Do Canadians/Americans need eVisa for Mediterranean cruise with multiple Turkey stops (Nov 2023)?

fuc847

Confused as online seems to suggest yes but also some say cruiser have an exemption and all we need is to carry our cruise card while on port?  This is for Nov, 2023.  

As a Canadian passport holder, do I need to apply/pay for anything special if my cruise starting in Italy stops at Kusadasi (1 day) and Istanbul (2 day port) ? 

My cruise agent just sent me a link which is vague...

It used to be  if it was  a port stop  you could enter VISA FREE 

If you are flying in/out of Turkiye  you would need  an E Visa

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

From the Turkish  site

https://www.mfa.gov.tr/frequently-asked-questions.en.mfa

Having 2  port stops but not staying in Turkiye    ...you may want to contact  them for clarification

thanks according to your link : "Answer: Foreigners who are travelling to Türkiye by cruises are allowed to enter Türkiye without visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities.  "

So that means we do NOT need any visa, ok. Hopefully I can hear from others who done this before. We are not flying in/out of turkey , just staying at these 2 ports for not more than 72 hrs total.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fuc847 said:

thanks according to your link : "Answer: Foreigners who are travelling to Türkiye by cruises are allowed to enter Türkiye without visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities.  "

So that means we do NOT need any visa, ok. Hopefully I can hear from others who done this before. We are not flying in/out of turkey , just staying at these 2 ports for not more than 72 hrs total.

I've been to Turkey on cruise ships many times, including as recently as last October (Kusadasi). The rule as stated above is correct. If you're on a cruise ship that's not porting more than 72 hours (per port I believe, not cumulative but I'm not 100% sure of that) and you are not flying into or out of Turkey before or after, you do NOT need to apply for the eVisa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I think the new e-visa begins in 2024 but no official date has been set. It has been delayed a few years now.

The visa for Turkey has nothing to do with the upcoming ETIAS requirement (not really a visa...). Turkey is neither part of the EU or the Schengen zone.

• Like 1

im not an expert, but I believe any required visias will be taken care of by the cruise line.  I have been on  Baltic cruise, and the visa was taken care by the cruise line.  Middle East cruise, visa taken care of by cruise line.  You can always call the cruieline and ask ( just be prepared to be transferred to a few people)

On Enchanted Princess in April, two stops in Turkey, Kudashi and Istanbul no visa required as Australian passenger entering by cruise ship.  Check your government website for information, in Australia it is DFAT, Department of foreign affairs and trade.  I am sure all countries will have a similar website wit information on visa requirements.  
As an aside one man at our dinner table told us we wouldn’t be allowed off the ship and he had paid $300 AUD each for himself and his wife.  Even if we had to purchase a visa it would have been approx $60 each.