The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 24th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Amelia Earhart Day, Cousins Day, and Pioneer Day

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. - Logan Pearsall Smith

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Avocado Basil Pesto Spaghetti
Drink of the Day - Cuba Libre
Wine of the Day - dArenberg - Shiraz-Viognier McLaren Vale The Laughing Magpie 2016
Destination of the Day - Burnie, Tasmania Australia

Today in History:
1534 Jacques Cartier lands in what is now Canada, claims it for France

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2200

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska 0900-0930

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 1500-1800

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Skagen, Denmark eta 7/25

Noordam

At Sea destination Ketchikan, Alaska eta 25 Jul

Oosterdam

Palermo, Sicily 0800-1700

Rotterdam

Oslo, Norway 0800-1600

Volendam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Westerdam

At Sea destination Juneau, Alaska eta 25 Jul

Zaandam

Saint John, New Brunswick 0800-1400

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Sydney, Nova Scotia eta 25 Jul

0724World.thumb.png.5ec55a18a7b038f4795ddbb6c253e72a.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, lung infection, back on ECMO

Ger_77’s friends’ bad news

NextOne’s friend Denny with a large stroke, and his DW Bonnie

Lobsternight’s great nephew with bike crash, multiple fractures, surgery

Summer slope with a health issue

4 missing in Nova Scotia due to flooding

6 deaths in Bucks County flash flooding; 1 child still missing

All affected by wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Lady Hudson’s DH needing PT for leg strength

Denise T working on lowering blood sugar elevations since having Covid

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Vict0riann and Pat both feeling better

Cunnorl freed from restrictions

Denise T’s new puppy Fancy

Ger_77 going to the lake to visit friends

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for StLouisCruisers (Zaandam July 29 to Aug 23) DH 75th BD and 54th anniversary

6 days for AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam July 30 to Aug 13)

Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23) + 3 days in Copenhagen, Crazy For Cats (Zaandam to July 29), Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta to Aug 1), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is currently 12°C and sunny here at 11.40am.

We have some lovely cousins.

America was all about Pioneers.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for improved health for our Dailyites on the care list.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a great day.

Screenshot_20230724_114632.jpg

Screenshot_20230724_114655.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Happy Monday.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Diixie, Ann, and Tina.  My cousin count is dwindling and most live in Canada.  I think Amelia Earhart Day and Pioneer Day fit together quite nicely.  I have not been to Tasmania.  Frankly, while reading is nice I'll still vote for life.  Those who sail Volendam or Zaandam out of Montreal will soon pass the bridge named for Cartier. 

Today I should be leaving home on the way to Vancouver for an Alaskan holiday but decided a couple of months ago I would not be ready.  Instead I have a second week of medical appointments with a lung CT scan last Saturday, echocardiogram today, Pulmonologist tomorrow, and Cardiologist Wednesday.  Fortunately. that may be the last until September.

Thunderstorms early this morning.  I thought they would end by 6:30 but they don't seem to want to quit. 

The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Caesar Salad, Pasta Parcel with Zucchini Ribbons, and Topfen Palatcchinken, my first Mariner Brunch on MS Prinsendam August 4,

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  We are at 67 and clear with a high of 85 and sunny skies expected.  A typical summer day.  Thank you Rich @richwmn  for our Daily and Fleet Report for Monday.

Interesting days!  I would be happy to honor Amelia Earhart for the part she played in aviation history.  It's so unfortunate how her life ended though.  I have many cousins but they all live in my former state so I don't see them often.  Twin hears from some of them occasionally.  What a brave group of people our pioneers were!  Moving across our land to new and unknown places looking for a better life.  As for the quote, I enjoy life more than reading though it plays an important part in my daily existence.

The meal today is quite descriptive but I would probably prefer something simpler.  No idea about the drink but the wine sounds like a red.  I guess I will pass on all three.  Thanks to Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your valuable insight into the food and beverages.

Another important day for Canada in the day in history mention this morning.

Prayers were said this morning for our Care list people which I hope is getting smaller.  Also my DB and my friend's DB Mark.  Extra prayers for little Baby Murphy so let's hope we get some encouraging news about her this week.  🙏  Cheers to all on the Celebration list, and I hope the cruises are going well!  Right now I have neighbors on one side on the Volendam, and the neighbors on the other side of me headed to Rome to join the Oceania Vista for the next few weeks.  Then we are leaving at the end of this week.  Cruising is well represented here in my little section of the 'hood!  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the time you spend keeping track with us all!🥂🎉

Burnie, Australia in Tasmania is the port of the day.  We have seen it here twice before on June 4, 2021 and December 4, 2022.  We visited there twice in 2017 and though we didn't do much more than walk around and explore the town, it was worthwhile to us.  Here are the links to the prior dates to retrieve your photos.  Whenever I see June 4, 2021 I remember that is the day my DS died.  I was very close to her and miss her a lot.

In October, November and December 2017 we enjoyed B2B2B2B cruises on the Sun Princess, taking in all of Australia, Tasmania, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand.  Bonus was the number of times we got to spend a day in Sydney.  It was our initial embarkation port, turnaround days port, and disembarkation day port so we were able to sail in and out of there many times.  It was a great trip and I'll always remember it fondly.

The first day in Burnie was Oct. 11, 2017 and the ship had a shuttle bus to run us into downtown and back.  This made it easy for shopping trips.  We like to get things like bottles of water, toiletries, chocolates, snacks, etc.  The drop off point was at the visitor's center/museum/art center shown here.  enhance

Next to that building was a walkway along the shore.enhance

DH calls himself my pack mule.  He has the water, the umbrella, the extra gloves, hats, rain jackets etc. in his backpack.  The weight makes for extra help with his cardio though!

enhance

A look over our shoulders at the visitor center.enhance

At the end of the boardwalk was this strange looking fountain/sculpture.  The fountain wasn't on but it had jets where water would shoot up in the air.enhance

An interesting spot we passed.  Fish market or restaurant? 🙄enhance

Not a lot of pedestrians here but the ship passengers made up most of the crowds on the street.enhance

The grocery store we shopped in.  After this we went back to the ship.  Our next stop in Burnie would be in 27 more days.enhance

After our circumnavigation of Australia (fantastic cruise) and a lovely turnaround day in Sydney we headed south again to Tasmania.  It was November 7, 2017. 

This was a sunny day.  We were dropped off at the regional museum (and library) this time.enhance

There was a monument nearby for the Van Diemen's Land Company.  I found this description of their purpose on the internet:  

• The Van Diemen s Land company was first formed in 1824, with a group of wool merchants and mill operators, coming together with bankers and investors in London, with the aim to develop northwestern Tasmania as productive farming land, primarily for the export of wool.enhance

enhance

Near here was the Burnie Arts Building.enhance

And this church.  I noticed the SUV parked out front with the exhaust that goes up to vent out near the roof of the vehicle.  Someone must be doing some off road driving in deep water!enhance

By this time we needed to head to the grocery to pick up more water and other goods since we still had a long way to go on this cruise.  Next day we were at Port Arthur which is a favorite place of mine to visit in Tasmania. 

Have a wonderful Monday everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Good morning everyone. My DH, Sam, is in the hospital with brain bleeds after falling out of bed Saturday night. Several CAT scans later they are watching to see if he will need surgery. Please send prayers his way for a complete recovery.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 11
  • Thanks 24

Cuba Libre cocktail:

Rum and Coke, or the Cuba libre, is a highball cocktail consisting of cola, rum, and in many recipes lime juice on ice. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Rum
Ingredients: 1 2/3 oz White rum, 1/3 oz Fresh lime juice, 4 oz Cola
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lime wedge
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 7.11.01 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 15

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely start to the day, after another round of evening rain & T-storms. 

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. Gym, Bindi walks, chores, a celebratory ice cream with friends in honor of my friend who just entered a new decade! Hoping the afternoon storms work with us, not against us. 

IMG_1517.jpeg.db656628e1f5df31d09b65bfca8ce2fb.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg.9280c5c66fe9afbc9b9390ea6e915394.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

dArenberg - Shiraz-Viognier McLaren Vale The Laughing Magpie 2016

This Australian wine is a bit harder to find than yesterday’s, but the price point makes it worthwhile to hunt for it. The 2018 vintage has an even higher rating from the critics, and just might be easier to find. Again, the Viognier helps to soften the Shiraz - and makes me want to try this. A few online distributors with prices starting at $24.95.

Winemaker Notes

The nose is particularly intense, with peppery spice, hints of fragrant flower and perfume aromas, plus nectarines, apricots, ginger and herbs from the small parcel of Viognier that the Shiraz is cofermented with. The palate is rich and generous, with ripe black fruit and soft silky tannins.
WE92 Wine Enthusiast
With 4% Viognier, the nose of this Shiraz-based wine offers an appealing mix of plum, fig cake, mocha, olive and large helpings of savory spice. The palate is powerfully tannic and chalky in texture. Nevertheless, the spicy, brambly fruit finds its way to the fore, providing much needed softness. Give this a decant or air time or plenty of protein if drinking now. Drink until 2028.
JS91 James Suckling
Bold aromas of cherries, yellow plums and other orchard fruit here. Some brown spices, too. Very upbeat, fruit-driven palate that carries such plump, fleshy, ripe red-plum and berry flavors. Drink or hold.
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning, friends.  Prayers for all in need.

It will be hot and rainy here.  No real plans except that DH’s previously mentioned new therapist starts today.  Thanks for all the good wishes we have received from all of you.  Katherine 

• Like 26

39 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. My DH, Sam, is in the hospital with brain bleeds after falling out of bed Saturday night. Several CAT scans later they are watching to see if he will need surgery. Please send prayers his way for a complete recovery.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Prayers 🙏 for Sam for a complete recovery.

• Like 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Amelia Earhart was a person to be admired, too bad about how her life ended.   I don't have many cousins and I don't see them very often.  I would never have been a pioneer, I like modern conveniences.

I don't agree with the quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  I haven't had a Cuba Libre in years.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.

@mamaofami Prayers for Sam.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We are at 67 and clear with a high of 85 and sunny skies expected.  A typical summer day.  Thank you Rich @richwmn  for our Daily and Fleet Report for Monday.

Interesting days!  I would be happy to honor Amelia Earhart for the part she played in aviation history.  It's so unfortunate how her life ended though.  I have many cousins but they all live in my former state so I don't see them often.  Twin hears from some of them occasionally.  What a brave group of people our pioneers were!  Moving across our land to new and unknown places looking for a better life.  As for the quote, I enjoy life more than reading though it plays an important part in my daily existence.

The meal today is quite descriptive but I would probably prefer something simpler.  No idea about the drink but the wine sounds like a red.  I guess I will pass on all three.  Thanks to Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your valuable insight into the food and beverages.

Another important day for Canada in the day in history mention this morning.

Prayers were said this morning for our Care list people which I hope is getting smaller.  Also my DB and my friend's DB Mark.  Extra prayers for little Baby Murphy so let's hope we get some encouraging news about her this week.  🙏  Cheers to all on the Celebration list, and I hope the cruises are going well!  Right now I have neighbors on one side on the Volendam, and the neighbors on the other side of me headed to Rome to join the Oceania Vista for the next few weeks.  Then we are leaving at the end of this week.  Cruising is well represented here in my little section of the 'hood!  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the time you spend keeping track with us all!🥂🎉

Burnie, Australia in Tasmania is the port of the day.  We have seen it here twice before on June 4, 2021 and December 4, 2022.  We visited there twice in 2017 and though we didn't do much more than walk around and explore the town, it was worthwhile to us.  Here are the links to the prior dates to retrieve your photos.  Whenever I see June 4, 2021 I remember that is the day my DS died.  I was very close to her and miss her a lot.

In October, November and December 2017 we enjoyed B2B2B2B cruises on the Sun Princess, taking in all of Australia, Tasmania, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand.  Bonus was the number of times we got to spend a day in Sydney.  It was our initial embarkation port, turnaround days port, and disembarkation day port so we were able to sail in and out of there many times.  It was a great trip and I'll always remember it fondly.

The first day in Burnie was Oct. 11, 2017 and the ship had a shuttle bus to run us into downtown and back.  This made it easy for shopping trips.  We like to get things like bottles of water, toiletries, chocolates, snacks, etc.  The drop off point was at the visitor's center/museum/art center shown here.  enhance

Next to that building was a walkway along the shore.enhance

DH calls himself my pack mule.  He has the water, the umbrella, the extra gloves, hats, rain jackets etc. in his backpack.  The weight makes for extra help with his cardio though!

enhance

A look over our shoulders at the visitor center.enhance

At the end of the boardwalk was this strange looking fountain/sculpture.  The fountain wasn't on but it had jets where water would shoot up in the air.enhance

An interesting spot we passed.  Fish market or restaurant? 🙄enhance

Not a lot of pedestrians here but the ship passengers made up most of the crowds on the street.enhance

The grocery store we shopped in.  After this we went back to the ship.  Our next stop in Burnie would be in 27 more days.enhance

After our circumnavigation of Australia (fantastic cruise) and a lovely turnaround day in Sydney we headed south again to Tasmania.  It was November 7, 2017. 

This was a sunny day.  We were dropped off at the regional museum (and library) this time.enhance

There was a monument nearby for the Van Diemen's Land Company.  I found this description of their purpose on the internet:  

• The Van Diemen s Land company was first formed in 1824, with a group of wool merchants and mill operators, coming together with bankers and investors in London, with the aim to develop northwestern Tasmania as productive farming land, primarily for the export of wool.enhance

enhance

Near here was the Burnie Arts Building.enhance

And this church.  I noticed the SUV parked out front with the exhaust that goes up to vent out near the roof of the vehicle.  Someone must be doing some off road driving in deep water!enhance

By this time we needed to head to the grocery to pick up more water and other goods since we still had a long way to go on this cruise.  Next day we were at Port Arthur which is a favorite place of mine to visit in Tasmania. 

Have a wonderful Monday everyone!

Interesting photos Sandi.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It will be hot again today.Surprise! I will celebrate  Pioneers, cousins and Amelia Earhart.We have not been to the port and although I read all the time, I prefer  life.

The recipe sounds interesting  but we have had requests for the salmon with strawberries  tonight.I am off to the store shortly to gather provisions.

@mamaofami,  Carol. I am so sorry  to hear of Sam's  hospitalization. Prayers for all coming your way.

My DS and DD  have decided we need help with the deep cleaning and I agree.We have two cleaning persons arriving shortly so I nagged both patients  to get in the shower rather early.I hope to be able to take the dogs out for a nice walk while they clean as they like to "help" with any activity.

Have a very good day  everyone. 

• Like 29

Continuing with our vegetarian theme, we have Creamy Avocado Basil Pesto Spaghetti.  Pesto is a basil-based sauce, traditionally made with basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, salt, and Parmesan.

The first recipe Vegan Avocado Basil Pesto Spaghetti uses avocado to replace the Parmesean and walnuts instead of pine nuts.  It is easy to whip up in your food processor.

ToAq9F32r_WNELGD8u6wJdbUWCyC1AC_9MDIV8sZD0Sk9-IM1FPVO_cUjx0YAhwvKrSnLlXVO6qkqlu_mMaS-DuciWr5CAyl9F8Dypx4jxdMonVFGFzaIq5QxqbJv0w4NY-b-YK2eXaEuQk1Xp7db-U

NY TIMES Avocado Pesto  inclusions the Parmesan and adds pepitas (pumpkin seeds) instead of pine nuts. 

s-dFKs2VUXip4Lv_VS8kXEG6yZrnHyAjJHewhqPE2viR8Z-JCg6JfwCNhvtU9eeowIBV6mWlUwoRFNbuyCoDJOtdrgYXSvOpU4_k0JYIYh4KSnJu0cnKxaSg-bMrPxARwT8dtsQkcwczkEFFcrXp4Do

Lighten up Pesto replace the olive oil with avocado in the pesto.  This spread can be used on sandwiches or as a dressing for pasta salad too.

6GI3tn98a9vBCeTo48cGshSMKKJvI5zpcKYRzYuAhVayl6U6M5jHvZuPHZXdst4TdtumJnFqov2hTNlXw9hE9fqeWlF6zNQwFDMrFY3xoVpXQy2brD3PBGR9AkJ2OGK76A240hphHv0oVuRv-Qxb1LU

I currently have a ridiculous amount of basil in my garden.  Time to try adding avocado to my pesto!  Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good morning,

First off I want to tell Carol @mamaofami I am so sorry to hear about DH. Prayers for you both. I know this is very hard on you waiting to see how he will do. 

News  on baby Murphy last night was encouraging. Her secretions when suctioning are clearing up.  She is on  50% ECMO and breathing over her ventilator. They changed out lines yesterday due to her infection. She is awake and and following them with her eyes. They will sit on 50% ECMO for 2 more days and reevaluate. Thanks for all your prayers. 

I think my Molly tore her left cruciate ligament yesterday. I had a previous dog who did this so I know the signs. I just started at a new vet office and they are so young and I don’t know their surgical experience. I found a canine ortho practice near me and I will call this morning. She is only 6 and I hate to see her like this. 

Thunderstorms are rolling in. I carried her out to potty just in time. 

prayers and well wishes all!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report recipes and lists. I have many cousins scattered about that I don’t get to see very often.  Amelia Earhart was an amazing pioneer.  The meal and drink suggestions sound very nice.  I think reading enhances life.  Prayers for everyone on our list including @mamaofami’s DH Sam. Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events!

• Like 24

Good afternoon to all from Wonderful Copenhagen.  

The rain has stopped, at least for now.  We took a lovely Canal Boat Tour and the weather cooperated. Both of us enjoyed it very much.

Thank you to Rich @richwmn for the the Daily and Fleet Report.  Hat’s off to Amelia Earhart.  As for Cousins, I had two first cousins on my mom’s side that were more like my sister and brother.  We lived in the same apartment building in NY and I saw them everyday.  They were older.  So they were married long before I was, but we always remained very close.  Sadly both have since passed away and I miss them very much.  I also have cousins on my father’s side that I have never met.  He had many brothers and sisters who had children, but I was never introduced to them.  An unfortunate situation.

As for Pioneer Day, thank you Graham @grapau27 for the information on that day.  I did not know about it.

As for the quote, I think I prefer life to reading, although I do like to read.

I used to like Cuba Libres, but I no longer drink carbonated beverages so that is out.

I cannot eat Pesto, It makes me sick.  i like it, but it does not like me.  So I will pass on the meal.

Wine looks nice

I have not been to Tasmania.

Prayers for Carol @mamaofami’s DH Sam.  i hope the brain bleed resolves quickly.

Continued prayers for Baby Murphy.  This child has been through so much. 

Cheers to those cruising and preparing to cruise.  I am happy to be going to home.  It has been a long time away.

I was happy to get a good night’s rest after not sleeping the previous night due to my cold and then due to all the anxiety producing events of yesterday.  I know that by 8 pm I was in bed.  Whatever time Jim turned in, I have no idea because I did not hear or feel anything.  The next thing I knew it was 7:37 am this morning.   11 1/2 hours.  I guess I needed the sleep.

Prayers for all that need them.  I hope those who are cruising are having an enjoyable time.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1