Laundry service question

I have not yet used the laundry service as a platinum perk. However, in Feb, I’m going on a five day cruise, returning to Galveston for two days and then going on another five day cruise. (On Royal) I wash my clothes in cold or warm water and dry them on low heat.  Is this even a possibility with the laundry service or do I need to avoid it so all my clothes don’t shrink? is everything washed and dried on hot? 

I do have a hotel with guest laundry machines for my in between nights but if I can get it done for free on the ship that would be better. 

While there are no 'special requests' for Carnival laundry that I've ever known, it has always been returned perfectly fine for undergarments, T shirts, and basic items. I would never send through anything even approaching 'nice' or delicate.  And yes, it's hot water.... probably a good idea as your clothes are mesh bagged and washed in large common load industrial washers with others folk's items in the same load. 

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, jsglow said:

While there are no 'special requests' for Carnival laundry that I've ever known, it has always been returned perfectly fine for undergarments, T shirts, and basic items. I would never send through anything even approaching 'nice' or delicate.  And yes, it's hot water.... probably a good idea as your clothes are mesh bagged and washed in large common load industrial washers with others folk's items in the same load. 

This is correct.  Hot water and hot dryers.  

We have sent in a wide variety of things to be laundered in the laundry bag over the years from jeans to graphic t-shirts and have experienced no issues with fading, shrinking or any other issue. As mentioned, we don't put anything in the laundry that requires delicate handling. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We have sent in a wide variety of things to be laundered in the laundry bag over the years from jeans to graphic t-shirts and have experienced no issues with fading, shrinking or any other issue. As mentioned, we don't put anything in the laundry that requires delicate handling. 

We use the service on every single cruise.

• Like 3

They dump your clothes into a sheer laundry bag and wash it in hot water along with everyone else's, and the same for drying.

I remember one cruise I bought one of the sale T-shirts and had it washed (I cannot stand my clothes to smell like stale smoke). When it came back the graphic was already starting to peel off. Cheap shirt, life goes on.

I love using the service to wash my cruise clothes midway through the cruise, or near the end so I have less to wash when I get home.

How do we know everything is washed and dried hot - is it posted somewhere in their laundry service description or mentioned during a ship tour or Q&A?

Just curious why the statements it is all hot water and hot dry.

I've always been on a ship where I could do my own, but my next is Venezia where there is no self serve, so I'll be using laundry service.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment

6 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

How do we know everything is washed and dried hot - is it posted somewhere in their laundry service description or mentioned during a ship tour or Q&A?

I've always been on a ship where I could do my own, but my next is Venezia where there is no self serve, so I'll be using laundry service.

Health regulations. Needs to be sanitized to prevent the spread of things like E Coli since someone's undies will be "dirty"  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cltcruiser said:

Probably the best platinum perk. We use it every cruise. Cuts the packing in half. We have never had any problems with damage or anything. 

We use it, too, every cruise on a different line. They'll do special requests like cold wash or hang dry. 

Guess I'll have to figure that - don't want to bring 2 weeks of clothes, but don't want them to shrink in hot water. Hmmm...🤔

In my case I have never had any issues with platinum laundry service either. My clothes seem to shrink not because of hot water but I believe the buffet and ice cream could be the source for shrinkage. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

4 hours ago, AllenF said:

In my case I have never had any issues with platinum laundry service either. My clothes seem to shrink not because of hot water but I believe the buffet and ice cream could be the source for shrinkage. 

Aack! Now you’ve caught me out! I was going to use the hot water as my excuse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:00 AM, Haljo1935 said:

I'm disappointed Venezia doesn't have self service laundry. I have shirts I have to air dry so they don't shrink.  I'm going to have to bring my old shirts that I dry in medium heat or just bring alot of clothes for my 15 day cruise in September. 

I used to use the perk and packed a little lighter for a few years.  For a 7 day cruise I might pack 5 outfits and send the clothes we wore down and the first 2 days cloths (just shorts and shirts, no undies or anything), and then we were set for the rest of the cruise.

I will say I stopped because I did have some issues.  Anything that was little lighter in color (like yellow) always seemed to be very grey and I also ended up with a stain on something.  

Like others have said, your clothes go in their own mesh bag and then are washed together with a bunch of others.

If I find I am going to need to do laundry and I can't pack enough clothes, I will just do a quick load onboard myself.  I have a "laundry" pack I take on every trip no matter where I go just in case.  Some powdered laundry soap (since we always do carry on) and a couple dryer sheets in a quart zip lock folded over.  I find that around 9pm on the ship the laundry room is dead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have some upcoming cruises booked on Luminosa. We were somewhat disappointed to find out it does not have a self-service laundry. As we will be on 3 cruises, back-to-back-to-back on her, we will be in need of getting some laundry done.

Does anyone know the price structure of having them do a load of laundry? Do they price each item separately? Do they have a day when there is a 'laundry special"? We are only at Gold level.

1 hour ago, Envelope21 said:

We have some upcoming cruises booked on Luminosa. We were somewhat disappointed to find out it does not have a self-service laundry. As we will be on 3 cruises, back-to-back-to-back on her, we will be in need of getting some laundry done.

Does anyone know the price structure of having them do a load of laundry? Do they price each item separately? Do they have a day when there is a 'laundry special"? We are only at Gold level.

I should preface this by saying that I haven't been on Carnival in over three years, and things may have changed.  I welcome any corrections from those with more up-to-date experiences.

Laundry loads are mostly done through bags that are roughly the size of paper grocery bags on land (but more fragile).  They're $15 a bag for those who are Gold or below (Platinum cruisers gets a certain quantity done for free, depending on how long the cruise is), which is a special that I think you can get any time.

You can also have laundry service done by piece.  IIRC, they're between $2 and $6 per piece.  There should be a form in each cabin listing the exact prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 4:05 AM, sparks1093 said:

Agree.