Seabourn v Silversea

One time, at least 4 or 5 years ago, I was walking through The Restaurant in the afternoon and saw a few staff sitting at various dining tables busily looking at printouts with customer names and photos in order to memorize names.  Apparently there was a contest for staff who remembers the most names.

26 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Of course they are - would you be able to remember all the countless passengers you had met over the past few years?  Although they often do remember you when they see you again, and I for one think it is a pleasant thing to do, and am glad that Seabourn does encourage it and give them the help they need.

I totally agree.  And the fact that a crew member we had never met before was able to pull up our wine preference from a previous cruise was very impressive.  I totally applaud the fact that they have computer help.  I did not mean to imply otherwise.  We have sometimes sailed on SB where WE remembered a crew member by name (of course they also have nametags) and he did not remember us.  That's ok too.  

• Like 1

Hi not sure where to ask this... I'm considering a Caribbean cruise on Silver Moon but after reading the comments here and on 2 popular review sites about inedible food, itinerary changes etc. I'm scared to book. Seabourn has better reviews but Itinerary is the reason why I'm thinking about cruising (my first cruise) and I like those on Silversea best. Do missed ports due to "weather" happen quite often? Are included excursions that bad? packed buses, canceled last minute etc

It seems things have really gone downhill on Silversea since last year. Other cruises I'm considering are Explora, Regent and maybe Celebrity. Thank you

Most impressive name recall story.   We're leaving our hotel room in Auckland.  Young lady cleaning rooms a few doors away greets us by name.  She was our suite attendant on a SB trip four years earlier.  She had the itinerary and dates down.  We were clueless.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, frogfish12 said:

Hi not sure where to ask this... I'm considering a Caribbean cruise on Silver Moon but after reading the comments here and on 2 popular review sites about inedible food, itinerary changes etc. I'm scared to book. Seabourn has better reviews but Itinerary is the reason why I'm thinking about cruising (my first cruise) and I like those on Silversea best. Do missed ports due to "weather" happen quite often? Are included excursions that bad? packed buses, canceled last minute etc

It seems things have really gone downhill on Silversea since last year. Other cruises I'm considering are Explora, Regent and maybe Celebrity. Thank you

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the reviews. Some of them are just ridiculous. Just book whatever itinerary works the best for you. They are both wonderful cruise lines. Celebrity is in a different galaxy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frogfish12 said:

Both Silversea and Seabourn are very good cruise lines.  Your experience will vary as every cruise is different.  Many who cruise Silversea suggest staying with the newer ships Muse, Dawn, Nova, etc.  Others prefer the older smaller ships.  It is the same with Seabourn.  While we prefer Ovation and Encore, we are sailing with Sojourn next summer.  No one likes crowded buses, but they happen.  There are always last minute cancellations of ports, excursions etc.  It just happens.  Whatever you choose, you will probably have a very good time.  Personally, we do not book Caribbean cruises because we try to avoid seven day cruises with party people.  Perhaps that is what you are seeking.  Everyone is different.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 10:27 AM, markham said:

I don’t know enough about how these decisions/judgments are made but I have to believe that Silversea gets high marks for 2 reasons:

Firstly, despite having a set of older ships which in all likelihood suit many of Silversea’s veteran customers, it is the verve and upgraded facilities deriving from the Muse, Moon, Dawn, and now Endeavour and Nova and soon Ray that make people excited. Incredible options in the layouts and food for starters; and

Secondly, how Seabourn has drifted and not for the best. The classic ships have suffered over the past few years so many cutbacks that it is not necessarily considered “luxury”. This needs to be - and apparently is- being addressed by the new president. And, apart from the newly launched expedition ship Pursuit and year old Venture, Seabourn ships are getting old and reveal their design limitations. No new classic ships to get excited about.

BTW, the Regent story is more like that of Silversea. Reportedly they have impressive and new ships that sustain the brand. And they can.

Why not check out their websites to see.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Regent new ships are amazing in so many ways: design, restaurants, space, walking track, bars, service, etc.

Yes bigger than E class Seabourn ships but bigger spaces.  Service was excellent never a fail which is why we have multiple future Regent cruises booked.  

Edited by 2SailingNomads
Clarification
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 9:26 AM, markham said:

Jimmycruiser,

Have you seen the video presentation of Silver Nova? If not, please do so. It’s on the Silversea site. Then you too may be as excited as I am by the concept. IMO it is a game changer for many/most people who are looking for excellence in design and a special treat.

We've watched a number of YouTube videos about the Silver Nova, including the one on the Silversea web site.  Also a good tour provided by YouTube cruise guy.  All very impressive.  Includes all of the features we loved on the Silver Moon, but several have been Improved.  And all of those lovely nooks and crannies outside on deck.  Looks like a lovely ship and experience, so someday with the right itinerary, we will sail!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tv24 said:

We've watched a number of YouTube videos about the Silver Nova, including the one on the Silversea web site.  Also a good tour provided by YouTube cruise guy.  All very impressive.  Includes all of the features we loved on the Silver Moon, but several have been Improved.  And all of those lovely nooks and crannies outside on deck.  Looks like a lovely ship and experience, so someday with the right itinerary, we will sail!

I have also looked at the Nova videos and I understand if you like SS you will be impressed with the new ship but we were not impressed with SS so a newer more spacious ship would not change what we did not like about SS. To each their own.

18 hours ago, lincslady said:

Of course they are - would you be able to remember all the countless passengers you had met over the past few years?  Although they often do remember you when they see you again, and I for one think it is a pleasant thing to do, and am glad that Seabourn does encourage it and give them the help they need.

lincslady,I agree.   I should have been have been clearer in my comment.  When I mentioned other venues, I was referring to entering the Grand Salon, Club, hallways, etc.  No computers are available on the spot.  All that has happened within the first few days on board.  

Been to many countries so I'm looking for islands/places that I've missed and off the beaten path destinations. Saw a very good itinerary about 2 months ago: Seabourn's "Jewels of West Africa", 29 days with only one departure January 2025. A few weeks later when I looked again it became "unavailable". I'm hoping Seabourn offers it again in 2026 with like 4 sailings. I can't book that far in advance and it will likely be sold out again quickly. When does 2026 itinerary come out? Is anyone on this Jan 2025 sailing?

The demand is there, I wish the cruise companies offer more in-depth Africa itinerary, for ex Madagascar deserves at least one week but the cruises only visit like 2 ports (so max 2 days there), same situation for Seychelles etc, the only in depth I've seen is South Africa

• Like 1

How much does “brand loyalty” perks influence travel decisions?

As you can see from my signature, I have pretty much settled on Seabourn for ocean cruises ( and Uniworld for river cruises.) From what I read, there might be minimal differences/advantages of SS or other lines at similar price points.  But discounts on cruises, OBC and other perks offered to me as a guest and stockholder are enough to keep me from “jumping ship”.  

and - a second point - i know seabourn.  I am familiar with the ships.the routines and what to expect.  I am at the point of my life that I do not want surprises or uncertainty during my trips away from home.   And it seems the differences noted in this thread are not enough  to take the risk.  

• Like 6

23 hours ago, frogfish12 said:

Been to many countries so I'm looking for islands/places that I've missed and off the beaten path destinations. Saw a very good itinerary about 2 months ago: Seabourn's "Jewels of West Africa", 29 days with only one departure January 2025. A few weeks later when I looked again it became "unavailable". I'm hoping Seabourn offers it again in 2026 with like 4 sailings. I can't book that far in advance and it will likely be sold out again quickly. When does 2026 itinerary come out? Is anyone on this Jan 2025 sailing?

The demand is there, I wish the cruise companies offer more in-depth Africa itinerary, for ex Madagascar deserves at least one week but the cruises only visit like 2 ports (so max 2 days there), same situation for Seychelles etc, the only in depth I've seen is South Africa

If you're okay with somethng less luxurious, you might look at Azamara. While not in depth,  this itinerary has several ports in Western Africa, including an overnight in Walvis Bay, Namibia. After that, is this one, with time in northwest Africa and the Canaries. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JPH814 said:

How much does “brand loyalty” perks influence travel decisions? 

More weight given to auto rentals and hotels.  They are basically disposable.

I think it foolish to add much weight to cruise decisions.   The perks are nice, but sitting on a ship for two weeks because you get free laundry is counterproductive if you would rather be elsewhere.

Our brand loyalty only extends to the current cruise🤪.  We are always looking for new, fun experiences which also means cruising on many brands.  For example, while we are currently on the Quest, we will soon be cruising on Explora Journeys, Princess, Oceania and SS.  Variety means completely different menus, changes in entertainment, etc.  

Hank

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, saminina said:

More weight given to auto rentals and hotels.  They are basically disposable.

I think it foolish to add much weight to cruise decisions.   The perks are nice, but sitting on a ship for two weeks because you get free laundry is counterproductive if you would rather be elsewhere.

If it was a free bag of laundry, I would not give it much weight. 

In my upcoming 14 day cruise I have over $1500 in perks because it is a Seabourn Cruise.  

Booking on board saved us $716

Refer a friend program $500 on board credit

CCL Stock gave us $250 on board credit.

10% discount on excursions saved us $106. (and we only booked 4 through Seabourn.)

This does not mention the 10% on onboard wine purchases. 

And yes - the free bag of laundry, Actually, 2 because it is a 14 day cruise.

Again, if some other line offered something Seabourn did not have or it was comparable and a clearly better value, I might swatch.  But how can I not consider these factors - plus, as I said, the comfort of knowing what to expect when I book with Seabourn.

• Like 1

@MamaFej I'm very interested in Azamara because the reviews have been good. I liked the Seabourn itinerary because it has many ports and some of the ports are hard to access land-based or lack comfortable accomodations. Don't think the Azamara one works but thanks so much for your suggestion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JPH814 said:

In my upcoming 14 day cruise I have over $1500 in perks because it is a Seabourn Cruise.  

Booking on board saved us $716

Refer a friend program $500 on board credit

CCL Stock gave us $250 on board credit.

10% discount on excursions saved us $106. (and we only booked 4 through Seabourn.)

This does not mention the 10% on onboard wine purchases. 

Don't forget the Milestone awards too, which gives you a complimentary cruise of up to 7 days when your Seabourn Club account reaches 140 Redeemable Sailed Days. Your 14 day cruise moves you 10% closer to the target.

On 8/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, frogfish12 said:

We booked a cruise on Silversea for March 2025, from Capetown to Doha. Stops in Madagascar and the Seychelles among other stops. Maybe that’ll work for you. 

• Thanks 1

There is no question SB has a great perks offering.  And that 10% wine discount goes to 25% when you hit diamond.  Or, is it diamond elite?  Whatever.   You are comfortable with the product, so it is a no brainer for you.   I'm sitting on a sizeable OBC.  Enough to enjoy great wines while on board.  If they actually had the wines on the premium list while I am on board.   Today, I'm not willing to risk it.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:26 AM, markham said:

Jimmycruiser,

Have you seen the video presentation of Silver Nova? If not, please do so. It’s on the Silversea site. Then you too may be as excited as I am by the concept. IMO it is a game changer for many/most people who are looking for excellence in design and a special treat.

Actually looked at it yesterday for some reason. Does look amazing. Totally agree.
However, We are not ship excursions travelers, so the upcharge included in the pricing for that is of no value to us as with Regent. I think different value propositions for different people and not one right nor wrong. 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 2:48 AM, saminina said:

Of course, you have the same issue with Seabourn for different reasons.   The best crew have jumped ship.   Not a problem on last Endeavor trip, but very noticeable on Sojourn cruise eight months ago.

I realize a lot of people left the industry during Covid to survive and stayed away. But if the best crew have jum[ed ship elsewhere, where did they go?

Scenic, Windstar, Explora, scattered about.  It's always been a transient industry, but it's been a mass exodus with SB.   Long before Covid, we spent time on Sojourn and found our favorite bartender and executive chef from that cruise on board Europa.   We all departed Sojourn and hopped on Europa within a month of one another.   Strange to go shopping with the chef in Walvis Bay and reconnect a month later with a different company.  That's the fun part of cruising.

• Like 1