Is Celebrity going to Eliminate Butlers on Sky and Celebrity Suites?

terrydtx

3 minutes ago, SI Cruiser said:

This will allow for a more efficient approach, providing the same products and personalized services

I highly doubt that some invisible team can provide the same "personalized services" that have been provided in the past by a single identifiable butler.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I highly doubt that some invisible team can provide the same "personalized services" that have been provided in the past by a single identifiable butler.

I agree a team will never offer the personalized service of the one dedicated butler.  For example, I like my coffee stronger that what Celebrity room service provides, we ask our butlers to add a few extra shots of espresso to our morning pot of coffee the first morning and they then do that for us every morning without asking. Our butler has always known what we prefer for our afternoon appetizers in our cabin and usually they are waiting for us when we return to the cabin in the afternoons. Our butlers have all offered to bring drinks from the bar to our cabin, without asking. I have walked back to my cabin with a drink and had my butler scold me for not calling him or her first.  Will we continue to get this type of personalized service with a "Team", I think we all know that answer. One good thing is we will be tipping a lot less. We allocate between $10 and $15 per day for our butler in extra cash gratuity, I will not be tipping a team that will not offer the personalized service we are used to and expect,

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 8

If (and that is a big IF) done correctly, I suppose the Retreat Team concept may actually enhance the customer experience.  On the Edge series ships there are so many Sky Suites that sometimes any particular butler may be overwhelmed. 

The Retreat Team would allow the workload to be more evenly distributed, ASSUMING that there are enough members in the team.  Hopefully Celebrity did some analysis to optimize the number of members to include in the team, but I fear it will be trial and error leading to many frustrated suite passengers.

3 hours ago, Mark_K said:

If they follow the Royal Caribbean Junior Suite model, you would get Luminae, but not the lounge nor the sundeck.

Also, Internet, gratuities, and drinks wouldn’t be included.

I don't believe Jr. Suites have access to the CA Kitchen which is the suite version of Luminae.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

If (and that is a big IF) done correctly, I suppose the Retreat Team concept may actually enhance the customer experience.  On the Edge series ships there are so many Sky Suites that sometimes any particular butler may be overwhelmed. 

The Retreat Team would allow the workload to be more evenly distributed, ASSUMING that there are enough members in the team.  Hopefully Celebrity did some analysis to optimize the number of members to include in the team, but I fear it will be trial and error leading to many frustrated suite passengers.

I switched my financial adviser company when my previous one went from a dedicated adviser to a "team" and they used the same argument you mention above. It was not at all the level of service of what I was getting before, not even close so I jumped ship with them too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

I don't believe Jr. Suites have access to the CA Kitchen which is the suite version of Luminae.

On some ships either no access or reduced access (just dinner service with a reservation).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We have considered our Butlers more of our friends than a "servant" and have stayed in contact with a couple. I have reached out to one in particular to see if he is one on the chopping block, I have not heard back from him yet.

We have remained friends with a couple of butlers too. I have reached out to one, out of concern for her job. Sounds like she’s okay but said that it’s heartbreaking and would never want anyone to lose their job. They may not know exactly what will happen yet. Time will tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We have considered our Butlers more of our friends than a "servant" and have stayed in contact with a couple. I have reached out to one in particular to see if he is one on the chopping block, I have not heard back from him yet.

I have done the same and also have not heard back from him.

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

On some ships either no access or reduced access (just dinner service with a reservation).

I saw a post on the social media site we can't mention here that RCL is making changes with their 'Genie" butlers.

1 minute ago, Gracie115 said:

I have done the same and also have not heard back from him.

Since it appears that the leak and resulting fire storm of this possible change originated from correspondence between a butler and passenger, I suspect the butlers are being now told to keep quiet on this. My friend usually gets back to me quickly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

So butlers became Retreat Host and now Retreat Team?

Actually butlers became Retreat Hosts then became butlers again and now Retreat Team, unless you are staying in an upper suite in which case they are still your butlers/hosts.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So butlers became Retreat Host and now Retreat Team?

Actually last year they went back to Butler. Our butler on the Reflection last August told me this and she was so happy about the change. I have yet to talk to a butler who liked being called a Retreat Host.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I switched my financial adviser company when my previous one went from a dedicated adviser to a "team" and they used the same argument you mention above. It was not at all the level of service of what I was getting before, not even close so I jumped ship with them too.

It seems that a Retreat Team concept might be beneficial to some in that a number of Sky Suite guests rarely use their Butler service according to posts here.  The team could provide more service to those that do???  We shall see.  And if you use a member of the Retreat Team quite a bit can you possibly request them?  Again, we shall see.  And does it seem that a CS and above will still have butlers?  Or will they be a personalized member of the Retreat Team just for them?  A lot of questions.  I can live with it personally, but I actually don't have any suites booked on Celebrity right now due to the high prices.  If I had a suite booked right now I would be irate at Celebrity for not communicating this change.  But it follows the recent trend.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

And I am so tired of hearing people complaining about something they can just walk away from. And something that is not unique to Celebrity. It is frankly boring.

Easy answer, move on to other topics.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Since it appears that the leak and resulting fire storm of this possible change originated from correspondence between a butler and passenger, I suspect the butlers are being now told to keep quiet on this. My friend usually gets back to me quickly.

I actually just now received a response and he stated that yes this is happening and that some of his friends are being reassigned to lesser positions.  He is actually on his way to the airport now, having just completed his 2 month break.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It seems that a Retreat Team concept might be beneficial to some in that a number of Sky Suite guests rarely use their Butler service according to posts here.  The team could provide more service to those that do???  We shall see.  And if you use a member of the Retreat Team quite a bit can you possibly request them?  Again, we shall see.  And does it seem that a CS and above will still have butlers?  Or will they be a personalized member of the Retreat Team just for them?  A lot of questions.  I can live with it personally, but I actually don't have any suites booked on Celebrity right now do to the high prices.  If I had a suite booked right now I would be irate at Celebrity for not communicating this change.  But it follows the recent trend.

We have 3 cruises booked in the Retreat, the first in September on the Apex, I will then be able to decide if this team concept works for the better but my gut tells me it will not. The high prices now for Sky Suites already had us looking at other cruise lines, and this new change is the last straw.

• Like 5