Will we make the flight?

cabinluvn

Bravo Lisle…I couldn’t agree more.  Extend your holiday to at least one relaxing hotel stay before your cruise, and repeat after.  I’ve just booked two nights in Civitavecchia (Rome’s cruise port) prior to our Oceania “Vista” cruise next April (shed the jetlag after long flight from Sydney) then a night in Mestre (near Venice’s Marco Polo Airport) after before flying go Edinburgh the next day.  Repeat with airport hotels London before and after our cunard cruise,  then Sydney after arriving early evening  before a leisurely drive home to Canberra the next day.  Otherwise, we’re happy to stay home stress free.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Bravo Lisle…I couldn’t agree more.  Extend your holiday to at least one relaxing hotel stay before your cruise, and repeat after.  I’ve just booked two nights in Civitavecchia (Rome’s cruise port) prior to our Oceania “Vista” cruise next April (shed the jetlag after long flight from Sydney) then a night in Mestre (near Venice’s Marco Polo Airport) after before flying go Edinburgh the next day.  Repeat with airport hotels London before and after our cunard cruise,  then Sydney after arriving early evening  before a leisurely drive home to Canberra the next day.  Otherwise, we’re happy to stay home stress free.

We always fly in a day early to recover from the overnight flight. However, we usually like to get home after being away. We have animals that are being cared for by sitters and we like to get back to them. Staying an extra night at this point is not going to happen. Not everyone has unlimited funds to stay at hotels on both ends of the trip, but I appreciate the suggestion

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iceman93 said:

I second the advice of a previous poster to spend a night (or two) in Copenhagen before flying home.  It's one of my favorite cities in the world to visit for a couple of days, and that little decision would take all the stress out of this equation.

Not going to happen at this late date. We live almost 3 hours from Minneapolis. Have dog sitters expecting us to return on the agreed date. Car is in the off site parking at the airport with a date for pick up, etc, etc, etc.  Flying from and to the midwest is not convenient, but it is what we have to do. Not everyone has the funds to stay in a big city hotel pre and post cruise either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cabinluvn said:

Not everyone has the funds to stay in a big city hotel pre and post cruise either

But you have the funds to fly halfway around the world and take an upscale cruise?

Your original question was "will I make the flight".  The answer is "maybe".  It will certainly be stressful worrying about it, even if everything goes smoothly.  And what happens with your dog sitters, car at the airport, and all your other excuses if you DO miss the flight?

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you have a nice end to your vacation.  But I'm not sure what advice you were looking for here if you're just going to push back on everyone's suggestions.

• Like 2

I do believe the main question is will she get to the Copenhagen airport on time using HAL transfers.  The solid answer is if HAL says they will get you there by 11:30 they will.  (Been there, done that). Be sure to tell the driver the closeness of your time limit, he can rearrange gate arrivals. 

the time between flights seems adequate.  And if the whole of the arrangement was done by Delta they know to expect you and can be alerted by the KLM crew that you are on your way.   Who cares if your luggage makes it (it will) , if they miss getting it with you they will deliver it to you at home (been there, done that)

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iceman93 said:

But you have the funds to fly halfway around the world and take an upscale cruise?

Your original question was "will I make the flight".  The answer is "maybe".  It will certainly be stressful worrying about it, even if everything goes smoothly.  And what happens with your dog sitters, car at the airport, and all your other excuses if you DO miss the flight?

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you have a nice end to your vacation.  But I'm not sure what advice you were looking for here if you're just going to push back on everyone's suggestions.

The suggestion to add a couple of days onto the end of the cruise comes too late to do anything about it. You are assuming that we have a wad of cash leftover from flying halfway around the world and taking an upscale cruise. Good for you if you do. Not everyone does. But nice to put someone down for not being as rich as you obviously are. My post was to help me get to my flight, not to change everything around and stay a few extra days. If we do miss the flight, we will have to coordinate things on the other end. I would rather not have to do that. But thanks for your input

52 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I do believe the main question is will she get to the Copenhagen airport on time using HAL transfers.  The solid answer is if HAL says they will get you there by 11:30 they will.  (Been there, done that). Be sure to tell the driver the closeness of your time limit, he can rearrange gate arrivals. 

the time between flights seems adequate.  And if the whole of the arrangement was done by Delta they know to expect you and can be alerted by the KLM crew that you are on your way.   Who cares if your luggage makes it (it will) , if they miss getting it with you they will deliver it to you at home (been there, done that)

Thank you for this answer…exactly what I wanted to hear!

On 7/13/2023 at 5:35 PM, cabinluvn said:

it now leaves at 11:30 am.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

The solid answer is if HAL says they will get you there by 11:30 they will.

Is check in time 11.30 or flight departure time 11.30?  Big difference.

CPH (Copenhagen Airport website) recommends to check in 2.5 hours before scheduled departure time for all flights.  

https://www.cph.dk/en/practical/check-in

However, disembarking from the ship at 8am and meeting a pre booked taxi would get you there in plenty of time.  Cost about $80 (probably close to the cost of the HAL transfer for 2).

I used booking dot com to get taxi price.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

CPH (Copenhagen Airport website) recommends to check in 2.5 hours before scheduled departure time for all flights.  

However, disembarking from the ship at 8am and meeting a pre booked taxi would get you there in plenty of time.  Cost about $80 (probably close to the cost of the HAL transfer for 2).

I assume when HAL states the cut off time on transfers they have factored in the variables. This is a domestic flight .  If she can get a pre booked taxi that would be a good option also. 

Edited by Mary229

7 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Flight leaves at 11:30. Thanks for the info

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I assume when HAL states the cut off time on transfers they have factored in the variables. This is a domestic flight 

I am on same cruise as OP so I just checked the transfer options.  It does not mention a cut off time during the booking process.

OP's flight time was changed and I don't believe whe has posted the original timing or how far forwad the time change is.

Finally, being very pedantic (sorry) it is not a domestic flight it is an intra schengen flight and CPH still recommend 2.5 hours. 

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

I am on same cruise as OP so I just checked the transfer options.  It does not mention a cut off time during the booking process.

OP's flight time was changed and I don't believe whe has posted the original timing or how far forwad the time change is.

Finally, being very pedantic (sorry) it is not a domestic flight it is an inta schengen flight and CPH still recommend 2.5 hours. 

That is odd HAL does not post the cut off time. I use the city tour/transfer option quite often and it is usually mentioned. She should call. 

Edited by Mary229

2 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

Flight leaves at 11:30. Thanks for the info

OK so it is recommended to be at the airport by 9 am.

I would prebook a taxi either through an agency such as Booking dot com or directly with a Copenhagen taxi company 

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is odd HAL does not post the cut off time. I use the city tour/transfer option quite often and it is usually mentioned. She should call. 

Yes, true, times are mentioned for all the tour/transfer options but not for the direct transfer.

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That's lovely if you don't have a job to get back to with limited vacation time. Frequently the requirement to get back is due to limited vacation days from work, along with the cost implications. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cabinluvn said:

We always fly in a day early to recover from the overnight flight. However, we usually like to get home after being away. We have animals that are being cared for by sitters and we like to get back to them. Staying an extra night at this point is not going to happen. Not everyone has unlimited funds to stay at hotels on both ends of the trip, but I appreciate the suggestion

We would love to return home immediately after the flight, but we arrive into Sydney n the evening, too late by the time we clear customs and collect our luggage, to connect with a flight home.  

21 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

That's lovely if you don't have a job to get back to with limited vacation time. Frequently the requirement to get back is due to limited vacation days from work, along with the cost implications. 

That's all part of planning the vacation. You work within the days you have and plan accordingly.

Many people (me included) don't have unlimited time or an unlimited budget. You work within them. We always plan to arrive at the embarkation port the day before sail away. If your ship is scheduled to disembark at 0800 hrs. then you don't schedule to fly out before 1600 hrs. that gives you time to get to the airport (which could be some distance from the port) allow for traffic, line ups at check in and security. If that means you're sitting in a waiting area at the gate oh well at least you aren't missing your flight. All that being said I think our OP is dealing with a cancelled or changed flight which will screw up even the best of plans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/13/2023 at 5:35 PM, cabinluvn said:

Returning to Copenhagen after the British isles cruise. Delta changed our flight and it now leaves at 11:30 am. Currently are doing HAL transfer to the airport but am fearful we won’t make the flight if we have to wait for the bus to be filled. It is the only flight out for the day. Would it be better to self disembark and take a taxi?  Are

there taxis waiting outside the cruise terminal?

There are 3 cruise terminals in Copenhagen.

It is approximately 10km from the cruise terminals to the airport with 35 minutes average time to get there.

Taxis are outside terminal 2 and 3 24 hours a day and are metered.

We pre-booked a private taxi that was waiting for us outside the terminal for speed and convenience.

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There are 3 cruise terminals in Copenhagen.

It is approximately 10km from the cruise terminals to the airport with 35 minutes average time to get there.

Taxis are outside terminal 2 and 3 24 hours a day and are metered.

We pre-booked a private taxi that was waiting for us outside the terminal for speed and convenience.

I looked at prebooking on booking.com, but they want a specific time for pick up. What service did you use?  Thanks

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

I looked at prebooking on booking.com, but they want a specific time for pick up. What service did you use?  Thanks

My TA arranged our private transfers.

Airport - Hotel.

Hotel - cruise terminal.

Cruise terminal - airport.

There are a few online to choose from direct.

If you self disembark you are first off the ship and should have plenty of time to make check in opening time at the airport.

08.00am pickup would see you inside the airport for 08.45am.

Slightly earlier  pick up would be better to avoid any traffic.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

My TA arranged our private transfers.

Airport - Hotel.

Hotel - cruise terminal.

Cruise terminal - airport.

There are a few online to choose from direct.

If you self disembark you are first off the ship and should have plenty of time to make check in opening time at the airport.

08.00am pickup would see you inside the airport for 08.45am.

Slightly earlier  pick up would be better to avoid any traffic.

Thank you so much. I have in the cart an 8:30 pickup. Just wondering how long they will wait if I am late. Niew Statendam with a lot of people disembarking

50 minutes ago, cabinluvn said:

Thank you so much. I have in the cart an 8:30 pickup. Just wondering how long they will wait if I am late. Niew Statendam with a lot of people disembarking

I would go for 07.45-08.00 pick up and self disembark.

They should give you a contact number as well as texting you when they are there.

Some will stand outside the terminal with a board with your name on it.

Just now, grapau27 said:

I would go for 07.45-08.00 pick up and self disembark.

They should give you a contact number as well as texting you when they are there.

Some will stand outside the terminal with a board with your name on it.

Booking.com will do this?