My first move-up offer is a move down

KellyCz

Departing for Alaska on the Solstice in two weeks, and I was excited to get what I thought was a move-up offer email. Instead, it's the opposite.

We're writing to let you know that, due to a rare inventory error, your scheduled sailing is currently oversold in certain stateroom categories.
If you would be willing to volunteer to move to a different stateroom type, you may be able to take advantage of a special resolution offer. 

The offer is a move from Veranda stateroom to Veranda stateroom with obstructed view for a $500 refund. Since this is our first trip to Alaska, we've decided to keep our original stateroom.

What would you do? 

• Like 1

Change, obstructed is usually that you have a lifeboat below and your view is really not restricted. These cabins are usually on deck 6, unless you have a hump cabin take the $500

Edited by swigso
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, swigso said:

Change, obstructed is usually that you have a lifeboat below and your view is really not restricted. These cabins are usually on deck 6, unless you have a hump cabin take the $500

Interesting. You can tell I'm fairly new at this. What's the worst-case scenario if we change?

I'd try to figure out the difference in price between the category you booked and what they are offering you (try looking at another week of the same itinerary).  If it is more than or close to $500, I don't see the benefit to you. They should be offering you the difference plus something for your inconvenience.   You are solving their problem. 

If the difference in categories is close to $500, you already turned that deal down when you originally booked the category that you picked. 

Edited by JFontaine
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KellyCz said:

Departing for Alaska on the Solstice in two weeks, and I was excited to get what I thought was a move-up offer email. Instead, it's the opposite.

We're writing to let you know that, due to a rare inventory error, your scheduled sailing is currently oversold in certain stateroom categories.
If you would be willing to volunteer to move to a different stateroom type, you may be able to take advantage of a special resolution offer. 

The offer is a move from Veranda stateroom to Veranda stateroom with obstructed view for a $500 refund. Since this is our first trip to Alaska, we've decided to keep our original stateroom.

What would you do? 

I would do what you did. Keep your original stateroom.

Hope you have a great cruise 🚢 .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KellyCz said:

What would you do? 

I had an offer similar to that, but worse, on my Panama trip in April. They offered me about the same amount to go from Prime Verandah to inside. Needless to say I ignored that offer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The problem with an obstructed view on deck 6 of a Solstice class is that the fullynobstructed means you have to stand at the railing to see anything.  Partially obstructed means you can see out seated, but even standing at the rail you can’t see the water.  And in Alaska, particularly if you are cruising a glacier, you might not be able to see the otters on the growlers and bergy bits.  So I wouldn’t take the offer until they sweeten it more.  Of course, in Alaska it is a,ways best to move about on the outer decks because if the captain or naturalist spots wildlife, it is inevitably on the other side of the ship.  EM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KellyCz said:

What would you do? 

If it’s cash or a credit back to your card, take the money. If it’s a no refundable obc, stay where you are.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CruisinBanka said:

I would call Celebrity to ask what cabin # it would be and what is the obstructing %. Then make decision based on that. Sometimes it is only a 10% obstruction and I would take the $

I'll try that, but I'm guessing they won't tell me. The form they provided just said I'd be willing to switch. Didn't give any details about the location of the new stateroom.

Edited by KellyCz

21 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I’d take the offer.  On an Alaskan cruise, the better views would be out on the open decks, Sunset Bar or Sky Lounge.

You wouldn't be concerned that you might end up in a less desirable location?

18 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If it’s cash or a credit back to your card, take the money. If it’s a no refundable obc, stay where you are.

It's a cash refund. Not OBC.

• Like 1

I tried checking other weeks. The season is mostly sold out. I did find some obstructed view cabins in September for about $1525 per person.  If you paid $2025 per person, that's $1000 more, and $500 makes no sense.  I know it's not an accurate comparison,  but it gives you an idea. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, KellyCz said:

What would you do? 

I may be in the minority, but I agree with you--I would keep your veranda.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

In this case I would also take the money. What I don´t get, why can get overbooked in the first place in this day and age...!

It happens a lot more frequently than you or I would think.  Nine Japan sailings on Millennium (late 2023-early 2024) were declared as being oversold for certain categories in Apr of this year.  It was a mess to unwind and it was a customer relations nightmare.

• Like 2