A word of caution about those medallions...

c25andeb

17 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

I wonder how widespread the issue of erroneous charges actually is? I’m hoping the experiences described on this thread are magnified by the filter that only those affected are likely to post. 

While I do regularly check my account, I don’t relish the idea of repeatedly having to stand in line at Guest Services. 

You don't need to do this. Check your journey account on the app. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Useless?  I'm sitting by the pool able to check my account while others are wasting their time lining up at guest services getting a printout. 

The last couple of times I cruised you could got to a machine and push the print button and your account would print out.  No wait at guest services.

DON

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

The last couple of times I cruised you could got to a machine and push the print button and your account would print out.  No wait at guest services.

DON

That's taking time away from my vacation having to go to a machine and print out a paper I need to carry around with me, then dispose of. 

3 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I think it is also available on the tv in your stateroom.

As I recall, it was difficult to find, but it was there....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Trust me, there isn't a secret deck where thousands of employees are sitting in front of computers watching your every move/

I thought that's what some of the blank spaces on the deck plans were for.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

That's taking time away from my vacation having to go to a machine and print out a paper I need to carry around with me, then dispose of. 

You can’t take 2 minutes of your precious vacation time to push a button ?  If you have to wait for a table do you complain about losing vacation time 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, memoak said:

You can’t take 2 minutes of your precious vacation time to push a button ?  If you have to wait for a table do you complain about losing vacation time 

I would hope that he is being facetious with his response.  Sometimes you can not tell.

DON

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

About half the time I end up going to guest service to let them know the machine is not working. I know a passenger who, in that case, unplugs the machine so lots of other passengers won't waste their precious vacation time waiting for the printout that never comes.

Edited by latserrof
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Why would I walk to a machine and print a piece of paper? That's a waste of time, energy, paper and ink. I can easily bring it up on my phone and take a screenshot. 

On 7/14/2023 at 12:12 PM, mtnesterz said:

A solution to that would be to go to Passenger Services and ask for a Cruise Card instead of the Medallion. Since you are new to Princess, all the Medallion broadcasts is a code, that connects to your account, like a car's license plate, not your name or credit card info.

The card has a chip in it too...😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Why would I walk to a machine and print a piece of paper? That's a waste of time, energy, paper and ink. I can easily bring it up on my phone and take a screenshot. 

The way the folio populates on an iPhone (at least on my party's iPhones) doesn't allow you to take a screenshot it in it's entirety.  It's super magnified and you can't use 2 fingers to adjust the zoom; zoom can't be adjusted at all.  I could take a screenshot of it but it would only capture bits and pieces.  The description column shows, but because of the preset magnification of the App, I have to scroll to the right to see the amount.  For this reason, I still have to get the print out if I want a hard copy.

19 minutes ago, jwattle said:

The card has a chip in it too...😁

True, but the range for pick-up is much narrower.  It's the same as a the range in a credit card.  Near Field, such as credit cards or cruise cards, have to be within inches for it to communicate.  That's why the cruise cards can't open your door from a few feet away like the Medallion can or the credit card processing terminals at the store can't pick up the credit cards of everyone in line.  The Medallions are Far Field, which means they can make communicate farther away.  The Far Field component is why the Princess devices are picking up the Medallion information of all the passengers within range and the crew has to narrow down which person they are serving by matching a face to a photo.

7 hours ago, antsp said:

Very few cameras once you leave the main decks, no cameras in cabin corridors or elevator lobbys

There are cameras in all those areas on the Royal, Sky, Enchanted, and Discovery.  I assume they will also be installed on the Regal and Majestic when they go in for major refurbishment.  I was surprised when I got onto the Royal after the restart and looked up at the ceilings.  I didn't remember there being this many cameras when I first got on her in 2015.  It's hard to miss the security camera domes.  

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:24 PM, c25andeb said:

A word of caution about those medallions.  We were on the Regal from June 25 - July 7, apparently, all someone has to do to get free drinks is to tell the waiter a cabin number and it gets charged to whoever is in that cabin!  When we got home I saw our credit card statement and knew it was too high.  Someone had charged drinks and bar charges and our cabin got the bill for them.  Princess says it will take 21 days to be resolved, but be advised, it could happen to you too.  A relative of ours ordered a ginger ale and the waiter simply asked "what cabin number?"  Hopefully this keeps someone else from getting charged for drinks they never ordered.

What does this have to do with medallions? Medallions actually make it harder to lie because your photo and cabin number show up on the POS screen. 

1 hour ago, Z0nker said:

What does this have to do with medallions? Medallions actually make it harder to lie because your photo and cabin number show up on the POS screen. 

Kind of sorta.  My problem with the Medallions is that there is no trail.  When you go to Guest Services, it's your word versus the electronic record.  With the tickets there's a way to reconcile all the transactions.  I do appreciate that Guest Services is usually on the guest's side when removing unauthorized charges.  The Shops at Princess has switched to a new POS where it actually produces a printed transaction receipt instead of the hand written tickets.  I guess Princess was/is having problems with disputed charges at the Shops.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Kind of sorta.  My problem with the Medallions is that there is no trail.  When you go to Guest Services, it's your word versus the electronic record.  With the tickets there's a way to reconcile all the transactions.  I do appreciate that Guest Services is usually on the guest's side when removing unauthorized charges.  The Shops at Princess has switched to a new POS where it actually produces a printed transaction receipt instead of the hand written tickets.  I guess Princess was/is having problems with charges at the Shops.

I have seen physical paper receipts from the shops since the restart. Usually do not get much from them, but the times that I have, I have gotten either a printed or handwritten one. Probably due to the potential of a return.

So I do not think that it is anything new due to a problem.

3 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I have seen physical paper receipts from the shops since the restart. Usually do not get much from them, but the times that I have, I have gotten either a printed or handwritten one. Probably due to the potential of a return.

So I do not think that it is anything new due to a problem.

I still think it's a disputes problem.  I've noticed that the logo, trinkets, beauty & fragrance shops use the new POS and give out printed slips.  The fine jewelry/watch and Effy shops still hand write tickets and make the passenger physically sign.  Purchases from those shops are large sums to be disputing.  Having the physical ticket allows for there there to be a trail and a way to reconcile the transaction.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Kind of sorta.  My problem with the Medallions is that there is no trail.  When you go to Guest Services, it's your word versus the electronic record.  With the tickets there's a way to reconcile all the transactions.  I do appreciate that Guest Services is usually on the guest's side when removing unauthorized charges.  The Shops at Princess has switched to a new POS where it actually produces a printed transaction receipt instead of the hand written tickets.  I guess Princess was/is having problems with disputed charges at the Shops.

I see what you mean now. No paper receipt   

On 7/12/2023 at 7:50 PM, Tedferg said:

We did this cruise earlier, June 13, waiters almost always asked for cabin number but always confirmed our name, 'Mr Edward?' I guess a cheat can just say Yes to the name check. Pity the waiter does not also ask for name as well as cabin number.

But your photo pops up too>

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 7:32 AM, CruisinFinsUp said:

No.   Bartenders are not using the medallion system.   Bartenders are asking for and keying in cabin numbers.  

The medallion system is a tablet that shows the faces and names of all the people in proximity to the bar.  Most of the bartenders don't bother trying to scroll thru all the small pictures to find you during busy times. 

The old keycards had a "folio number".  They used to record that.  Now they use cabin number. 

And I believe you photo shows up when they use the cabin number?

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 7:05 AM, SCX22 said:

I wish Princess allow guests to program a PIN to go along with the Medallion.  The guest would have to enter their PIN as a verification layer when ever an order or purchase is made.

In case you have a lot of time on your hands, here's the link to the patent Carnival filed for the Medallion:

https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/10037642

Low and behold, John Padgett is first on the list for the inventor. On PDF page 47, Column 33, it basically says the only form of verification for the Medallion is the crew matching the photograph on file with the face of the guest ordering.

The credit for Padgett is likely reasonable, he was responsible for similar tech at Disney before moving to Carnival. https://www.fastcompany.com/3066933/how-the-minds-behind-disneys-magicband-are-remaking-a-38b-cruise-giant

On 7/13/2023 at 4:26 AM, c25andeb said:

Everyone's name is clearly posted at the door of the cabin, so all you would need to do is go by the cabin, remember a name and number.  This might cause Princess some negative reactions.

Wait! I will be cruising on Princess for the first time in September.  They put your name on the door for everyone to see???