Edited by SLSD

SLSD,

My original thought that Silversea classic ships operate like very fine European hotels remains fresh and valid whereas Seabourn are more matey-cruise informal events. How do I have this impression?

It was firmed up after the Aug., 2021 restart of Seabourn when we took the 2 week cruise on a not-full Ovation in Greece. Afterwards, a day later, we joined Dawn in Athens for a 10 cruise where we indulged in that longer swimming pool, relaxed after the fun/craziness of Ovation during what seemed like a release from Covid drudgery, and enjoyed far superior poolside comfort, service and  food across all the Dawn’s outlets, poolside and in the restaurants. Whereas Seabourn can be busy-fun, Silver Dawn was restrained and calm. But the quality, getting the basics done very well, and adding in flashes of brilliant style, was in evidence.

About Silversea clientele, I cannot make generalizations. Many are indeed discrete types, loyal repeaters. We have nonetheless made many friends there. Possibly they simply like the lower key entertainment there, too. But I have fortunately not observed any sun lounge hogs or confrontational people claiming “their” MDR table with revenue wine glasses as I have on Seabourn. Why? Better quality appointments on deck (don’t get me started on those narrow, hard and now ancient Seabourn sun loungers) and more far space in the various dining areas may be a clue. Then you have those renowned prima donnas eg the one who commands compliant Colonnade staff to carry her lunch plates for her to other decks. Which sorta gives the impression that Seabourn allows/encourages somehow an “anything goes” atmosphere that either Silversea or its passengers do not want/wouldn’t tolerate. The vibes are different, and may they stay that way - if that’s what most want… Maybe we have moved on indeed- with the exception of Venture which is an absolute game changer IMO.

About door to door vs port to port pricing packages I am no expert. We seem to select the former as they work for us and we like SS handling the airfares. Then they come with pickups at home to Heathrow and from the ship to airport. Like you we always arrive at least a day early and sometimes stay after the cruise. Well in advance of the cruise I simply ask my TA to have SS book specific flights to/from the cruise and there may be a deviation fee. But I have never been disappointed with the responses. SS will pay for my Blacklane transfer to LHR and back, but I have to handle my transfers to my own hotel pre-cruise and to the port. Same on the return from the ship to my hotel and to the airport. Best then to talk with a TA.

And back to Natalya Leahy’s efforts: Seabourn is cooking up new recipes and will even offer oysters.  That sounds good for our 2024 Sojourn cruise. Friends now on the wonderful Venture have just enjoyed some in Iceland which shows things are changing. Anyway, I remember showing a Bridge Officer, maybe Environment or Safety, in January on our Quest Grand Voyage photos of the oysters we were offered at the Dawn’s La Terrazza lunch buffet 2 months earlier in Spain. He muttered something about US health regulations absolutely forbidding oysters - as if either Silversea was not regulated too and/or I was somehow mistaken. Which goes to show how certain mindsets can, well, set in. You just have to have the willingness, budget, contacts, and know-how to handle fresh shellfish - as permitted by local authorities. 

And on the topic of marketing “This is your moment”, mine came twice on Dawn last November. The first was at a cooking competition we enjoyed in the Venetian Lounge held on stage by 3 ship’s top chefs, one from Spain, France and Italy, together with close to 40 years at SS. They ran the SALT, Atlantide and La Terrazza restaurants and explained how there are several independent storage areas/prep areas/kitchens in play. This is a serious well-resourced ship for catering.

The other “moment” was at the Venetian Club reception when we had reached our 100 day milestone. The caviar plates when we were seated had the usual dollop but the accompaniments with blinis, the egg yolk, egg white and parsley were arranged beautifully in stripes like the Italian flag. A real first class moment.

I hope I have given you useful information.

20 minutes ago, markham said:

Friends now on the wonderful Venture have just enjoyed some in Iceland which shows things are changing. Anyway, I remember showing a Bridge Officer, maybe Environment or Safety, in January on our Quest Grand Voyage photos of the oysters we were offered at the Dawn’s La Terrazza lunch buffet 2 months earlier in Spain.

It is worth noting those Venture Oysters were very specifically marinated in vodka...perhaps to minimize the risk of food borne illness?

18 hours ago, SLSD said:

Good news.  We also applaud Seabourn's decision to open The Restaurant for lunch everyday--whether it is a sea or port day.  We enjoyed this on our recent June cruise on Ovation and it made all the difference for me. 

We also enjoyed a printed Herald and printed menus for each dining venue each day.  I DID use the Seabourn Source App as well to complement the printed material.  

I applaud new dinner recipes being rolled out for The Restaurant.  I think who the executive chef is on any particular voyage DOES make a difference as well.  

I am especially excited about the idea of upgraded excursions.  I am sure they will come with upgraded pricing as well.  I think it is time for more innovative and "special" experiences for those who prefer the ease of Seabourn planned excursions.  

I also have enjoyed the officer and guest lists in the past.  Of course this is voluntary for guests and anyone can choose not to be included.  

The fancy soaps are not that important to me--but I know they are to others--just as opening The Restaurant is important to me.  

The letter didn't mention the restaurant open for lunch every day....or did I just miss it?

A few things that I would personally improve:

- Order room service via the App so no need to wait for the line to get free (also no need for one person to waste time on the phone)

- Dessert in the Sushi (Not sure why it is missing)

- GET RID OF THE WHITE TABLECLOTH in the restaurant, it is so dated and extremely bad environmentally (how many they have to wash everyday...), just put some nice design table like in all fancy modern gourmet restaurant (at least here in Europe). It felt like I was going to a wedding in the 80es every time I stepped into the restaurant (I ended up eating more often in the sushi and colonnade)

- Improve the wine quality already included in the fare, it was real bad when we were on board last November 

-I would extend the restaurant hours, I mean nobody 50 or less eats that early anymore...

1 hour ago, Khareef said:

The letter didn't mention the restaurant open for lunch every day....or did I just miss it?

- Order room service via the App so no need to wait for the line to get free (also no need for one person to waste time on the phone)

- GET RID OF THE WHITE TABLECLOTH in the restaurant, it is so dated and extremely bad environmentally (how many they have to wash everyday...), just put some nice design table like in all fancy modern gourmet restaurant (at least here in Europe). It felt like I was going to a wedding in the 80es every time I stepped into the restaurant (I ended up eating more often in the sushi and colonnade)

- Improve the wine quality already included in the fare, it was real bad when we were on board last November 

-I would extend the restaurant hours, I mean nobody 50 or less eats that early anymore...

The email did not mention The Restaurant being open every day for lunch---but this is a recent development for post Covid cruises.  It was begun at the beginning of our June 11th Ovation cruise and will be across the fleet.  This was a very big deal for me as I do not do buffets and enjoy a quiet lunch in The Restaurant on many days.  Get rid of the white tablecloths?  Because they are dated?  Have you ever heard of the term "white tablecloth restaurant"?  It is a thing and something many people enjoy.  Perhaps this will change in time, but evidently that time has not arrived yet.  And, just as a note--it may well be that people under 50 do not eat early.  Many people over 50 DO eat early and perhaps when you are over 50 you'll discover why.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SLSD said:

The email did not mention The Restaurant being open every day for lunch---but this is a recent development for post Covid cruises.  It was begun at the beginning of our June 11th Ovation cruise and will be across the fleet.  This was a very big deal for me as I do not do buffets and enjoy a quiet lunch in The Restaurant on many days.  Get rid of the white tablecloths?  Because they are dated?  Have you ever heard of the term "white tablecloth restaurant"?  It is a thing and something many people enjoy.  Perhaps this will change in time, but evidently that time has not arrived yet.  And, just as a note--it may well be that people under 50 do not eat early.  Many people over 50 DO eat early and perhaps when you are over 50 you'll discover why.  

31 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Also many older people who live in parts of Europe eat much later than 21.00 hrs. We would love to eat our main meal lunchtime and just a piece of fish xor steak for dinner without all the sides.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tallante said:

Also many older people who live in parts of Europe eat much later than 21.00 hrs. We would love to eat our main meal lunchtime and just a piece of fish xor steak for dinner without all the sides.

And I would enjoy a dinner made up of just a couple of small appetizers.  Everyone is different--but I would not begin to criticize others for the time they choose to dine.  Perhaps the dining venues should be open later--until 10pm perhaps like many restaurants in the US.  People have various reasons for dining when they do--some are custom, some are medical, and some are merely preference.  

2 hours ago, Khareef said:

This is a very interesting post and is why Seabourn has a difficult time 'threading the needle.' 

Personally, almost all of your 'improvements' I would be against.  In fact Seabourn removing the table cloths would be a red line for us.  We would take our business elsewhere if that were to happen.  SB has already removed the candles and fresh flowers...taking the table cloths would be the last straw.

As for changing the dining hours to later, perhaps a more European cruise line would be preferable for you.  Most SB clientele like to eat earlier and I imagine a fair few would prefer the Restaurant to open even earlier than 7pm.  Since the crew can only work so much, the current dining hours are the compromise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

This is a very interesting post and is why Seabourn has a difficult time 'threading the needle.' 

Personally, almost all of your 'improvements' I would be against.  In fact Seabourn removing the table cloths would be a red line for us.  We would take our business elsewhere if that were to happen.  SB has already removed the candles and fresh flowers...taking the table cloths would be the last straw.

As for changing the dining hours to later, perhaps a more European cruise line would be preferable for you.  Most SB clientele like to eat earlier and I imagine a fair few would prefer the Restaurant to open even earlier than 7pm.  Since the crew can only work so much, the current dining hours are the compromise.  

20.30 Dinner for me but with a table cloth and a napkin.

• Like 1

Following up to the interesting dialogue between SLSD and Markham, my wife and I have been on both Seabourn (pre-Covid) and Regent, but not Silversea. We have done two post-covid cruises on Regent--one on Splendor and one on the little Navigator (last May).

We were recently considering SS for a cruise but have, for now, ruled them out. Why? I simply cannot wrap my head around an extra charge for dining in several venues, when paying the luxury prices which SS charges. I also much prefer the included biz-class air on Regent (which I think is only included for North American passengers, not European or UK passengers--correct me if that assumption is wrong).    

Pre-covid, we had 2 cruises each on Seabourn and Regent. On each line one cruise was "just ok", while one was superb. We were going to do Alaska on Seabourn in May of 2020--well, we know what happened with that (it didn't). Our two post-covid cruises on Regent last Fall, Barcelona-Miami on Splendor & this Spring Miami-Montreal on Navigator were both superb! Excellent food and service and on Splendor one is spoiled for choice. Less dining choice on the little Navigator (only one specialty resto), but wonderful food, varied menus, and caring and warm service make up for that. We loved both very different ships.

The included air or air credit, and the "no signing" given included tours, are important. We graduated from HAL years ago because I was tired of the nickle and diming, and signing for everything. Again, that not all included is what holds me back from SS. For the right itinerary and value, we would return to Seabourn. 

Whatever you choose to try, I wish you calm winds and following seas. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

Following up to the interesting dialogue between SLSD and Markham, my wife and I have been on both Seabourn (pre-Covid) and Regent, but not Silversea. We have done two post-covid cruises on Regent--one on Splendor and one on the little Navigator (last May).

We were recently considering SS for a cruise but have, for now, ruled them out. Why? I simply cannot wrap my head around an extra charge for dining in several venues, when paying the luxury prices which SS charges. I also much prefer the included biz-class air on Regent (which I think is only included for North American passengers, not European or UK passengers--correct me if that assumption is wrong).    

Pre-covid, we had 2 cruises each on Seabourn and Regent. On each line one cruise was "just ok", while one was superb. We were going to do Alaska on Seabourn in May of 2020--well, we know what happened with that (it didn't). Our two post-covid cruises on Regent last Fall, Barcelona-Miami on Splendor & this Spring Miami-Montreal on Navigator were both superb! Excellent food and service and on Splendor one is spoiled for choice. Less dining choice on the little Navigator (only one specialty resto), but wonderful food, varied menus, and caring and warm service make up for that. We loved both very different ships.

The included air or air credit, and the "no signing" given included tours, are important. We graduated from HAL years ago because I was tired of the nickle and diming, and signing for everything. Again, that not all included is what holds me back from SS. For the right itinerary and value, we would return to Seabourn. 

Whatever you choose to try, I wish you calm winds and following seas. 

I always find the experiences of others to be interesting--so thank you for your report.  Of course, we all realize that people see can see the same cruise totally differently.  

There are several things that hold me back from booking a Silversea cruise.  One is that things seem a bit more complicated.  That may just be me not understanding the differences in suites.  I would not like having to make reservations for every evening's dinner so far ahead of time.  I am well aware that there are two restaurants (at least on the newer ships) that do not require a reservation.  And finally, some of the diehard Silversea cruisers seem obsessed with the dress code--which appears to be more stringent that Seabourns.  I remember how many suitcases I took on our last Silversea cruise--which was way back in 2005.  I would also miss the forward facing Observation Lounge.  

I've been looking at Regent and can't quite grasp what it may be like.  

I often ask Markham for his opinion on cruise lines etc because I have met him in person and have a good idea of what he expects from a cruise line from our in person discussion.