New Ocean Vessels And New Expedition Ships

Keith1010

Here’s a video of the announcement kindly shared by Francesca Barone who is onboard 

Planned Capacities are 

Expedition - 220 guests 

Ocean - 650 guests 

Nice sizes 

They hope to begin construction of 1 of each type by Q2 2024 and delivery of them all by 2029

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, History&Wine said:

Good news but FIVE years to build a ship????

Five years to build and commission 4 ships

The CEO did say they planned to commence 1 Ocean and 1 Expedition by Q2 2024 - I’d hope they would be in service in 2026 (just a personal estimate - could be earlier but I doubt later) 

A press release from Crystal about today's announcement.

Wonderful, wonderful news.

Keith 

Crystal Announces Plans for Four New Ships in Six Years

Today, during an executive briefing to media and travel advisors sailing onboard Crystal Serenity’s preview voyage, Cristina Levis, CEO of A&K Travel Group, announced that the brand is working with their advisors, lenders and export credit agents in order to sign a memorandum of agreement with two European shipbuilders for four new ships. This will include two classic ships and two expedition vessels. 

During the presentation, Levis stated, "We have ambitious growth plans for Crystal and are proud of what we have accomplished with the relaunch of Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony in just under a year following the purchase of the brand. We are now thrilled to formally announce that we will be growing our fleet and continue to offer the most exceptional cruising experiences in the industry.”  

In just a few short days on July 31, Crystal Serenity will set sail for its inaugural voyage departing from Marseille following an extensive refurbishment. Crystal Serenity’s sister ship Crystal Symphony will depart from Athens on Sept. 1, for its inaugural sailing. 

8 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

It will be interesting to see how long  the travel agents who refuse to promote Crystal can hold out.

Really --- you think two old ships are going to compete with new ships like the Explora class ships also sailing for TA's???  Just compare the photos and remarks...

I would be interested in which banks and export credit agencies are going to loan money to A&K.  I bet Hermes is not one of them.

High interest rates are not the best time to be building and financing new ships.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 1

@PaulMCO   We are actually in agreement.  I don't think Crystal can compete without new ships.   That is why I posted on this thread. 

And I agree that finding suitable financing will be key.  Carnival was bleeding cash big time and still managed to finance new ships...albeit at high rates.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

@PaulMCO   We are actually in agreement.  I don't think Crystal can compete without new ships.   That is why I posted on this thread. 

And I agree that finding suitable financing will be key.  Carnival was bleeding cash big time and still managed to finance new ships...albeit at high rates.  

Yes agree.  Buy why the Expedition ships, as A&K is not a big player in expedition cruises with one part-time leased Ponant ship. 

Is Manfredi trying to make a copy of Silversea.  Over expansion was his lucky downfall when RCL bought him out pre Covid.

54 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:
29 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes agree.  Buy why the Expedition ships, as A&K is not a big player in expedition cruises with one part-time leased Ponant ship. 

Is Manfredi trying to make a copy of Silversea.  Over expansion was his lucky downfall when RCL bought him out pre Covid.

I

People want new adventures. Not everyone wants the same.

For example some want to see Galapagos and Antarctica to name just a few and you can't do them on Ocean Vessels. Expedition is very popular too with those in younger age brackets (yes those who can afford them) so this make a lot of sense IMHO.

They did want to buy Endeavor. 

Funny about what you say. Sold Silversea and look where he is now.

And while a few thought he would make Crystal into SS I don't see that at all with what is the current offering.

Carnival by the way bought many different cruise lines and didn't make them into Carnival.

Personally very excited. I had two bookings on Endeavor and if we are fortunate with health would love to do Crystal expedition ships.

Keith

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Really --- you think two old ships are going to compete with new ships like the Explora class ships also sailing for TA's???  Just compare the photos and remarks...

I would be interested in which banks and export credit agencies are going to loan money to A&K.  I bet Hermes is not one of them.

High interest rates are not the best time to be building and financing new ships.

Re: Explora….the initial photos are impressive, but I have it on very good authority that sales haven’t been a “slam-dunk” Many agents were  waiting to see the finished product first, and a real impediment is MSC’s reputation for dreadful customer service and back office operations. Regardless of what the front line executives say, it’s all MSC behind the scenes, and I know many agents who refuse to book them, as they can’t waste dozens of phone calls over many weeks to receive a paltry $100 commission 

I am starting a wish list for the essential elements for the new ships.

Top of my list for the ocean ships is a promenade deck just like Symphony and Serenity.  It must go all the way around, must be about deck 7, and nice and wide.

Second is a good dance floor.  And third is cabins at a variety of price points.

With all the new builds appearing in the luxury category, I look for items that distinguish Crystal from all the others.

Anybody care to chime in?

I'd like to see a restaurant whose menus change to reflect where the ship is cruising - local food in that place.

I also would like to continue the Crystal traditional that all locations (other than laundry rooms) are available for all - no special places for top floor rooms only

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ant@sea said:

Re: Explora….the initial photos are impressive, but I have it on very good authority that sales haven’t been a “slam-dunk” Many agents were  waiting to see the finished product first, and a real impediment is MSC’s reputation for dreadful customer service and back office operations. Regardless of what the front line executives say, it’s all MSC behind the scenes, and I know many agents who refuse to book them, as they can’t waste dozens of phone calls over many weeks to receive a paltry $100 commission 

Paltry commission on a 20K fare  -- highly doubt that..  

Do you think Crystals sales are stunning??  The same is true with Crystal but MSC does not have the history of OC stiffing their agents.

The initial Explora photo's are not just impressive but stunning.  So are the menus.   That is why it is important for Crystal to have new ships ASAP.  The announcement is good.

I would criticize the the small company going in many directions by going after the crowded expedition market.  It is crowded and competing against luxury incumbents SS and new luxury ships by Seabourn will not be easy and resources could be spent in other areas.

We all know what happens when you start diversifying and not focusing on your core. We saw it with GHK.

• Like 1

I would love to see Crystal build a ship just like Endeavor, which we spent a wonderful nine days on sailing among the British Virgins (though our view of it might have been influenced by the fact that we shared it with only 47 other guests in the post-pandemic aftermath).