La Dame- $160 pp or $320 for dinner for 2!!!!

A Tucson Guy

1 hour ago, caripoo said:

We just got off the Dawn.......It was WELL worth the price, BUT it won't at the new price......

I agree that at $120 for two, count me in. At $320 for two, unless they are including fabulous expensive wines, I can't see the value or ROI.

The dress code at La Dame and its enhanced experience and higher price point aboard the Nova was stated as formal every evening.  

In an interesting twist, Silversea has just communicated the dress code for the Silver Nova as Elegant Casual and Formal Optional (see the dress code thread for the latest communication). 

Somehow I'm not seeing passengers packing formal attire solely to dine in La Dame...is the Maitre'D really going to turn away passengers who are willing to pay $160pp if they're not dressed in formal attire on a ship whose dress code is formal optional?  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I agree that at $120 for two, count me in. At $320 for two, unless they are including fabulous expensive wines, I can't see the value or ROI.

If you think about it and include the cost of the meal you didn't have at let's say Atlantide, which if it were in an upscale restaurant would be around $200 for 2, OK let's say it's only $160 for 2 (I'm being very conservative with these costs.  We pay a lot more in Los Angeles.) and you've already paid that in your cruise fare, that puts the effective net total cost of La Dame at $480 for 2.  Kinda steep unless they pour some pretty expensive wines.

10 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

If you think about it and include the cost of the meal you didn't have at let's say Atlantide, which if it were in an upscale restaurant would be around $200 for 2, OK let's say it's only $160 for 2 (I'm being very conservative with these costs.  We pay a lot more in Los Angeles.) and you've already paid that in your cruise fare, that puts the effective net total cost of La Dame at $480 for 2.  Kinda steep unless they pour some pretty expensive wines.

Good analogy. 

Since I started this thread, I wanted to update folks with some new updates. A week or two ago, I had sent Barbara M. an email regarding the new upcharge and the fact that we had already confirmed La Dame on the 8-21-23 cruise for two nights at $60 per person upcharge and now it is showing $160 per person. I just received an email from somebody at SS to let me know they are working on respecting the original price. I will post when I get a final answer. I will try and post my review of the new La Dame dinner and see if it is really worth $320 for us.

Hello Alfred,

I am reaching out to you regarding your dinner reservations onboard the Nova for your upcoming voyages. The request has been seen and we are working on respecting the original price and the dinner times. Once completed I will be reaching back out to inform you.

Thank you for your continued support of Silversea.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael Moya | Reservations - The Americas

Silversea Cruises

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

And “in this moment”.  

Not as useless as “that being  said” or the companion “it goes without saying”

Thank you. I shall not use those phrases going forward. At the end of the day they are nonsense. 

• Haha 4

I am on Nova in Oct and was shocked when saw the $160 for La Dame.  Did not book - then somewhere on the SS cite saw that it was 60 for dinner only and 160 was with different wines for each course.  Now finding it hard to get to it again.   

28 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

I am on Nova in Oct and was shocked when saw the $160 for La Dame.  Did not book - then somewhere on the SS cite saw that it was 60 for dinner only and 160 was with different wines for each course.  Now finding it hard to get to it again.   

Why on earth did they not say that in the first place?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

I have not seen anywhere that the price is $60 or $160 with upgraded wines.

• Like 1

here it is:  www.silversea.com/life-onboard/luxury-cruise-fine-dining/la-dame.html

La Dame

La Dame features a bespoke menu by our top chefs, and is the highest expression of excellence of French dining. The ambience is one of chic contemporary style, with crisp white table linens and the impeccable white gloved service associated with Silversea. Named after “La Dame de Paris” or the Eiffel Tower, La Dame echoes the traditions and cultures embedded in the French gastronomic past, while respecting its bright culinary future. Quintessentially Parisian, extremely elegant and very refined, meals at La Dame are a fusion of tradition and modernity.

Per guest reservation fee of US$60 and US$160 (incl. complimentary wine pairing) for Silver Nova. Please visit My Silversea to make your reservations. la-dame.

53 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

here it is:  www.silversea.com/life-onboard/luxury-cruise-fine-dining/la-dame.html

La Dame

La Dame features a bespoke menu by our top chefs, and is the highest expression of excellence of French dining. The ambience is one of chic contemporary style, with crisp white table linens and the impeccable white gloved service associated with Silversea. Named after “La Dame de Paris” or the Eiffel Tower, La Dame echoes the traditions and cultures embedded in the French gastronomic past, while respecting its bright culinary future. Quintessentially Parisian, extremely elegant and very refined, meals at La Dame are a fusion of tradition and modernity.

Per guest reservation fee of US$60 and US$160 (incl. complimentary wine pairing) for Silver Nova. Please visit My Silversea to make your reservations. la-dame.

Humm?? Very interesting.

2 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Humm?? Very interesting.

What do you find interesting about MsCrystalina La Dame post?  To me it's just a general description of La Dame whereby the cost is $60 on every ship not named Nova and $160 on Nova. 

As usual, poorly written by Silversea.  You'd think after all of the years they would have hired someone who majored in English by now to proofread their marketing materials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, HappyCamper777 said:

What do you find interesting about MsCrystalina La Dame post?  To me it's just a general description of La Dame whereby the cost is $60 on every ship not named Nova and $160 on Nova. 

As usual, poorly written by Silversea.  You'd think after all of the years they would have hired someone who majored in English by now to proofread their marketing materials.

You're right about poorly written. Had the end parenthesis been after Nova, I would have agreed.  But this way, on other ships, price is $60 without complimentary wines.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, HappyCamper777 said:

You are correct as I misread it. I now see.

• Thanks 1

I assumed that's what they were trying to say - 160 on Nova, 60 for the rest of you plebes... I'm still struggling to speak French after 40 years so I understand how things get lost in translation. But yeah, hire a pro!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

I have eaten in La Dame and Kaiseki on Silver Dawn and at $60 and $40 respectively they were fair to poor value. Imagine when I saw the price increases for Silver Nova!! The $80 for Kaiseki admittedly includes some fancy drinks, but La Dame's new price doesn't.

This is ridiculous gouging and you need to be super rich or just stupid to pay these prices. $320 for two is well into Michelin Star territory ashore and don't kid yourselves Silversea, La Dame wouldn't make any Michelin list.

This news actually soured my view on Silversea and took away the edge of my excitement about my upcoming trip. This would never have happened before Royal Caribbean bought the line. I hope sensible cruisers vote with their feet and these restaurants now prove hard to fill. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lascellesman said:

I have eaten in La Dame and Kaiseki on Silver Dawn and at $60 and $40 respectively they were fair to poor value. Imagine when I saw the price increases for Silver Nova!! The $80 for Kaiseki admittedly includes some fancy drinks, but La Dame's new price doesn't.

This is ridiculous gouging and you need to be super rich or just stupid to pay these prices. $320 for two is well into Michelin Star territory ashore and don't kid yourselves Silversea, La Dame wouldn't make any Michelin list.

This news actually soured my view on Silversea and took away the edge of my excitement about my upcoming trip. This would never have happened before Royal Caribbean bought the line. I hope sensible cruisers vote with their feet and these restaurants now prove hard to fill. 

I wouldn’t move on from SS solely because the upcharge has increased in a venue that I can easily do without.  The experience is barely worth the $60 and the $160 would be worth it only if I run out of things on which to spend OBC.  The wine pairing isn’t important to me…I always regret ordering wine-pairings with tasting menus on shore…I just can’t drink all that wine.

As to having to be “super rich” to afford it…if one can afford to sail SS then one can certainly afford an upcharge.  It is the principle of the thing, though.  I get that.  BTW, Michelin* restaurants aren’t necessarily more expensive than non-Michelin.  On shore a multi-course meal with wine-pairing is a bargain at $160 PP…if it’s actually good!

• Like 2

I went to La Champagne a couple of times waaay back when it was $40.

Didn't think it was worth it then.

Haven't been near Champagne/Dame since, haven't missed it in nearly 500 days SS sailing.

Hasn't detracted from my cruising enjoyment.

Perfectly happy with all the other eating options, esp. Muse class ships.

• Like 1

Below is the email from SS regarding honoring our La Dame reservations. I will post how the dinners we felt about the dinners!

Hello Alfred,

I have just received notice regarding our request. Your reservations have been confirmed for both of your voyages.

La Dame has been confirmed for August 21, 23, and 29.  The reservations will not show in the booking activities page as it was specifically approved by the manager onboard.  November reservations are confirmed and reflect in your booking.

The price of $60 per person will be honored onboard.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael Moya | Reservations - The Americas

Silversea Cruises

• Like 3

We were on the Muse in July (Sew-Van). We ate at both Kaiseki and La Dame. We enjoyed both. For Kaiseki we asked for a "Saki" wine sampling and enjoyed through the multi course meal. At LaDame we asked the Sommelier for an "included" wine pairing for the multi course dinner including after dinner cognac. The wines selected by Sommelier were very enjoyable. We would not pay the Nova pricing.