Bay of Islands for the day

SelectSys

Our cruise is making a stop for the day and I am wondering how best to spend the day.  I am thinking about taking the ferry to Russell as an old Kiwi colleague used to rave about spending time there.  Of course a cruise stop is quite a bit different than a proper visit.  That said, I am open to any and all ideas.

Thanks in advance!

On 7/26/2023 at 1:58 PM, SelectSys said:

Our cruise is making a stop for the day and I am wondering how best to spend the day.  I am thinking about taking the ferry to Russell as an old Kiwi colleague used to rave about spending time there.  Of course a cruise stop is quite a bit different than a proper visit.  That said, I am open to any and all ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Hi.,  firstly welcome from San Diego - my favourite town in the US and where I have spent many happy holidays.

I was bought up in the Bay and so know it pretty well. Russell is in dead worth a visit. You can walk from Waitangi where you will more than likely tender to  - it's about a 20 minute walk along the beach or you can take the free bus put on by the local businessmen. It will drop you off at the Paihia wharf where you can catch a ferry across the bay.

Russell was of course NZs first capital and has been maintained as a pre colonial town with a stunning waterfront, gorgeous old pre colonial buildings and a great hotel for lunch. The Duke of Marlborough. 

There is a lot of history here, and the old church still has musket balls in its walls where the locals sheltered from the warring tribes.

There is a lot to be said for a trip on the water to "The Hole in the Rock". You will be able to google it. Depending on what time your ship is departing there could be time to do the fast boat to the hole (cape Brett) and then get off at Russell on its return and then a ferry back across to Paihia.

Happy to answer any questions, I hope you enjoy your day there. The Bay of Islands is truly one of NZs jewels in its crown.

regards

Roscoe

• Thanks 1

@roscoe39  Thanks so much for responding to my request!  I appreciate the additional detail you have provided. Based on your suggestion, I have added the "Hole in the Rock" as a secondary objective.  I am really hoping for good weather as the scenery really looks spectacular in Internet photos.

BTW - Super happy to hear that you have enjoyed visiting our area.   San Diego is really distinct from the rest of Southern California.  San Diego also provides access to the Tijuana/Ensenada corridor which is real gem that is ignored/derided by the vast numbers of visitors and locals alike.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SelectSys said:

@roscoe39  Thanks so much for responding to my request!  I appreciate the additional detail you have provided. Based on your suggestion, I have added the "Hole in the Rock" as a secondary objective.  I am really hoping for good weather as the scenery really looks spectacular in Internet photos.

BTW - Super happy to hear that you have enjoyed visiting our area.   San Diego is really distinct from the rest of Southern California.  San Diego also provides access to the Tijuana/Ensenada corridor which is real gem that is ignored/derided by the vast numbers of visitors and locals alike.

oh I know about Tijuana...lol...when I used to go housesitting for my friends at months at a time if I got bored I would hop on the tram and cross the border for an afternoon of margaritas and enchiladas.... pre 911 of course... its a great town, Its where I would live given half a chance.

any moe questions just holler. I live in Auckland now but you can take the boy out of the bay but never the bay out of the boy

On 7/28/2023 at 3:03 PM, roscoe39 said:

any moe questions just holler. I live in Auckland now but you can take the boy out of the bay but never the bay out of the boy

I guess my other question would be if you had any lunch recommendations in Russell and any recommendations for an excursion beyond Auckland for the day.  Our plan for Auckland has been to 1) take the local tourist hop on hop off bus to see some of the city sites or 2) maybe the ferry to Waiheke Island.  

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I guess my other question would be if you had any lunch recommendations in Russell and any recommendations for an excursion beyond Auckland for the day.  Our plan for Auckland has been to 1) take the local tourist hop on hop off bus to see some of the city sites or 2) maybe the ferry to Waiheke Island.  

lunch in Russell is definitely the Duke of Marlborough. You nay have to book, but it's great. Set right on the beach and it should have marlin on the menu depending on what time of the year you are there. Other wise the fish and chips. Great hotel and world famous.

Auckland - have you thought about Hobbitton? I know...I know...but I resisted it fr years and then when I went there I was a convert. 

Waiheke is a good choice, especially if you like wine, there are a number of vineyards that do tours tastings and serve lunch. The Mud Brick Vineyard is close to the ferry and has a very good reputation.

The little town of Oneroa above the beach is a 15 minute walk if you didn't want to catch the bus and has some great cafes.

Auckland has a lot of venues, the Museum is fantastic, currently has an Egyptian exhibition on until November, and there is also the Kelly Tarltons. Both accessible from the hop on hop off bus.

Another excursion worth while considering is catching the ferry to Devonport -  a suburb and village across the harbour from where the ship will dock. A very quant victorian village with a great view back towards the city and a volcano at its back that you can walk up for an added view.

that should keep you going for a bit. Any further questions....keep em coming.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:48 PM, roscoe39 said:

lunch in Russell is definitely the Duke of Marlborough. You nay have to book, but it's great. Set right on the beach and it should have marlin on the menu depending on what time of the year you are there. Other wise the fish and chips. Great hotel and world famous.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I see that I can make a reservation online.

Auckland - have you thought about Hobbitton? I know...I know...but I resisted it for years and then when I went there I was a convert. 

Perhaps.  I read the books as a kid and have seen the movies.  I guess I will look to see how expensive it is.  I am kind of worried about doing this independently of the ship as it is quite far away from the port.

Another excursion worth while considering is catching the ferry to Devonport -  a suburb and village across the harbour from where the ship will dock. A very quant victorian village with a great view back towards the city and a volcano at its back that you can walk up for an added view.

Another good suggestion.

I appreciate all of the help!

On 7/30/2023 at 2:48 PM, roscoe39 said:

I second a visit to Devonport. Beautiful village. 

I'm glad to have found this thread.  I have questions about our stop at Bay of Islands?  We're on Oceania Insignia, and I would love to know the logistics of the port call.  Is it actually a port where we can disembark?  A town?  The ship's excursions to Russell are sold out, and I'm hoping there's something else to do there.  Help, please!

18 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

I'm glad to have found this thread.  I have questions about our stop at Bay of Islands?  We're on Oceania Insignia, and I would love to know the logistics of the port call.  Is it actually a port where we can disembark?  A town?  The ship's excursions to Russell are sold out, and I'm hoping there's something else to do there.  Help, please!

hi yo Philly,

don't panic if the excursions to Russell have sold out. There will be a free bus from the jetty at Waitangi where the tenders should berth into Paihia and you will be dropped off at the wharf. It's a short ferry ride across to Russell from there....about 20 minutes, You can easily walk the town and visit all the sites while eating an ice cream and for a bit of excercise walk up to the top of the hill to the flagstaff and view the stunning bay from there. any questions just ask - I was bought up in the Bay and even though I live in Auckland I know it pretty well.

ps...there is plenty to do there, from the Hole in the Rock boat trip to visiting Waitangi treaty grounds and Marae which is a short walk from the jetty., there's a beautiful Kauri Forest and some good restaurants. Paihia is a beautiful beach town.

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2023 at 2:54 AM, Tedferg said:

Isn't Hobbiton better done from Tauranga?

from either, there are day tours from Auckland - Tauranga is closer however often they are booked out so its another option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 3:10 AM, roscoe39 said:

hi yo Philly,

don't panic if the excursions to Russell have sold out. There will be a free bus from the jetty at Waitangi where the tenders should berth into Paihia and you will be dropped off at the wharf. It's a short ferry ride across to Russell from there....about 20 minutes, You can easily walk the town and visit all the sites while eating an ice cream and for a bit of excercise walk up to the top of the hill to the flagstaff and view the stunning bay from there. any questions just ask - I was bought up in the Bay and even though I live in Auckland I know it pretty well.

ps...there is plenty to do there, from the Hole in the Rock boat trip to visiting Waitangi treaty grounds and Marae which is a short walk from the jetty., there's a beautiful Kauri Forest and some good restaurants. Paihia is a beautiful beach town.

Thanks very much for your help.  I've made a note of your suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

@roscoe39 I hope you don't mind if I jump in with some questions of my own.

We are ending our cruise in Auckland and I am planning a few days on land after the cruise. I'm trying to decide if I should book a hotel in Auckland and do day trips or if we would enjoy spending a couple of days on Waiheke Island. We enjoy wine tasting and snorkeling. I thought perhaps staying on Waiheke might be a good fit for us. What is your opinion and do you think that would be a good fit? Where would be the best place to snorkel from the beach if we go that option?

Originally I thought to spend a few days in the Bay of Islands as it looks beautiful. However, I wasn't sure it would be a great fit if we only have a couple of ideas. It looks like we would have to go with tours and charters to see anything. Am I correct?

Our cruise is stopping in Bay of Islands as well. We have our excursions booked for all the NZ stops except Wellington. I'm planning to do DIY there.

Any and all advise is appreciated! We will have to plan another trip back to spend more time in the future.

12 hours ago, LabMom57 said:

@roscoe39 I hope you don't mind if I jump in with some questions of my own.

We are ending our cruise in Auckland and I am planning a few days on land after the cruise. I'm trying to decide if I should book a hotel in Auckland and do day trips or if we would enjoy spending a couple of days on Waiheke Island. We enjoy wine tasting and snorkeling. I thought perhaps staying on Waiheke might be a good fit for us. What is your opinion and do you think that would be a good fit? Where would be the best place to snorkel from the beach if we go that option? Waiheke is great, yes you could stay there overnight, I think one night would be more than enough or you could alternatively catch the fast boat there and be there in 30 minutes so it's quite doable in a day. Most of the good vineyards have restaurants and do tastings, you could easily fit in a swim then lunch at a vineyard and/or some tastings and be back on a later boat after a bit of a tour around. You would need transport, either. a car hire, or take taxis from place to place, there is no uber on the island. To be honest a swim off oneroa beach would be my choice but I don't know that there would be a lot to see with a snorkel.  There are some good hotels in the CBD close to Auckland port and spend a day  on the hop on hop off bus but definitely do Ponsonby and the Auckland Museum

Originally I thought to spend a few days in the Bay of Islands as it looks beautiful. However, I wasn't sure it would be a great fit if we only have a couple of ideas. It looks like we would have to go with tours and charters to see anything. Am I correct? The Bay of Islands is beautiful. On a fine day no where can beat it. If you are into all things water, there is plenty to fill in a day or two if you are staying in a motel/hotel in Paihia town. Its a smallish town but plenty of motels on the waterfront and then a few minutes walk to the wharf where you can do a boat cruise to the Hole in the Rock, the Cream Trip or out to see the dolphins etc. Russell is a must.You could also walk to the Treaty Grounds and museum along Ti bay but that could be something to do when your ship calls into the Bay as the tender port is at the bottom of the hill the treaty grounds are. If you have transport, Puketi forest and Kerikeri are really great. 

Our cruise is stopping in Bay of Islands as well. We have our excursions booked for all the NZ stops except Wellington. I'm planning to do DIY there.DO NOT MISS Te Papa Museum if you are doing Wellington as a DYI. Lots to do for free including the gardens, and the waterfront. You don't need to do a tour there unless you are particularly interested in the Weta Workshop. 

Any and all advise is appreciated! We will have to plan another trip back to spend more time in the future.

Hope you have a great trip, NZ is a fantastic country, I'm a very proud Kiwi.

There are a couple of articles from my Travel column in a magazine that I write for to give you a taste of :

the Bay

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2022/02/roscoe-continues-north-in-car-lotta-to.html

hobbiton

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2020/01/hobbiton-or-bust.html

the Fjords

https://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2013/09/adventures-into-shadowland-milford.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dear Ross, 

My husband and I are much older than most people on these boards. 
We will be in Auckland for two days while on the Queen Anne Maiden World cruise. 
We have already been to Waiheke Island, although he is hell bent on returning and I can not find fault with that. 
Other than perhaps smuggling you onboard, if you are in the area, what would you suggest we do in Auckland? 😇
Evana

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 4:38 AM, bananavan said:

Dear Ross, 

My husband and I are much older than most people on these boards. 
We will be in Auckland for two days while on the Queen Anne Maiden World cruise. 
We have already been to Waiheke Island, although he is hell bent on returning and I can not find fault with that. 
Other than perhaps smuggling you onboard, if you are in the area, what would you suggest we do in Auckland? 😇
Evana

Hi Evana, sorry just saw this post, there's plenty to do in Auckland depending on your interests. I often suggest taking the ferry to Devonport, across the bay its a lovely victorian suburb -lots of cafes, art shops and a lovely walk up the Mount Victoria for a view of the city. Auckland has a fantastic museum, there is a hop on hop off bus that drops you there,  there's Kelly Tarltons which is a large aquarium, look it up. Very popular. Ponsonby, which is my suburb is the place to come for lunch - more restaurants bars and cafes than you can shake a stick at and apparently the shopping is pretty good as well. The viaduct which is a short walk from the port is also great for bars and cafes and is the jump off place for any waterborne excursions - americas cup yacht experiences etc, also a very good maritime museum. The sky city tower has a fast speed lift to take you up to the observation level and if you don't like lifts you can always bungee jump off it to get back down. Incidentally you can also bungee jump off our harbour bridge - if thats your thing.

Knock yourself out. Its a great city, if you want any specifics, please ask...regards Roscoe 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 8:19 PM, possum52 said:

I second a visit to Devonport. Beautiful village. 

This is what we did last winter.  We really enjoyed the day.

Also, as to Hobbiton, we did not do it from Auckland but from Taranga, but it was really, really great.  I was the one so wanting to see it, but it turned out to be all of our favorite excursion.  We used a private company.  Yes, it is far from Auckland though.

For the Bay of Islands we did another independent tour that went to glowworm caves, some falls, historic house, beautiful forest with  (forgot the name of them) lovely giant trees, etc.  Very enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 1:04 AM, roscoe39 said:

Ponsonby, which is my suburb is the place to come for lunch - more restaurants bars and cafes than you can shake a stick at and apparently the shopping is pretty good as well.

Roscoe, is there public transit from CBD to Ponsonby?

On 7/30/2023 at 2:20 PM, SelectSys said:

I can definitely recommend "The Duke", the Duke of Marlborough Hotel is on the waterfront in Russell and when I say the waterfront, I mean, you could tip your excess ice from your gin into the surf. 

Russell is picturesque and an untouched colonial pleasure.

I can also recommend the ferry to Waiheke for a day trip, either to the many wineries, the beaches or just for an outing. Devonport is also a short ferry ride across the harbour and is popular for a day trip in the morning, and have time to do the Auckland Museum on your return.

If you are inclined, there are a couple of bus tours that will take you to the Waitakeres. They call them mountains, but they are hills really, covered in native bush and kauri. There is a great suburb up there called Titirangi and further over the beaches of Piha and Murawai. If you venture this way check first as they were badly affected by the floods and storms earlier in the year and there is still a lot of damage with the roads only just being reopened.

A longer days outing will be Hobbitton. I can thoroughly recommend it as well, although you would need to check timing as it will be a long days travel.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:34 PM, roscoe39 said:

Have a great trip!

Thanks, it really isn't a proper visit to NZ, but I am looking forward to it none the less.  I really would like to come back for a more extensive visit when I can.  

On 9/19/2023 at 8:34 PM, roscoe39 said:

A longer days outing will be Hobbitton. I can thoroughly recommend it as well, although you would need to check timing as it will be a long days travel

I am sure.  I would only tackle this one with the ship's tour which is likely to be super expensive.  It's definitely something to consider.

• Like 1