Fly to a 12 Day itinerary with no checked bags?

I put a deposit down recently and I'm so stoked for my first cruise that I can't stop daydreaming and planning, even though it's a ways away and I have plenty of time to figure this stuff out.

Husband and I are "carry-on or die" travelers. We travel pretty light and have done up to 10 days with just carry-on luggage. I don't think I'd have much of an issue increasing that to 14 days, but since cruising seems to come with its own set of rules, I'm wondering if I'm just being too optimistic? 

I noticed there are laundry facilities and/or services on ships, and I'm not above bringing primarily quick-dry underwear and other clothing to wash in the sink and dry in the shower if necessary, but I just wanted to see if anyone had done anything like this.

We plan to fly in the day before and either stay near the airport to get the cruise transfer/shuttle thing from there or stay near the cruise terminal and find our own way, if that matters. TIA for any tips or advice!

My husband have travelled (land-based and cruises) all over the world with carry-on only. The longest cruise was a 26-day transAtlantic + Mediterranean with carry-on -- I did all the laundry in the sink! Because I had heard that the ship would wash AND dry on hot only and ruin your clothes!

Subsequently I have learned that, at least on Holland American, this isn't true! You can mark items OR the whole bag as warm or cool wash/dry. HAL will even air dry items!

What cruise line will you be sailing? It does make a difference how formal the dressy nights will be...

We've always been carry-on only, and will be doing the same for our upcoming 3 week vacation to Japan (well, unless we go absolutely crazy at the 100 yen store...) Most ships have self-serve laundry, and 'formal' has been negotiated down on most lines, so I've never felt out of place in a plain black knit dress with some nice earrings -- it will just mean the same level of strategic thinking you usually use when traveling. (Plus, you can "self-disembark" at the end, which is so much nicer than worrying about baggage and waiting in line.)

• Like 3

Thanks, y'all for the replies - we're going on Carnival (my friend who invited us is a super shiny rewards member with that line) so I'm not anticipating the formal nights as being super dressy; I'd have to re-read the dress code rundown thing, but I don't remember being super alarmed by anything I read there lol

I would say that ost cruise lines do NOT have self service laundries.  Carnival is not putting them on their newest ships.  HAL does not .  Celebrity does not.  MSC does not…

I travel carryon also.  I assemble a travel wardrobe of easy care lightweight clothing to mix and match.  My formal wear, should I take it, also takes up almost no space.  Limiting shoes is one clue.  EM

• Like 1

23 hours ago, midnightferret said:

I put a deposit down recently and I'm so stoked for my first cruise that I can't stop daydreaming and planning, even though it's a ways away and I have plenty of time to figure this stuff out.

Husband and I are "carry-on or die" travelers. We travel pretty light and have done up to 10 days with just carry-on luggage. I don't think I'd have much of an issue increasing that to 14 days, but since cruising seems to come with its own set of rules, I'm wondering if I'm just being too optimistic? 

I noticed there are laundry facilities and/or services on ships, and I'm not above bringing primarily quick-dry underwear and other clothing to wash in the sink and dry in the shower if necessary, but I just wanted to see if anyone had done anything like this.

We plan to fly in the day before and either stay near the airport to get the cruise transfer/shuttle thing from there or stay near the cruise terminal and find our own way, if that matters. TIA for any tips or advice!

I highly recommend bringing something like Soak Wash which is a wash only (no rinse needed) to wash items as you go.

22 hours ago, midnightferret said:

Thanks, y'all for the replies - we're going on Carnival (my friend who invited us is a super shiny rewards member with that line) so I'm not anticipating the formal nights as being super dressy;...

I had a post removed for saying that Carnival was not a dressy as Cunard so it wasn't necessary to pack a tux or gowns. But it's still true!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I had a post removed for saying that Carnival was not a dressy as Cunard so it wasn't necessary to pack a tux or gowns. But it's still true!

Oh, oops! No offense to anyone or inaccuracy intended, mods! I was literally told by my friend who has loads of Carnival cruises under her belt that for the "Elegant Nights" on Carnival I could get away with dressing up a little black dress or wearing a blouse with sparkles and some nice-looking pants or something like that and a jacket and tie is recommended but optional for men. We have a standard "travel dressy" thing we do that I figured would work fine from what I gathered.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, midnightferret said:

Oh, oops! No offense to anyone or inaccuracy intended, mods! I was literally told by my friend who has loads of Carnival cruises under her belt that for the "Elegant Nights" on Carnival I could get away with dressing up a little black dress or wearing a blouse with sparkles and some nice-looking pants or something like that and a jacket and tie is recommended but optional for men. We have a standard "travel dressy" thing we do that I figured would work fine from what I gathered.

Fact is dress up night on Carnival is not formal at all.  I think that is pretty much the case these days with most mainstream lines, but Carnival led the charge.  

On 7/9/2023 at 3:12 PM, midnightferret said:

What you're anticipating is perfectly reasonable.  We made a conscious decision years ago ONLY to own carry-on luggage.  For a one-week cruise, my husband and I share a piece of carry-on luggage, and we each carry on a small backpack.  For 10 days, we might take two carry-ons, or we might do a single carry-on + a small duffel bag.    

Yes, cruising does have its own set of rules.  Here's how we see things: 

- Shoes are your worst enemy when you're trying to pack light.  I wear my tennis shoes to board, and I pack a pair of wedges that match all my dinner dresses + a pair of walking sandals.  Depending upon our plans, I might add my water shoes.  

- My husband's shoes are a bigger problem because they are ... well, bigger.  He boards wearing tennis shoes and packs a pair of black deck shoes, which match black jeans for dinner.  He likes water socks for the beach, and -- unlike water shoes -- they pack flat.  

- For 10 days for myself, here's what I'd bring:  3 pair of shorts + 2-3 tops for each pair ... 1 pair white jeans + 3 tops to match ... 4 casual dresses ... 3 swimsuits + cover ups.  Plus a nightgown and workout outfit.  I'd wear one pair of the shorts + a top and pack the rest.  

- How I make this work:  I hang clothes after I've worn them once -- often on a cruise you put on an outfit, go to breakfast and 1-2 hours later you change into your swimsuit for the rest of the day; no reason that barely-worn outfit can't be worn again.  When we're going ashore, and I expect to get hot /sweaty, I always wear an outfit that I've already worn /will be finished with after this day ashore.  Might as well save a completely fresh outfit for after the shore trip is over and I've showered.  

- I sometimes wash something in the sink (using the ship's shampoo).  

- Take your time packing and fold everything nice and small; this can make a huge difference.  

- Clothing aside, we don't take a whole lot more.  Our toiletries are small, but I do bring my own shampoo -- the ship's stuff is pretty rough.  We do bring a small camping fan that folds flat.  

On 7/9/2023 at 3:25 PM, crystalspin said:

Because I had heard that the ship would wash AND dry on hot only and ruin your clothes!

I've heard that, and I don't have extensive experience with the laundry service, but we haven't had any trouble.  I only send out things like my husband's khaki shorts or boxers.  Being a good Southerner, I have a lot of thin, gauzy tops, and they wash out easily in the sink.  

6 hours ago, midnightferret said:

on Carnival I could get away with dressing up a little black dress or wearing a blouse with sparkles and some nice-looking pants or something like that and a jacket and tie is recommended but optional for men. 

We sail Royal Caribbean: 

- What you're describing is average on formal night; that is, the majority of people will be wearing this.  Maybe 30% of the crowd will be dressed nicer ... but tuxedos are a thing of the past.  And maybe 20% will be dressed as if it's any other night. 

- I don't get the love for the "little black dress" ... does anything more boring exist?  On formal night, probably 90% of the women will be dressed in black. 

- On a non-formal night, most ladies will be in sundresses or pants /dressy tops and most men will be in nice jeans /khakis and button-down shirts /polos.  Few people come to dinner looking like slobs, but -- at the same time -- few people will be "dressed to the nines".  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Fact is dress up night on Carnival is not formal at all.  I think that is pretty much the case these days with most mainstream lines, but Carnival led the charge.  

Actually, I think NCL led the charge.  EM

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Actually, I think NCL led the charge.  EM

I think they were the first mainstream line to actually officially adopt casual dress standards.    

Thanks so much for all the advice! This is incredibly helpful!

12 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't get the love for the "little black dress" ... does anything more boring exist?  On formal night, probably 90% of the women will be dressed in black. 

LOL I don't think anyone loves it really but I'm travelling light and I have zero reason to try and impress anyone. Growing up I was taught it's a staple wardrobe piece but in fairness the women who taught me were older then than I am now. However, it's a testament to how uninterested I am in fashion that I'm operating on decades old advice! Ideally I would wear pants, as I don't prefer dresses these days, but I think it would be simpler for packing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In April we did 18 nights with carry-ons. The trip was 13 nights on a ship, and 4 nights in London where we dressed up. We sail Celebrity and yes, people wear nice cocktails dresses, suits, etc. as well as more casual clothes on dressy nights.

My advice? Pack for a week and rewear things. I took one dressy/sparkly dress and wore it twice. Use the ship's laundry. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to wear something different every day or you can't wear the same thing to dinner because honestly, NO ONE NOTICES and if they do, do you actually care? 🤭

Celebrity doesn't have self-service laundry so I sent out laundry twice (wash, dry, fold), and also sent some stuff for dry cleaning. We do get some laundry service as part of our loyalty package so I wound up spending about $35 on laundry.

I also washed things in the sink and will caution that it takes a long time for clothes to dry in the damp sea air or damp air in the washroom. One particular top took 3 days to dry, and it only takes about 12 hours to dry here in my home climate where the air is dry. Next time, I'll pack more clothes that dry quickly and fewer cotton jerseys. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to wear something different every day or you can't wear the same thing to dinner because honestly, NO ONE NOTICES and if they do, do you actually care? 🤭

This gets my vote for best comment of the week!  👍

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2023 at 8:09 AM, mrgabriel said:

My advice? Pack for a week and rewear things. I took one dressy/sparkly dress and wore it twice. Use the ship's laundry. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to wear something different every day or you can't wear the same thing to dinner because honestly, NO ONE NOTICES and if they do, do you actually care? 🤭

I feel like if people are worried about what I'm wearing (as long as I'm decent and presentable and not too far outside of any communicated dress code) they are probably not having a very good vacation? I have a capsule wardrobe and most of my beach and trail/travel wear is quick dry. I am not trying to win any prizes hahaha

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 3:43 PM, midnightferret said:

I feel like if people are worried about what I'm wearing (as long as I'm decent and presentable and not too far outside of any communicated dress code) they are probably not having a very good vacation? I have a capsule wardrobe and most of my beach and trail/travel wear is quick dry. I am not trying to win any prizes hahaha

I agree with you, but I'll throw out one exception: 

On our last cruise I brought along a great tee-shirt that my department members gave me when I retired.  It reads "RETIRED ENGLISH TEACHER /Fix the Grammar Yourself."  We were back from an island stop, and I'd showered and was wearing that tee and Sophie shorts for the afternoon /planning to nap, then hit the gym.  While my husband showered, I went down to the Promenade to pick up pizza and drinks, and EVERYWHERE -- in the elevator, in the pizza line, in the Promenade -- people commented on that shirt.  I said to myself, "Okay, can't re-wear this. Too unique."  

So, yeah, the things I typically wear on a cruise -- my pink polka-dot top, my chambray top, my orange gauzy top -- I can wear and rewear.  They're cute but not memorable.  

On 7/21/2023 at 9:04 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

I agree with you, but I'll throw out one exception: 

On our last cruise I brought along a great tee-shirt that my department members gave me when I retired.  It reads "RETIRED ENGLISH TEACHER /Fix the Grammar Yourself."  We were back from an island stop, and I'd showered and was wearing that tee and Sophie shorts for the afternoon /planning to nap, then hit the gym.  While my husband showered, I went down to the Promenade to pick up pizza and drinks, and EVERYWHERE -- in the elevator, in the pizza line, in the Promenade -- people commented on that shirt.  I said to myself, "Okay, can't re-wear this. Too unique."  

So, yeah, the things I typically wear on a cruise -- my pink polka-dot top, my chambray top, my orange gauzy top -- I can wear and rewear.  They're cute but not memorable.  

My husband noticed the same thing on our last cruise. There were a couple of people who were wearing really memorable items and he could pick them out of a crowd from 3 blocks away. 😂 

I tested packing for a 15 day cruise in a carry on and could not make it work. The clothing isn’t an issue, it’s the flying with liquids that limited me. 

on cruises I enjoy doing my makeup for dinner and couldn’t fit my essentials in the little bag they limit you on.

• 3 weeks later...

I really do not care how little luggage another cruiser has, nor with what he/she wears (as long as it is not flouting a published dress code which other cruisers are entitled to expect will be observed).

My real concern is the tendency of “carry-on” only fliers to exceed reasonable limits - with three or four pieces which hog the available overhead space and block the aisles as they lug them on and off the plane.

I do wonder why so many want to boast about their ability to do it:  have they nothing else to feel good about?

Edited by navybankerteacher