New Ocean Vessels And New Expedition Ships

Keith1010

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Paltry commission on a 20K fare  -- highly doubt that..  

Do you think Crystals sales are stunning??  The same is true with Crystal but MSC does not have the history of OC stiffing their agents.

The initial Explora photo's are not just impressive but stunning.  So are the menus.   That is why it is important for Crystal to have new ships ASAP.  The announcement is good.

I would criticize the the small company going in many directions by going after the crowded expedition market.  It is crowded and competing against luxury incumbents SS and new luxury ships by Seabourn will not be easy and resources could be spent in other areas.

We all know what happens when you start diversifying and not focusing on your core. We saw it with GHK.

Re:commission—that’s for an MSC cruise but illustrates the poor service agents receive and have to fight to get, which leads to leeriness about booking Explora. On the agent preview cruise, I’ve seen photos of many top OC Agebts who were stiff HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars commissions but they still showed up by virtue of Manfredi. Their challenge will be to convince any of theirclients who got stiffed to rebook. I do agre with you that to go off and start up with expedition ships may be misguided given the glut of ships now in that category. Lindblad just released their quarterly financial report and mentioned that they had to contend with competition slashing rates. 

13 minutes ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

I would love to see Crystal build a ship just like Endeavor, which we spent a wonderful nine days on sailing among the British Virgins (though our view of it might have been influenced by the fact that we shared it with only 47 other guests in the post-pandemic aftermath).

Crystal needs to build a ship to compete with Vikings Octantis and Polaris. I am fortunate to live in a Great Lakes port that has the O and P pass through on a regular basis. The two ships are truly majestic - hard to explain, but I was driving down a hill the other day and saw the O or P passing by - drove down to the marina for a better look - and the view took my breath away.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Crystal needs to build a ship to compete with Vikings Octantis and Polaris. I am fortunate to live in a Great Lakes port that has the O and P pass through on a regular basis. The two ships are truly majestic - hard to explain, but I was driving down a hill the other day and saw the O or P passing by - drove down to the marina for a better look - and the view took my breath away.

I find those 2 Viking ships odd, as they were built for polar conditions but only spend half the time in Antarctic waters, where one of them suffered damage resulting in a passengers death. 

This discussion is interesting.

Yes Crystal needs new ships to compete in the luxury arena.  No doubt about that and that is to attract new customers and to provide the best luxury product.

The owning company is not like the old and don't even want to mention their name.  They understand the Crystal product and its customers.  They are diversified in a positive way as they are owners of a diverse group of business but a core strength is high end travel.

And when it comes to Crystal they are focusing in on two key areas new ocean builds and new expedition vessels and not things like River Cruise Vessels which could not make money nor airplanes.  Expedition ships are not only popular but can be quite profitable.

Like most things time will tell. What I find interesting is a few months ago some saying Crystal can't play or perform well in this market and at least one of those people is now posting doubts about this.

So it goes.

Keith 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ant@sea said:

I find those 2 Viking ships odd, as they were built for polar conditions but only spend half the time in Antarctic waters, where one of them suffered damage resulting in a passengers death. 

It doesn’t get anymore majestic than this - a vision appearing out of the fog in the Soo locks - May 2022 ( not my foto so I do not take credit for it). 

7E219643-B0BB-434A-A81A-D76F19C43570.jpeg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RD64 said:

The two ships are truly majestic - hard to explain, but I was driving down a hill the other day and saw the O or P passing by

It takes a LOT more than looking nice to be successful - we sailed Viking ocean recently and found the food and some other aspects, such as waiting for 30 minutes in The Restaurant to get a table and dealing with service delays caused by being on a drinks package, not something we would repeat. Viking need to sort those issues out if they wish to be a true luxury line 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

It takes a LOT more than looking nice to be successful - we sailed Viking ocean recently and found the food and some other aspects, such as waiting for 30 minutes in The Restaurant to get a table and dealing with service delays caused by being on a drinks package, not something we would repeat. Viking need to sort those issues out if they wish to be a true luxury line 

I have not been on Viking myself, but I have a dear friend who recently tried her first Viking cruise and was complaining about almost the exact same things. So it would seem you are not alone here...your experience was not a one-off.

I'm at the point now where I'm reluctant to try an unknown cruise line. I've been on enough cruises to know which lines I like, and which ones I didn't like, and why. I can't cruise nearly as often as I like, so I'm limiting myself to known entities.

(Although, strictly speaking, Crystal is now an unknown entity! But I have a year to watch the reports coming out to see if it really will be the same cruise experience I loved so much.) 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leejnd4 said:

So it would seem you are not alone here...your experience was not a one-off.

There are good things and bad about Viking Ocean. We have only sailed Viking once and OC several times. The high point of Viking ships as far as I can tell is the very large number of spaces to find a little room to breathe. The atrium and retractable roof over the pool deck are outstanding. Chefs Table is very good but OC dining, especially from 2017 and earlier is, to my mind, generally superior. Both have very gracious and attentive staff. We will sail a TA on Viking in November. Can’t wait to be on NC but yet to book. (Full disclosure, also booked on Sea Cloud but that is a different experience.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

I would love to see Crystal build a ship just like Endeavor, which we spent a wonderful nine days on sailing among the British Virgins (though our view of it might have been influenced by the fact that we shared it with only 47 other guests in the post-pandemic aftermath).

We loved Endeavor as well and I expect we will love the new expedition ships.  It is clear new Crystal will be a great luxury experience.

Keith

good to hear about expedition ships - the only thing that ever made me think about crystal

22 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I like to read all posts on a board good or bad rather than trying to be the moderator.

I seek views from all on cc not just cheerleaders and influencers

shame that some take negatives about their favorite cruiseline to be a personal attack 

as an 'outsider' I worry that on board I would be snubbed by the crystal clique (old or new)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, seaknots said:

good to hear about expedition ships - the only thing that ever made me think about crystal

shame that some take negatives about their favorite cruiseline to be a personal attack 

as an 'outsider' I worry that on board I would be snubbed by the crystal clique (old or new)

For the record (and since this conversation was likely inspired by my comments about snarky digs at certain members here): I do not take negatives about the cruise line to be a "personal attack". I take actual digs directed at the MEMBER to be "personal attacks". And there have been many of those. Many.

In fact, calling someone who focuses only on the positive a "cheerleader" is not a particularly nice thing to say, as it's an attempt to invalidate their opinions by implying that they are not a credible source due to bias or an agenda. Someone's positive and optimistic nature does not mean they are a "cheerleader". I think we all know that word has pretty negative connotations here on CC.

I too am interested in hearing ALL perspectives, good AND bad. I've got a cruise on Symphony booked for next year, and I am eager to hear how close it will come to my prior Crystal experiences. If reports indicate it's not, I will cancel. But I definitely also want to hear the glowing reviews from those who are focused on the positive!

As for being snubbed - let me tell you my story. Years ago I posted a comment about a really awful experience I had with Crystal's land-based service. I got roundly vilified in here...to the point where some members actually said they were leaving CC because they were so mortified that I had the nerve to criticize their beloved cruise line. One member went so far as to call a crew member she knew onboard, telling him to "watch out" for me because I was going to be "trouble" on the ship. I went on that cruise, and had the BEST CRUISE OF MY LIFE, partly due to the wonderful people I met on our roll-call, as well as many other cruisers, some of whom I am still friends with today. And the crew member who was "warned" about me made a point of getting to know me, and we too bonded (which is how I found out about that ridiculous phone call - we had a few good laughs over it). 

And let's not forget that the percentage of cruisers onboard who are members of CC, and who might be inclined to "snub" you, is tiny. Point being, you really can just toss out any concerns you have over being "snubbed" onboard due to what happens in here. This is the internet. People often behave very differently from behind their keyboard than they do in person. 😉 

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Like 9

36 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Back to the new ships:

Are we as forum members supposed to come up with or help with the names of the new ships?😀😆

Crystal Finally?? Crystal About Time??? Crystal Better Late Than Never??? 😁😁😁

Happy to hear the news of the new ships, but after so many "false starts/hopes" with the previous owners, I will remain sceptical until they finally cut steel and lay the keel.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ctjon said:

Back to the new ships:

Are we as forum members supposed to come up with or help with the names of the new ships?😀😆

Of course there will be guesses and speculation. Before the Serenity was officially named, most of the guesses were related to music. After all... Harmony...then Symphony. So how about Aria, Allegro, Overture, etc. Then came "Serenity", and oh!, it all makes sense. Let the speculation commence, it's just fun to do.

7 hours ago, Shorex said:

Of course there will be guesses and speculation. Before the Serenity was officially named, most of the guesses were related to music. After all... Harmony...then Symphony. So how about Aria, Allegro, Overture, etc. Then came "Serenity", and oh!, it all makes sense. Let the speculation commence, it's just fun to do.

And whatever name they choose, two years later, Royal Caribbean will "steal it" for the "next" Iconic Class (or whatever they call the next monstrosity) ship!!😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, seaknots said:

I don't know anyone on this board who takes a criticism of Crystal as a "personal" attack.

They might not agree with all negative comments or with those who "only" have negative comments, but I don't know "anyone" who takes it personally.

Also. people who enjoy a cruise line IMHO are not cheerleaders IMHO but they are often fans.

My opinion is if someone wants to feel welcome on a board or on land to a group, don't start off with the insults of others. JMO

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Someone's positive and optimistic nature does not mean they are a "cheerleader". I think we all know that word has pretty negative connotations here on CC.

sorry, I had no idea that the term is considered offensive. I thought cruisers were proud to support their favorite cruiseline

20 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Point being, you really can just toss out any concerns you have over being "snubbed" onboard due to what happens in here. This is the internet. People often behave very differently from behind their keyboard than they do in person.

yours was a very disturbing story but good that you had an enjoyable experience on board

I worried that Crystal cruisers might only welcome sycophants or those with nothing negative to say about this cruiseline with a very troubled history

18 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

The Internet's a funny place.

People get so touchy don't they 😀

very true

touchy and needlessly defensive

• Like 4

Trying to get this back on topic if that is possible these days.

Lots of excitement on board about the new vessels.

Provides guests with many more choices.

Provides crew with many opportunities.

Very happy.

Keith 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, seaknots said:

sorry, I had no idea that the term is considered offensive. I thought cruisers were proud to support their favorite cruiseline

You must be new here. 😉 Welcome to Cruise Critic!

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Trying to get this back on topic if that is possible these days.

Lots of excitement on board about the new vessels.

Provides guests with many more choices.

Provides crew with many opportunities.

Very happy.

Keith 

I'm LOVING your updates! The excitement is palpable even just through the internet. Whatever else people might say about NC, they certainly have done a great job in stoking the flames of excitement. You are so fortunate to be right in thick of it!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

You must be new here. 😉 Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I'm LOVING your updates! The excitement is palpable even just through the internet. Whatever else people might say about NC, they certainly have done a great job in stoking the flames of excitement. You are so fortunate to be right in thick of it!

Thank you so much LeeAnne.

• Like 1

Not sure why this occurred to me last night but..

When, in a few years, they decide to retire Symphony and Serenity it would be great for a special cruise for each of them   Maybe a long one - maybe duplicating each one's first cruise  Maybe meeting up with its replacement at the port that ends the cruise.  Special invites to those who have done the most cruises.

I know many think those are old ships and should be just junked but they made Crystal what it is today and I think should be honored at the end.

• Like 5

The new ocean ships make sense and are welcomed.  The existing competition is rolling out new vessels and their is a new competitor in the marketplace. They have to keep up with the Joneses  If you are new to Crystal or a casual Crystal cruiser, it can be a challenge justifying paying for a small cabin when for the same amount of money you can go on another luxury line and receive a cabin that is much larger.   The difference between the balcony cabin on the Symphony and the cabin I will have on the Explora 1 is significant.  I do not base my cruise decisions purely on the cabin but it is an important factor.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

Not sure why this occurred to me last night but..

When, in a few years, they decide to retire Symphony and Serenity it would be great for a special cruise for each of them   Maybe a long one - maybe duplicating each one's first cruise  Maybe meeting up with its replacement at the port that ends the cruise.  Special invites to those who have done the most cruises.

I know many think those are old ships and should be just junked but they made Crystal what it is today and I think should be honored at the end.

When their time comes I am sure they will do just that but hopefully not for awhile.  😄

Keith

3 hours ago, parallax said:

The new ocean ships make sense and are welcomed.  The existing competition is rolling out new vessels and their is a new competitor in the marketplace. They have to keep up with the Joneses  If you are new to Crystal or a casual Crystal cruiser, it can be a challenge justifying paying for a small cabin when for the same amount of money you can go on another luxury line and receive a cabin that is much larger.   The difference between the balcony cabin on the Symphony and the cabin I will have on the Explora 1 is significant.  I do not base my cruise decisions purely on the cabin but it is an important factor.  

You are aware that many of the "balcony cabins" on Crystal have been enlarged?? I've never done an accounting, but I'd guess it's over 50% have been eliminated and converted to 50% larger suites.

Patty