Fly to a 12 Day itinerary with no checked bags?

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I really do not care how little luggage another cruiser has, nor with what he/she wears (as long as it is not flouting a published dress code which other cruisers are entitled to expect will be observed).

My real concern is the tendency of “carry-on” only fliers to exceed reasonable limits - with three or four pieces which hog the available overhead space and block the aisles as they lug them on and off the plane.

I do wonder why so many want to boast about their ability to do it:  have they nothing else to feel good about?

I have nave seen anyone with more than their allotted number of carry ons but it drives me nuts to see people with oversized carry ons and then put everything in the overhead bin. If you stuff your carry on roller full it will be too big. Personal item is suppose to be stowed under the seat in front of you (except in seats where that is not available).

one thing to note is that your coat, prescription medications, duty free shopping, and food purchased at the airport usually do not count as part of your carry on allowance. This may be why you see some people with more than 2 bags. I carry a small reusable shopping bag for these items if needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Do you fly much?

I take about 20-30 flights a year so a reasonable amount I’d say. I reached out to a friend who flys for work more than I do and he says the airline I usually fly is why I don’t see it. Some airlines don’t tolerate it and so it happens much less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

I take about 20-30 flights a year so a reasonable amount I’d say. I reached out to a friend who flys for work more than I do and he says the airline I usually fly is why I don’t see it. Some airlines don’t tolerate it and so it happens much less.

I have seen it regularly on Delta, United, American and Jet Blue - on every flight (about a dozen per year now) and several dozen before I retired. 

23 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

My real concern is the tendency of “carry-on” only fliers to exceed reasonable limits - with three or four pieces which hog the available overhead space and block the aisles as they lug them on and off the plane.

I don't know of any US airlines that allows more than one carry on and one personal item, and most foreign carriers are even more strict.  If pax are bringing on more items, the gate agent failed to do their job.

Working in baggage and dealing with the constant profanity and screaming from pax who did not receive their bags, in addition to seeing what a hassle it is for many pax when their bags do not arrive, I can't recommend traveling with carry ons only enough.  I know I am tired of the childish abuse and if they'd only brought carry on, they would be home sometimes by the time they reached the front of the baggage office line to tell me their life story and complain about the airline.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

I don't know of any US airlines that allows more than one carry on and one personal item, and most foreign carriers are even more strict.  If pax are bringing on more items, the gate agent failed to do their job.

Working in baggage and dealing with the constant profanity and screaming from pax who did not receive their bags, in addition to seeing what a hassle it is for many pax when their bags do not arrive, I can't recommend traveling with carry ons only enough.  I know I am tired of the childish abuse and if they'd only brought carry on, they would be home sometimes by the time they reached the front of the baggage office line to tell me their life story and complain about the airline.

Being kind to baggage agents has paid off big for us. Our luggage was located much quicker by being kind and having an agent go out of their way to help us instead of just waiting for the system to work in its normal way. 

I can’t travel carry on only for most of my trips but all essentials and irreplaceable items go in my carry on and personal item. I did a big post not long ago about how I prepare for lost luggage. How I pack just in case and how I even have a plan for how to quickly replace clothing I need for a trip. 

everyone I know in aviation say the same thing, don’t check your luggage unless you have to. But people need to play within the rules. One thing I always check though before flying is if I’m on a shorter flight will I need to gate check based on the size of the plane. If that might happen I always pack accordingly so I have essentials and dangerous items (stuff with batteries) in my personal item.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:25 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I really do not care how little luggage another cruiser has, nor with what he/she wears (as long as it is not flouting a published dress code which other cruisers are entitled to expect will be observed).

I do wonder why so many want to boast about their ability to do it:  have they nothing else to feel good about?

Wait a minute.  You mean you don't avoid the budget class cabins on flights where all the Walmart people are.  😄😄

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Wait a minute.  You mean you don't avoid the budget class cabins on flights where all the Walmart people are.  😄😄

I only go for premium seats on long flights - Trans-Atlantics, etc. so yes, I do rub shoulders with the Walmart people (as you call them) —- after all, I interact with them when shopping at Walmart, so why not?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For carry on only, I pack "non-memorable" but fashionable shirts and I have one style with 8 colours.  You might think that I wore that colour before and you might be right, but I don't care anyway.  These also wash, ring out and dry in 4 hours in the bathroom.  We travel only non-formal ships, and if we ever do go on a ship with a formal night we will eat at the buffet that night.

The problem with an upcoming trip that I am most definitely going carry on is that this is on EVA Air and they are apparently very strict with both the exact measurements of your carry on but also the weight.  They apparently weigh all carry on bags at the ticket counter and they can be a max of 15lbs or 7kg.  If over then they force it to be checked.  

My lightest carry on bag is already 6lbs empty.  That means only 9lbs of clothing and other stuff.

Now, you can have one personal item, that again, they are strict with size, but their site does not state a weight limit for this item...  I wonder if I can get away with more weight in the personal item as long as it conforms to the measurements?

I read many comments of people boarding aircraft with overstuffed carry on bags and I watch them as they fail at stuffing them into the overhead.  I also watch people that have multiple bags - not just the carry on and personal item - and they get through, but then I get picked out of line and told that I need to check my carry on.

There is no reason to the rules right now and you can randomly get through or randomly get stopped.

More and more I am seeing non-American and non-Canadian airlines however taking a firm stand on carry on size and weight.

On 9/6/2023 at 5:56 AM, CDNPolar said:

For carry on only, I pack "non-memorable" but fashionable shirts and I have one style with 8 colours.  You might think that I wore that colour before and you might be right, but I don't care anyway.  These also wash, ring out and dry in 4 hours in the bathroom.  We travel only non-formal ships, and if we ever do go on a ship with a formal night we will eat at the buffet that night.

The problem with an upcoming trip that I am most definitely going carry on is that this is on EVA Air and they are apparently very strict with both the exact measurements of your carry on but also the weight.  They apparently weigh all carry on bags at the ticket counter and they can be a max of 15lbs or 7kg.  If over then they force it to be checked.  

My lightest carry on bag is already 6lbs empty.  That means only 9lbs of clothing and other stuff.

Now, you can have one personal item, that again, they are strict with size, but their site does not state a weight limit for this item...  I wonder if I can get away with more weight in the personal item as long as it conforms to the measurements?

I read many comments of people boarding aircraft with overstuffed carry on bags and I watch them as they fail at stuffing them into the overhead.  I also watch people that have multiple bags - not just the carry on and personal item - and they get through, but then I get picked out of line and told that I need to check my carry on.

There is no reason to the rules right now and you can randomly get through or randomly get stopped.

More and more I am seeing non-American and non-Canadian airlines however taking a firm stand on carry on size and weight.

Hi CdnPolar. My husband and I do the same thing. We have travelled for 6 weeks, hand luggage only.  Too bad if you see the same outfit 10 times in 6 weeks...one pair of hiking shoes wear on the plane and comfortable crocs, although not fashionable, for the ship. 

If weight is the biggest issue, you could put heavier items in your knapsack, then once through "screening" while you check in and they tag your bag okay for cabin, when you get to gate area, do a swap around and repack.  We have done this before with success.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, holakat said:

Hi CdnPolar. My husband and I do the same thing. We have travelled for 6 weeks, hand luggage only.  Too bad if you see the same outfit 10 times in 6 weeks...one pair of hiking shoes wear on the plane and comfortable crocs, although not fashionable, for the ship. 

If weight is the biggest issue, you could put heavier items in your knapsack, then once through "screening" while you check in and they tag your bag okay for cabin, when you get to gate area, do a swap around and repack.  We have done this before with success.

This might be really sneaky, but, what I have thought of for an upcoming trip with an airline that is extremely strict on carry on, is for each of us to check in separately with only the fully compliant carry on with us while the other stands off to the side with the back pack?  The back pack would be compliant in size and measurements for a personal item - which they don't specify a weight for.

What I am concerned with is if they ever ask for the back pack (personal item) to be weighed and it is heavier than the carry on bag what would they do?

Again, they don't specify a weight limit for the personal item - but I could overweight that bag easily as the carry on weight allowance is only 15lbs.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

This might be really sneaky, but, what I have thought of for an upcoming trip with an airline that is extremely strict on carry on, is for each of us to check in separately with only the fully compliant carry on with us while the other stands off to the side with the back pack?  The back pack would be compliant in size and measurements for a personal item - which they don't specify a weight for.

What I am concerned with is if they ever ask for the back pack (personal item) to be weighed and it is heavier than the carry on bag what would they do?

Again, they don't specify a weight limit for the personal item - but I could overweight that bag easily as the carry on weight allowance is only 15lbs.

That could work, and the worst they will do is charge you to check the carry on at the gate.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

If you want to pack a LOT of stuff in a carry-on-sized bag, bundle packing will change your life!

If you are challenged at the gate to prove your carry on fits in the metal guide, I would suggest that this one would be too wide for that...  

It is my experience that more and more airlines are forcing this at the gate, and I have been on flights recently that they are asking everyone to comply at the point of boarding.

This bundle method looks interesting until security wants to open your bag and go through it.  Nightmare!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

If you are challenged at the gate to prove your carry on fits in the metal guide, I would suggest that this one would be too wide for that...  

It is my experience that more and more airlines are forcing this at the gate, and I have been on flights recently that they are asking everyone to comply at the point of boarding.

This bundle method looks interesting until security wants to open your bag and go through it.  Nightmare!

If you only put clothes and shoes in the bundle, there is little chance security would ever be triggered to go through it. I would definitely never put anything inside the bundle that has even the slightest chance of triggering security.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

If you only put clothes and shoes in the bundle, there is little chance security would ever be triggered to go through it. I would definitely never put anything inside the bundle that has even the slightest chance of triggering security.

Good comment, but if you are going carry on only, then chances are there are things other than clothes that would be going in there...  I do get what you are saying however.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:19 AM, CDNPolar said:

just keep in mind, your "personal item" MUST fit under the seat in front of you.  I was on 1 overseas airline, and they would not allow me to put my packpack in the overhead bin ( that was an extra fee that had to be pre-paid), even though the bins were semi empty.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

just keep in mind, your "personal item" MUST fit under the seat in front of you.  I was on 1 overseas airline, and they would not allow me to put my packpack in the overhead bin ( that was an extra fee that had to be pre-paid), even though the bins were semi empty.   

Yes... of this I am aware, and so far when I have the two, carry on and personal, I have managed to have both in the overhead.  I know that is potentially pushing it, and on one flight coming up it is a 16 hour flight, so I hope that I get it in the overhead.

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Good comment, but if you are going carry on only, then chances are there are things other than clothes that would be going in there...  I do get what you are saying however.

I put all toiletries and electronics in my backpack, which is my personal item that goes under the seat, so I can definitely keep the contents of the carry-on to just clothing. If I am staying in a hotel the night before my cruise, I also put one change of clothes in my backpack, since you really can't get anything out of the bundle until you fully unbundle it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2023 at 7:25 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Ooo yeah!  I so agree with you there....on flights to and from the ship people had to be asked, then forced, to check their 'carry-on' luggage as most of them had slightly too large overstuffed bags that when tested did not fit the carrier restrictions.  Plus some borderline cases had to be pushed and jammed into the overhead bins, and then their 'personal item' was usually a largish rucksack that could barely squish under their seat plus all their jackets, etc.  We were delayed getting out of our gate at JFK airport for almost 1 hour a few days ago because of these travellers.  

When younger and healthier, my spouse & I used to travel with only our carry-on and personal purse/tote/daypack, so it's not like it can't be done properly....it just seems like people are trying to get away with stuffing everything into one bag, when they need to pare it back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a co-worker who traveled without luggage or a carry on.

He went on cruises solely in summer months.At the first port stop he bought a suitcase and clothing for the rest of the cruise,the cheapest he could find .He disposed of the suitcase and all but the clothes he was wearing on the last morning of the cruise.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had a co-worker who traveled without luggage or a carry on.

He went on cruises solely in summer months.At the first port stop he bought a suitcase and clothing for the rest of the cruise,the cheapest he could find .He disposed of the suitcase and all but the clothes he was wearing on the last morning of the cruise.

That seems incredibly wasteful. Not just monetarily, but for the environment! At least find a place to donate the suitcase and clothes!

Edited by JamieLogical

On 8/15/2023 at 7:35 AM, SoloAlaska said:

I have nave seen anyone with more than their allotted number of carry ons but it drives me nuts to see people with oversized carry ons and then put everything in the overhead bin.

I also have not seen folks with several carryon bags.  As you say, the issue is the over large bags and personal items that are nothing more than an additional piece of luggage.   I wager that if airlines were diligent about checking carryon size/weight, half wouldn't make it.  I wish they would do that.   

• Like 1