Mobility scooter

basser

Just now, 1025cruise said:

Depends on the provider you rent it from.

Just now, 1025cruise said:

Depends on the provider you rent it from.

Does Royal not have them for rent. Who are the providers?

I have used special needs at sea before.  Scootaround is just fine, also.  Cost depends on port on embarkation, round trip or not, and length of cruise.  My 7 day cruises out of Port Canaveral were about $200 for a regular size scooter.  It was a lifesaver for me before my hip replacement and definitely worth the money.  May I add that I enjoy the helpfulness of the Royal boards. I posted a simple scooter question on another cruise line board recently and I was told to "go check out the handicap forum".  🙄

• Like 3

Royal "preferred providers" are scootaround and special needs at sea as noted above.  This means that Royal allows them to deliver the scooters to your stateroom.  

You may also want to contact special_needs@rccl.com 

They can provide wheelchair assistance during boarding and departure.

• Like 1

As others have said, you will need to rent from scootaround or special needs at sea (or bring a scooter from home).   The scooter will be in your room (or at some ports at the terminal).  Cost depends on many variables and also what type of scooter you rent.   And whether you opt in to buying their insurance. 

If you happen to rent from scootaround, try using discount code USCRUISE (which is from United Spinal Members).   I think the discount is 15%.    You will probably have to call them to have the discount applied. 

Royal will need to know you are going to bring/rent a scooter.    

Scooters are lifesavers.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a suggestion, but DW rented once, or twice to see if it would work well for her. We then decided to purchase a scooter and now she is much more willing to travel and enjoys traveling again. Research your choices before you purchase to make certain the scooter you choose is airline approved and that the dimensions will fit through doorways on your cruise cabin. 

Good luck and best wishes. Having a scooter can open up many new adventures 

• Like 1

I hope it's okay, I glommed onto this topic instead of starting my own. I'm flying with my scooter for the first time, American Airlines from Virginia to North Carolina to Boston. I've filled out all the necessary paperwork. I understand I have to gate check the scooter, but do the luggage handlers know how to switch it from Drive to Neutral? I'm terrified they'll destroy it by forcing it to roll in Drive. I realize I can show the handler in VA, but not upon arrival in NC and MA. I've thought about making a laminated sheet or something and taping it to the back of the seat. Help! 

17 hours ago, maureencruiser said:

I understand I have to gate check the scooter, but do the luggage handlers know how to switch it from Drive to Neutral? I'm terrified they'll destroy it by forcing it to roll in Drive. I realize I can show the handler in VA, but not upon arrival in NC and MA. I've thought about making a laminated sheet or something and taping it to the back of the seat. Help! 

Check out John Morris' blog here:   

https://wheelchairtravel.org/air-travel/reduce-risk-wheelchair-damage/

He suggests attaching instructions for the handlers.   

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Check out John Morris' blog here:   

https://wheelchairtravel.org/air-travel/reduce-risk-wheelchair-damage/

He suggests attaching instructions for the handlers.   

Thanks! I stumbled upon that website earlier. I'm going to attach a laminated note somehow. He says on there that 3% of chairs/scooters get damaged on the plane. 

My sister is renting a mobility scooter on an upcoming NCL cruise.  We have been told that the scooter will be in the room by 2PM.  Does anyone know what time the scooters are actually delivered?  Is it likely to be there at noon? 

28 minutes ago, JillandRalph said:

My sister is renting a mobility scooter on an upcoming NCL cruise.  We have been told that the scooter will be in the room by 2PM.  Does anyone know what time the scooters are actually delivered?  Is it likely to be there at noon? 

Maybe.   Our experience post-covid has been all over the board.   From the scooter being in the room when we got there to it not being delivered until later.   Hopefully your sister's will be in the room early.   Pre-covid the scooter was always in the room when we got there (and we always board early).  

One suggestion is to see if you can pick up the scooter before going into the port and return it there after the cruise.  This way you can expedite the boarding process.  As far as the scooter you rent, my wife uses a Whill Ci2 from Scootaround, and it is the best we have seen.  On my YT channel there are quite a few videos of her using the scooter and showing how well it works.  Here is one.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/FoTXgbeErII/edit

13 hours ago, misguy said:

One suggestion is to see if you can pick up the scooter before going into the port and return it there after the cruise.  This way you can expedite the boarding process.  As far as the scooter you rent, my wife uses a Whill Ci2 from Scootaround, and it is the best we have seen.  On my YT channel there are quite a few videos of her using the scooter and showing how well it works.  Here is one.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/FoTXgbeErII/edit

The Whill is great, but for me the back doesn’t give enough support.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 10:38 PM, kokopelli-az said:

Maybe.   Our experience post-covid has been all over the board.   From the scooter being in the room when we got there to it not being delivered until later.   Hopefully your sister's will be in the room early.   Pre-covid the scooter was always in the room when we got there (and we always board early).  

I would confirm that with Scootaround.  On all of our cruises post-covid (on Carnival), DH has been able to pick his up before entering the port building and use it to board.

7 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I would confirm that with Scootaround.  On all of our cruises post-covid (on Carnival), DH has been able to pick his up before entering the port building and use it to board.

It depends on where you board.   Out of 49 cruises, we have only had the scooter available outside the terminal building twice.    It sure was nice!    All other times it's in our stateroom.   Scootaround will have instructions where your scooter can be picked up on the confirmation you get from them.

• Like 1

The one time we rented (from Special Needs At Sea), the scooter was delivered to the room some time after we boarded. It was not there when we got there. I was, at least, able to ride it down to the door of the terminal when we left. This was at FLL.

That experience caused me to buy our own after we got back and that makes things simpler. I have a GoGo Sport, which is now the go-to model of the rental companies.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:06 PM, kokopelli-az said:

It depends on where you board.   Out of 49 cruises, we have only had the scooter available outside the terminal building twice.    It sure was nice!    All other times it's in our stateroom.   Scootaround will have instructions where your scooter can be picked up on the confirmation you get from them.

Our experience with this has been on only one cruise line and only POST-RESTART, but at multiple ports.  Again YMMV.