A word of caution about those medallions...

c25andeb

4 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

On the other hand. I am betting not many will go to guest services to get a missing charge added to their account.  

I did.Went down to tell them that they removed 2 charges and should have only removed 1. The person at the desk thanked, refused to add the charge back and said it was the first they had ever had someone tell them that a charge was missing.

22 hours ago, memoak said:

You can’t take 2 minutes of your precious vacation time to push a button ?  If you have to wait for a table do you complain about losing vacation time 

I think the point is with the app you can access the folio anywhere at any time.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, SCX22 said:

The way the folio populates on an iPhone (at least on my party's iPhones) doesn't allow you to take a screenshot it in it's entirety.  It's super magnified and you can't use 2 fingers to adjust the zoom; zoom can't be adjusted at all.  I could take a screenshot of it but it would only capture bits and pieces.  The description column shows, but because of the preset magnification of the App, I have to scroll to the right to see the amount.  For this reason, I still have to get the print out if I want a hard copy.

I check charges on the app routinely.  As long as it is accurate, I don't have a need for screen shots or a printed record.   I do understand if you want to save the record a screen shot would be a very convenient way to do that.    

On 7/15/2023 at 7:30 AM, antsp said:

Very few cameras once you leave the main decks, no cameras in cabin corridors or elevator lobbys

As far as no cameras in the cabin corridors goes, I have to disagree.

Every one of those displays used on the cabin doors are actually Samsung tablets in a nice case that also houses the medallion reader used to sense your approach so your door will unlock.

All those tablets have a camera in them. You can look closely and see the lens opening. That said, I don't know if Princess does anything with that video but the capability is there.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Every one of those displays used on the cabin doors are actually Samsung tablets in a nice case that also houses the medallion reader used to sense your approach so your door will unlock.

All those tablets have a camera in them. You can look closely and see the lens opening. That said, I don't know if Princess does anything with that video but the capability is there.

Actually you are correct, and I work in cctv and didn't think about the tablets on the doors 

13 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Maybe it's time to tape over that camera lens, at least for those paranoid passengers? It seems like an over kill to include cameras in each door entry unit.

5 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Maybe it's time to tape over that camera lens, at least for those paranoid passengers? It seems like an over kill to include cameras in each door entry unit.

I can think security might grab a time-tagged photo whenever the door is opened. If there's a claim of theft from the room, there's one more bit of proof as to who has entered. Medallions can be stolen and they have the passenger's name on it. Sure it's a bit of work to figure out which cabin the medallion is matched up to but it's possible. Also besides your cabin steward, there are other crew that have access.

Overkill? Try and purchase a tablet with the functionality Princess requires that doesn't already have a camera. I'm sure with the quantity purchased that Princess got a great price on these. Personally when I realized what they'd done for the door displays that it was brilliant choice. So functional and versatile.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, antsp said:

They have done, since forever, is that a concern 

In the olden days it was a card in a holder by the door. Easy to remove by the passenger. They were kind of nice to take home for the scrapbook.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I can think security might grab a time-tagged photo whenever the door is opened. If there's a claim of theft from the room, there's one more bit of proof as to who has entered. Medallions can be stolen and they have the passenger's name on it. Sure it's a bit of work to figure out which cabin the medallion is matched up to but it's possible. Also besides your cabin steward, there are other crew that have access.

I think you might have something there.

If a person loses their Medallion anyone can take it to a kiosk, find out the cabin number and now has access to your room.  I suppose the same is true of the cruise card but I haven't tested it.

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If a person loses their Medallion anyone can take it to a kiosk, find out the cabin number and now has access to your room.  I suppose the same is true of the cruise card but I haven't tested it.

I wouldn't even think to do that.  

99.9999999999999...% of humans are taking it to guest services if they find a lost medallion.

• Like 2

Omg the level of paranoia expressed by some on here is eye-opening.  there is always a trade off between convenience and privacy. Maybe I’m naive but I trust my fellow passengers and the crew more than I trust a lot of people in  everyday life. Sure there are dishonest people but are they really paying cruise fares to rip others off for free drinks or to steal their identities by looking at their names on the door?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I’m not bothered if there are any CCTV in the corridors/ cabin floors. In fact I’d prefer it. Makes my cabin more secure & makes me feel more secure

as long as there isn’t any inside my cabin / in the public bathrooms I’m good

some idiot does anything dangerous towards me in the corridor outside the cabins I want the staff to have a decent chance to pick out exactly who it is

what’s the difference between CCTV seeing me in a lounge, the piazza, MDR, a shop etc etc and seeing me in a corridor 🤷‍♀️

• Like 10

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

But why should someone worry about it?  I'm among those that don't understand the anxiety about cameras or medallions with location capabilities.   

• Like 11

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Maybe it’s because I just haven’t looked for them or sailed on ships that no longer use the kiosks but I don’t think I’ve seen a kiosk ever since the restart two years ago.  Again, maybe I’m just not aware of them being there.  And if they are, as the words my dad used to say all the time “good thing that wasn’t a rattlesnake!”  😂 
Aside from that, the owner of the lost medallion would need to go get a new one, which deactivates the lost one immediately.  
As I mentioned before, I noticed a lot more invalid charges when we were all using the key cards than I do now with the medallions.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Caligirl33 said:

Wait! I will be cruising on Princess for the first time in September.  They put your name on the door for everyone to see???

They’ve always done that but previously, it was on a piece of paper that you could easily remove if you didn’t want anyone else to see it.  
They can easily take it off the screen if you prefer it not be on there.  Just go visit guest services.  
My guess is that only a very small percentage of people do that, though.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Maybe it’s because I just haven’t looked for them or sailed on ships that no longer use the kiosks but I don’t think I’ve seen a kiosk ever since the restart two years ago.  Again, maybe I’m just not aware of them being there.  And if they are, as the words my dad used to say all the time “good thing that wasn’t a rattlesnake!”  😂 
Aside from that, the owner of the lost medallion would need to go get a new one, which deactivates the lost one immediately.  
As I mentioned before, I noticed a lot more invalid charges when we were all using the key cards than I do now with the medallions.  

You probably have and just didn't recognize them for what they are.  Big blue screens near the elevators on every deck.  They show deck plans and happenings.  The medallion can be used to activate the screen to access basically the same stuff as on an individual's app.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Of course, but sometimes it might be quite a while before they notice it missing. Not that there are any dishonest people sailing on Princess. 

19 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You probably have and just didn't recognize them for what they are.  Big blue screens near the elevators on every deck.  They show deck plans and happenings.  The medallion can be used to activate the screen to access basically the same stuff as on an individual's app.  

Oh my goodness, you are so right!  Good thing it wasn’t a rattlesnake!  😆 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Of course, but sometimes it might be quite a while before they notice it missing. Not that there are any dishonest people sailing on Princess. 

I guess I would make a horrible criminal … I just don’t think like that!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They would notice it the first time they tried to leave or return to the ship, purchase something or try to get into their cabin. Yes it could be awhile.

Edited by Potstech

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

This is probably the case, issuing a new one. But, if you lose it on the ship, why doesn't Guest Services just look up where it is????

• Like 1