Capt Nigel

karl_nj

Captain Kate is great (and gets all of the love on social media, due to all of her efforts in that area), but I do have to say I was pretty impressed with Capt Nigel Smyth on Summit last week. Much like Capt Kate, he was very visible around the ship, he had informative and entertaining morning announcements from the bridge, and also gave a very interesting enrichment presentation on the last day.

When it all comes down to it, the most important job the captain has is to keep the ship and her passengers safe, but it's certainly a nice bonus to sail on a ship with a personable captain. Both Capt Kate and Capt Nigel are quite different from the "Generic Greek Captain" with perfect hair and great sunglasses, but otherwise rarely seen, that I vaguely recall from my first cruise on Celebrity years ago.

• Like 5

Don't forget the jokers, both of them.

There are some captains who are very reserved but in the 30 years cruising with Celebrity we have met only one invisible one.

2 hours ago, C 2 C said:

Don't forget the jokers, both of them.

There are some captains who are very reserved but in the 30 years cruising with Celebrity we have met only one invisible one.

This is off the subject -- but I recognize who you are!  You have reverted to a very old Cruise Critic name.  Nice to have you return to the boards.

• Like 2

many great Captains on X..Always enjoy their presentations and meeting them around the ship!

i dislike when X makes them hawk tickets for drawings at the shops..seems demeaning!

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 4:08 PM, Northern Aurora said:

This is off the subject -- but I recognize who you are!  You have reverted to a very old Cruise Critic name.  Nice to have you return to the boards.

Yes, welcome back!  To the boards and to Celebrity!

Edited by phoenix_dream

I also enjoyed sailing with Captain Nigel on the Summit in June. I saw him around the ship more than any other captain I've sailed with, and he gave both the presentation the OP mentioned and a Q&A with the hotel director. 

I'm perfectly happy with any captain who gets us where we're going safely, but some do offer a bonus with their personal interactions and visibility.

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

Captain Leo is another visible, engaging Captain we love it when he is onboard.

I agree! We've sailed with Captain Leo on 4 continents (3 with you). His announcements are actually worth listening to. 

Earlier this year, we had Captain Leo for 3 consecutive cruises out of Sydney, diesmbarked for a wonderful self-drive tour of New Zealand, then re-boarded to find that Captain Leo had gone home and been replaced by Captain Zizis. The new captain absolutely, positively did everything necessary for a Captain to do. We never felt any less safe, for certain, though the difference in personalities could not have been more stark. 

Captains who clearly love their jobs certainly can enhance the experience. 

Life is beautiful!