Greece Ports

highplanesdrifters

Lucky you- envious that you will be stopping in Pylos!   Many years ago when Olympia was closed due to a strike, Pylos became our alternate port and we are so glad that we got to spend a day there on our own. 

It's well worth reading up on the history of Pylos, as it has played a significant role in a number of wars and has "changed hands" a number of times over many centuries.  There are two castles - the "newer" castle/fortress (built by the Ottomans in the 1500s) is on a promontory above town and is an easy walk.  Around 10 km north of the town are several historical sites, including the Palace of Nestor, an archeological museum and a Mycenaean beehive tomb.

The town is tiny, but charming, with cafes, shops and galleries around the square.   Highly recommend that you seek out Atelier Sud, which is on a side street leading up to the fortress. The artists/owners are on premise and the gallery has gorgeous high-quality sculptures, ceramics and paintings.   I purchased the piece shown here titled The Traveller; this photo does not do justice to the exquisite detail. 

IMG_1651.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Santorini - Not sure of your thoughts or abilities when it comes to hiking, but the Caldera walk/hike from Fira to Oia is spectacular.  It is 10 km (6.5 miles) but the views are outstanding.  The first part is through the town of Fira and then out past the resort hotels and restaurants.  The last part is out in the open overlooking the Caldera (the extinct volcano where the ship is at anchor).  The hike isn't demanding elevation wise, but take water and start as early as you can to beat the heat.

Have lunch in Oia overlooking the Caldera, then take a cab back to Fira and the ship.

• Thanks 1

For Santorini you might be wise to check the number of cruise ships in port that day - the island is infamous as one of the most heavily over-touristed places on the planet.  It is also awkward to visit because of very limited transport up the cliff to the villages, especially critical if you have maybe 5000 or even 10,000 people all wanting to do the same thing.  We are there in October and plan to stay on the ship.

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/#ports

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A tip for Santorini is not to go ashore until after lunch, if you just want to have a short walk around at the top, as most of the passengers from the large ships go back for lunch on board, and after about 1.30 the crowds are far smaller, and there will not be the huge queues for the 'lift' up and down the hill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Santorini - Not sure of your thoughts or abilities when it comes to hiking, but the Caldera walk/hike from Fira to Oia is spectacular.  It is 10 km (6.5 miles) but the views are outstanding.  The first part is through the town of Fira and then out past the resort hotels and restaurants.  The last part is out in the open overlooking the Caldera (the extinct volcano where the ship is at anchor).  The hike isn't demanding elevation wise, but take water and start as early as you can to beat the heat.

Have lunch in Oia overlooking the Caldera, then take a cab back to Fira and the ship.

Could not agree more! By far the best thing we did in Santorini in the 3 time we were there.

• Thanks 1

Agree with Akrotiri visit. The island scenery is iconic.  Otherwise Thera is really crowded and overpriced in high tourist season. Because of some rules, passengers must use the tenders operated by locals. Waiting time for the local boat can be long especially in the sun. We witnessed several people fall getting out of and into the boat as the sea was a bit rough. 

• Thanks 1

I agree about the hike at Santorini. We loved it and ended at a cafe-bar in Oia with a swimming pool which was free to use if we bought a drink - which we had no problem with at all!! It was very welcome after the long walk on a hot day. And definitely start as early as possible! We also took a very cheap local bus back to Fira instead of a cab - more of a local experience and saved a fortune!!

But I'm thinking that the hike may not be possible if temperatures in the Med stay as high as they have been. And surely itineraries will be affected where islands have fires? I know Crete and Corfu have been affected.

• Thanks 1

When we last cruised into Santorini, having done a lot of research, we chose to stay on the ship!  Yes, it would be fun to see some of the sights, but we agreed we would rather come by ferry and choose a time with less tourists around.  You can visit the website "What's In Port" to see how many 6000 pax ships are disgorging the hoi polloi on any given day.  It was quite warm when we were there, and the options for getting around looked like they would involve a lot of waiting in line, unless one wanted to climb the steep stairs/ramp that is shared with donkeys who do what donkeys do, if you get my drift.  I've read of people slipping and falling into the unpleasantness, which made for a rather embarrassing trip back to the ship.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 11:44 AM, bitob said:

In Santorini just wander and have a great seafood lunch

in Crete I would hire a guide. You want to go to Knossos and perhaps the archeological museum

do you mean  Simi?

Thanks bitbob.  I just checked and it appears it is Sami.  Perhaps there is an alternate spelling I am unaware of.

Sami is a town and a municipality on the island of Cephalonia, Ionian Islands, Greece. Since the 2019 local government reform it is one of the three municipalities on the island. It is located on the central east coast of the island

CC Intelligentsia you are the cream of the crop.  I place high value on your input. Thank you!

We are on a 21 day port intensive Venice, Turkey, Greece trip in November.  We are not the type that needs to see everything and enjoy a quiet day on the ship.  It is our first traditional ocean cruise in ages having taken only expeditions of late.  I forgot how much research is needed and how many decisions need to be made in advance to optimize the experience while still being able to relax and enjoy.  We are traveling with friends and I grabbed private guides for numerous ports early on.  It's time to fillin the blanks,  or perhaps just leave them blank to take that evening stroll in Santorini.  I just checked and we are there till 11pm. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bitob said:

Beautiful port 

gorgeous harbor area

quaint colorful houses

home of sea sponges

sold everywhere 

great gifts

wander

no tour needed

stop for coffee or lunch

idyllic