Would you take a 2 yr old plus 2 of 5 yr olds on a Regent Navigator Cruise ?

Another “no”, this time from the standpoint of the children. Age 2 is too young for the child to enjoy any cruise. Age 5 is too young for the child to enjoy a Regent cruise. As the children would not enjoy a cruise on the Navigator, it would be a waste of money to subject them to it. At what age might a child actually like a Regent cruise? Well, our grand daughter, who turns 12 tomorrow, was on the Explorer in Alaska last month. I was concerned that she wouldn’t enjoy it. But she is mature for her age, and she loved it for the educational and culinary experience. When she was 6 and 8, she was on Disney cruises and liked them too — at that time. But, as she says, she is too old for Disney now. 

• Like 1

We did many cruises when the kids were younger and I would also say no. Disney was incredible but our #2 was just turned 2 on our 1st sailing and he wasn't allowed in the kiddie program. Only babysitting so he missed out on the incredible pirate ship and amazing kids club. From then on we went on NCL as we added kids because they do take them at 2. Kids want to be in those programs, shopping on an island or whatever excursion isn't as fun as what is scheduled for them. 

I am concerned our turning 22 year old is going to be bored on Regent this fall but he is excited. Maybe he can hang with the entertainment staff!

• Like 1

We were quite shocked to meet and become friends with a couple on Navigator who are across the hall from this family on deck 6  and the constant screeching emitting from said 2 year old means they will no longer sail on Regent 

The odd times  we have heard said child schreech was enough ...no we are not anti children ...have 2 of our own and 6 grandkids we cared for till they started school ...but time comes when a screeching child on something like a Regent Cruise spoils things 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

We were quite shocked to meet and become friends with a couple on Navigator who are across the hall from this family on deck 6  and the constant screeching emitting from said 2 year old means they will no longer sail on Regent 

The odd times  we have heard said child schreech was enough ...no we are not anti children ...have 2 of our own and 6 grandkids we cared for till they started school ...but time comes when a screeching child on something like a Regent Cruise spoils things 

Anyone, of any age, who cannot behave properly should not be allowed on board a Regent ship.

• Like 2

This is right. Children of 2 years old do not belong on ANY cruise, and certainly not on Regent. A child of 5 years old belongs only on a Disney cruise — or one like it. Children misbehave primarily when there is nothing interesting to them to do. And there is little on a Regent cruise for them to do. As I posted before, my 12 years old grand daughter loved her Explorer Alaska cruise, and I think she disturbed nobody. But we never took her on any cruise (except for Disney) when she was younger. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Let me tell you about the 3 out of control toddlers on silver moon with me now

and they have Nannies

a luxury cruise is no place for small children 

Sounds like some of the adults are also out of control

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to question why anyone would consider taking small children on a cruise line obviously geared toward ADULT luxury cruising when there are so many other cruise lines dedicated to FAMILY cruising?????  (i.e. kids scheduled activities) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

I have to question why anyone would consider taking small children on a cruise line obviously geared toward ADULT luxury cruising when there are so many other cruise lines dedicated to FAMILY cruising?????  (i.e. kids scheduled activities) 

Because some families like to be together. I will continue to make the point however that anyone, regardless of age, who goes on Regent should adhere to Regent's rules. As long as Regent allows kids, they will be there and if they are well-behaved, we need to respect that. Targeting a group because of their age in not appropriate if the cruise line welcomes them. Isn't it better to expect a behavior standard that applies to all guests?

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Because some families like to be together. 

But they can be together on the larger, family-style cruise ships as well.

I do understand your point:  If Regent advertises for children, then you should expect that some people will bring their children, and they will be welcome onboard.  But they will also be expected to adhere to those rules.  

But the larger ships just have more resources and facilities dedicated to the needs of families with small children.  Unlike Regent.  

4 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I do understand your point:  If Regent advertises for children, then you should expect that some people will bring their children, and they will be welcome onboard.  But they will also be expected to adhere to those rules.  

But the larger ships just have more resources and facilities dedicated to the needs of families with small children.  Unlike Regent.  

All true - but when grandma and grandpa won't set foot on a big ship and offer to pay for all - all go. My point is simply that everyone needs to behave on board....kids and adults alike. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

All true - but when grandma and grandpa won't set foot on a big ship and offer to pay for all - all go. My point is simply that everyone needs to behave on board....kids and adults alike. 

I've known grandparents like that.  Very selfish.  But they love their version of the Golden Rule:  "He who has the gold, makes the rule."

My take on this has always been that the parents are putting their idea of a nice time above that of their small children, which most of us have the good sense not to do for those few years when they would possibly enjoy a Disney type cruise, but not a boring grown-up one.   In other words, being selfish.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I've known grandparents like that.  Very selfish.  But they love their version of the Golden Rule:  "He who has the gold, makes the rule."

I disagree - it sounds like they are being very generous. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My take on this has always been that the parents are putting their idea of a nice time above that of their small children, which most of us have the good sense not to do for those few years when they would possibly enjoy a Disney type cruise, but not a boring grown-up one.   In other words, being selfish.

I think if we all accept proper behavior as a standard then it shouldn't matter what age the guests are...unless you simply don't like kids. In that case, perhaps try a line that doesn't allow them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I disagree - it sounds like they are being very generous. 

No.  They are being selfish.  They are being "generous" on their own terms - usually a "take it or leave it" scenario.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

No.  They are being selfish.  They are being "generous" on their own terms - usually a "take it or leave it" scenario.  

That's your opinion - we will have to agree to disagree.

35 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

How is it being selfish?   I grew up cruising on luxury lines.  At the age of 5 I took my first cruise, Royal Viking with my family to Alaska.  From there, my family would cruise at least twice a year along with other travels around the world.   This opened my eyes even at a young age to different cultures and history.  What better education can children have than actual experiences around the world?  A disney cruise does not offer these same experiences.  My sister and I always found things to do (despite the cruises not having kids programs) and made friends with the adults on board, where we'd end up playing cards or doing puzzles among other things.

If you want to avoid children, there are lines like Viking that don't allow people under 18 on board.    Otherwise be ready to see children on board a Regent ship.   Regent does cater to children during the alaska and holiday sailings, where they have kids groups with staffed supervision.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Snore42 said:

How is it being selfish?   I grew up cruising on luxury lines.  At the age of 5 I took my first cruise, Royal Viking with my family to Alaska.  From there, my family would cruise at least twice a year along with other travels around the world.   This opened my eyes even at a young age to different cultures and history.  What better education can children have than actual experiences around the world?  A disney cruise does not offer these same experiences.  My sister and I always found things to do (despite the cruises not having kids programs) and made friends with the adults on board, where we'd end up playing cards or doing puzzles among other things.

If you want to avoid children, there are lines like Viking that don't allow people under 18 on board.    Otherwise be ready to see children on board a Regent ship.   Regent does cater to children during the alaska and holiday sailings, where they have kids groups with staffed supervision.  

I think lincslady hit it right on the head (see above).

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

I agree 100%.  I'm a grandparent of 5 aged 12-18.  We took the whole family on Royal Caribbean in 2017, grandkids were 6-12 and it was a "kids sail free" promotion.  I was able to get 3 Crown Loft suites in a row and open the balconies.  It was the cruise of a lifetime for the grandkids!  We were on an Oasis Class ship and they had access to zip lines, flow riders, kids only pool complex, teen programs, water slides, as well as river rafting in port, the suite only beach at the private island.  They still talk about it.  And they're "hooked."  All 5 keep asking when we're doing another cruise.  

As for us (the grandparents) we had the quiet serenity of the Suite lounge, our cabins were on a private floor, we had access to the suite only beach at the private island so no crowds or rowdiness.  And all of this cost about what it would have cost for TWO people on Regent (there were 11 of us).  

• Like 2

I continue to be a bit perplexed as to how so many seem to think of “kids” as being a homogeneous group. Kids cannot enjoy themselves on Regent.  Kids would be bored on Regent.  Kids can’t control themselves for long periods of time.  That is surely true for some people’s kids, it is surely not true for others.

When my kids were preteens, we started taking them on mass market lines, because that is what we could afford at the time and have taken them on quite a few.   Our little birdies have long since flown the nest, and my wife and I are at a point in our lives in which we are so blessed to be in a position in which we are able to cruise on luxury lines.  When we do, we so often express to each other how much we would love to be able to share the joys of luxury cruising with our (now adult) children. They would love and appreciate it.  But these children now come with their own little ones.

So how long must I wait to be able to give my kids this experience and share it with them?  When the grands are teens?  Some teens would have a great time on a Regent cruise.  Other teens would hate it.  Teens are also not a homogeneous group.  Or do I just have to give up on this idea?

Our grandson is now 6 1/2 and our granddaughter is 3 ½.  The little boy would do fine on a Regent cruise, and I would have no qualms about taking him.  The little girl- not so much.  If and when we and her parents think that she is ready, I will absolutely take the entire family on a luxury cruise and will do so without hesitation and without a shred of guilt.  Which, by the way, does not preclude me from taking the family to other vacation spots at other times, be it on land or sea.

Frankly, I think that calling people selfish because they think that what works best for their families does not coincide with what works best for yours is a bit over the top.  But call me selfish if you’d like, I really don’t care.  However, I respectfully suggest thinking twice before passing judgment about other people’s choices, provided that it does not affect you.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, boblerm said:

I continue to be a bit perplexed as to how so many seem to think of “kids” as being a homogeneous group. Kids cannot enjoy themselves on Regent.  Kids would be bored on Regent.  Kids can’t control themselves for long periods of time.  That is surely true for some people’s kids, it is surely not true for others.

When my kids were preteens, we started taking them on mass market lines, because that is what we could afford at the time and have taken them on quite a few.   Our little birdies have long since flown the nest, and my wife and I are at a point in our lives in which we are so blessed to be in a position in which we are able to cruise on luxury lines.  When we do, we so often express to each other how much we would love to be able to share the joys of luxury cruising with our (now adult) children. They would love and appreciate it.  But these children now come with their own little ones.

So how long must I wait to be able to give my kids this experience and share it with them?  When the grands are teens?  Some teens would have a great time on a Regent cruise.  Other teens would hate it.  Teens are also not a homogeneous group.  Or do I just have to give up on this idea?

Our grandson is now 6 1/2 and our granddaughter is 3 ½.  The little boy would do fine on a Regent cruise, and I would have no qualms about taking him.  The little girl- not so much.  If and when we and her parents think that she is ready, I will absolutely take the entire family on a luxury cruise and will do so without hesitation and without a shred of guilt.  Which, by the way, does not preclude me from taking the family to other vacation spots at other times, be it on land or sea.

Frankly, I think that calling people selfish because they think that what works best for their families does not coincide with what works best for yours is a bit over the top.  But call me selfish if you’d like, I really don’t care.  However, I respectfully suggest thinking twice before passing judgment about other people’s choices, provided that it does not affect you.

Very well said!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1